https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: filham on March 26, 2020, 12:00:56 PM
Quote from: SP on March 01, 2020, 02:38:32 PM
Some say the warmer weather will halt the spread?

I understand countries in the Southern have suffered in spite of it being their summer and our winter which suggests to me the warmer weather is not going to help us.

That seems to be the word coming out of Australia and, of course, much of Italy and Spain experience temperatures at this time of the year akin to our summer. We can't put our reliance on that.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

fulhamben

Quote from: Holders on March 26, 2020, 12:08:17 PM

I understand countries in the Southern have suffered in spite of it being their summer and our winter which suggests to me the warmer weather is not going to help us.

That seems to be the word coming out of Australia and, of course, much of Italy and Spain experience temperatures at this time of the year akin to our summer. We can't put our reliance on that.
for all we know, it has helped to stop the spread and it could have been so much more worse in n those places had it been cold and damp
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

love4ffc

Here in the States we are getting conflicting messages from all levels of government.  Trump says one thing and wants to see the American people get back to business by Easter.  Our state government says only those who are more vulnerable to the virus should self-isolate.  Our local government has ordered a 14-day shelter in place and isolate. 

I wish they all could just get on the same page.   

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

toshes mate

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4P91VrfPGw

This video explains the tests needed to prove a person's immunity from the virus and why current testing may fall short of those requirements.  Answers are provided as to how suitable testing can be achieved at some point in the foreseeable future.

As with all Medcram videos Dr Seheult keeps it very clear, relatively simple, and interesting throughout.  This video lasts 18 minutes or so.

There is a further Medcram update number 43 which touches upon immunity again and talks about the benefits of the BCG vaccination against TB as a possible way of giving people, particularly health care workers,  a better immune system defence against Covid-19.  This video is about 17 minutes long.

Oakeshott

Not just Trump whose wondering whether current strategies are best.

"New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that his stay-at-home order for the entirety of New York State was "probably not the best public health strategy."

In a press conference in Albany, Cuomo said the smartest way forward would be a public health strategy that complemented a "get-back-to-work strategy."

"What we did was we closed everything down. That was our public health strategy. Just close everything, all businesses, old workers, young people, old people, short people, tall people," said Cuomo. "Every school closed, everything."

"If you rethought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don't know that you would say quarantine everyone," Cuomo admitted. "I don't even know that that was the best public health policy. Young people then quarantined with older people was probably not the best public health strategy because the younger people could have been exposing the older people to an infection. "

Cuomo stressed the need for both public health and economic growth. "We have to do both," said the governor. "We're working on it."

As reported on the Fox news website. Cuomo of course a Democrat.

KingofCheese

Italy is cold in March generally.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

I Ronic

Quote from: KingofCheese on March 26, 2020, 11:07:38 PM

Particularly the north, where things have been worse. Also as mentioned they have an ageing population. Couple that with the fact that you often get several generations living under one roof and they are a very sociable  group of people could be a reason they have suffered so badly. Much like the Spanish, who are having such a bad time of it as well.

toshes mate

A very measured look at Covid-19 from Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg, who gives a rather clear and alarming message to us all about what coronavirus epidemiology really says about influenza related illnesses and deaths.  Not a good video to watch for those who prefer panic to calm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=563&v=p_AyuhbnPOI&feature=emb_title

KingofCheese

Quote from: I Ronic on March 27, 2020, 06:47:06 AM

Particularly the north, where things have been worse. Also as mentioned they have an ageing population. Couple that with the fact that you often get several generations living under one roof and they are a very sociable  group of people could be a reason they have suffered so badly. Much like the Spanish, who are having such a bad time of it as well.

And places with many smokers too...glad I gave up 20 years ago..
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

fulhamben

The prime minister has tested positive for corona virus

Holders

That's why we didn't see him last night then. Perhaps this would be a good time for that visit to Trump.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ByTheRiver

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Holders on March 27, 2020, 11:42:02 AM
That's why we didn't see him last night then. Perhaps this would be a good time for that visit to Trump.

:005:

Ged

Quote from: KingofCheese on March 27, 2020, 10:33:19 AM
Quote from: I Ronic on March 27, 2020, 06:47:06 AM

And places with many smokers too...glad I gave up 20 years ago..

Italy Feb 25th 11 deaths
UK March 13th 11deaths
13 days later
Italy  March 9th 463 deaths
UK  March 26th 578 deaths

john dempsey

Quote from: toshes mate on March 27, 2020, 09:15:27 AM
A very measured look at Covid-19 from Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg, who gives a rather clear and alarming message to us all about what coronavirus epidemiology really says about influenza related illnesses and deaths.  Not a good video to watch for those who prefer panic to calm.

That is probably nearer the truth than any MSM rubbish being spouted 24/7. the king IS naked

Twig

Quote from: Statto on March 25, 2020, 06:19:11 PM
Quote from: Statto on March 24, 2020, 05:28:09 PM
Day-on-day increase in cases over last two weeks
22.8%
21.3%
16.9%
19.8%
17.0%
13.1%
12.6%
13.4%
14.9%
14.6%
13.9%
10.4%
8.1%
8.2%

7.5% today

They've really turned the tide in Italy

Am I right in thinking these numbers are on the rise again today?

Ged

Quote from: john dempsey on March 27, 2020, 11:55:46 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on March 27, 2020, 09:15:27 AM

That is probably nearer the truth than any MSM rubbish being spouted 24/7. the king IS naked
From Wiki
His comments on the COVID 19 pandemic caused criticism from German scientists. Various German media examined Wodarg's claims for accuracy and concluded that his statements would largely contradict the verifiable facts, some statements were neither refutable nor verifiable, but on closer examination proved to be misleading. It would mix up facts that had nothing to do with each other.

Transparency International Germany, on whose board of directors Wodarg is on, distanced itself from his statements on 17 March 2020: "Transparency International Germany rejects the sweeping criticism of board member Dr Wolfgang Wodarg of the government measures to protect the population from the corona virus. Wolfgang Wodarg is speaking on this matter as a private individual and not in his capacity as a member of the Management Board." On March 25, 2020, the board decided to suspend his membership in the association "until further notice", which means that Wodarg can no longer exercise any functions on the board or as head of the health working group for the time being. The Board of Directors will commission an independent committee to look into Wodarg's statements about the Conora virus and to determine whether his behaviour has harmed the interests of Transparency International Germany.

fulhamben

Quote from: Twig on March 27, 2020, 11:58:19 AM
22.8%
21.3%
16.9%
19.8%
17.0%
13.1%
12.6%
13.4%
14.9%
14.6%
13.9%
10.4%
8.1%
8.2%

7.5% today

the numbers are always pretty much on the rise, it's just they use percentages instead.
If you have 1000 infected and 100 more get infected today you say 10% rise
But if you have 10,000 infected and 900 new cases today you can say that it's dropped to 9%.  It's a stupid way of doing it if you ask me

Neil D

22.8%
21.3%
16.9%
19.8%
17.0%
13.1%
12.6%
13.4%
14.9%
14.6%
13.9%
10.4%
8.1%
8.2%

7.5% today

Unfortunately yes.  Next set of figures released 17.00 GMT.  The guy from Civil Protection who chaired the daily press meetings was absent yesterday through illness.  In the meantime, 41 doctors have died.

Just now: the president of the Lombardy Region says the number of infected has fallen and he thinks the decline has started. 

Ged

Quote from: fulhamben on March 27, 2020, 12:33:39 PM
22.8%
21.3%
16.9%
19.8%
17.0%
13.1%
12.6%
13.4%
14.9%
14.6%
13.9%
10.4%
8.1%
8.2%

7.5% today

the numbers are always pretty much on the rise, it's just they use percentages instead.
If you have 1000 infected and 100 more get infected today you say 10% rise
But if you have 10,000 infected and 900 new cases today you can say that it's dropped to 9%.  It's a stupid way of doing it if you ask me
Thats right i if you start at say 100 a 22.8% rise would mean 128 new people got infected and if you have reached 500 a 8.3% rise would mean 541 new people got infected even a 1% increase is bad news