more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 11/03/20...

Started by WhiteJC, March 10, 2020, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Look Like Certs For The Play-Offs As These Stats Show Why

With Fulham struggling once again to make ground on the top two with a lacklustre performance in attack in their 1-1 draw at Bristol City, it seems automatic promotion has all but gone this season.

Captain Tom Cairney and goalkeeper Rodak were the only two players that really stood out in yet another poor display from the Whites strikers. The team lack cohesion when attacking the opposition. A perfect example was following a corner in the second half to Bristol City. Fulham pushing for the first goal decided to throw virtually every player up barring the not quickest defender Tim Ream left alone to cover.

Pretty obvious what was likely if City cleared the ball, which they did. Three strikers broke the fastest leaving poor Ream having to cope on his own against them all. Luckily the ball was not squared before Ream managed to get a foot in to avoid a certain goal for the home side, although they won a corner. Poor defending from the Fulham defenders not clearing the ball after two to three chances to do so, ended in a simple header for Wells after 70 mins to put City ahead.

Fourteen minutes later Cairney (back at his best in recent games), created and tucked away a peach of a goal finding the bottom corner of City's net. This was to be one of the only real goal scoring opportunities Fulham managed in the whole match.

Fulham will look back and feel like another two points dropped against a team that we should have beaten comfortably. This, unfortunately, has been the trend all too often this season. We may have tightened the defence, but with the quality of players we have available, we have never looked like a side capable of thrashing anyone, apart from the 4-0 demolition of a very poor Millwall team early in the season.

There is good news and not so good news though for our beloved Fulham. We will in my opinion, apart from suffering a total collapse during the final nine games left, be in the Play-Offs again. The not so good news is, we have now lost the race for automatic promotion. Leeds and WBA have it virtually sewn up.

Here are some stats that show what Fulham need to finish in the top six;

We currently have 64 points. The team in 7th place are Bristol City with 55 pts. So we are 9 points above the highest team just below a Play-Off spot. If Bristol City managed a massive 18 pts from their last 9 games, (which would be say 5 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat, highly unlikely) that would give them 73 pts in total.

We would therefore only need another 10 points to guarantee our Play-Off position. That would require 3 wins, 1 draw and allow us 5 defeats from our final 9 games to achieve this. More than likely we will reach the top six place with 9 points or less needed. If we cannot average one point a match, then we definitely wouldn't deserve a Play-Off spot this year.

On current form over the last 5 league games, only Leeds have managed 5 wins. The next in form team have been QPR, with 3 wins and 2 draws. They are currently in 12th place with 50 pts, just 6 behind Preston in 6th. Wigan are third in current form but lay in 20th position on 41 pts. Too late for top six but look healthy enough to avoid the drop.

My pre-season prediction for the top six were Leeds and WBA in 1st and 2nd, with Fulham, Forest, Cardiff and Derby in Play-Off positions. Well I may not be too far off but predict Brentford, if they don't throw another wobbly finishing 3rd, Fulham 4th and watch out for the late runners Cardiff, and even Derby challenging Forest for 5th and 6th.

At the bottom currently are all the three teams promoted last season, Charlton, Luton and Barnsley. Out of those, I predict the only one that may avoid the drop could be Charlton. That is due to the downfall of Hull City. They looked at the end of 2019 as possible top six contenders, but the club have let down their supporters by selling their top two players, Bowen and Grosicki. This signalled the white flag, and they have lost their last four games.

Whatever happens to our Fulham team come the end of the season, it will have been 100% better than the miserable season we endured in the Premier League last year.

COYW ......................

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/fulham-look-like-certs-for-the-play-offs-as-these-stats-show-why/

WhiteJC

Christie Wins PFA Player In The Community Award

The three divisional winners of the PFA Player in the Community Award have today been revealed by the EFL.

Recognised for the significant role they each play in supporting their local communities, Fulham's Cyrus Christie receives the award for the Sky Bet Championship, Calvin Andrew, Rochdale AFC for League One and Plymouth Argyle's Joel Grant wins the accolade for League Two.

As an ambassador for the Fulham FC Foundation, Cyrus Christie has been at the forefront of many of the Club's community initiatives and projects, including work with Football Beyond Borders (FBB), Brixton Soup Kitchen and the Royal Star and Garter Home. His commitment and valuable contribution to the Club's local people impressed the judges, for him to receive the Player in the Community Award for the Championship.

Rochdale's Calvin Andrew plays an integral role in the success of the Club Community Organisation (CCO), engaging with over 800 participants of the Club's community projects in 2019. He regularly attends school visits, football schools and works closely with Rochdale AFC Ladies team. As player liaison for the Club and PFA Player Ambassador for Show Racism the Red Card, he provides inspiration and support to the wider community.

In League Two, Plymouth Argyle's Joel Grant has devoted his time while injured to actively seek out ways in which he can support projects and participants across Plymouth and Cornwall. In particular, his work with wellbeing programme FIT PILGRIMS is recognised and he was named as FIT FANS ambassador for the Club in January. Joel has used his own experience to empathise with people of the community and understand the barriers facing participants, inspiring individuals of all ages to engage with the Trust's activity.

All three divisional winners are worthy recipients of the award as they have gone above and beyond expectations during the past year both during and outside the regular football season.

The overall winner of the 2020 PFA Player in the Community Award will be announced at the EFL Awards on Sunday 19 April in central London.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/10/cyrus-christie-wins-pfa-player-in-the-community

WhiteJC

'When you are being sent an image of four black people hanging from a tree and nothing gets done, how do you feel?': Fulham star Cyrus Christie on suffering shocking racist abuse and his tough upbringing in Coventry

Cyrus Christie revealed the shocking racist abuse he has suffered to Sportsmail
    The star describes reporting racism but not hearing back from the authorities
    The Fulham full back also opened up about his tough upbringing in Coventry
    Christie supports a youth refugee programme and initiatives to aid mental health
    He outlines his ambitions to set up an academy and also inspire young people

When Cyrus Christie became a target for racist abuse while playing for the Republic of Ireland, he went to see the police.

'They seemed like they would be great and gave me a number to call if I needed them,' Christie told Sportsmail.

'A while later I called it and it didn't even work. We never heard from them again. It's then that you realise there really is no point.'

Cyrus Christie has revealed the extent of shocking racist abuse he has suffered to Sportsmail

Christie, who plays for Fulham in the Championship, is so accustomed to racist harassment on social media that he picks and chooses what he reports. It is as though he has sliding scale in his head.

'I have sat down many times and decided not to pursue something because nothing ever gets done,' he shrugged.

'When you are being sent an image of four black people hanging from a tree – representing my family - and nothing gets done, how do you feel?

'Or when there is a petition calling for you to be lynched, how do you feel?

'If it was the other way round, we know how quick it would be sorted. That's the issue.'

At the start of the season, Christie's sister complained she had been racially abused in the Fulham away end at Barnsley. Understandably, Christie went after that one, even though he knew it would bring him in to conflict with his club's fans. Look beneath some of his Twitter posts now and some one-word replies remain. 'Grass'.

The Fulham star is so accustomed to social media abuse that he now chooses what to report

A man was arrested after that incident but now the Crown Prosecution Service has dropped the case. It's a blow but Christie refuses to miss a stride and Fulham may yet pursue a civil prosecution.

'People are not sure about speaking up about racism because of the abuse that follows,' he said.

'But I won't be like that. If you speak out you are branded a liar. They say you are soft, rising to the bait.

'But I sat down with athletes at a Nike thing and listened to people's stories. It is everywhere. A young girl, a footballer from Tottenham, said she had been racially abused.

'But these athletes think they don't have a big enough voice to speak out. So they don't.'

Christie is a young black man from Coventry. He has witnessed racism almost from the day he was born. So he knows what it looks, sounds and feels like.

Despite his relatively low profile, his is becoming an important voice and he is exactly the kind of strong, intelligent individual the subject needs.

Christie is an important voice on racism after growing up a young black man in Coventry

Asked if the football authorities – or a body like Kick it Out – have ever been in touch, he laughed.

'Hardly,' he said. 'It always takes the bigger voice to kick start something doesn't it?

'There is always more discrimination in the lower leagues but our voice isn't as big as Raheem Sterling's or Gary Neville's.

'Neville did a thing on racism on Sky and suddenly people think: 'It must be true then'.

'I have experienced many cases but you don't hear from the FA or anyone. I think they know they should be doing a lot more.

'It's a tough job for people like Kick it Out. They don't have the budget. But people like the FA are quicker to reach out to some people than others. That's not right.'

Christie spoke last week in a classroom at the St Mary Magdalene School in Greenwich, East London. He was there to attend a Football Beyond Borders session with disadvantaged children.

FBB will help over 1000 children at 50 schools across the UK this academic year and is just one of many community initiatives Christie is involved with.

On Tuesday he is revealed by the EFL as the Championship's PFA Player in the Community for this season. Given the list of charities he works with, it is hardly surprising.

The star is set to be revealed by the EFL as the Championship's PFA Player in the Community

In conjunction with Fulham, he has supported a youth refugee programme, initiatives to aid mental health and food bank collections. Outside of that, he works with FBB, Brixton soup kitchen and Carney Community Gym in Battersea. The latter is work he does in memory of his late uncle Errol, the former European Amateur middleweight champion.

Asked why he does quite so much, Christie jokes that it's 'better than sleeping in the afternoon'. But the truth is found in his upbringing in Coventry.

'There were racial wars back then,' he said.

'My dad's family were the only black people in the area and the skinheads used to come for them every day.

'My school was sandwiched between two BNP areas. We would play football and people would monkey chant from their windows.

'Lads would bring machetes to school. It was blacks against whites.

'On my first day at school there was a crowd running at me and my friend. It was 'get the blackie'. That was my friend as he was darker than me. We had to run.

'I wouldn't get served for an ice cream because I was black but there was real danger too, a few incidents where friends got stabbed. Maybe I was lucky.

We played 5-a-side and after a game one of the lads smashed a bottle and cut my mate from his eye to the corner of his mouth. Sliced his cheek right through. He needed plastic surgery.

'People went out for retaliation the next day. Someone phoned and asked me to go but my nan wouldn't let me. I was 14 and had homework.

'I woke up the next day to the news that the guy who called me got stabbed 15 or 16 times. It was random, though. A completely different attack. Again, it could have been me.

'A lot of people did die. I think about them all the time. In Coventry's gang culture kids are still getting killed now.

'I sit down with friends and family and try to find new ways to help kids. We have things in the pipeline.

'Me and Callum Wilson [Bournemouth striker] want to set up an academy. We are not trying to find the next footballer or Anthony Joshua. We just want to help scared kids become better people and have a future.'

Christie made his debut for Coventry at 17. But it was on loan at Nuneaton several months later where he was racially abused for the first time in football. A senior team-mate referred to the colour of his skin and his manhood.

'I had never met him before,' Christie said. 'I signed, turned up on the coach for a game and he just said it.

His future ambitions surround founding an academy with Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson

'I wanted to fight him. I was more hot headed back then.

'Does it still go on at that level? Maybe. There is a different mentality in non-league.

'There will always be banter but there is a line you can't cross. I had known that bloke for one minute. I hope he wouldn't get away with it now but I don't know...

'Dressing room culture has changed but not as much as people think. It is still macho. A lot of players are too scared to speak.

'You should be able to help each other. There should be someone there you can rely on.

'A lad may be playing crap but he may have something going on at home.

'It's the same with the kids here. If you delve in to their background you will probably find something. They may not have food in their cupboards but they are embarrassed to say.

'At the soup kitchen they do a discreet service as some people are too proud. People need to know they won't be judged, in sport and in life.'

Recent controversies in football have not passed Christie by.

Christie has kept a close eye on recent controversies after Eric Dier confronted a supporter

Eric Dier jumped in to the crowd at Tottenham to confront a supporter while Jesse Lingard was racially abused after Manchester United's game at Derby.

And then there is the case of Charlton's Jonathan Leko who claimed he was not offered support from within football after being called a 'n****r' by Leeds goalkeeper Kiko Casilla.

The Kick it Out Group have since claimed they did contact Charlton but their message was not passed on.

Christie said: 'That's just incredible. It's why people like Raheem [Sterling] feel they have to get involved.

'We spoke to Twitter and their whole thing was about freedom of speech. We were wasting our time.

'So you feel it will happen anyway and you have a choice either to ignore it or take things in to your own hands.

Raheem Sterling has aimed to raise awareness of racism amid concerns over a lack of support

'Eric Dier had clearly just had enough. Footballers are human beings. Money doesn't make you deaf or blind to abuse.

'We have a right to stick up for ourselves but if we have a nibble back we are seen to be in the wrong. Some players will get sick of it soon so the authorities do need to do more.'

The FA, PFA and other football bodies are short of young minority figures in prominent positions.

'There are certain players from previous generations who would be perfect,' said Christie.

'Look at Ian Wright. You put him in a job like that and he would be amazing wouldn't he?

'He didn't turn pro 'til 24 and to achieve what he has is incredible and inspirational to young kids and players.

'But only TV seem interested in him. Why?

'It's crazy that ex-footballers haven't been given the high profile roles. You need people there who are visible.'

Christie has endured a tough season at Fulham but is a fan favourite due to his sheer desire

Christie is a remarkable young sportsman. Many do not know him now but surely one day they will. His season at Fulham has been difficult and he has only just broken back in to the team.

But they love him at Craven Cottage, for his desire to succeed and his innate ability to see the big picture. One would imagine it will take him far, on the pitch or off.

'Coming from my background, you cannot let people walk over you because if you allow them to they will,' he added.

'If you have something to say, say it. If you have to fight, you have to fight.

'But as I have got older I realise I have had to look at things from a different perspective.

'Life is not just about me or about football.

'I have to try and inspire young people. My uncle Errol came through a certain situation and made a name for himself. I am trying to do the same.

'I am just trying to be the best version of me. If I died tomorrow, how would people remember me? A good person, a nice guy. I hope so anyway.

'That would mean more than promotions and medals.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8092915/Fulham-star-Cyrus-Christie-reveals-Sportsmail-suffering-shocking-racist-abuse.html

WhiteJC

Fulham, Are You Listening... To The Beesotted Radio Show?

This week's Beesotted crew are Dave Lane and Gary GP Paul who, like everyone else at Griffin Park at the weekend, were treated to a real Five Star Brentford performance, with The Bees dispatching of Sheffield Wednesday with relative ease... the win really does set up Friday night's West london derby with Fulham perfectly from a Brentford point of view... the Cottagers will be wary of what could happen again on their own patch. We hear from Thomas Frank after Saturday's win, the fans of both teams after the final whistle, speak to Bees journo Jim Levack ahead of that trip to Fulham, as well as Brentford kit collector, Nick Bruzon, to discuss the best and worst Bees kits ever seen at Griffin Park.

https://beesotted.com/fulham-are-you-listening-to-the-beesotted-radio-show/

WhiteJC

Extra-time win puts Fulham in PL Cup quarter-finals

Matt O'Riley scores 116th-minute penalty as Cottagers edge past Charlton in round of 16, while Wigan reach knockout stage

Fulham moved into the quarter-finals of the Premier League Cup after a dramatic 2-1 extra-time win at Charlton Athletic.

Josh Davison gave the Addicks a 28th-minute lead at The Valley, but Martell Taylor-Crossdale equalised in the 89th minute to force the extra half-hour.

Matt O'Riley, pictured, then converted a 116th-minute penalty to take Fulham through.

See: Fulham report

Wigan Athletic moved through to the round of 16 by beating Sunderland 2-0 with two second-half goals.

Charlie Jolley put them ahead with a 55th-minute penalty and Divin Baningime secured the victory nine minutes later.

See: Wigan report | Sunderland report

Wolverhampton Wanderers' visit to Blackburn Rovers and Exeter City's meeting with Newcastle United, both scheduled for Monday evening, were postponed because of the weather.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1637463

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 13/03
Our only home game for March is a Friday evening kick off against local(ish) rivals Brentford.
In other circumstances an away draw at Bristol would have been a good result, especially after going a goal behind, but if we're aiming for automatic promotion it must be seen as 2 points dropped? Having said that we played well and it looks as if Captain Cairney is back to his best, Tom had his best game in an age, lets hope he continues.

Brentford are scoring goals for fun 5-0 against Wednesday, they also beat Hull 1-5 earlier in February, our defence will have to be on top of their game Friday evening.

Brentford are another team who like playing us, they've won 5, drawn 3 and only lost 2 against us in recent games. They are currently on 60 points, 4 behind us, so we could stretch that gap to 7 and move ourselves closer to West Brom and Leeds.

COYWs

Games of Interest...
Friday 13th

Fulham v Brentford

Saturday 14th
West Brom v Birmingham
Hull v Charlton
Luton v Preston NE
Millwall v Derby
QPR v Barnsley
Sheff Wed v Nottm Forest

Sunday 15th
Cardiff v Leeds

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=1115

WhiteJC

Josh Onomah sends five-word message regarding Fulham injury recovery

Fulham remain in the hunt for an automatic-promotion spot in the Championship as the third-placed side currently sit six points adrift of West Brom in second spot.

It looked like Scott Parker's side might fall off the pace over the weekend when they were trailing 1-0 to Bristol City, but Cottagers captain Tom Cairney scored during the closing stages to seal a precious point for the west Londoners.

This means Fulham now have nine matches to propel their bid for an automatic-promotion spot, but Parker's men may be forced to settle for a play-off spot if they cannot catch either West Brom or Leeds during the closing weeks of the season.

The Craven Cottage outfit will need to step up their promotion bid without a number of injured players though with the likes of Joe Bryan, Terence Kongolo and Joshua Onomah all sidelined with problems at the moment.

Onomah has represented a particular loss in Fulham's midfield given he had started his side's seven matches leading up to the injury, but he has now missed the last four games after being ruled out for six weeks with a knee issue.

The 22-year-old has now taken to Instagram as he continues along his path to recovery, with Onomah having shared a message stating how much he misses being on the pitch for the Cottagers.

Onomah has been an excellent addition for Fulham since his permanent switch from Tottenham over the summer, with the midfielder having made 26 appearances in all competitions for Parker's side across the campaign so far.

The Verdict

Onomah's absence would have come as a big blow to Fulham given the energy he brings in the middle of the park, but the Cottagers have still managed to cope relatively well without his presence as they have collected eight points from four games.

The former Tottenham man's absence has also enabled Cairney to show more creative freedom in midfield, which means Fulham have certainly found a way around the initially worrying problem of Onomah's injury.

However, Parker will still be keeping his fingers crossed that Onomah can return to full fitness before the end of the season given the Fulham boss will need all his options available to him, while the fact it looks like Onomah will definitely be fit in time for the play-offs means he could still have a big role to play this term.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/josh-onomah-sends-five-word-message-regarding-fulham-injury-lay-off/

WhiteJC

"Doing a Fulham but are even worse"- These Blues fans left howling after rival's result

A lot of Blues fans have been getting rather excited about the performances of bitter rivals Aston Villa.

Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing isn't it? And there's never a bad time to indulge in it, especially when the person responsible is at their lowest.

And you can certainly make the argument that that's the case for Aston Villa right about now. After their result against Leicester City on Monday night left them 19th in the Premier League table, there are plenty of Birmingham City fans who are enjoying every moment of their misery in the top flight.

That's why so many of them took to social media to laugh at our rivals from across the second city, with some even making the point that the Blues might have the better squad seeing as they gave a more competitive performance against the Foxes last week in the F.A Cup.

Does anyone think that Villa are going to be coming down this season? Because it's not looking promising for them, especially given who they have to face in the coming weeks.

https://birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/doing-a-fulham-but-are-even-worse-these-blues-fans-left-howling-after-rivals-result/

WhiteJC

Andy Hinchcliffe reveals what will stop Fulham from closing the gap on Leeds United and West Brom

Sky Sports pundit Andy Hinchcliffe has given his thoughts on this season's race for automatic promotion in the Championship, specifically looking at Fulham's chances.

Leeds United and West Brom currently lead the way in the second tier, sat seven and six points clear in the automatic places respectively, with Fulham currently the best of the rest in third.

Their next two matches both come against teams also battling at the top in Brentford and Leeds with West Brom still to play, but Hinchcliffe does not think they will do enough to close the gap in that time.

"It's their opposition that will stop them finishing in the top two," he told the Sky Sports EFL Podcast, published on Monday afternoon.

"I've always felt as the seasons gone on that West Brom and Leeds are that the best sides and the most consistent sides and Fulham losing at home to Barnsley is the perfect example as you don't see that happening to other teams.

"If you'd offered Scott Parker a play-off place at the start of the season he probably would have accepted it."

Last weekend saw Fulham pick up a decent point on the road as they made the trip to play-off chasing Bristol City on Saturday lunch-timer.

They fell behind in the second-half through a Nahki Wells header but a brilliant strike from Tom Cairney saw Parker and his side make the trip back to South West London with an extra point to their name.

Leeds on the other hand travel to Cardiff City, looking to make it six wins and six clean sheets in a row, whilst West Brom welcome Birmingham City to the Hawthornes.

The verdict

I agree that Fulham will not make the top two, but I do not think it will necessarily be down to the quality of West Brom and Leeds.

The two have, of course, been impressive but you still feel that a squad of Fulham's quality would be able to close the gap if they had a more coherent approach in recent weeks.

They are bursting with proven Championship quality and it will be bitterly disappointing for fans that they have only mounted a feeble challenge at best.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/andy-hinchcliffe-reveals-what-will-stop-fulham-from-closing-the-gap-on-leeds-united-and-west-brom/

WhiteJC

Predicting the promotion fight between West Brom, Leeds, Preston, Fulham and Nottingham Forest

It's still very much all to play for in the race to reach the Championship Play-Offs

Preston North End's Tom Barkhuizen

There's nine games to go and Preston North End's fate remains in their own hands despite their recent poor form.

It's been one win and four defeats in five for the Lilywhites but Alex Neil's team still occupy sixth spot in the Championship, with others failing to take advantage.

Preston beat Hull City 2-1 at home four matches ago, but zero points from home clashes against QPR and Millwall and away trips to high flying Fulham and West Brom have clouded over that.

Now North End are desperate to find some form and get back on track - before the one-nil home loss to Gary Rowett's side, PNE had gone six unbeaten in the league.

Ahead of the visit to Luton Town this weekend, getting back on a positive run at such a crucial stage of the season is the aim.

Preston have struggled to fire in front of goal, scoring just three times in their last three matches.

And things haven't exactly been tight at the other end, with ten goals shipped.

There's been signs of encouragement in those matches but with it being the business end of the campaign, that counts for very little and Alex Neil needs to rally his troops ahead of nine huge matches.

PNE will go to-to-toe with those fighting for the same prize - home matches against Nottingham Forest and Cardiff and trips to Brentford and Bristol City are still to come.

With the pressure and excitement only set to increase with every game, there's sure to be plenty of twists and turns in the promotion race yet.

Using our results predictor below, you can see how the Lilywhites' season will end on the pitch based on your predictions.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/predicting-promotion-fight-between-west-17896195

WhiteJC

TBR View: Josh Cullen is the perfect start to Leeds' Premier League recruitment process

The 16-year wait for Premier League football is close to finally coming to an end, as Leeds United sit seven points clear of third-place Fulham with just nine games to go – and Victor Orta's planning for Premier League survival must begin now.

Five consecutive wins and no goals conceded has seen the Whites propel themselves from going dangerously close to dropping into the play-offs, to topping the Championship with just nine to play. Premier League football is on its way to Elland Road.

A number of positions need strengthening, though, if Leeds are to survive the drop. A striker still seems to be an issue for the Whites, while a permanent partner for Mateusz Klich needs to be found.

Ben White remains on loan at the club and although the Whites want to sign him from Brighton permanently, centre-backs are needed – and perhaps more than just one central defender. In recent weeks, cover for Kalvin Phillips has become important.

Leeds lack that, with White stepping into the number four role – meaning his absence leaves a gap at central defence. A tough-tacking, hard-working, technically-gifted, tempo-dictating midfielder is required. Leeds have been linked with one.

Indeed, The Daily Mail claims Leeds are rivalling Bournemouth, Norwich and West Brom for West Ham midfielder Josh Cullen. The 23-year-old is currently impressing on loan at Lee Bowyer's Charlton Athletic on loan.

The Hammers have activated an option to keep Cullen until 2021, but he could still be sold given he is set to enter the last 12 months of his current deal. He has been first choice for Charlton, clocking up 25 league games – missing 11 with an ankle issue.

Cullen is very hard-working and his willingness to cover every blade of grass makes him a perfect addition for Bielsa's team. Not only can he provide cover for Phillips, but the Ireland Under-21 star can also play further ahead in midfield.

With Orta likely to start Premier League recruitment soon, signing Cullen would be an excellent start to that process.

https://tbrfootball.com/tbr-view-josh-cullen-is-the-perfect-start-to-leeds-premier-league-recruitment-process/

WhiteJC

Phil Hay responds when asked if Leeds should try to sign Mitrovic & Sturridge in summer

If Leeds United win promotion to the Premier League this season then they are bound to need major investment in the squad in order to keep their heads above water.

One of the main areas of the squad that will no doubt be looked at in the summer is the centre-forward position with Patrick Bamford struggling during spells in the Championship and Jean-Kevin Augustin yet to prove he is anywhere near fit enough to play in a Marcelo Bielsa team.

Phil Hay ran a Q&A session on The Athletic website on Tuesday and one Leeds fan asked whether Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic and free agent Daniel Sturridge are strikers the Whites should go in for in the summer.

Although Sturridge is not someone who Hay reckons Bielsa would want, the reporter has suggested Mitrovic could be of interest.

"Not so sure about Sturridge," said the former Yorkshire Evening Post journalist. "I know why you say that because he'll be on a free but he's been drifting for a while.

"Mitrovic could be a good shout based on the system Bielsa plays. But then again, Fulham might yet go up."

Mitrovic has been a force to be reckoned with in the Championship with Fulham.

He's scored 39 goals in 76 second-tier appearances across his spells at both Craven Cottage and with former club Newcastle United, with 23 of those goals coming this season for Scott Parker's side.

Mitrovic scored 11 times in 37 Premier League appearances last term for Fulham as they were relegated, which isn't an awful record for a team that played so badly.

Maybe he is someone Victor Orta and Bielsa will take a liking to in the summer if the Cottagers miss out on promotion.

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/phil-hay-responds-when-asked-if-leeds-should-try-to-sign-mitrovic-sturridge-in-summer/