https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (17/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 17, 2010, 08:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.footymad.net/storytext.asp?article=3506273

MATT MAKING MOST OF MASSIVE LEAP

Full-back Briggs, 19, impressed in last week's 1-0 defeat at Chelsea and despite finding himself back on the bench for Saturday's goalless draw at Newcastle, he was encouraged.

"It's a massive leap for me," he told his club's official website. "I've got my foot in the door and I've got to keep it there now. I've just got to prove myself.

"From playing against Millwall reserves to playing against the champions was a big step and the pace of the game was a lot quicker.

"Playing against the likes of (Didier) Drogba and (Salomon) Kalou was a big challenge. The players all told me that I did well so I've got to take that on board and move on from there."

WhiteJC

http://www.footymad.net/storytext.asp?article=3506274

KELLY WANTS CITY WIN

The Cottagers host mega-rich City in the Barclays Premier League in a game that reunites manager Mark Hughes with the club who unceremoniously sacked him just under a year ago.

Defender Kelly, who helped Fulham record a goalless draw at Newcastle on Saturday, told his club's official website: "Manchester City are a good side, and it will be a test for us because they have some fantastic players. But, at Craven Cottage, we are capable of beating teams of any calibre.

"We'll take the positives from the game at Newcastle, get our heads down and work hard in training.

"As always, we will be prepared, and we will go out Sunday and show what we can do. Hopefully, it will be a case of all guns blazing for us."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221631

Fulham - Ireland?
An interesting piece of gossip in one of the red-top tabloids infers that a certain Stephen Ireland is wanted by Stoke City.

Indeed, it looks as if Tony Pulis is intent on trying to loan Ireland come January with the midfielder out of favour at Aston Villa, following his move from Manchester City, with his current manager, Gerrard Houllier, inferring that he needs to put more effort in during training.

Now you may be thinking what has this to do with Fulham and wouldn`t blame you.

But, and this is the crux of the matter, cast your mind back not too long ago when Stephen Ireland was the toast of the City support and ask yourselves who was pulling the managerial strings at City during that period.

That`s right! Mark Hughes! Time for a reunion methinks!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221631#ixzz15WbCWFCu

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221632

Fulham - Not Wanted?
Not to long ago we reported on how our former striker, David Healy, had scored for Doncaster Rovers on his debut.

Well David continued to show his scoring prowess by notching another for Doncaster last weekend.

But, strangely enough, the player who made his name as a scoring sensation for Northern Ireland finds himself cast in the international wilderness.

The Northern Ireland manager, Nigel Worthington, is apparently reluctant to pick him after Healy had gone two years without scoring an international goal!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221632#ixzz15WbS8P6V

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/46929/Given_looking_to_emulate_evergreen_Van_der_Sar_.aspx?

Given looking to emulate evergreen Van der Sar

Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given has no intention of retiring in the near future and has cited Manchester United veteran Edwin Van der Sar as the prime example of a player enjoying further successes in the twilight of his career.

Given yesterday reiterated his desire to leave Eastlands in the January transfer window having lost his place to Joe Hart, and having subsequently been linked with SPL giants Celtic, and City's Premier League counterparts Fulham and Arsenal, the Republic of Ireland hero has revealed a burning desire to continue his career despite his current enforced hiatus.

Given will win a record 109th cap for the Republic of Ireland this evening, but he remains hopeful he can continue his international career beyond this season, when hopefully he finds a new club.

He told reporters: "I'm having a good rest at the minute, so maybe I can add that on to the end!

"Look at Edwin van der Sar, he's turned 40 there and he is still at the top of his game, and I don't see why he can't play next season as well, Edwin, because he's playing so well.

"There's definitely an argument that goalkeepers go on longer. We have normally got longer careers than the outfield players."

Given added: "My own personal situation isn't ideal as everyone knows and I have spoken about it in the past, so we will see what happens over the next couple of months in that respect,
"I want to be playing football and I have always said that, so hopefully something will happen in the new year.

"It's frustrating and I have already said I'm not coping very well, to be honest."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6512128/Hughes-wary-of-Morocco-threat?

Hughes wary of Morocco threat

Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes has warned his team-mates that Marouane Chamakh is unlikely to be their only concern.

The in-form Arsenal striker is the obvious dangerman as Morocco visit Belfast for an international friendly on Wednesday, the 26-year-old having already struck eight times for his club this season.

But Hughes, who will be winning his 75th cap, is experienced enough to know that danger can come from anywhere on the pitch when playing at the highest level.

Hughes said: "We know he will be one of the most dangerous players on their side, he's going to be a threat.

"With his form at Arsenal at the minute we know the quality he brings to the side.

"It will be a good test for us - and not just from him, but all over the pitch.

"It will be a good test not only because of the quality of their side but also the fact a lot of us are in the squad together for the first time. We have so many young players or inexperienced players."

Hughes will comfortably be the most-capped Northern Ireland player on display. He will also be just one of three survivors from last month's frustrating Euro 2012 qualifying draw in the Faroe Islands following a raft of withdrawals.

Manager Nigel Worthington has turned to the Under-21s to help replenish numbers and Hughes has been impressed with how well the recruits have fitted in.

The 31-year-old Fulham defender said: "Everyone is settling really well.

"There are a lot of new faces in the squad but a lot of the lads have played together know each other from the Under-21s.

"Everyone's adapted pretty quickly and we're looking forward to the game."

Worthington, who named his team yesterday, has decided to award new caps to Preston midfielder Adam Barton - who is also eligible for England - and Watford defender Lee Hodson.

Inverness keeper Jonny Tuffey will take over from injured veteran Maik Taylor while Plymouth striker Rory Patterson will lead the attack with Chris Brunt playing just behind him.

Brunt has excelled on the wing for West Brom so far this term but Worthington wants to see if his talents can also be utilised up font.

Hughes said: "It gives a manager the chance to look at different things, whether it is players playing in different positions, new faces coming in or players that haven't played often.

"So when the qualifiers come round if he feels he needs to change things around, or we have other injuries, he has a better idea where to call from."

For Morocco the match marks the start of a new era as the first under former Marseille manager Eric Gerets.

The Belgian's appointment has been widely welcomed after a decade of under-achievement in the African country.

Chamakh said: "He's trying to create an ambience, a group, and I think the result of the match on Wednesday isn't too important.

The aim of this match is to confirm what we did in the previous match... the good relations with the team-mates, to confirm that."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1659/south-africa/2010/11/17/2218007/davide-somma-and-kagiso-dikgacoi-likely-to-start-for-south?

Davide Somma And Kagiso Dikgacoi Likely To Start For South Africa Against The USA
Here is the expected Bafana Bafana starting eleven that will face the USA in the Nelson Mandela Challenge at Cape Town Stadium tonight.

Davide Somma will start upfront to get his first cap for Bafana, while Siyabonga Sangweni and Morgan Gould will anchor the defence.

Steven Pienaar is back after missing the 2012 Afcon squallier against Sierra Leone due to injury to captain the side in the absence of Aaron Mokoena.

Kagisho Dikgacoi makes a return in what looks like a balanced side.

The squad:

Goalkeeper: Itumeleng Khune

Defenders: Anele Ngcongca, Siyabonga Sangweni, Morgan Gould, Tsepo Masilela

Midfielders: Steven Pienaar, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Thanduyise Khuboni, Siphiwe Tshabalala

Forwards: Bernard Parker, Davide Somma

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1330518/Northern-Ireland-defender-Aaron-Hughes-warns-team-mates-Morocco-threat.html?

They're more than just Chamakh! Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes warns team-mates over Morocco threat

Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes has warned his inexperienced team-mates that Marouane Chamakh is unlikely to be their only concern tonight.

The in-form Arsenal striker is the obvious dangerman as Morocco visit Belfast for an international friendly, the 26-year-old having already struck eight times for his club this season.

But Hughes, who will be winning his 75th cap, is experienced enough to know that danger can come from anywhere on the pitch when playing at the highest level.

Hughes said: 'We know he will be one of the most dangerous players on their side, he's going to be a threat.

'With his form at Arsenal at the minute we know the quality he brings to the side. It will be a good test for us - and not just from him, but all over the pitch.

'It will be a good test not only because of the quality of their side but also the fact a lot of us are in the squad together for the first time. We have so many young players or inexperienced players.'

Hughes will comfortably be the most-capped Northern Ireland player on display tonight.

He will also be just one of three survivors from last month's frustrating Euro 2012 qualifying draw in the Faroe Islands following a raft of withdrawals.

Manager Nigel Worthington has turned to the Under-21s to help replenish numbers and Hughes has been impressed with how well the recruits have fitted in.

The 31-year-old Fulham defender said: 'Everyone is settling really well. There are a lot of new faces in the squad but a lot of the lads have played together know each other from the Under-21s.

'Everyone's adapted pretty quickly and we're looking forward to the game.'

Worthington, who named his team yesterday, has decided to award new caps to Preston midfielder Adam Barton - who is also eligible for England - and Watford defender Lee Hodson.

Inverness keeper Jonny Tuffey will take over from injured veteran Maik Taylor while Plymouth striker Rory Patterson will lead the attack with Chris Brunt playing just behind him.

Brunt has excelled on the wing for West Brom so far this term but Worthington wants to see if his talents can also be utilised up font.

Hughes said: 'It gives a manager the chance to look at different things, whether it is players playing in different positions, new faces coming in or players that haven't played often.

'So when the qualifiers come round if he feels he needs to change things around, or we have other injuries, he has a better idea where to call from.'

For Morocco the match marks the start of a new era as the first under former Marseille manager Eric Gerets.

The Belgian's appointment has been widely welcomed after a decade of under-achievement in the African country.

Chamakh said: 'He's trying to create an ambience, a group, and I think the result of the match on Wednesday isn't too important.

'The aim of this match is to confirm what we did in the previous match... the good relations with the team-mates, to confirm that.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1330518/Northern-Ireland-defender-Aaron-Hughes-warns-team-mates-Morocco-threat.html#ixzz15XxBf800