more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gezza

Quote from: F(f)CUK on March 01, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
As the father of a disabled son who has nearly died of pneumonia more than once, I have been following the coronavirus situation very carefully. We will have a period when they try and halt the spread before letting it go. We want it to hit in the summer to ensure that the hospitals are under less strain.

My favourite bit of news is that the alcohol gels that are selling out are bad for us. You have to wash your hands after use as there are bacteria that live on the alcohol that are worse for us than the normal bacteria. Within fifteen minutes you have twice as many bacteria on your hands than you would if you just washed with soap and water.

According to health expert on 5 Live this morning, who seemed to know what she was talking about, what you say about alcohol gels is simply not true with regard to tackling the Coronavirus.

Whitesideup

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on March 02, 2020, 07:51:13 AM
Quote from: cookieg on March 02, 2020, 07:00:59 AM
One of the very few things I remember from my Geography O-Level is Thomas Malthus and his theory on population growth. Maybe nature has had enough of the damage we are causing to the planet and is starting to fight back.

Can the planet start with QPR supporters  :dft012:
First QPR are cited as the only London club that host games without it constituting a large gathering, and now this post !!

Lol chaps. Keep it up !!!

F(f)CUK

Quote from: Gezza on March 02, 2020, 07:10:27 PM
Quote from: F(f)CUK on March 01, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
As the father of a disabled son who has nearly died of pneumonia more than once, I have been following the coronavirus situation very carefully. We will have a period when they try and halt the spread before letting it go. We want it to hit in the summer to ensure that the hospitals are under less strain.

My favourite bit of news is that the alcohol gels that are selling out are bad for us. You have to wash your hands after use as there are bacteria that live on the alcohol that are worse for us than the normal bacteria. Within fifteen minutes you have twice as many bacteria on your hands than you would if you just washed with soap and water.

According to health expert on 5 Live this morning, who seemed to know what she was talking about, what you say about alcohol gels is simply not true with regard to tackling the Coronavirus.
Yes, I heard her this morning. All I can say is that the interview that I quoted was from the Chief Medical Officer for the UK. Doesn't help when the medical profession doesn't provide a consistent message.

filham

There has been no official information comparing the seriousness of Coronavirus against the current Flu virus. Just possible that more people will suffer from Flu this year.

Tonywa

Quote from: SP on March 01, 2020, 02:38:32 PM
Some say the warmer weather will halt the spread?
What? Like it does for Summer colds?

cottage expat

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on March 02, 2020, 12:40:08 AM
Quote from: grandad on March 01, 2020, 07:39:20 PM
Influenza (flu) is a very common, highly infectious disease caused by a virus. It can be very dangerous, causing serious complications and death, especially for people in risk groups. In rare cases flu can kill people who are otherwise healthy. In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). Flu leads to hundreds of thousands of GP visits and tens of thousands of hospital stays a year.

Not wanting to show disrespect to those who have passed away due to this illness, but to put it into some sort of perspective, during the Great War between 9-11 million soldiers died, added to that was around 20 million civilians.  The year after the war ended, Spanish Flu killed between 40 - 50 million people.  At the time it effected over 25% of the worlds population....500 million people.  If 25% of today's world population were to be infected, we would be looking at around 1 billion, eight hundred & eighty two million, 500 thousand people.
I think TV & newspapers are simply trying to frighten people into panic buying or scaremongering them.  Look after those most at risk and keep an eye out for your neighbours especially if they are elderly. The world is not ending folks!!
[/quote

Well said !

KingofCheese

Influenza (flu) is a very common, highly infectious disease caused by a virus. It can be very dangerous, causing serious complications and death, especially for people in risk groups. In rare cases flu can kill people who are otherwise healthy. In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). Flu leads to hundreds of thousands of GP visits and tens of thousands of hospital stays a year.

If you take our population of 66million and this virus kills around 2% that will mean 1320000 deaths..does that put it into perspective? Let's assume that only 50% of the population get it then we are talking about 670,000 deaths.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

RaySmith

Quote from: cottage expat on March 02, 2020, 11:24:34 PM
Quote from: Fulham Tup North on March 02, 2020, 12:40:08 AM

Not wanting to show disrespect to those who have passed away due to this illness, but to put it into some sort of perspective, during the Great War between 9-11 million soldiers died, added to that was around 20 million civilians.  The year after the war ended, Spanish Flu killed between 40 - 50 million people.  At the time it effected over 25% of the worlds population....500 million people.  If 25% of today's world population were to be infected, we would be looking at around 1 billion, eight hundred & eighty two million, 500 thousand people.
I think TV & newspapers are simply trying to frighten people into panic buying or scaremongering them.  Look after those most at risk and keep an eye out for your neighbours especially if they are elderly. The world is not ending folks!!
[/quote

Well said !

Agree.

I think there has definitely been an  overreaction,  and a climate of panic has been  created by the media - who i don't think  are out to frighten people on purpose, but it's a sign of the times , goes along with the rise of the internet - an absurd overreaction to things that often aren't nearly as terrible as depicted.

Flu is a virus that   kills more people  percentage wise than Conovirus so far, and old  and sick people are more at risk from this, as they are at risk generally from infections.

Now we have a  flu  vaccination - free to older people in this country, and i believe a conovirus vaccination will  very soon become available.

Shutting down  mass gatherings and closing schools, etc,  because of this virus, just seems well over the top at the moment, considering the  percentage of people  dying from Conovirus - many who have been infected don't even realise they've had it.

The floods, caused by global warming are much more of threat tp people in this country, and taking action against the causes, and to mitigate the  effects, is far more important than this virus imo.

fulhamben

Quote from: KingofCheese on March 02, 2020, 11:46:56 PM

If you take our population of 66million and this virus kills around 2% that will mean 1320000 deaths..does that put it into perspective? Let's assume that only 50% of the population get it then we are talking about 670,000 deaths.
that 2% figure is way off as far as I'm aware. They only test those who died in hospital to see if it was corona that killed them. All those who were welded shut into their own homes were taken straight in for cremation without being tested if the accounts of the whistle blowers are to be believed.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

I Ronic

My original post was aimed more towards  large scale gatherings of people being cancelled. Which could lead to the last games of the season at best held behind closed doors at worst cancelled. If they were cancelled could you see the FA deciding that the tables at that moment were frozen and in the Championship for instance the top three went up?
Going back to the virus, the relatively low death toll at the moment maybe due in part to lock downs in certain areas. This may well work but it could have a devastating effect on economies. Which could cause bigger problems down the line.

fulhamben

Quote from: I Ronic on March 03, 2020, 08:46:47 AM
My original post was aimed more towards  large scale gatherings of people being cancelled. Which could lead to the last games of the season at best held behind closed doors at worst cancelled. If they were cancelled could you see the FA deciding that the tables at that moment were frozen and in the Championship for instance the top three went up?
Going back to the virus, the relatively low death toll at the moment maybe due in part to lock downs in certain areas. This may well work but it could have a devastating effect on economies. Which could cause bigger problems down the line.
if the fa just allowed the top 3 to go up, I'd imagine that would open them up to one hell of a law suit from every club that could still mathematically achieve that position. What happened in war time, did a league ever get suspended then
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Ged

Quote from: fulhamben on March 03, 2020, 09:05:29 AM
if the fa just allowed the top 3 to go up, I'd imagine that would open them up to one hell of a law suit from every club that could still mathematically achieve that position. What happened in war time, did a league ever get suspended then
In 1939 after a few games had been played they changed the rules no team was allowed to travel more than 50 miles and a max of 8000 fans per game later on this was increased to 15000

Statto

Quote from: fulhamben on March 03, 2020, 07:25:06 AM

that 2% figure is way off as far as I'm aware. They only test those who died in hospital to see if it was corona that killed them. All those who were welded shut into their own homes were taken straight in for cremation without being tested if the accounts of the whistle blowers are to be believed.

WHO is saying the mortality rate is 2-5% but I think that's them humouring the likes of China and Iran who are likely missing the most mild cases.

I think one of the reasons the authorities are so concerned about further spread is that actually, there are probably hundreds of cases already in the UK and other countries going under the radar because they're so mild.

Most Western experts seem to be expecting a mortality rate around 1%, if anything slightly lower.

But of course even that would be 10x as a bad as influenza which is something like 0.1%, and as indicated above, if it infected 50% of the UK population, just 1% of that would be 300,000 of our loved ones, in particular the sick and elderly, being taken in the coming months, and many more hospitalised. It's still an awful situation.

With that said, we're an awful long way from 50% of the population being infected. Even at the rate at 500+ new cases per day they're currently seeing in South Korea and Italy, it would take 3-4 year just to infect 1% of our population of 60m. The issue now is IMO is whether we see the controls those countries have implemented starting to work over the coming days and weeks, and the spread being successfully contained like it was in China.

Logicalman

Quote from: Robbie on March 01, 2020, 06:17:04 PM
It is bad flu and will be non-news by the end of the Month.

Which Month are you thinking of? They said the same thing in January, then by February they kinda agreed it was not as containable as they first let on, and this month it is still moving into new countries. So which Month was it you meant?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quite right, we are already seeing this in action, not only in the short term with the markets, but in the long term whereby China being a source for so many businesses world-wide have cut production, in some areas almost totally, and so those reliant businesses are already forecasting reduced sales and profits (Apple amongst them for the big players has already seen some 100 billion USD market value drop). Some of the smaller businesses just won't survive if this continues for months.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Andy S

If the corona virus became so bad that large gatherings were not allowed and some of the biggest events were shut down. Would the play off final be delayed and for how long or would 3rd place be enough to get promoted

I Ronic

Quote from: Andy S on March 04, 2020, 03:03:14 PM
If the corona virus became so bad that large gatherings were not allowed and some of the biggest events were shut down. Would the play off final be delayed and for how long or would 3rd place be enough to get promoted

If the play off final is delayed then the winners are at a disadvantage  as they'll  get a very short window to strengthen the team.
If third goes up automatically then the teams below will probably go legal against the FA.
It could of course be settled  with the toss of a coin. Whatever happens nobody's going.to be happy with the outcome.

PhilEsh

Quote from: Andy S on March 04, 2020, 03:03:14 PM

Or could the game itself be played behind closed doors to avoid any criticism from other teams about unfairness, and the process of promotion being adhered to incorrectly?

grandad

Quote from: TerryR on March 01, 2020, 11:27:27 PM
Pope now seems to be suspected of being infected
From all the people kissing his ring. The one on his finger possibly.
Where there's a will there's a wife

JoelH5

Quote from: Statto on March 03, 2020, 10:53:23 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on March 03, 2020, 07:25:06 AM

WHO is saying the mortality rate is 2-5% but I think that's them humouring the likes of China and Iran who are likely missing the most mild cases.

I think one of the reasons the authorities are so concerned about further spread is that actually, there are probably hundreds of cases already in the UK and other countries going under the radar because they're so mild.

Most Western experts seem to be expecting a mortality rate around 1%, if anything slightly lower.

But of course even that would be 10x as a bad as influenza which is something like 0.1%, and as indicated above, if it infected 50% of the UK population, just 1% of that would be 300,000 of our loved ones, in particular the sick and elderly, being taken in the coming months, and many more hospitalised. It's still an awful situation.

With that said, we're an awful long way from 50% of the population being infected. Even at the rate at 500+ new cases per day they're currently seeing in South Korea and Italy, it would take 3-4 year just to infect 1% of our population of 60m. The issue now is IMO is whether we see the controls those countries have implemented starting to work over the coming days and weeks, and the spread being successfully contained like it was in China.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The transmission rate is x2/3 meaning one person on average infects two to three others. That means the more that get infected, the quicker it spreads. In about 2 to 3 months we could be at a peak.
I was there, standing in the Putney end