Brentford (H)

Started by SP, March 09, 2020, 06:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: fulhamben on March 10, 2020, 03:12:38 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on March 10, 2020, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on March 10, 2020, 10:52:55 AM
Quote from: Penfold on March 10, 2020, 10:46:56 AM
On paper, we should be able to get a result v Brentford. The thing I'm wary about is that they always seem massively 'up' for this fixture with only one defeat in last 8 league meetings (at GP).

Interestingly, they have an impressive record v QPR in recent times as well.
on paper we should be able to get a result, but if anyone saw the reverse fixture, they will know how lucky we were not to get absolutely battered by them In that game. It's a miracle that it was only one nil, such was their dominance in every area of the field. Defensively we are far superior to how we were in that game, but going forwards we have regressed. We will have to have our best performance of the season by far to win this one, and let's hope we do, as like I said Brom will notice it.

If we go by that logic (that the game will inevitably play out similar to the previous fixture) we will at least completely outplay WBA and we will give Leeds a very good battle, so there is still hope then.

If Brentford were so far superior then surely they would be far above us in the table by now? I don't think we will have to give our best performance of the season just to stand a chance, that sounds like a huge exaggeration. If we play well, we will have a good chance of a positive result. In my opinion.
were we hugely superior to Huddersfield when we beat them 9 1 on aggregate? If so why didn't we finish above them. As I said above, sometimes you come across a team that you just can't compete with. Brentford's style tore us apart at gp and I fear exactly the same at the cottage

But it is 11 vs 11, so of course we can compete, it is not a style that is impossible to counter so obviously we might go about things a little different this time. I believe far too many conclusions are drawn on a single bad day at the office on this one.

As for bogey team that someone mentioned above, personally I don't believe there is such a thing, but that such results are merely a coincidence. I am not superstitious in the slightest (speaking of blind faith quite ironically when believing in bogey teams), so the fact we haven't beaten them for a long time at CC is of no concern to me. My concern is twofold, namely that far to often we haven't shown up this season and that Brentford is a quite good team for this level which means that even if we play really well the result may go against us based on coincidences, luck, refereeing, individual brilliance etc.

ffc73

Bogey team?  Not sure but irritating that we have such a poor home record against anyone.

Since our 1-0 home win on 10/4/90 we have played Brentford 10x times at the Cottage. 
DLLLdDLDDD.  Goals scored 7, goals conceded 14.

All that is history.  Friday, coronavirus, permitting gives us the opportunity to win, put pressure on top two and cement our playoff position.

bog

When they payed Leeds at home there was only one team in it and it weren't them Bees.

092.gif

SuffolkWhite

Time to beat them me thinks.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

toshes mate

I hope you are right, SuffolkWhite, and it would be a good time to put an apparent jinx in its place.

For me this season no games involving us have been easy to call and I would argue that most results have been random in context of performances, good, bad or indifferent. The most striking feature for me has been the similarities in the goals for and against columns, as if both attack and defence activity has been locked into modes which are not going to change.  Perhaps its time for a whole run of good plays to make its appearance and that this team will show that they can produce commanding performances when the chips are down, starting Friday.  5-0 or 0-5 could happen of course, but I am guessing an altogether tighter game in which the team with the greater all round mental strength will win, and I hope that is the team in B&W.

filham

Quote from: colinwhite on March 09, 2020, 06:28:11 PM
Ben, we are going to hammer them !
We don't do hammerings any more, the best we can hope for is a tight game with few scoreing chances and a nail biting last 15 minutes hanging on to a one goal lead.
Now Brentford have dished up a good few tasty hammerings this season.

However if we go home with Fulham securing three points then I will be happy and that is just possible.

Riversider

Brentford at home just doesn't feel important this morning , if it gets announced today that it's either going to be postponed or played behind closed doors it will feel like a relief,
Struggling to see how this season will be completed, were 11 days behind Italy on the same trajectory,  so a week or so from now there could potentially be thousands of cases in this country including professional football players,
We may well not be able to attend another game this season.

Ognip

Expecting that the match will be behind closed doors

fcfulham55

Brentford just doesn't excite us as it does them. It's their big day out.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

70sPimlico

Quote from: fcfulham55 on March 12, 2020, 04:49:39 PM
Brentford just doesn't excite us as it does them. It's their big day out.

I always enjoy the matches against them. Good atmosphere. You know they want it bad and that excites and makes victories sweet. You got to give it to them over the last few seasons, the play a great brand of football and without question, punching above their weight. No denying, we could do without them going up.

brightster

Quote from: brightster on March 12, 2020, 07:01:50 PM
I think we will win 1-0 or 2-1, got a good feeling, glad the game is going ahead with fans, although do understand some people are in a quandary whether  to attend because of the virus, at least it's on Sky so hopefully people can see it still.
Although they are a bit of a bogey team recently our records over the years is exactly the same!
Games won:   21
Games drawn:   17
Games lost:   21