more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 05/03/20...

Started by WhiteJC, March 04, 2020, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

I was covering the Swansea match in the Sky Sports studio and it looked like it was going to be one of those nights. Earlier on I'd been sitting on the panel and I was telling everyone how Aleksandar Mitrović is basically the best centre forward in the division. The game went all the way to the 87th minute and then Mitro lets me down with his penalty! Julian Warren, who was presenting that night, says to me, "so much for Mitro being the difference." I couldn't believe he missed the penalty, and then he scores the header to get me out of jail with a big I told you so! It was a great header, and showed the character of the man. He could have sulked after missing the penalty but he just kept going, and that's what we want to see.

It was important to follow that win up with similar against Preston North End, and that was a very good result as they're having an impressive season. We played some really good attacking football on Wednesday, but Saturday was all about the result. Results are more important than performances at this stage of the season, so don't expect to see great, entertaining football every week, as there will be occasions where we need to grind it out. It was a fairly even game of few clear-cut chances, so it was very pleasing that we were the ones to take ours.

There are only 10 games left now, and they're all cup finals. Fulham are not out of that top-two race, don't worry about that. West Brom had a wobble at the weekend, losing at home to Wigan, so there's everything to play for. We've got so many games against the teams around us, so they'll all be six-pointers. We're better in the bigger games, I would say, because teams come at us a bit more, rather than sitting back. I think we can be confident going into the business end of the campaign.

March is looking like a very tasty month indeed. Bristol City aren't bad, they're a high energy team, as are Leeds, and we've also got two West London derbies, Brentford and QPR, where there's going to be no holds barred. Both of them be looking at us as the biggest club out of the three, so they'll want to take a scalp. Leeds is going to be a great game, that's one that you want to play in and is one that every Fulham fan will want to go to. The Club is putting on return coach travel for a fiver which is great. If you fancy going up there, I know it's a long journey, but Elland Road is a great ground to visit, one that's worth witnessing. It's such a big game for Fulham as well, so it would be great to have a full away following.

First up, though, is Bristol City away on Saturday. They've had a few reversals lately, but that's how it goes in the Championship. They're definitely not going to be top-two, so they just want to make sure they end up in the top-six. They're still in with a squeak, but this winless run has put Lee Johnson under a little bit of pressure. Maybe it's a good time to play them?

Hopefully having had a successful promotion charge recently will work in our favour, because sometimes you need to play with your head as well as your heart. Everybody is going to be giving it their all in these last 10 games, but keeping your head is the biggest thing, especially when you're going into the high octane atmospheres. Some players can buckle under the pressure, but I reckon ours have enough experience to ride the wave.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/04/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

'A bit frazzled' - What the pundits are saying about Nottingham Forest, Leeds United & West Brom

Nottingham Forest news: We've rounded up what the pundits are saying about the promotion run-in ahead of the final ten matches of the 2019-20 Championship campaign

Nottingham Forest are still in the promotion race as the season enters its conclusion.

There are just ten games remaining for Sabri Lamouchi's side to gain promotion to the Premier League.

Forest, who have been impressive this season under the Frenchman, sit in fourth place after Monday night's 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough.

After going within one point of Leeds United after the 2-0 defeat of Marcelo Bielsa's side at the City Ground last month, Forest are now eight behind the Elland Road side after a run of one win in six.

But it is not over yet, with West Bromwich Albion at the top of the table still catchable following their defeat to Wigan Athletic at The Hawthorns on Saturday.

They are only nine points clear of Forest and that it not insurmountable given the nature of the Championship.

Despite automatic promotion looking on the cards this season, Forest are still not sure of the play-off place with only six points separating them from Bristol City in seventh.

It's sure to be a thrilling climax to the season - but what do the experts think?

Our colleagues at BristolLive have rounded up everything top pundits have said about the promotion race...

David Prutton
Former Red Prutton reckons Leeds have done well to grind out their results and now they have confidence they are starting to click, as evidenced by the 4-0 thrashing of Hull City at the weekend.

"We've looked at how efficient Leeds have been with those 1-0 wins but it looked like when they clicked into gear a team would unfortunately be on the back of a hiding like that, which Hull were," he told Sky Sports' EFL podcast.

"The fact they're scoring goals from all areas now, considering we've spent a season discussing Patrick Bamford, who gets different opinions thrown at him.

"From a shot-conversion point of view, Leeds were third-bottom, but it shows when they are clicking, they can put a team to bed.

"Granted, it was against Hull side completely out of form but if it's three points that gets them over the edge and sends them to the promise land, they won't care who they get it against."

Fulham, though, are hot on the heels of Leeds with just five points separating the two sides.

Forest are three points behind Scott Parker's side, who won 2-0 at home to Preston North End on Saturday.

"There's a bit of steel and character in this Fulham team, they've got that very much in their pockets," Prutton added.

"If they're going to get up this season, they've done it a slightly different way to last time they went up.

"It's fascinating the way it's panning out as there's an assumption that, having gone up to the Premier League and gone back down, Fulham might find it more straightforward, but absolutely not.

"It's as tough for them as it is for the two in the automatic places."

Brentford have fallen away in recent weeks and now sit 11 points off the top two.

They are three behind Forest, in fifth place.

"It feels like, as Leeds were trying to build their way back towards getting victories, the game between them and Brentford was quite a pivotal game," Prutton continued.

"If you asked a Brentford fan about where they should be and what they expect from this season, realistically, how they're set up, a wonderful model of development, we know what the strike force is capable of but they do operate under a lesser weight of expectations than a Leeds, Fulham or West Brom, there's no doubt about it.

"It's that classic thing of that they started getting talked about, and maybe they thought 'we're getting talked about now'.

"Thomas Frank is a confident fella and you can sense he's happy to be part of the conversation but pressure comes with that - maybe, as we've seen West Brom and Leeds have had a blip, this is theirs, but it could set them up for a strong end to the season."

Andy Hinchcliffe
Hinchcliffe, formerly of Manchester City, Everton and Sheffield Wednesday, reckons it is Leeds who should be feeling the pressure most.

"The only problem with Leeds is that Leeds are under the most pressure in the Championship," Hinchcliffe told Sky Sports.

"They're not under the same pressure that West Brom are under.

"After what happened last season – we know what the fans are like at Elland Road, every time they play the noise there is absolutely relentless.

"I think the team can sometimes be a bit frazzled by it.

"The pressure that they're under – they want Marcelo Bielsa to stay as well, if they don't go up there's a good chance that he could be going so the pressure on them is far more than it was last season.

"People criticise them because of the chances that they miss but I still think they're a very good side and will get promoted."

Danny Murphy
The former Liverpool midfielder is backing West Brom to get promoted - and reckons Leeds will follow them up.

"Hull sold two of their best players, they struggled," he told talkSPORT.

"Leeds are a hell of a good side.

"They've had their wobble.

"Fulham had the chance to overtake them but they drew to Milwall, lost to Barnsley and now the gap is back again.

"It's a phenomenal league in so many ways.

"There are still 10 games to go – anything could happen.

"Even Brentford could surprise people.

"I think it's between Fulham and Leeds.

"I just think when you look at the West Brom squad they can call on the experience.

"They've got experienced players that can get them over the line."

"I'd go West Brom if I had to pick one."

John Percy
The Daily Telegraph's midlands expert fancies West Brom to get promoted with a six-point gap to third place as it stands.

"I think they'll do it," he told Sky Sports' Sunday Supplement panel.

"Slaven Bilic has done a great job, West Brom have always done well when the fans have had an affinity with the manager.

"He's energised the place, they've played some great football.

"They've had a few games where they've lost to teams they should beat but some of the football they've been playing is brilliant.

"Pereira has been a fantastic signing for them, Livermore has been reinvented, like Robson-Kanu - players you'd written off a little bit as Premier League players have come to the fore."

Not the Top 20
George Elek of the 'Not the Top 20' podcast reckons the current teams in first and second will go up.

"I'm going to say Leeds and West Brom will be our top two," he said.

"I don't think it's a given they'll be in the order they are now, as in my opinion Leeds at their best are the best side in the division and we're now seeing them back to that level again.

"If there'll be a change around in order it will be between those two rather than anyone trying to usurp them."

Despite Fulham, Forest and Brentford in contention, he can only see the Craven Cottage side challenging Leeds.

"I think the way the table is at the moment, Fulham are the only team who feasibly will," he added.

"Even if, in my opinion, Brentford are the side who could challenge the top two in terms of quality, there's now a six-point gap between them and Fulham they'd have to make up even before looking above that.

"We're getting to the stage of the season now where you've got to drop your preconceptions on who is the best side and look at the table to work out the actual maths about these teams going past others."

Ali Maxwell, Elek's co-host, reckons the play-offs are far too close to call given the lack of form of any of the challengers.

"Between the teams fourth and 14th, in their last four matches, so 40 matches overall, there have only been seven wins," he said.

"Three teams out of that 10 haven't won at all in their last four games, so does anyone actually want this?

"Put aside the automatic promotion battle, it's great news for Leeds and West Brom because, even with another wobble, Fulham aside is anyone good enough to put together a run?

"If you drop it down to the play-offs - Forest and Brentford are in a decent position, but Preston North End, Bristol City, Blackburn Rovers, Swansea City and Millwall, I don't know if it's because we cover it so closely but all of those teams have huge flaws.

"None of those teams seem to be the sort to make that late run that apparently always happens.

"These are all, in their different ways, quite flawed teams - even looking at performance data to try and find a team that might be the one, it's the top two that are miles clear, then Brentford and Fulham, who aren't dominant teams, and it's hard to imagine a non-dominant team putting together a run."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-leeds-united-fulham-3912377

WhiteJC

Games for the weekend 07/03
This weekend we travel down to Ashton Gate to take on Bristol City for the early kick-off of 12:30.
Our win last week end puts us 9 points clear of 7th place, which funnily enough is Bristol City, so at this point in the season we look OK for at least a top six place. Forest, who drew their Monday evening game against Middlesbrough with a last-gasp equaliser, play on Friday evening against Millwall, a win by 2 clear goals would see them leap-frog us into 3rd, at least until after our game, a win or a draw would keep us ahead of them.

AK47 and Cyrus Christie were both impressive coming on as substitutes, Cyrus will almost certainly start and AK surely must be close to starting a game?

Bristol City are a bit of a bogey team, we've had only 2 wins, with 5 losses and 1 draw.

COYWs

Games of Interest...
Friday 6th

Nottm Forest v Millwall

Saturday 7th
Bristol City v Fulham
Brentford v Sheff Wed
Charlton v Middlesborough
Leeds v Huddersfield
Preston NE v QPR
Swansea v West Brom

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://bit.ly/2TjU088

WhiteJC

The clear advantage Leeds United have over Fulham and their rivals in the Championship run-in

Just 10 games of the 2019/20 Sky Bet Championship campaign remain and the race for automatic promotion looks set to go down to the wire

The race to the finish line is officially on.

There are just 10 more matches to go before the curtain comes down on another action-packed, unpredictable, excitable Championship campaign.

And whilst the finish line is slowly coming into view for all of the division's 24 clubs, it is the sides at the very top of the table that are probably feeling the pressure more than most.

Right now, just nine points separate West Bromwich Albion at the top of the table and Nottingham Forest in fourth, with Leeds United and Fulham currently finding themselves sandwiched between the two Midlands clubs.

Currently, the Baggies lie top of the table on 69 points, Leeds are second one point further back, Fulham have 63 points to their name and Forest are on 60.

It is proving to be an incredibly tight race and it has all of the ingredients to making it an intriguing and exciting watch over the next few weeks.

But the main question is: who has the easiest looking run-in over the next few weeks and who is going up?

To answer your question, LeedsLive has taken a close look at what the next 10 fixtures hold for Leeds and their fellow promotion rivals, including the average points per game (PPG) value of each team - something that Reddit user u/Bumble13 has crunched the data for.

Leeds United:

Huddersfield Town (H) -  Saturday, March 7 - 1.17 PPG

Cardiff City (A) - Sunday, March 15 - 1.42 PPG

Fulham (H) - Wednesday, March 18 - 1.75 PPG

Luton Town (H) - Saturday, March 21 - 0.94 PPG

Blackburn Rovers (A) - Saturday, April 4 - 1.47 PPG

Stoke City (H) - Friday, April 10 - 1.08 PPG

Swansea City (A) - Monday, April 13 - 1.44 PPG

Barnsley (H) - Saturday, April 18 - 0.94 PPG

Derby County (A) - Saturday, April 25 - 1.33 PPG

Charlton Athletic (H) - Saturday, May 2 - 1.08 PPG

On paper, the fixture list appears to have been kind to Leeds as far as their difficulty level for the run-in is concerned. As the Championship table stands at the moment, Marcelo Bielsa's side have only got to face three sides currently inside the top-10, with Fulham being their only opponents currently occupying themselves in the top-six.

From the PPG scores of Leeds' 10 remaining opponents this season added up, the average PPG score of the Whites' opponents for the remainder of the season is 1.26, which works out an average of playing a side in 16th position in the table.

West Brom:

Swansea City (A) - Saturday, March 7 - 1.44 PPG

Birmingham City (H) - Saturday, March 14 - 1.31 PPG

Brentford (A) - Tuesday, March 17 - 1.58 PPG

Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Saturday, March 21 - 1.33 PPG

Hull City (H) - Saturday, April 4 - 1.13 PPG

Derby County (H) - Friday, April 10 - 1.33 PPG

Blackburn Rovers (A), Monday, April 13 - 1.47 PPG

Fulham (H) - Saturday, April 18 - 1.75 PPG

Huddersfield Town (A) - Saturday, April 25 - 1.17 PPG

QPR (H) - Saturday, May 2 - 1.31 PPG

As you can see from the fixture list above, Slaven Bilic's side face a much tougher run to the finish line than Leeds do, with West Brom having to face two direct promotion rivals in Fulham and Brentford before the season is out. On the flip side, though, the Baggies do have easier-looking fixtures, if there is such a thing in the Championship, against strugglers Huddersfield Town and Hull City.

From the PPG scores of West Brom's 10 remaining opponents this term added up, the average PPG score of their opponents for the remainder of the campaign adds up to 1.35, which is slightly higher than Leeds' It works out that the average league table position of West Brom's final 10 opponents is 12th.

Fulham:

Bristol City (A) - Saturday, March 7 - 1.50 PPG

Brentford (H) - Friday,  March 13 - 1.58 PPG

Leeds United (A) - Wednesday, March 18 - 1.89 PPG

QPR (A) - Saturday, March 21 - 1.31 PPG

Birmingham City (H) - Saturday, April 4 - 1.31 PPG

Nottingham Forest (A) - Friday, April 10 - 1.67 PPG

Cardiff City (H) - Tuesday, April 14 - 1.42 PPG

West Brom (A) Saturday, April 18 - 1.92 PPG

Sheffield Wednesday (H) - Saturday, April 25 - 1.33 PPG

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday, May 2 - 1.11 PPG

It is fair to say that the fixture list has not been overly that kind to Fulham for their final 10 Championship matches of the campaign at all. Of their 10 remaining fixtures, the Cottagers have got to lock horns with all three of their direct automatic promotion rivals, all three matches of which are away from home, as well as a home clash with automatic promotion outsiders Brentford.

Those four fixtures have bumped up the average PPG score of Fulham's opponents between now and the first weekend in May to 1.50, meaning the average league position of their opponents over the next two months in seventh.

Nottingham Forest:

Millwall (A) - Friday, March 6 - 1.42 PPG

Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Saturday, March 14 - 1.33 PPG

Huddersfield Town (H) - Wednesday, March 18 - 1.17 PPG

Bristol City (H) - Sunday, March 22 - 1.50 PPG

Derby County (A) - Saturday, April 4 - 1.33 PPG

Fulham (H) - Friday, April 10 - 1.75 PPG

Preston North End (A) - Monday, April 13 - 1.56 PPG

Swansea City (H) - Saturday, April 18 - 1.44 PPG

Barnsley (A) - Saturday, April 25 - 0.94 PPG

Stoke City (H) - Saturday, May 2 - 1.08 PPG

On paper, Forest's final 10 matches are a mixed-bag. Whilst they face tricky opponents in Fulham and play-off hopefuls Bristol City and Preston North End, they do have easier-looking fixtures against Huddersfield Town, Barnsley and Stoke City.

The average PPG score of Forest's final 10 league games is 1.35, which is the exact same as West Brom's, meaning the average league position of their opponents between now and the end of the season is 12th.

Summary:

In conclusion, based on PPG averages, it is Leeds that have the easiest looking run-in between now and the end of the season, with the average league table position of their remaining opponents this season being 16th.

The fixture list has been kind to them and it appears as though Bielsa's side have the best chance of going up automatically out of the quartet of sides that look the most likely to scrap it out for the two promotion places.

West Brom and Nottingham Forest have a mixed-bag of remaining fixtures, with the average PPG score of their opponents calculating to a side that would be 12th in the table.

But for Fulham, their run-in looks anything far from straight forward. They have a tough batch of remaining games and the average league position of their opponents based on PPG is 7th, meaning they face a stern test between now and the first weekend in May.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/clear-advantage-leeds-united-over-17855783

WhiteJC

10 to go: 3 factors that will define Leeds United's season from here

Leeds United are just 10 games away from ending their 16-year exile from the Premier League, with Marcelo Bielsa's men currently five points ahead of third-placed Fulham.

The Whites have not competed in the top tier since 2004, and have since endured three seasons in League One before returning to the Championship in 2010.

Although in great form, Whites fans will not be counting their chickens just yet after seeing their side throw away automatic promotion last term.

After a dip in form from mid-December to the start of February, the Whites have now gone five games unbeaten and have won their last four without conceding a single goal.

It seems in their centenary year, the fight for promotion is well and truly back in United's hands, as they look to make their 100th year one to certainly remember for all the right reasons.

Here we take a look at three factors that will define United's season from here...

Home form
Leeds fans will tell you that there are no easy games in the Championship, with relegation-threatened Wigan Athletic beating the Whites at Elland Road in consecutive seasons.

However, starting with Huddersfield Town on Saturday, United have six remaining games at home, five of which are against teams who are in potential relegation battles.

Although Huddersfield, Luton, Stoke, Barnsley, and Charlton will be scrapping for every point, Leeds must make their superiority count in these fixtures, as they did when they played Hull at the weekend.

Leeds have only lost three games at Elland Road this season, and should they be on their game across these five fixtures and take maximum points, it will go a long way in helping define the way United's season pans out.

Starting games on the front foot
In 19 of their 20 wins so far this term, United have been the team to take the lead and as of Saturday have won every away game they have gone ahead in under Marcelo Bielsa.

Leeds have only managed to come back and win once from a losing position this season, against Millwall back in January and have only won seven points all season from losing positions.

Bielsa's side seems more mature and experienced this season, having shown how well they can close out games in their three consecutive 1-0 victories in February.

As good as they are now at seeing out games, fans will be hoping their side can continue to start quickly in order to take control of games early on.

Keeping up this rediscovered defensive form
Before the Whites' capitulation against Cardiff on 14th December, the side boasted the best defensive record in England but would go on an 11-match run without a clean sheet following that 3-3 draw.

Leeds' last four games have seen the Whites shut out Bristol City, Reading, Middlesbrough, and Hull City, and against the latter didn't appear to be phased on the pitch by Kiko Casilla's recent FA ban.

Leeds have only found the back of the net more than twice on six occasions this term and have won half of their 20 wins by a single goal margin.

Should United keep up this defensive form it could prove to be a defining factor in the Whites' potential promotion.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/10-to-go-3-factors-that-will-define-leeds-uniteds-season-from-here/

WhiteJC

David Prutton's predicted Championship table so far

All season we have been asking our resident Sky Bet EFL expert David Prutton to predict every Championship match, but how has he been getting on?

We tallied up all his predictions so far and put them into a league table, and compared it with the actual Championship table on this week's Sky Sports EFL Podcast...

Prutton's predicted table

Here is what the Sky Bet Championship table would look like if all David Prutton's predictions this season had come true, including each side's position difference (PD) with the actual table...

Prutton says...
"The Championship is notoriously unpredictable, but it really does infuriate people when you don't predict it right every week!

"I enter into these predictions every single week on a completely unbiased footing with no grudges or ill-will against any team, regardless of what people tell me the feedback is! I always make sure I approach them in good faith, with a kind heart and an open mind!

"From what I've seen, and the general consensus when you listen to other players and managers is that West Brom and Leeds are the best in the division on their day, so it is not too far beyond comprehension to predict they are going to win more than they have.

"The blip they both had didn't catch us so much by surprise, but it certainly lasted longer than we though it would, and maybe that's where the discrepancy lies in terms of how many more points I have given them.

"I probably didn't see Sheffield Wednesday's slump coming and being as drastic as it has, but it is Hull City that have caught me most by surprise in this table.

"I think how they've been playing since the turn of the year, with the players who have left and the horrendous injury list, and that has to come into it. But when it comes to my predictions I have obviously been operating in a parallel universe where none of that has happened!

"And I should probably apologise to Wigan. If Paul [Cook] pays any attention to it whatsoever then maybe it has helped fuel a lot of their fire, with the small twig that I would be in that sense."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/34681/11948031/david-pruttons-predicted-championship-table-so-far

WhiteJC

'Brentford aren't all that', 'Fulham' – Many Nottingham Forest fans weigh in on play-off debate

Nottingham Forest will be keen to get back to winning ways in the Sky Bet Championship on Friday night, as they prepare to take on Millwall at the City Ground.

The Reds battled hard to rescue a late point against Middlesbrough on Monday evening, with Lewis Grabban flicking past Aynsley Pears on 86 minutes as the game ended 2-2 at the Riverside.

Forest have now won only one of their last five games and have subsequently slipped eight points away from the automatic promotion places, therefore a win on Friday would be massive.

Sabri Lamouchi's side, though, sit six points clear of seventh place, and a top-six finish is looking increasingly likely for the Reds this term.

Out of all the teams currently sitting inside the top-six, Forest have performed really well this season, losing only once against West Bromwich Albion and going unbeaten against everybody else.

Forest have showed that they can compete with the very best in the division, and because of this, you would expect them to do well if they do book their place in the play-offs.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/brentford-arent-all-that-fulham-many-nottingham-forest-fans-weigh-in-on-play-off-debate/

WhiteJC

3 things we've learned about Scott Parker this season at Fulham

With 10 games left of the season, Fulham look well set to reach the play-offs and potentially even sneak into the automatic promotion places.

Scott Parker's side are third in the Championship as things stand–with a nine-point cushion above seventh-place Bristol City and five points back from Leeds United in second.

Leeds and league leaders West Bromwich Albion have been the two standout sides in the division this season but Fulham have not been far below their level, in what is Parker's first full season in charge.

With a number of top-seven sides still to play before the end of the season, we may learn a lot about the Cottagers boss over the next few months.

Parker was appointed last February with the club starring down the barrel of Premier League relegation.

He was unable to lead them to safety but has given them an excellent chance of bouncing straight back up in his first full campaign in charge.

With that in mind, here are three things we've learned about Parker this season at Fulham...

His possession-heavy, attacking style of play.
Given that Parker arrived at the club during a relegation battle, it always seemed like this season would provide a better reflection of what his preferred style of play as a manager would be.

We've discovered that this season, as the English coach has got his side playing a positive and attacking style that is pass-heavy and utilises his dangerous wide players.

That is emphasised by the fact that Fulham average 58.9% possession and have made the most short passes of any side in the Championship and the third-most crosses (Whoscored).

It will be interesting to see how much that changes if they're promoted but so far this season, his style has been clear.

He has got the best out of some players by forcing them to adapt.
One thing Parker has done really well this season is get the best out of players by forcing them to adapt to new roles.

Bobby Reid and Josh Onomah are two prime examples of this.

In the previous two seasons at Bristol City and Cardiff City, Reid has been used as either a striker, a number 10, or a winger, but Parker has shifted him back into central midfield to great effect in recent weeks.

The same can be said for Onomah, who arrived from Tottenham Hotspur as an attacking midfielder but has been utilised in a deeper role by Parker and has had success.

He's not been afraid to trust his team's defensive ability.
While Fulham have been in the ascendancy for the majority of their games this season, one thing that has been noticeable is that he is not afraid to allow his side to sit back and trust in their defensive line.

The recent 2-0 win against Preston North End was a perfect example of this.

Preston piled the pressure on Fulham and had some dangerous chances but Parker trusted in his side's defensive ability to absorb the pressure and make the most of their opportunities.

They did exactly that and it worked to great effect, with Fulham coming away 2-0 winners.

He will likely have to trust his side's defensive ability regularly if they're promoted this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-things-weve-learned-about-scott-parker-this-season-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Leeds United: Fans react to Langford's appointment ahead of Huddersfield clash

Leeds United take on Huddersfield Town at Elland Road on Saturday in the Championship and Oliver Langford has been appointed as the referee. The Whites head into this fixture in second place, just a point behind league leaders West Bromwich Albion and five points clear of third-placed Fulham.

Langford's assistants will be Paul Hodskinson and Robert Merchant with Ben Toner being named as the fourth official. Here's how some of the club's fans have reacted to the news of Langford's appointment.

What do we think?

Langford has taken charge of four Leeds United fixtures this season – three in the Championship and one in the second round of the EFL Cup (via Transfermarkt.co.uk). Of those fixtures, the Whites have lost two, drawn one and been beaten on penalties in the other – leaving a record that doesn't make positive reading for those who support the club.

Since the start of the campaign, the referee has officiated 21 Championship fixtures and has handed out no fewer than 90 yellow cards. In our view, whilst the Whites' record with Langford in charge isn't great, it shouldn't be used as an excuse before the teams have even taken to the field.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/03/twitter/leeds-united-fans-react-to-langfords-appointment-ahead-of-huddersfield-clash/

WhiteJC

Fulham FC launches inclusivity initiatives and sensory packs for fans

English Football League side Fulham FC joins a growing number of sports organizations that are making efforts to introduce and improve accessibility at its home games by announcing it will provide support and equipment for fans with sensory needs.

Through a partnership with US-based non-profit Kulture City it will improve the matchday experience for fans with sensory needs such as autism, ADHD, or Downs syndrome with kits that contain noise-canceling headphones, cue cards and fidget toys.

Kulture City will also provide training for staff at Fulham FC to help support stewards and facility consultation to cater to fans' needs.

Kulture City has been partnered with a wide range of professional sports teams in the US and around the world including the National Basketball Association (NBA) since 2017, with its mission to make all NBA arenas 'sensory inclusive.' Kulture City is also currently partnered with several other professional sports teams and venues in the United States, including NFL (American Football) and NHL (Ice Hockey) franchises.

"This is a really significant partnership for Fulham and I am personally really happy that Fulham is the first UK based sports club to partner with Kulture City," said Tony Khan, Fulham FC's director of football.

"The organization has done some amazing work in the US collaborating with teams to help deliver sensory inclusivity at major sports events. We are ready to start working with Kulture City at Fulham and to continue our commitment of making Craven Cottage a venue that is accessible to everyone.

The company is responsible for helping sports stadia build sensory rooms, which offer fans a quiet and calm space equipped with sensory equipment and trained staff. While a success already in the US, these are now being more widely offered with the UK also with top-flight teams such as Manchester City, Arsenal, Brighton and Hove Albion, and more introducing them.

"Our communities are what shape our lives and to know that the Fulham Football Club is willing to go the extra mile to ensure that everyone, no matter their ability, is included in their community is amazing. We are thrilled that Fulham Football Club will be the first venue to be certified in the UK," said Uma Srivastava, chief operating officer at Kulture City.

https://www.stadia-magazine.com/news/venue-management/fulham-fc-launches-inclusivity-initiatives-and-sensory-packs-for-fans.html

WhiteJC

Fulham flop Fabri linked with sensational return to Super Lig giants Besiktas

Besiktas have set their signs on Fulham goalkeeper Fabricio Agosto (Fabri) as a replacement for the outbound Loris Karius.

Fabri previously played for Besiktas before making the move to Fulham and it seems the Black Eagles would like their former goalkeeper back.

According to the daily Turkish sports paper Fanatik, Besiktas are on the hunt for a new goalkeeper and are already in talks with Fabri.

Per the source, the Istanbul based club are confident of securing a deal with both club and country while Fabri is understood to be keen on a return to Besiktas too.

Current Besiktas goalkeeper Loris Karius will return to his parent club Liverpool in the summer.

The Germany international has failed to impress during his two-year loan period at the club.

Fabri is currently out on loan with RCD Mallorca where he has made just one La Liga appearance. The 32-year-old has little over a year remaining on his contract with Fulham.

Fulham are back in action on Saturday when they take on Bristol City. Besiktas meanwhile face relegation battlers Ankaragucu on Friday evening.

https://turkish-football.com/fulham-flop-fabri-linked-with-sensational-return-to-super-lig-giants-besiktas/

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham man gives his verdict on side's promotion ambitions

Former Fulham defender and EFL pundit Tony Gale has said that the Cottagers have ten 'cup finals' left as they chase promotion back to the Premier League.

The 60-year-old, who made over 300 appearances for the Cottagers during his career, gave his thoughts on his former side in his regular column on the club website.

There, Gale made the bold claim that the Cottagers are not out of the automatic promotion picture just yet. As it stands, Scott Parker's side are five points behind Leeds in second place.

"West Brom had a wobble at the weekend, losing at home to Wigan, so there's everything to play for. We've [Fulham] got so many games against the teams around us, so they'll all be six-pointers," he said.

In their next ten games, the Cottagers play five teams in the top-seven, starting with a clash against Bristol City this weekend. Those fixtures could prove to be decisive.

However, Gale has tipped Fulham to do well in those upcoming tests.

We're [Fulham] better in the bigger games, I would say, because teams come at us a bit more, rather than sitting back. I think [Fulham] can be confident going into the business end of the campaign," he added.

Following their shock 3-0 defeat to Barnsley in mid-February, the Cottagers have reacted well, winning two of their last three games. That has included consecutive clean sheets against Swansea and Preston respectively.

Gale knows that the Barnsley setback will give Fulham the hunger to achieve a big haul of points from their run-in.

"Everybody is going to be giving it their all in these last 10 games, but keeping your head is the biggest thing, especially when you're going into the high octane atmospheres."

The Verdict

Gale is right, in the sense that Fulham are still at an arm's length away from the top two, and a sequence of results could drastically change the shape of the league table in the coming weeks.

However, coming up against the quartet of Leeds, Brentford, West Bromwich Albion and Nottingham Forest in their run serves as a great challenge to Scott Parker's side.

It can also be looked at as an opportunity, as no defeats from those games could see Fulham in the top two come the end of the season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ex-fulham-man-gives-his-verdict-on-sides-promotion-ambitions/

WhiteJC

25-y/o Fulham man pictured in training after spending weeks on the sidelines

Midfielder Harrison Reed has returned to Fulham training this week, the club revealed in a social media post on Wednesday morning.

The summer recruit, who made the move to West London on a season-long loan from Southampton, has been out since the start of January after picking up a calf injury during the 2-1 defeat to Reading on New Year's Day, but appears to be closing in on a return to first-team action.

Posting on Twitter, alongside some photos from Wednesday's session, the club wrote: "Squadron assembled! 💼"

And amongst the snaps, which featured the likes of Neeskens Kebano, Aboubakar Kamara and Ivan Cavaleiro, was one of Reed with a big smile on his face.

So far this season he has made 17 Championship appearances for The Whites as they push for promotion straight back to the Premier League and was becoming a regular in Scott Parker's side prior to his knock.

Fulham are about to enter a crucial month of action with their next three games all coming against fellow promotion-hopefuls in the form of Bristol City, Brentford and Leeds United.

As things stand the club are the 'best of the rest', currently occupying third place with five points between themselves and Leeds in second.

The verdict

This is undoubtedly a boost for Fulham.

Prior to his knock, Reed was becoming a reliable part of Fulham's midfield, an area where Parker has failed to settle on his favoured players.

He faces competition from the likes of Josh Onomah, Kevin McDonald and Harry Arter but with neither impressing since his spell on the sidelines began, winning his place back may not prove too tricky.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/25-y-o-fulham-man-pictured-in-training-after-spending-weeks-on-the-sidelines/

WhiteJC

Callum O'Dowda reveals what he expects from Bristol City's clash against Fulham

Bristol City are back in Championship action this weekend as they take on 3rd placed Fulham at Ashton Gate, and the Robins will be looking to end their four-game sequence without a win

Last time out, Lee Johnson's side settled for a 1-1 draw against Millwall at The Den, which temporarily put an end to a slump which saw three defeats in succession prior to the game.

Things won't get any easier this weekend as they take on a Fulham side fighting for automatic promotion.

The match will also has a huge significance to the club, as it is part of Bristol City's 125th anniversary celebrations, which will see the players don a commemorative strip to celebrate the milestone.

Speaking in the pre-match press conference ahead of the big game, Robins midfielder Callum O'Dowda said that the squad must first think about themselves first rather than what Fulham can do.

"I think we need to build on what we have been doing," O'Dowda told the Bristol Post.

"Everyone knows what we're capable of and I think it's just bringing it out."

Despite the positivity shown by the 24-year-old, Bristol City have been very inconsistent at home in recent months, alternating regularly between wins and losses.

That contrasts to Fulham's away form. The Cottagers have not lost on their travels since December 14th – a 1-0 reverse against Brentford.

O'Dowda acknowledges that, and knows it will be a difficult challenge come Saturday.

"It will be a great occasion. We know it's going to be tough," he added.

The Verdict

Bristol City's recent poor results has meant that their true potential has not come to the fore, and O'Dowda clearly wants that to change as the side are still in the fight for a play-off spot.

The Robins will take comfort in the fact that they have lost just once to Fulham in the last seven meetings between the two sides.

December's game at Craven Cottage ended in a 2-1 win for Lee Johnson's side.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/callum-odowda-reveals-what-he-expects-from-bristol-citys-clash-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham's automatic promotion hopes – Gale has his say

In his weekly column on the clubs official website, former Fulham man Tony Gale believes that the Cottagers remain in the automatic promotion race.

Fulham currently sit five points behind 2nd placed Leeds United and still face a trip to Elland Road which is set to be the deciding fixture on who will take the second automatic promotion spot.

"West Brom had a wobble at the weekend, losing at home to Wigan, so there's everything to play for. We've [Fulham] got so many games against the teams around us, so they'll all be six-pointers," said Gale.

"We're better in the bigger games, I would say, because teams come at us a bit more, rather than sitting back. I think we can be confident going into the business end of the campaign. Everybody is going to be giving it their all in these last 10 games, but keeping your head is the biggest thing, especially when you're going into the high octane atmospheres."

Since losing 3-0 at home to Barnsley, Scott Parker's side have taken seven points from a possible nine, including wins in their last two home games against Swansea and Preston. Aleksandr Mitrovic scored a late winner against Swansea before Preston were dispatched 2-0 at the weekend a result Gale believes was vital.

"It was important to follow that win up with similar one against Preston North End, and that was a very good result as they're having an impressive season. We played some really good attacking football on Wednesday, but Saturday was all about the result. Results are more important than performances at this stage of the season, so don't expect to see great, entertaining football every week, as there will be occasions where we need to grind it out. It was a fairly even game of few clear-cut chances, so it was very pleasing that we were the ones to take ours."

Gale believes that his former club are smack-bang in the race with 10 "cup finals" left to play in the regular season. "There are only 10 games left now, and they're all cup finals. Fulham are not out of that top-two race, don't worry about that."

https://the72.co.uk/158278/fulhams-automatic-promotion-hopes-gale-has-his-say/

WhiteJC

'Giving us our Fulham back' – Looking back a year to Parker's appointment, and the early optimism he brought

This article is part of Football League World's 'Rewind' series, this content strand is where we rewind back to a particular moment at a club, assess the initial reaction from the fans, and then proceed to evaluate and reflect on whether fans were right to react in that way...

This time last year, Fulham were exactly where they wished they were right now, in the Premier League. Albeit in the relegation zone, ten points adrift and in the midst of a losing streak which would span nine games, Fulham fans were enjoying the visits of Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and so on, and it was the latter who they played almost a year ago to the day.

Fulham hosted Chelsea a year ago yesterday as it goes, losing 2-1 after goals from Gonzalo Higuain and Jorginho. It was Scott Parker's first game as caretaker manager following Claudio Ranieri's inevitable sacking after 17 games at the helm, and three wins.

Relegation looked all but certain, and Parker even said after the Chelsea defeat that he was 'planning for the long term'. But despite the club's apparent expectation of Championship football this time around, they were enjoying their Premier League stint, and the players walked off the pitch to a standing ovation in Parker's first.

The game's talking point was the return of Kepa Arrizabalaga after his and Maurizio Sarri's comical showing in the Carabao Cup final, and he showed that day at Craven Cottage why Chelsea paid over £70 million for him with some fine saves to keep Fulham to the one goal.

Soon after the Chelsea game though, Fulham were inevitably relegated, and with five games to go. Parker went on to win three games in a row after the 4-1 defeat at Watford which sealed their fate, which proved enough to hand him the permanent job going into the Championship.

The angst among Fulham fans is much rifer now than it was then. They were simply enjoying seeing their club spend six-figure sums in the transfer window, playing the best teams in the world and travelling to some of the best stadiums.

Now though, with Fulham looking like they'll have to settle for a play-off spot, their Premier League forays of last year have quickly become something to critique and compare to rather than reminisce.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/giving-us-our-fulham-back-looking-back-a-year-to-parkers-appointment-and-the-early-optimism-he-brought/

WhiteJC

'Not on', 'Something is up!' – Many Bristol City supporters react to 'slap in the face to fans'

Bristol City decided not to put manager Lee Johnson in front of the press ahead of the club's 125th-anniversary fixture against Fulham on Saturday, which has drawn an angry response from fans of the South West club.

The Robins face the Cottagers in the Championship's lunchtime kick-off on Saturday, in what will also be the club's 125th anniversary.

City will wear a specially designed strip for the occasion, while there are celebrations planned for the day.

You'd imagine what would please everyone involved the most will be three points, however, given Johnson's side have now gone four games without a win.

City remain seventh in the Championship, just two points outside the top six, but there have been some concerning performances and results in recent weeks.

The club operate a rota system for press conferences, with assistant managers Dean Holden and Jamie McAllister sharing the load, however, the fact that they haven't put Johnson in the press conference ahead of the anniversary fixture is odd.

Gregor MacGregor from the Bristol Post highlighted just that earlier today, calling it a "slap in the face for fans".

He added that it was unclear but it seemed as though it was the club's decision.

It appears many Robins supporters agree with him, as they took to Twitter to express their frustration.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/not-on-something-is-up-many-bristol-city-supporters-react-to-slap-in-the-face-to-fans/

WhiteJC

'I'm so happy' – These Fulham fans were utterly delighted to see this face back in training on Wednesday

Loads of Fulham fans have reacted after midfielder Harrison Reed was pictured back in training following a spell on the sidelines.

The summer recruit has been out since the start of January after picking up a calf injury during the 2-1 defeat to Reading on New Year's Day, but appears to be closing in on a return to first-team action.

And amongst the snaps, which featured the likes of Neeskens Kebano, Aboubakar Kamara and Ivan Cavaleiro, was one of Reed with a big smile on his face.

So far this season he has made 17 Championship appearances for The Whites as they push for promotion straight back to the Premier League and was becoming a regular in Scott Parker's side prior to his knock.

Fulham are about to enter a crucial month of action with their next three games all coming against fellow promotion-hopefuls in the form of Bristol City, Brentford and Leeds United.

And it is clear from the positive response to the post that many fans think Reed could prove integral in that run...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/im-so-happy-these-fulham-fans-were-utterly-delighted-to-see-this-face-back-in-training-on-wednesday/

brightster

Quote from: whitejc on March 04, 2020, 01:04:42 PM
Games for the weekend 07/03
This weekend we travel down to Ashton Gate to take on Bristol City for the early kick-off of 12:30.
Our win last week end puts us 9 points clear of 7th place, which funnily enough is Bristol City, so at this point in the season we look OK for at least a top six place. Forest, who drew their Monday evening game against Middlesbrough with a last-gasp equaliser, play on Friday evening against Millwall, a win by 2 clear goals would see them leap-frog us into 3rd, at least until after our game, a win or a draw would keep us ahead of them.

AK47 and Cyrus Christie were both impressive coming on as substitutes, Cyrus will almost certainly start and AK surely must be close to starting a game?

Bristol City are a bit of a bogey team, we've had only 2 wins, with 5 losses and 1 draw.

COYWs

Games of Interest...
Friday 6th

Nottm Forest v Millwall

Saturday 7th
Bristol City v Fulham
Brentford v Sheff Wed
Charlton v Middlesborough
Leeds v Huddersfield
Preston NE v QPR
Swansea v West Brom

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://bit.ly/2TjU088

Only seems a bogey team at home, the 2 wins and draw, were all at Ashton Gate in our last 3 visits.