watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 06/03/20...

Started by WhiteJC, March 05, 2020, 01:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bristol City coach gives Fulham opinion and insight into pressure on Lee Johnson

Robins celebrate their 125-year-anniversary game this weekend.

Bristol City assistant head coach Jamie McAllister is looking forward to a party this weekend.

The Robins celebrate 125 years of the club (since 1894 - yeah, the 2019/20 season rather it being the year of birth, and forget that 1897 beginning for a minute).

And McAllister is hoping for a good result on the pitch, celebrations in the stands - and to catch up with several former City teammates (Bradley Orr and Louis Carey are due to return at the weekend, with some other 60 former players. Possibly more even.

Of course, it would help if the Robins could win at the weekend - and following three defeats and a draw last time out against Millwall - that is not a given, with just 10 games of the Championship remaining - but the opportunity to finish in the play-off spots.

"We know Fulham are a possession-based team," explained Jamie McAllister at the pre-match press conference on Wednesday afternoon.

"They%u2019ve got some real quality in the front four and also midfielders who dominate possession with the ball well and it's up to us to be front foot and aggressive with them and try and stem their flow.

"It's up to us to take the ball and cause them problems. As I say it%u2019s a great championship game which I%u2019m really looking forward to,%u201D he added.

McAllister played at left-back for City from 2006-2012 and he knows what it takes to make the Championship play-offs, having won promotion that way with Yeovil Town and also made it with City under Gary Johnson back in 2008.

He's a close friend of Lee Johnson - so when the head coach mysteriously said last week that 'you could write three books' on what had happened to the club behind the scenes as regards team selections over this season, McAllister is ideally placed to respond.

"Well so many things happen during the week: injuries, training time, loss of form, whatever it may be, so many things come into it. I%u2019ve said it before, the gaffer, and us as a team, pick a team to win the next game and try to get the balance right, try to get all the qualities on the pitch, try to tick all of the championship boxes.

"You%u2019ve got to be able to handle the ball; you%u2019ve got to be physical, defend set-plays, attack set-plays. You%u2019ve got to be aggressive; you%u2019ve got to be strong, you%u2019ve got to have running power in the team.

"There%u2019s so much you have to do and get that balance within that XI to win that game and obviously look at the opposition and what they are strong at and look at their weaknesses are and how you can affect that.

"I think maybe that%u2019s what the gaffer is talking about. A lot of change in players from the summer, we%u2019ve had a few bad injuries. You look at Benik Afobe, He started the season unbelievably. He%u2019s been a big miss for us. But now hes coming back and its great. We%u2019ve got Nahki Wells in the building who%u2019s another goal scorer, so its just getting the players that have come in to adapt quickly to the style of how we play. Getting it up to speed, physically, mentally. Make sure they%u2019re settled ready to produce of a Saturday or a Tuesday or a Wednesday%u201D

And of the pressure mounting to get results after a bad run of form and several bad performances?

Nine losses in the last 16 league games and just a single shot on target in four of the last six games does not make sweet reading.

"There%u2019s pressure every day with what we do," said McAllister.

"We try to get the best out of the players each day, there%u2019s a pressure to win the next game, there%u2019s a pressure to get into the top six.

"We put that pressure on ourselves, we are always questioning ourselves, challenging each other to get better every day, to improve.

"We%u2019ve done that over the years with our league position so that%u2019s healthy, its always healthy to challenge each other, to get the best out of each other and keep pushing for excellence really," said McAllister on how things currently lie.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-coach-gives-fulham-3915842

WhiteJC

Commemorative brochure on sale at Fulham match

Revel in Bristol City nostalgia with the special, commemorative brochure which will be available to purchase from matchday sellers around the ground this Saturday.

The brochure looks back at the club's history from the early beginnings as Bristol South End in 1894 to the modern day with everything else in-between, including a look at the financial crisis of 1982, cup heartbreaks and Wembley wonders.

Enjoy exclusive interviews with past players and managers as well as old newspaper cutting features and lots more as the club dives into the archives.

The brochure is available to buy for £5 - you will also receive your regular matchday programme for free - from the usual matchday programme sellers, Please note supporters are unable to buy one or the other, they are sold together.

City v Fulham kicks off at 12.30pm and fans are advised to get to the ground early to enjoy all the pre-match activities.

To date, over 22,000 tickets have been sold for the fixture, which will be broadcast live on Sky Sports, with tickets remaining on general sale.

City Chairman Jon Lansdown said: "Earlier this season we were 125 years old and this will be a day for all City fans to celebrate the club that means so much to us.

"We feel it is right to offer discounted entry so that as many people can experience our home of Ashton Gate and we're expecting a full house in what will be an important match."

Details for the discounted entry are as follows:

£12.50 Mates Rates – Bristol City season card holders can bring two friends for £12.50 each. Each season card holder has been sent a single-use unique code for them to pass on to friends/family to reduce the price of two Bristol City v Fulham tickets to £12.50 each. Please note this unique code cannot be used by a Bristol City season card holder and must be used by the friend or family member attending the game. Supporters can move seats in order to sit with their friends but will need to arrange over the phone by calling our Supporter Services team on 0117 963 0600.

£12.50 Members Tickets – Bristol City members can claim tickets for just £12.50 in the Dolman Stand or Atyeo Stand (this offer is also available to 2019/20 Bristol Bears members, Bristol Bears season card holders, Bristol Flyers season card holders and Bristol City Women season card holders).

Atyeo Stand – A small area of the Atyeo Stand will be open to home supporters for this fixture.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/commemorative-brochure-on-sale-at-fulham-match/

WhiteJC

Tony Gale previews Fulham's trip to Bristol City

Former Fulham defender and EFL pundit Tony Gale has said that Bristol City's recent woes make it a good time for the Cottagers to come up against them, as the two sides meet this Saturday at Ashton Gate.

Scott Parker's team will be aiming to make it three wins in a row in the Championship, and they face a side who are currently in 7th place, two points outside the play-off spots.

However, the Robins' form of late has left a lot to be desired.

Bristol City have lost four of their last six games, which has dropped them outside the top-six yet. Lee Johnson's side partially recovered last time out, as they secured a 1-1 draw with Millwall to stop the slump.

Gale, who played over 300 times for Fulham during his career, believes the Cottagers have to take advantage of Bristol City's current predicament. The 60-year-old made the call in his column on the club website.

"They're [Bristol City] definitely not going to be top-two, so they just want to make sure they end up in the top-six. They're still in with a squeak, but this winless run has put Lee Johnson under a little bit of pressure. Maybe it's a good time to play them," the 60-year-old said.

"They've had a few reversals lately, but that's how it goes in the Championship."

Despite that, Gale also acknowledged the strengths of Fulham's upcoming opponents.

"Bristol City aren't bad, they're a high energy team," he added.

The Robins came out on top the last time the two sides met in the league, with a 2-1 win at Craven Cottage to take them level on points with the Cottagers.

On top of that, Fulham will not to be pleased to hear that they have won just once against the Robins in their last seven games against them.

The Verdict

Gale once again is correct in his thinking – Scott Parker will know that Bristol City are a poor run of form, and will have to make it known to his players to take the game to Lee Johnson's side this Saturday.

Fulham go into the clash full of positive momentum after their recent impressive displays against Swansea and Preston respectively.

It helps that the Cottagers are unbeaten away from home in the league in six matches, with their last defeat on their travels coming in mid-December at the hands of Brentford.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/tony-gale-previews-fulhams-trip-to-bristol-city/

WhiteJC

Feature: The transfer masterstroke which has transformed the outlook of Fulham's season

It is not a coincidence that Fulham's previously patchy defensive record has undergone vast improvement in the 10 Championship matches since centre-back Michael Hector first pulled on the white jersey.

Scott Parker's side have kept an impressive six clean sheets in the league since Hector's debut for the club in early January, with this representing marked progress on the Fulham defence's two shut-outs in the 10 league clashes prior to this.

Hector's commanding presence in the side has helped third-placed Fulham propel themselves three points clear of the chasing pack, while the Craven Cottage side are also still in the hunt for an automatic-promotion spot as they sit five points behind Leeds.

After 10 league matches at Fulham, it is clear to see why Fulham pressed ahead with securing Hector's services back in September despite the transfer window being closed, with the Cottagers' transfer chiefs having clearly anticipated the impact he could have.

At the time, there were question marks over the arrangement which allowed Hector to train at Fulham without being able to play for around four months, but his recent influence on the side has proven why the Cottagers were justified in signing him when they did.

Hector's arrival into the first-team fold could also not have been timed better given it essentially coincided with the knee injury sustained by Alfie Mawson, with Fulham's regular centre-back having missed the last eight matches with this problem.

This has seen Hector make a seamless step into the Cottagers' back line alongside Tim Ream who has been a consistent figure in the side this term, and the USA international has also noticeably benefitted from Hector's assured presence at the back.

Hector has displayed his truly well-rounded defensive attributes as his last-ditch blocks and challenges have accompanied his confident ball-playing ability from the back line, and this has quite simply made him a revelation in the Fulham side.

The statistics further magnify the 27-year-old's brilliance. Hector has won 62.3% of defensive duels in addition to 58.3% of all aerial duels since his inclusion while also recording a strong average of 5.3 interceptions per game, according to Wyscout.

Hector has also registered an 80.2% pass completion rate during his 10 Championship matches for the Cottagers, while he attempts an average of 12.46 long balls per match as he often looks to kick-start attacks after winning the ball back for his side.

It should not come as a surprise that Hector has been so impressive this year given the defender has excelled at both Sheffield Wednesday and Hull in recent campaigns, but the centre-back has still managed to exceed expectations so far at Fulham.

This all begs the interesting question of whether Parker's side would find themselves in the top-two spots at present if Hector had been available throughout the campaign, with Fulham's defence having been a key issue in the first half of the season.

The Cottagers certainly flexed their attacking powers on several occasions before the turn of the year, but they were sometimes let down by defensive lapses which means they have failed to really compete with the likes of Leeds and West Brom until now.

However, it cannot to dwell over too much. The main thing is that Hector is crucially now very much a Fulham player, and there is even an argument that the extended delay before his debut would have made him even hungrier to succeed for his new club.

The west Londoners must now look ahead to the last 10 matches of their campaign as they target one of the top-two spots, and recent clean-sheet displays against Swansea and Preston suggests their promotion bid is now back on track after a slight blip.

The presence of Aleksandar Mitrovic in Fulham's attack means they will certainly score plenty more goals this campaign, but Hector's continued brilliance at the back means the Cottagers should not be expected to concede too many more goals either.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/feature-the-transfer-masterstroke-which-has-transformed-the-outlook-of-fulhams-season/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Timmy Abraham was given more minutes at Bristol Rovers after coming on 20 minutes into the second half, but his side suffered a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Shrewsbury Town.

Like Timmy, Jerome Opoku was also bought on in the second half for fellow League One side Accrington Stanley, who took a point home after a goalless draw away to Bolton Wanderers. They are now without a win in three games.

Jayden Harris has returned from his one-month loan spell at Woking, who beat Maidenhead 2-0. Jaydn Mundle-Smith featured for the final 10 minutes for Maidenhead who now sit in 20th having lost three in a row.

Jean-Michaël Seri featured in Galatasaray's comfortable 3-0 win over Gençlerbirligi on Sunday. The Turkish side enjoyed 62 per cent possession with Seri playing as the link between defence and attack. The Ivorian played the full 90 minutes and his side are flying with 11 league wins in a row under their belt.

Over in Spain, André-Frank Zambo Anguissa was bought on 57 minutes in for Villarreal but couldn't help his side level the score. They lost 1-0 to Athletic Bilbao and are currently eighth in the table.

Fabricio Agosto did not feature in RCD Mallorca's 1-0 home defeat to Getafe.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/03/loan-round-up

WhiteJC

Kamara: Play For The Team

Aboubakar Kamara just wants to continue contributing to the Fulham cause, be it from the start or coming off the bench.

The 24-year-old has seen only 61 minutes of action as a substitute in our previous three outings, but it's a spell which has yielded two assists and a goal.

His crosses for Aleksandar Mitrović's goals against Derby County – and Swansea City especially – were sublime, showing that he's adding a devastating end product to the raw pace and power that we all knew he possessed.

"It's been a long time since I've been able to do it, but I can cross!" Kamara told fulhamfc.com. "It was not the right moment in the past, but I just play my game and do my best.

"I don't know if I'm worthy of a start yet. When I come in, I play for the team. If I do well, that's good for everyone. If I start, I'll be ready to do my job and help everyone out.

"Whether I'm starting or coming off the bench, my role stays the same. I just come on and do my work, attacking the same.

"I feel like I've matured a lot in the last few years. Two years ago, I was chasing things around like a crazy man following the ball around, but now I've learnt a lot and I'm smarter than I was back then."

Victory in Saturday's early kick-off at Bristol City would see Fulham close the gap on the top-two to three points, and Kamara recognises the importance of every single one of our remaining 10 fixtures.

"We have 10 games left and we want to win every game," he said. "We have to win in Bristol, just like any game.

"We play a lot of the top sides, and if we win every game we will go up. We have to gain momentum.

"We have been good at Ashton Gate in recent years, but that counts for nothing. We don't talk too much about past results, we are just going there on Saturday to win the game."

The business end of the season pits Fulham against the four sides immediately surrounding us in the table, and Kamara knows the benefit of taking points off our promotion rivals.

"We know we need to approach each game with confidence," he said. "Every game is a cup final, because we play West Brom, Leeds, Brentford and Nottingham Forest. We need to win to stop them.

"We play them all so it's in our hands but they will think the same thing, so there's something in it for everyone which makes it very interesting."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/05/aboubakar-kamara-play-for-the-team

WhiteJC

Harrison Reed shares key update regarding Fulham injury comeback

Fulham midfielder Harrison Reed has confirmed he is ready to take part in his side's final 10 matches of the Championship season after overcoming a series of injury problems.

Reed was a regular feature in the Fulham side during the early months of the Championship season following his loan move from Southampton, but an ongoing calf problem has meant he has only played four of the Cottagers' last 19 league matches.

The 25-year-old has not played for Scott Parker's side since their 2-1 defeat to Reading on New Years' Day, with Reed having been forced off after 19 minutes when he picked up another injury which has since kept him out of 10 Championship clashes.

However, Reed has now taken to Instagram to declare he is back on the training ground and ready to take part in the remainder of the season, with Fulham currently sitting five points adrift of second-placed Leeds as they target automatic promotion.

Reed has made a total of 17 appearances for the Craven Cottage outfit since his summer switch, with the midfielder's loan to Fulham representing his third temporary move since breaking through the academy ranks at Southampton.

The Verdict

Reed's imminent return will come as a massive boost for Fulham given it had previously not been clear when he would be making his comeback, and the midfielder could now play a key role for the Cottagers between now and the end of the season.

The Southampton loanee received plenty of praise for some of his displays in the defensive-midfield role earlier this campaign, and his injury comeback means he now adds another high-quality option to Parker's midfield ranks for the final 1o games.

It would be a surprise to see Parker immediately re-include Reed in the starting line-up given the extent of his recent fitness troubles, but the midfielder could have an important role to play from the bench before eventually breaking back into the side.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/harrison-reed-shares-key-update-regarding-fulham-injury-comeback/

WhiteJC

EFL Day of Action

EFL Clubs will come together on Tuesday 10 March to highlight the positive impact football has in changing people's lives and the work taking place to tackle some of society's biggest issues.

Across the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two, events will be held by clubs on EFL Day of Action to showcase the very best programmes and activity they deliver in a number of important areas, including diversity and inclusion, education, and health and wellbeing.

The impact of the work carried out by EFL Clubs and Club Community Organisations (CCOs) is unparalleled, with more than half a million hours of group activity delivered and over 40 million hours of participation each season.

During the 2018/19 season, almost 900,000 people took part in a wide range of activities across key areas, with clubs and CCOs receiving over £60million of direct project funding.

The EFL Day of Action aims to unite Clubs and CCOs on one day to celebrate and highlight the impact they have in their communities, bringing together the most unique projects and programmes being run across England and Wales.

Managers and players from the EFL's clubs will be attending events up and down the country on Tuesday to pay special visits to see participants in action and to provide their support to various projects.

For example:

In the Sky Bet Championship, as part of their Foundation Week to celebrate their 10th anniversary, Cardiff City will host participants of their Bluebirds Disability programme at their first team training session. Last year, players donated a day of their wages to the Foundation and the Bluebirds programme.
    QPR's Angel Rangel will join a food delivery to local hostels and homeless shelters with club partner City Harvest, who use surplus food from various London locations and provide for those in need.
    To celebrate the success of the EFL Trust's Fit Fans programme, Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham United and Bradford City will all come together at the Keepmoat Stadium to host a football festival with over 40 participants.
    In Sky Bet League One, Bristol Rovers will showcase their partnership with St Peters Hospice Charity, which offers the Club the ability to engage with patients suffering with various forms of cancer.
    In Sky Bet League Two, Port Vale are hosting a full day of activities, showcasing their impact on people in their community including breakfast clubs, careers events, mental health groups and walking football.

Five EFL fixtures will also take place on the evening of the EFL Day of Action, with clubs further supporting the day with warm-up t-shirts and in-stadium assets.

These are just a few examples of some of the fantastic work due to take place during the EFL's Day of Action by EFL Club Community Organisations - the largest network of sporting charities in the UK.

EFL Chairman, Rick Parry, said: "Our clubs have always had a unique position in the heart of their respective towns and cities and it is important that we celebrate the work they carry out, which improves lives and tackles some of society's biggest issues on a daily basis.

"The recent study commissioned by the EFL shows that clubs' work in their communities is happening on a huge scale and starts to place a real value on this work, providing further insight into the impact of programmes provided.

"The hours committed by staff and volunteers at Clubs and CCOs, as well as the support from players and managers, demonstrates a remarkable commitment to improving lives up and down the country."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/05/efl-day-of-action

WhiteJC

Bobby Zamora tips Fulham for Premier League promotion under Scott Parker ahead of crucial fixtures

The former Fulham and England forward is backing his old club to return to the Premier League as promotion race hots up

Former Fulham striker Bobby Zamora has tipped his old club for promotion this campaign, and says he is keeping his fingers crossed for friend and ex-England team-mate Scott Parker's side.

"I still see Scotty every now and again and send him the odd text," Bobby Zamora told FourFourTwo. "The club hit a bit of a bumpy patch and the pressure was on but he's done well to turn things around."

Fulham are currently third in the Championship, five points behind Leeds United, having recorded back to back wins over Preston and Swansea. Parker's side had failed to win any of their previous three fixtures, falling behind in the race for automatic qualification.

With three straight fixtures against promotion rivals coming up - including a crucial showdown with Leeds on March 18 - their return to winning ways could not have come at a better time.

Zamora, who scored 37 goals in 134 appearances for the West London club, also heaped praise on current Cottagers goalscorer Aleksandar Mitrovic.

"The club are obviously relying on Mitro up top to score the goals and he's doing that. He's so important to the way they've been playing. He's doing really well and I'm pleased for them."

Less impressive, though, has been Fulham's record at the back, with Parker's side often criticised for their defensive fragility, having conceded more than goal a game on average this campaign.

"I'd like to see them tighten up at the back a bit more," Zamora told FFT. "Maybe bring in or two more players in defence to help them out. They're scoring goals and getting results but they could be a little better in that regard."

Bobby Zamora was speaking to FourFourTwo as a judge on the London Football Awards, due to take place on March 5 2020 at Camden's Roundhouse. The event raises crucial funds for national charity Willow. For tickets and more info, head to londonfootballawards.org

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/bobby-zamora-tips-fulham-promotion-under-scott-parker-championship-premier-league

WhiteJC

Leeds have major fixture advantage over Championship rival Fulham

Leeds United have 10 games remaining in the Championship season to try get over the line for automatic promotion and are currently on a four-game winning streak to help build momentum at Elland Road.

Marcelo Bielsa's team sit second in the league table and the closest team chasing them down is third-placed Fulham.

The Yorkshire giants currently have a five-point cushion over Fulham and it's all about maintaining that for the rest of the campaign for them, as they desperately try to get back in the Premier League.

Leeds do have one key advantage over them on paper at least and it could end up having a big say in the promotion outcome.

The Whites only play one team from the top seven during their final games, which is when they host Fulham at Elland Road on 18 March in a huge showdown.

They have been fairly dominant against teams lower down the division and usually dominate the ball whoever they play.

But on the flip side Fulham still have to face five of the top seven to take up half of their remaining schedule and it looks a tough ask on paper.

Scott Parker's side know how crucial it will be of getting a result at Elland Road and they did beat Leeds 2-1 at Craven Cottage when the pair clashed back in December in the previous league meeting.

The unpredictability of the Championship means anything could happen, but any team would surely much rather have the Leeds run-in compared to Fulham.

https://tbrfootball.com/leeds-have-major-fixture-advantage-over-championship-rival-fulham/

WhiteJC

Aboubakar Kamara discusses lack of starts at Fulham in recent weeks

"Every game left is a cup final" is the verdict of Fulham forward Aboubakar Kamara ahead of their clash against Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Saturday lunchtime.

Scott Parker's men will arrive in BS3 just five points behind second-placed Leeds United and know that a third straight victory will see the Whites close that gap to just two points ahead of their crucial meeting at Elland Road a week on Wednesday.

Kamara has found himself on the bench for Fulham's previous three matches, but made key contributions against Derby County and Swansea City before scoring the crucial second goal in the victory over Preston North End on Saturday to secure another vital three points.

The forward will be hoping that his recent form will earn him a starting place against the Robins', the first of ten cup finals, according to Kamara.

In an interview with Fulham's official website, Kamara  said: "We have 10 games left and we want to win every game. We have to win in Bristol, just like any game. We play a lot of the top sides, and if we win every game we will go up. We have to gain momentum.

"We have been good at Ashton Gate in recent years, but that counts for nothing. We don't talk too much about past results, we are just going there on Saturday to win the game."

Kamara continued: "I don't know if I'm worthy of a start yet. When I come in, I play for the team. If I do well, that's good for everyone. If I start, I'll be ready to do my job and help everyone out.

"Whether I'm starting or coming off the bench, my role stays the same. I just come on and do my work, attacking the same."

The Verdict

Kamara is spot on about the magnitude of Fulham's upcoming games. And victory against Bristol City on Saturday would see the Whites head into their potential season-defining clashes against Brentford and Leeds in perfect form.

In terms of his own form, the forward can't be doing anymore than he currently is. Despite not starting for almost a month, Kamara is contributing to goals on a frequent basis and his late strike against Preston last weekend means that he has had a hand in three of their previous four league goals. Sooner rather than later Parker will have to reward the Frenchman's impressive run.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aboubakar-kamara-discusses-lack-of-starts-at-fulham-in-recent-weeks/

WhiteJC

EFL expert on the stark reality of Fulham's promotion charge

EFL pundit David Prutton believes Fulham cannot afford to let the five-point gap between themselves and second-placed Leeds grow any bigger during the final 10 games of the Championship season.

Scott Parker's side have managed to get their automatic-promotion bid back on track over the past week following wins over Swansea and Preston, but Leeds' five-game winning run means they have not been able to close the gap on the top two.

Fulham experienced a blip in form back in mid-February when they collected just two points from clashes with Millwall, Barnsley and Derby, but the Craven Cottage side are now back in promotion contention following two hard-fought successes last week.

Speaking to the Sky Sports EFL Podcast, Prutton reckons the Cottagers have started developing more steel and character in recent times, while he believes Fulham must ensure the five-point gap does not grow further if they want to remain in the promotion hunt.

"There's a bit of steel and character that's developed in this Fulham team," Prutton said.

"You look at the win midweek when they missed a penalty but then Mitrovic still finds the time and the space to score. They've got that very much in their pockets.

"It's as tough for them as it is for the two in the automatic promotion places.

"Leeds will want to keep them at arm's length, and from Fulham's point of view it's making sure that the gap doesn't get any bigger."

Fulham are now preparing for clashes with play-off candidates Bristol City and Brentford over the next two weeks before a mammoth clash with Leeds at Elland Road which could go some way to dictating their aspirations for the rest of the term.

The Verdict

Fulham would have been feeling concerned over their automatic-promotion push following their 1-1 draw with Derby, but the victories over Swansea and Preston appear to have injected fresh life into the Cottagers' top-two bid this campaign.

It is now critical that Parker's men use this confidence to seal back-to-back wins over Bristol City and Brentford, as this could then put them in an excellent place ahead of the all-important trip to Elland Road later on in the month.

However, Leeds' impressive run of form means they could be difficult to catch during the last 10 matches, but West Brom's recent defeat to Wigan goes to show exactly how the top two are still liable to slipping up despite their dominant positions at present.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/efl-expert-on-the-stark-reality-of-fulhams-promotion-charge/

WhiteJC

'Under pressure' - Sky Sports pundit delivers his verdict on Bristol City's game against Fulham

The Fulham and West Ham legend is hopeful that his former side can take advantage of Bristol City's recent form

Sky Sports pundit and Fulham and West Ham legend Tony Gale has said it could be a good time to play Bristol City with Lee Johnson under pressure.

The teams come up against each other on Saturday at Ashton Gate in what will be a celebration of Bristol City's 125th anniversary.

Bristol City beat Fulham 2-1 last time out in November at Craven Cottage and will look to put on a similar performance at home to get over their current poor form.

City haven't won in their last four games after losses against Leeds United, West Brom and Huddersfield and a draw against Millwall and come up against a Fulham side in good form, having lost just once in their last 10 games.

With both teams fighting for promotion, the three points are vital as City and Fulham look to push their way up the table and end of in a play off spot come the end of the season.

And the mind games have already begun ahead of the game, with Sky Sports presenter Tony Gale saying with the current form, it could be a good time for Scott Parker's side to come to Ashton Gate.

Gale said: "First up is Bristol City away on Saturday. They've had a few reversals lately, but that's how it goes in the Championship. They're definitely not going to be top-two, so they just want to make sure they end up in the top-six.

"They're still in with a squeak, but this winless run has put Lee Johnson under a little bit of pressure. Maybe it's a good time to play them?

"Hopefully having had a successful promotion charge recently will work in our favour, because sometimes you need to play with your head as well as your heart.

"Everybody is going to be giving it their all in these last 10 games, but keeping your head is the biggest thing, especially when you're going into the high octane atmospheres. Some players can buckle under the pressure, but I reckon ours have enough experience to ride the wave."

Bristol City are well prepped for the game, according to assistant coach Jamie McAllister, who said in his pre-Fulham press conference: "We know Fulham are a possession-based team.

"They've got some real quality in the front four and also midfielders and dominate possession with the ball well and it's up to us to be on the front foot and aggressive with them and try and stem their flow and it's up to us to take the ball and cause them problems. As I say it's a great Championship game which I'm really looking forward to."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/under-pressure-sky-sports-pundit-3917762

WhiteJC

'Time to be consistent' – McAllister

Jamie McAllister says consistency will be key over the next ten matches, starting with the visit of Fulham on Saturday.

It will see two teams fighting for potential promotion come May, with the Cottagers breathing down the necks of West Brom and Leeds United, while City continue to know on the play-offs door.

Two points is all that separates City and Preston in the league standings, while a win on Saturday could see the Robins go level on points with fifth-place Brentford, should other results go their way.

Assistant Head Coach Jamie McAllister told the club website: "It's two top teams in the Championship going at it for the big prize at the end. We all play each other in the next ten games so there will be a lot of changes in that time but it's up to us to be consistent, more so now than ever, to make that final push and be where we want to be.

"Training has been excellent: the boys have been bubbly, the intensity is there, desire, the lads know what's at stake and they really are stepping up.

"These ten games will be a test but it's something we're really looking forward to. We're strong and together as a team and we're looking forward to these ten games."

He added: "I think being in the mix with ten games to go we'd have took that at the start of the season. We're two points off sixth placed, in a great position and it's in our hands. It's up to us now to fully commit and do whatever it takes to get to where we want to be and we will be striving to do that every day."

Saturday's match with Fulham has also been marked as a day of celebration, with the club choosing this fixture to look back on City's 125 years.

A commemorative brochure is on sale with the regular matchday programme, while former players will parade the pitch ahead of kick off. The squad will wear a one-off kit, while there will be a host of activity around the ground to add to the celebrations.

McAllister continued: "Yes, Saturday is a celebration of 125 years of this great club, hopefully a sell-out crowd, 40-plus ex-players coming to watch the game to celebrate this great club. It should be a great occasion for us and it's something we're really looking forward to. It's two good teams challenging for the top six in the Championship, what a great occasion and we're really looking forward to it.

"Celebrating 125 years of a club, from where the club has been to where it is now is incredible. Thanks to the Lansdown family, their vision and desire to take us to the next level.

"I like the shirt, I have bought one for my son so he'll be wearing it on Saturday, hopefully celebrating."

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/time-to-be-consistent-mcallister/

WhiteJC

Jon Lansdown explains thinking behind Bristol City's anniversary shirt ahead of Fulham game

Scott Murray also appeared on the latest Bristol City podcast

The Bristol City 125th anniversary kit

It's going to be a big day on Saturday for Bristol City, with the club set to celebrate their 125th anniversary with a day of celebrations.

Of course, the main hope is there will be celebrations after the game with three points, but Bristol City will release a commemorative programme, welcome around 45 former players and their families and, perhaps most controversially, will play in the new anniversary kit.

The kit, which is a collage of nine former Bristol City kits, received mixed reviews online but chairman Jon Lansdown has said that the club recevied a huge number of pre-orders in the first day of its release.

Lansdown appeared on the latest episode of Robins Nest, the club podcast, with Scott Murray to discuss the kit and the day, and explained the thinking behind the kit.

He said: "This year is our 125th anniversary and we are using the Fulham game as our marker for it essentially. We weren't really ready to mark it at the beginning of the season because we had the new crest coming out and a new kit.

"The timing would have ideally been earlier in the season for us, but we just wanted to make sure we had everything ready to give it its proper due.

"From concept to now, we wanted to do something a bit different, manufacturing our own kit allows us to do that and to try and get the various samples.

"It's a labour of love really. We've got nine elements of one kit, and if you get one element wrong its going to ruin the whole thing. It was a few backwards and forwards to get each element of it right.

"I've followed the club for a long time and its something I care about."

Bristol City have changed their kit supplier for next year after producing their own kits for several seasons prior, and despite the new Hummell deal Lansdown said it was great to have the freedom to go off-piste with the anniversary kit.

He said: "Being able to do our own kits and going out of our previous manufacturer where you had such a small sample which you could choose.

"You'd get three template kits that everyone and his dogs could have down the park. It's great to be able to have a purple kit because for the last five, ten years because you weren't allowed to, you couldn't do it.

"All of those things that sound ridiculously simple now just weren't achievable so its been a really enjoyable process to be able to do something that hopefully the fans can identify with and really feel it's part of their club rather than something they've been given."

It may be exciting for Lansdown, but City legend and kitman Scott Murray joked that for him, the process of getting a new kit ready was making things difficult. He said: "It's a pain for me. Because obviously the printing has got to be done but as I said it's a nice shirt.

"Its classy and something different and people will definitely enjoy it but I'll have a lot of printing to do Friday night so I'm not looking forward to that.

"Obviously, I can't put the names on. If I start putting names on now and players get injured. The gaffer puts the squad on the group chat Friday."

Jon Lansdown has encouraged fans to get to Ashton Gate earlier than usual on Saturday to enjoy the celebrations.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jon-lansdown-explains-thinking-behind-3918117

WhiteJC

Preview: Bristol City vs. Fulham - prediction, team news, lineups

Championship promotion rivals Bristol City and Fulham face off at Ashton Gate in Saturday's early kickoff.

City are winless in four league matches, while the visitors enter the game on the back of successive wins to open up a nine-point gap on their opponents.

Match preview
One point collected from the last 12 on offer has seen City slide out of the playoffs and the same old questions asked of boss Lee Johnson.

The Robins have been unable to see through promotion challenges in recent times, though they did at least end a three-game losing run in last week's 1-1 draw at Millwall.

Pedro Pereira fired Johnson's men in front at The Den, only for Matt Smith to convert as City missed out on the chance to move back into the top six.

As it is, with just 10 games of the season to go, they find themselves two points behind Preston North End in sixth.

Of those 10 remaining matches, three games are against sides above them, including Saturday's visit of high-flying Fulham.

The Cottagers are providing the biggest threat to West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United for automatic promotion, but the gap on the two sides above them remains at six and five points respectively.

Scott Parker's men have refound their form again over the past couple of weeks with wins over Swansea City - thanks to a 94th-minute goal - and Preston at Craven Cottage.

They have been held 1-1 in back-to-back away games, though, and have won on their travels just twice in nine attempts in all competitions.

However, Fulham are unbeaten in their last four away league games against Bristol City since a 5-1 defeat in April 1990, winning three of those matches.

Another win at Ashton Gate this weekend will see them all but seal a place in the end-of-season playoffs, though Parker will no doubt still have his sights set on breaking into the top two.

Bristol City's Championship form: LWLLLD

Fulham's Championship form: WDLDWW

Team News
First-choice stopper Daniel Bentley remains absent with a groin injury, so Niki Maenpaa will continue to operate in goal for the home side.

Marley Watkins and Benik Afobe are City's other two confirmed injury absentees, but Johnson does at least have Niclas Eliasson and Nahki Wells pushing for inclusion.

Famara Diedhiou has scored three times in his last seven outings, meanwhile, and is expected to retain his place upfront.

Fulham will be without hamstring injury victim Joe Bryan for this match, meaning a likely start at right-back for Cyrus Christie.

Aboubakar Kamara boasts the best minute-per-goal ratio of any player in the division to have played at least 500 minutes, and his form could see him rewarded with a start here.

If that is the case, Anthony Knockaert is the favourite to drop down to the bench after failing to play a part in a goal in Fulham's last four matches.

Bristol City possible starting lineup:
Maenpaa; Pereira, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva; Paterson, Smith, Nagy, Eliasson; Diedhiou, Wells

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Ream, Odoi; Arter, Cairney; Kamara, Reid, Cavaleiro; Mitrovic

We say: Bristol City 1-2 Fulham

Since the start of December, only Hull City (six) have lost more home Championship games than Bristol City (five). The Robins picked up a point in their most recent outing away at Millwall, but Fulham have regained some momentum and we are backing them to win this one.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bristol-city/championship-promotion-race/preview/preview-bristol-city-vs-fulham-prediction-team-news-lineups_391942.html

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham and Bristol Rovers striker warns Merstham 'must cut out the mistakes'

Former Premier League striker Barry Hayles says the Moatsiders do have the quality to stay up but must eradicate errors

Barry Hayles (Image: Steve Ball)

Former Premier League star Barry Hayles reckons Merstham have got the quality to escape relegation from the Isthmian League Premier Division but warns, "the players must cut out their mistakes".

The club's first team coach has been working tirelessly with manager Frank Wilson to improve results and wins against Horsham and Margate – allied to three away draws at Leatherhead, Bowers & Pitsea and Hornchurch – had seen an upturn in fortunes.

But 20th-placed Moatsiders head into Saturday's home clash with play-off chasing Bognor Regis Town (March 7) on the back of a damaging 4-1 home reverse to Enfield Town and Sunday's 3-1 loss at Cray Wanderers.

With a crunch home game against fellow strugglers Corinthian-Casuals to follow next Tuesday (March 10), the pressure is on.

"We did have a run of four clean sheets [in January] but mistakes have crept back in," admitted Hayles, still revered by fans at Fulham. "We can't afford them as we are only ever going to win a game by the odd goal. It's frustrating.

"When we have conceded goals we normally have a player who puts his hand up in the changing room and says, 'that's my mistake' but we can't keep making them."

Hayles revealed that Merstham have lost two key men, with defender Ellis Brown switching to Hornchurch after a seven-day approach and midfielder Chace Jacquart moving to Canada for a trial.

"They have been fundamental to the way we shape up and have played in almost all of our games so it's a blow," conceded Hayles.

"Going into Sunday's game at Cray we were short on numbers and our captain James Richmond was still out too with a groin problem.

"He has been playing through it in recent weeks and he's touch and go for this weekend. So they are major players for us and as a small club with a small budget it's difficult.

"We will need to bring in a couple and that is hard as a coach as we don't really get the time to bed them in. They need to come in and hit the ground running."

There is a real emphasis on taking chances when they come along and Hayles added: "Calvin [Ekpitita] and Shola [Ayoola] are the ones who have been scoring our goals recently and if one goes off the boil we struggle.

"Calvin normally is the one who makes things happen but he was off it on Sunday.

"But it was mistakes that cost us. We were a goal down in six minutes.

"We were on the attack and pushing when Omar Folkes gave a square pass, they intercepted it, and two passes later it was in our net.

"After six minutes that was devastating. When you are a side pushing while trying to create something, one wrong pass and you can be punished.

"The second goal was a mis-kicked cross when our keeper [Mattie Pierson] went out to read the cross and the ball went in at his near post.

"We're 2-0 down and made a few chances, didn't take them, then gave away a silly penalty."

It's Bognor next, where Hayles, 47, scored in the away match on November 16, which Wilson's side lost 2-1 when conceding in the last minute.

"We gave them a good game and gave a good account of ourselves down there," added Hayles. "We now have two home games and they are both massive, in fact every one is massive, especially the game against Corinthian-Casuals as we are both down there.

"When we had a run of clean sheets the whole back five, to a man, never made mistakes. We have to get back to being like that."

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-fulham-bristol-rovers-striker-17866442

WhiteJC

Parker: Wounded Animal

Scott Parker is wary of the threat posed by an out-of-sorts Bristol City on Saturday.

The Robins have taken just one point from a possible 12 going into the weekend, but Parker has seen enough from them previously to know his side are in for a game at Ashton Gate.

"I think you're always wary in that sense, but at the same time I think you realise what you're going into, and obviously they are on a bit of a bad run of form," Parker told FFCtv.

"But in saying that, they're also a team that can put runs together, like they did at the beginning and in the middle of the season.

"We understand we're going up against a wounded animal here and we need to keep pushing as hard as we can, silence the crowd a little bit, and keep going from where we've been leaving off over the last few weeks.

"They did a number on us in the home game and obviously beat us 2-1. I thought we played very well on the day and I remember having a penalty not given late on.

"They're a good side. They've navigated this division, been in and around it for a long time. They understand what's needed, and although they're going through a little bit of a tough patch at the moment, we realise the challenge ahead that faces us going to their place.

"It will be a tough game, but our away form over a course of games has been very good, and we'll go there hoping to get as many points as we can."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/05/scott-parker-wounded-animal

WhiteJC

Bobby Zamora expresses thoughts on Aleksandar Mitrović and admits where Fulham must improve

Bobby Zamora reckons his Fulham need to improve defensively, but remains confident that his former side

club can achieve automatic promotion back to the Premier League.

Fulham found themselves level on points with second-placed Leeds United less than a month ago, but three matches without a victory during the middle of February – which included their disasterous 3-0 home defeat to Barnsley – saw the Whites slip five points behind the Elland Road outfit.

But after consecutive victories over Preston North End and Swansea City, Fulham have moved back up 3rd in the standings, although the gap between themselves and Leeds, who've won their previous four league matches, remains at five points.

In an interview with FourFourTwo, Zamora, who was part of the Whites side that memorably reached the Europa League final back in 2010, said: "I still see Scotty every now and again and send him the odd text. The club hit a bit of a bumpy patch and the pressure was on but he's done well to turn things around."

Aboubakar Kamara's stoppage-time strike against Preston on Saturday ended a run of almost a month since another Fulham player besides Aleksander Mitrovic scored – and Zamora knows the importance of the Championship's top goalscorer.

Zamora continued: "The club are obviously relying on Mitro [Aleksander Mitrovic] up top to score the goals and he's doing that. He's so important to the way they've been playing. He's doing really well and I'm pleased for them."

"I'd like to see them tighten up at the back a bit more. Maybe bring in or two more players in defence to help them out. They're scoring goals and getting results but they could be a little better in that regard."

The Verdict

Zamora is spot on about Mitrovic's importance, but his views on Fulham's defensive problems are someway off the mark.

His former have conceded just 37 times in the Championship this season – bettered by only Leeds – and have already kept 13 clean sheets this term, which is just two fewer than they managed during their last promotion campaign two years ago.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bobby-zamora-expresses-thoughts-on-aleksandar-mitrovic-and-admits-where-fulham-must-improve/

WhiteJC

QPR FC Women Tickets

Join us for Derby Day at Motspur Park as Fulham FC Women take on QPR FC Women on Sunday 22nd March!

The London and South East Women's Regional Football League fixture kicks off at 2.30pm on Mother's Day and will be our first game back on the arena pitch following a thrilling 3-2 victory over Aylesford Ladies FC last weekend.

The matchday will be host to plenty of exciting activities to keep the whole family entertained including a face painter, balloon modeller and Billy the Badger!

An impressive crowd made all the difference last time out so head down to Fulham FC's Training Ground to show your support for our Women's team.

Tickets for this fixture are priced at £5 for adults with juniors admitted free of charge on matchday, with fans able to secure their tickets online, by calling 0203 871 0810 or in person from the Fulham FC Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/05/qpr-fc-women-tickets