Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 12/03/20...

Started by WhiteJC, March 11, 2020, 01:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

We're on our Way: Fulham

Plan your matchday with our Away Day Guide

Overview

Situated just metres from the banks of the Thames and featuring the unique red brick façade of the Stevenage Road stand; Craven Cottage is arguably one of the most picturesque stadiums in English football. 

The site where the stadium now sits was stumbled upon by club representatives in 1894 and was in such a state of disrepair, it required two years of significant clearing and building work to prepare it as a sporting venue. Upon the completion of those works, Fulham played the first game with any gate receipts against Minerva in the Middlesex Senior Cup, before the first stand – the 'Rabbit Hutch' stand was built shortly after.

One of eleven stadiums to host football at the 1948 Olympics, Fulham's home continued to be developed across the 1950s and 1960s in spite of the loss of their Division One status, and a roof was constructed over the Hammersmith End at a cost of £42,500 in 1964.

Former chairman Jimmy Hill tabled plans for an brand new stadium in 1996 when the Whites were in Division Three, but though Jean Tigana led them to the Premier League within just five years, the required developments to make the Cottage all-seater failed to materialise. Amid intense protests, the club relocated to local rivals QPR's Loftus Road home in 2002, where they stayed until the summer of 2004, when Craven Cottage was reopened as a 22,000-seater venue, compliant with Premier League regulations.

The Cottage is currently operating with only three stands due to an £80 million redevelopment of the Riverside Stand, which will take the stadium's capacity to 29,600 by its projected completion date in 2021, re-opening a disused stretch of the Thames' riverside walkway in the process.

Craven Cottage has been a happy hunting ground for the Bees over the years, with just one league defeat suffered at the stadium in 20 trips since January 1954, when Frank Dudley scored the consolation in a 4-1 reverse.

Did you know?

The original 'Cottage' was situated where the centre circle currently lies and was used as a royal hunting lodge before it was burned down in 1888. When London County Council attempted to close the stadium in the early 1900s, architect Archibald Leitch built the present day Cottage and the Stevenage Road stand, both of which have remained open ever since.

How to get there

For those supporters coming from the south, drivers will need to leave the M25 at Junction 10 and take the A3 towards Central London. After around eight miles, leave the A3 at the turn off for the A219. Take the A219 towards Putney. Continue straight on this road, down Putney High Street and across Putney Bridge. You will see the ground on your left.

Alternatively, for those coming from the north or the west, drivers should leave the M25 at Junction 15 and take the M4, which then becomes the A4, towards Central London. After around two miles branch off left into Hammersmith Broadway and go around the ring road around central Hammersmith, keeping to the right. Then take the A219 Fulham Palace Road. Keep straight on this road, passing Charing Cross Hospital on your left. After about another half a mile, take one of the right hand turns for the ground. If you pass the Fulham Palace Garden Centre on your right, then you have gone too far.

Parking around the ground can be difficult due to the one-hour pay and display policy enforced until 9.30pm on matchday. However one option is the Westfield multi-storey car park in nearby Shepherd's Bush. It's around an hour's walk, however the 220 bus departs every 8 minutes from the shopping centre's Uxbridge Road bus stop.

Equally, public transport is perhaps the most viable option for supporters. The nearest station is Putney Bridge, which is on the London Underground District Line and is less than a mile away. Hammersmith London Underground station, on the Piccadilly, District, Circle and Hammersmith and City lines, is around 20 minutes away on foot.

Putney station is just over a mile from the ground. Train travellers can get trains to Putney directly from Brentford, Richmond, Twickenham, Clapham Junction and London Waterloo. Many London Buses also serve Fulham Place Road from Putney, Hammersmith, and central London.

Where to eat/drink

With Friday's game being a feisty local derby, based on recent trips to the Cottage, there are strict restrictions in place as to where Brentford fans can and can't drink before the game. Close to Putney Bridge tube station on Fulham High Street is the Eight Bells, a popular away fans pub that once housed the Whites' changing rooms when they played at Ranelagh House. Also on the high street is the Temperance, which features a large round bar, screens football on a projector and offers food such as burgers and hot dogs for reasonable prices, while opposite is the popular King's Arms.

It's worth checking on the day which pubs are admitting away fans anyway, but the following have historically turned Brentford fans away: The Crabtree, The Durrell Arms, The Golden Lion, Zulu Bar, The Railway, The Fox. The Star & Garter, meanwhile, usually doesn't admit football fans at all.

Friday's game is SOLD OUT but you can follow from wherever you are in the world with Mark Burridge and the iFollow Brentford team.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/march/fulham-brentford-away-day-guide/

WhiteJC

Former Chelsea youngster Taylor-Crossdale on life at Fulham & following in Abraham's footsteps

The 20-year-old left the Blues when his contract expired in 2019 and he insists he doesn't regret joining the Cottagers despite his lack of minutes

Former Chelsea forward Martell Taylor-Crossdale has revealed he is still committed to Fulham despite a lack of regular first-team football as he also expressed his admiration for Tammy Abraham.

Taylor-Crossdale has thus far been limited to playing for the Cottagers' Under-23 side - with one first-team appearance coming in the Carabao Cup - although he is benefitting from the experience of learning from top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The 20-year-old turned down Hoffenheim in favour of a move to Fulham in the summer and he remains determined to prove his worth to first-team manager Scott Parker in an attempt to earn more minutes on the pitch.

"When I chose Fulham, I was just looking for a pathway that was structured and with a plan," Taylor-Crossdale told Goal. "I wanted to go somewhere where the team was good and it would be a challenge for me.

"That's something that I looked for when I left Chelsea, nothing more. I would say so far it has been challenging and up and down really. It started off well and I was with the first team and getting opportunities.

"I was training with them for a couple of months. I managed to make the bench and I was travelling. That was all good but then I got put back down to the Under-23s. That's been a challenge for me to maintain the levels that I need to.

"Every day I have to train as hard as I can when I am with the first-team and not take these chances for granted. I can't wait for people to give it to me on a plate. I have to go and take it. It's all about how hard I work really.

"The plan is to get in the team more. I want as many appearances as I can in the men's game and just really take hold of my career and kick on. My debut was a big lifetime moment that I will never forget. It was a big achievement for me. That's my highlight of the season so far.

"We definitely belong in the Premier League. The way we play would suit the Premier League so much. We pass the ball so well and when we get the chance, we are deadly. There is no reason why this squad can't get promoted and stay in the Premier League.

"It was a great opportunity for me to get in there and see how these lot work from day-to-day. It is a very high standard and demanding so you have to be at it every day. You have got to learn from the first team. When I was there, I was taking little notes from Mitro (Mitrovic) and learning off him really.

"I want to take things from him. He has scored over 20 goals already this season so to be close to him and learn off him and train like him can help me."

Taylor-Crossdale, who was the Under-18 Premier League top scorer in 2016-17, also revealed how he thrived alongside the likes of Reece James and Callum Hudson-Odoi prior to his decision to leave Chelsea.

"It was hard to leave but it was the right decision," he added. "You have to see the bigger picture. There are different pathways for everyone. Saying goodbye to everyone was hard but sometimes you have got to do what you have got to do.

"The top goalscoring season was helped by [Under-18 head coach] Ed Brand and Jody Morris. They showed me the next levels to go to. The fitness levels, footballing, tactically and then I was topping the charts. That was good.

"I had James, who was crossing from everywhere, defending and leading the team. Then on the other side, I had Callum who creates, links and scores. It made it easier for us. Having both of them was crazy.

"Tammy and Dominic Solanke left and then it was me. I was watching them scoring goals, I was younger and I wanted to be like that. I wanted to be a striker.

"So there was a bit of pressure. It's amazing what Tammy is doing now. His first full season in the Premier League after Swansea. He is performing very well and he needs to keep going. We used to say we can't wait for that time to happen and luckily it happened for him.

"It's good they are all still my friends. I still talk to them and root for them. It's good seeing that and hopefully it will be my time to do the same thing."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/former-chelsea-youngster-taylor-crossdale-on-life-at-fulham/1gdw2atukuc4l1370w3nenro98

WhiteJC

3 factors that will determine Fulham's fortunes in season run-in

For Fulham, every game is now a must-win as they look to close the gap on the top-two and win automatic promotion straight back to the Premier League.

As things stand they sit in third place, six points behind West Brom in second and seven behind table-toppers Leeds, so these final nine matches could not be of higher importance – starting this Friday night against Brentford.

But what do the club need to happen in order to achieve those promotion goals?

We take a look at THREE factors that will determine Fulham's fortunes...

Mitrovic
The Whites have relied on the Serbian to step up and win them games throughout the campaign so far so do not expect that to change in the final matches.

He is the league's top goalscorer with 23 goals so far this season and would be a key part of any team in the second-tier, in fairness to Fulham and their over-reliance on him.

In fact, he has scored just under half of their goals this season and if that form can continue then they will undoubtedly have a much better chance of achieving their goals. If he picks up an injury, however, it could be fatal.

A good run-in
On paper, this may not look like the case, given that they are having to play Brentford, Leeds, Nottingham Forest and West Brom all before the end of the campaign – four of the toughest matches they could ask for.

However, these matches always seem to bring the best out of Parker's side, losing just three times to those currently in the top-six so far this season.

It also means that their fate remains largely in their hands. Win these matches and they will give themselves an excellent chance of promotion.

The form of others
That is not to say that other matches do not matter. Whilst they will have the chance to gain ground on both Leeds and West Brom in head to head games, beating both will not be enough on its own to break into the top-two.

Leeds have the easiest run-in of the pack with just one match against the current top-six (Fulham) between now and the end of the season.

West Brom come up against two in Brentford and The Whites, meaning Fulham could well be banking on some upsets in the coming weeks to help reignite their promotion push.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-factors-that-will-determine-fulhams-fortunes-in-season-run-in-thoughts/

WhiteJC

Omogbehin's Charlton Reaction

Fulham Under-23s progressed to the Premier League Cup quarter-finals on Monday and joint Head Coach Colin Omogbehin was delighted with the fight and spirit his side showed against Charlton Athletic at The Valley.

The Young Whites went into the break 1-0 down and lacked creativity in the final third against a resilient Charlton defence.

"I thought we started a little slow," Omogbehin said. "I'm not sure whether that was something to do with the pitch being a little dry. Our passing wasn't slick enough and we weren't moving the ball fast enough or with any intensity.

"It allowed Charlton to get back in shape and close us down. They came with a game plan, to be on the front foot and make us rush our passes."

The tide turned after half-time and Omogbehin was pleased with the response his side showed.

"Once we got into the boys, we dominated and should have maybe had the game wrapped up in the second half with the chances we created. The message at half-time was to keep getting down the sides of them and keep getting runs in behind."

He continued: "The switch of play started to work for us and we knew eventually we'd get our reward. Fabio [Carvalho] got down the side and Martell [Taylor-Crossdale] got in behind and scored."

The Under-23s struggled for large periods earlier in the season, picking up zero points in six games in January but Omogbehin is delighted with how his players have turned it around.

"I've said to them that this is the character of the group. I think a few games ago we'd have lost that one. Right now, we've got some wonderful players who are also wonderful characters. In those moments, when weren't getting our own way, we didn't go under. We stuck at it and worked hard."

The game very much looked to be heading for penalties until midfielder Matt O'Riley stepped up to calmly convert from the spot in the 118th minute. Rather than letting the pressure get to him, he simply embraced it.

"I like those situations," O'Riley stated. "It's good to put yourself in those positions, especially if I hopefully play First Team matches. When there's a lot of fans watching, that's when you really want to be doing it so it's good to test myself."

O'Riley added: "When Martell got the late goal, I think the momentum shifted and we definitely felt that as a team. Come extra-time we knew we'd win the game. Even at 1-0 down, heads didn't drop, everyone still felt good."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/11/colin-omogbehin-matt-o-riley-charlton-reaction

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Brentford - prediction, team news, lineups

West London rivals Fulham and Brentford face off at Craven Cottage on Friday night in a huge match at the top of the Championship.

Just one place separates the sides ahead of this derby showdown, but Fulham boast a four-point advantage on their near neighbours.

Match preview
It is third-placed Fulham who are better placed to gatecrash the top two as we enter the final stretch of the Championship campaign.

The Cottagers battled to a 1-1 draw at Bristol City last weekend through a late Tom Cairney strike to make it four games without defeat.

Scott Parker's men have won four of their last five home league matches, including back-to-back victories over Swansea City and Preston North End since a shock 3-0 loss to Barnsley.

However, Fulham have won just one of their last 18 home games against Brentford in all competitions - a 1-0 victory back in April 1990.

Brentford were also victorious in the reverse fixture three months ago - Bryan Mbeumo scoring the only goal at Griffin Park - and are looking to complete a league double over Fulham for the first time since 2014-15.

Thomas Frank's side saw their automatic promotion hopes derailed when going five games without a win, a run that was ended in style last weekend with a 5-0 home triumph against Sheffield Wednesday.

The Bees now face Fulham and West Bromwich Albion, the two sides directly above them, in what will be a crucial and potentially defining week in their campaign.

Not only can Brentford strengthen their promotion dream with victory at Craven Cottage on Friday, they can also strike a possibly fatal blow to Fulham's own hopes of a top-two finish.

Fulham's Championship form: DLDWWD

Brentford's Championship form: DDDLDW

Team News
Maxime Le Marchand, Terence Kongolo, Alfie Mawson and Joe Bryan all remain absent for Fulham, leaving Parker short of options at the back.

Josh Onomah has missed the past month with a knee injury and is still another fortnight away from making a full recovery.

The Championship's leading goalscorer Aleksandar Mitrovic has won more points with his goals than any other player in the competition in 2019-20.

Mitrovic will be the first name on the teamsheet and Parker may well opt for the same XI that started against Bristol City last week.

That may also be the case for the visitors following their impressive display against Wednesday last time out.

Josh Dasilva was on target twice in that comfortable win and appears nailed on to retain his central-midfield berth, with Christian Norgaard and Emiliano Marcondes alongside him.

Shandon Baptiste is back in contention after returning to the squad last week, while Pontus Jansson is also closing in one a first-team comeback.

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Ream, Odoi; Arter, Cairney; Kamara, Reid, Cavaleiro; Mitrovic

Brentford possible starting lineup:
Martin; Dalsgaard, Pinnock, Jeanvier, Henry; Marcondes, Norgaard, Dasilva; Mbeumo, Watkins, Benrahma

We say: Fulham 1-1 Brentford

Brentford looked impressive in brushing aside Sheffield Wednesday last weekend, but they have won just two of their last 10 away games in the Championship, drawing four of those. Fulham have also won just two of their last six matches, so we are predicting this one to finish all square.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/championship-promotion-race/preview/preview-fulham-vs-brentford-prediction-team-news-lineups_392552.html

WhiteJC

Get £20 Off 2019/20 Home Shirts!

Fulham fans can now save on both adult and junior shirts with £20 off 2019/20 Home shirts from today!

With adult home shirts now available for £35 and junior shirts just £25, now is the perfect time to be kitted out for the run in with plenty of crucial fixtures ahead.

Our youngest supporters can also save with a £15 reduction on the 2019/20 Home MiniKit, now priced at just £30.

Don't miss out - pick up your home shirt from the Stadium Store or shop online today!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/11/save-on-home-shirts-in-march

WhiteJC

Preston North End are entering the 'business end' of the Championship play-off race
Being down to single figures of matches it is right to assume that the 'business end' of the Championship season is upon us.

It could well be a strange countdown to the end of the campaign due to coronavirus, with plenty of uncertainty regarding the possibility of games being played behind closed doors or even delayed.

Just for the moment though, let's have a look at how things are unfolding in the Championship play-off race.

Preston North End are in the thick of it, among 10 clubs outside of the top two who have designs on the four play-off slots.

Top two Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion look to be pulling away in their quest to secure the automatic promotion places.

Leeds are seven points clear of third place on the back of five straight wins, with Albion six clear.

They are still catch-able with nine games to go but it would take a wobble from both and some top form below them to alter the state of play.

However, we are talking about the Championship, a division which has been unpredictable all season.

The unpredictability of the play-off race and the excitement is added to by the fact all the teams in the mix have rivals to play.

Looking at North End, they have Cardiff, Derby, Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Bristol City to play in the current top 12.

Third-place Fulham's next two games are against Brentford and Leeds. Then next month they play Forest, Cardiff and West Bromwich Albion in successive games.

After Brentford have faced Fulham on Friday night, they then have to tackle the Baggies.

Then later in the season they have Derby to play.

Bristol City have Blackburn, Forest, Cardiff and Swansea to play, before North End visit Ashton Gate on the final afternoon of the campaign.

There is a similar pattern throughout the pack, with the teams taking points off one another over the next eight weeks.

Much has been made of the current form of the teams in

play-off contention.

North End have lost four of their last five games but have still held on to sixth spot.

Bristol City, a point and place behind them, have gone five games without a win.

Fifth-placed Forest have won two of their last eight games and were beaten 3-0 at the City Ground by Millwall last Friday night.

Brentford's 5-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday came after they had drawn four and lost one of their previous five games.

Fulham have started to pick up again with wins over Swansea and North End, together with a 1-1 draw at Bristol City.

Before that run they had drawn twice and lost 3-0 at Craven Cottage against strugglers Barnsley.

Millwall's win in front of the cameras at Forest caught the eye and they looked a well-organised side when they came to Deepdale and won last month.

Those are the Lions' only two victories in the last nine league games, although there have been draws with Fulham and Bristol City in that run.

Blackburn are without a win in four games, strong form in January and February having lifted them to within sight of the top six.

Had they gone to Derby and won last Sunday, Rovers would have jumped above PNE into sixth.

As it was, they lost 3-0 to the Rams at Pride Park.

North End are nearly three weeks on from their last victory, a 2-1 success against Hull at Deepdale.

They had to come from behind to win that, Paul Gallagher's penalty and a header from Alan Browne earning three points.

Although 'must-win' is not a term to apply in a mathematical sense with 27 points still to play for, just for confidence and belief the trip to Luton on Saturday carries that tag.

If their poor run is to extend, someone is going to take advantage and put themselves in a stronger position than Alex Neil's men to secure a top-six slot.

In the last two seasons North End have been the chaser in terms of trying to reach the play-offs.

Two years ago they got to within touching distance and took their challenge until the last day.

This time last season, PNE beat Birmingham with a stoppage-time header from Sean Maguire to go seventh in the table.

They were on 57 points, only goal difference keeping Aston Villa in sixth place above them.

In the final eight games they took only four points and slipped back to 14th.

This time they have the advantage of being in the top six – and have been for much of the season – so have to make that count.

Luton need the points at the other end of the table so North End are going to be in for a battle at Kenilworth Road, a venue they last visited in 2006.

It is the first of three big games leading into the international break.

Whatever happens on and off the pitch, these are interesting times.

Be prepared for plenty of twists and turns.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/preston-north-end-are-entering-business-end-championship-play-race-2446708

WhiteJC

Tickets: Extra seats released for Fulham

Tickets available in lower away section for home fans.

Home supporters will be able to purchase seats in the West Stand lower away section for our Sky Bet Championship fixture against Fulham on Wednesday 18th March 2020 (7:45pm).

2019/20 Gold Members and Season Ticket Holders can purchase up to one ticket from 9am on Thursday 12th March, online, via the Call Centre, or in person at the West Stand Ticket Office.

The entrance for those who purchase seats in this section is located at Howard's Bar, near the top of the West Stand car park, where two separate entry points have been created for both the away supporters and home supporters.

The area is restricted to Members and Season Ticket Holders only and please note, due to the location of the seats, standing is not permitted and supporters must remain seated at all times during the match.

This arrangement is purely dependent on the fixture in hand with the club taking the decision to make more seats available where possible due to the huge demand from home fans for tickets. There are a number of occasions when the away supporters will only fill the top tier in the West Stand away section meaning hundreds of seats are then left unsold and unfilled.

This configuration has meant that more supporters have had the chance to buy tickets this season, helping us to pack the stands out at every match and in turn help to further improve the electric atmosphere at the stadium, making Elland Road a fortress.

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/ticketing/26375/tickets-extra-seats-released-for-fulham

WhiteJC

Promising attacker delivers verdict on Fulham's promotion chances

Young Fulham striker Martell Taylor-Crossdale has delivered his verdict on the club's promotion ambitions as we enter the final nine matches of the 2019/20 season.

Fulham currently sit in third with six points separating them from second-placed West Brom although Scott Parker's side will have the chance to play both The Baggies and league-leaders Leeds United before the end of the campaign.

And Taylor-Crossdale sees no reason why they cannot return to the promised land in May.

"We definitely belong in the Premier League," he said in a recent interview with Goal.

"The way we play would suit the Premier League so much.

"We pass the ball so well and when we get the chance, we are deadly. There is no reason why this squad can't get promoted and stay in the Premier League."

Taylor-Crossdale made the move across West London from Chelsea during the January transfer window, turning down a move to Germany with Hoffenheim in the process.

So far, he has been largely limited to under-23 action but was handed his first-team debut towards the end of their League Cup clash with Southampton at Craven Cottage back in August.

With the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored 23 goals already this season, and Bobby Decordova-Reid in front of him in the first-team picture, it was always unlikely that the 20-year-old would establish himself straight away.

The verdict

It is great to see a young striker so passionate about his club, especially when he is yet to really be given a chance of his own.

However, can you imagine working with Aleksandar Mitrovic in training every day? That is something that should excite any young striker making his way in the game and it will undoubtedly hold Taylor-Crossdale in very good stead.

Next pre-season will be a crucial one for him, especially if the club remain in the Championship, as there could be a Mitrovic-shaped gap to fill.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/promising-attacker-delivers-verdict-on-fulhams-promotion-chances/

WhiteJC

'It's not behind closed doors'- These Leeds United fans tear into Fulham following club update

Leeds United have one of the biggest fanbases in the EFL, so when Fulham failed to sell out their allocation for the promotion six-pointer at Elland Road next week, their fans responded in their droves.

Leeds are a very well supported club and are very well followed around the country whether home or away. So when a side fails to keep up to their incredibly high standards, their supporters will have something to say about it; many teams across the Sky Bet Championship have benefited in recent years from Leeds fans often selling out on the road.

The game next Wednesday is absolutely crucial for both sides. Should Leeds United win, they could go ten points clear of Fulham and with just a handful of games left to play, it would take a miracle for Fulham to catch Marcelo Bielsa's men.

Leeds will be looking to avenge their visitors for the defeat they inflicted on them back in December – Aleksandar Mitrovic put the Cottagers ahead just seven minutes in but Patrick Bamford levelled with a strike of his own. Josh Onomah struck the final blow with just 20 minutes left to play.

The Yorkshire side will definitely have an advantage this time around with the extra unsold Fulham seats now being allocated to Leeds supporters.

Elland Road can be a difficult ground to visit at the best of times, but with an extra sell-out crowd under the lights, it will be very difficult for Fulham to get anything out of the game.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/its-not-behind-closed-doors-these-leeds-united-fans-tear-into-fulham-following-club-update/

WhiteJC

West Brom, Leeds, Brentford: Fulham's run-in looks like a daunting one but here is why that could be a good thing: Comment

Other than perhaps Leeds United, no side has been held to higher standards in the Championship this season by their own fans than Scott Parker's Fulham.

During the summer, the Whites recruited very impressively. Aleksandar Mitrovic penned a new long-term contract, whilst Anthony Knockaert, Ivan Cavaleiro and Bobby Decordova-Reid all joined him at Craven Cottage to bolster their front-line.

Many had them down as favourites to win promotion and it was easy to see why.

But with nine matches of the season remaining, they are an outside bet to go up automatically. Leeds and West Brom sit inside the automatic promotion places with Fulham needing to make up a six-point gap in their remaining matches.

Their run-in is a daunting one, too.

In the coming weeks, they face clashes with both The Whites and The Baggies as well as with fourth-placed Brentford, play-off chasing Nottingham Forest and an in-form Cardiff City too.

Leeds, on the other hand, face just one of the top-six between now and the end of the season and that side is Fulham, whilst Preston and Parker's side are the only worrying tasks facing Salven Bilic's men.

But this could well work in Fulham's favour.

Of course, it is always nice to have other sides helping you out but having your fate in your own hands seems like it will suit Fulham down to the ground. It takes away variables which would have the possibility of distracting the players and staff.

Beat both Leeds and West Brom and their push for automatic promotion will be well and truly on. See off Brentford and Nottingham Forest and they will go into the play-offs with the wind in their sales.

It is Marcelo Bielsa and Bilic's men who are going to be far more preoccupied with goings-on elsewhere, perhaps more so than their own games at times such is the calibre of their opponents, whilst Fulham will know that they hold their fate in their own hands and cannot afford to lose their focus.

With such big matches in the offing, motivation should be no obstacle for Parker.

It is hard to believe that Leeds and West Brom will not both drop points before the end of the season, just as it is with Fulham, in fairness.

But Fulham's own run of fixtures should at least mean they retain their focus. At times this season, most notably against Barnsley in February, they have lost been too nonchalant going into matches with weaker sides.

With clashes against Leeds, West Brom, Brentford and Forest still to come, this should not be an issue at all, whereas it still could be for their promotion rivals.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-brom-leeds-brentford-fulhams-run-in-looks-like-a-daunting-one-but-here-is-why-that-could-be-a-good-thing-comment/

WhiteJC

ICYMI: The 3 biggest Fulham stories so far this week

There are nine games remaining in the Championship this season and Fulham have their work cut out if they hope to make it into the automatic promotion places in time.

They currently sit in third, six points behind second-placed West Brom, although some big matches coming up against both the Baggies and table-toppers Leeds United could change the picture dramatically.

In the build-up to there big clash with Brentford on Friday night, we take a look at the THREE biggest Fulham stories from the week so far...

Onomah update
The midfielder shared a snap message with fans as he continued his spell on the sidelines with injury.

The summer signing from Spurs has played 23 times for the Whites so far this season but has been missing from action since the clash with Barnsley after undergoing knee surgery, and is not expected to be back until April.

On Monday, however, he took to Instagram to share a message, writing alongside a picture of himself at Craven Cottage: "Miss being on that pitch 🥺".

Hinchcliffe delivers verdict
The Sky Sports pundit was speaking on the broadcaster's EFL Podcast, with the topic of automatic promotion in the Championship high on the agenda.

Whilst he admitted to being impressed with the Whites, he also said that he cannot see them catching both Leeds United and West Brom over the next nine games, saying that the consistency of those two will see them up.

However, he did admit that the Fulham side who were promoted under Slavisa Jokanovic was a better team than the one current at Scott Parker's disposal.

Striker delivers his verdict
Someone who does not agree with the pundit's viewpoint, however, is young striker Martell Taylor-Crossdale, who was speaking to Goal about his move from Chelsea in the summer as well as Fulham's chances of promotion.

The 20-year-old has only made one first-team appearance so far this season and he is still confident that they can win promotion come May, insisting that they are too good for the Championship.

There are nine games remaining for the youngster to be proven right and he will surely be hoping his chance will come in that time.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/icymi-the-3-biggest-fulham-stories-so-far-this-week/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United, Fulham Battling Bundesliga Clubs For Nigeria International

Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins is attracting interest from English Premier League clubs, according to reports.

Transfermarkt.com claims Newcastle United and Fulham are mulling over a summer move for the Paderborn defender but face competition from German Bundesliga clubs.

Mainz 05, Schalke 04 and Hertha Berlin have also been credited with an interest in the former Rijeka star.

Collins' career has been on the upward trajectory in the last few years and saw his market value rise to three million euros in December 2019.

He was playing in the third tier for Paderborn two years ago, before earning back-to-back promotions with the North Rhine-Westphalia club and has become an established international, appearing in thirteen matches since his debut.

Collins is contracted to Paderborn until the end of the 2020-2021 season and the Bundesliga club could cash in on the defender in the summer if he does not sign a new deal.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=35563

WhiteJC

Fulham interested in Huddersfield striker Grant

Fulham are interested in signing Huddersfield forward Karlan Grant this summer.

Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion are also interested in the 22-year-old, who scored four Premier League goals last season before Huddersfield's relegation and has netted 16 times this term.

Brentford, then managed by Villa boss Dean Smith, wanted to sign Grant in January 2019, when he was at Charlton.

In the end he was snapped up by Huddersfield for an undisclosed fee. Grant is under contract at the Yorkshire club until 2022.

Now Fulham are looking to bring Londoner Grant back to the capital when the transfer window reopens – regardless of which division the club are in.

Like West Brom, Fulham are in the thick of the promotion race. Albion are currently second in the Championship table, six points clear of the Whites.

Scott Parker's side will be looking to cut that gap to three points when they face Brentford in Friday's derby at Craven Cottage.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-was-huddersfield-town-karlan-grant-aston-villa-west-brom-110320

WhiteJC

Fulham youngster reflects on decision to leave Chelsea during the summer transfer window

Young striker Martell Taylor-Crossdale has opened up about his departure from Chelsea this summer and the decision to join Fulham, rather than take up an offer in Germany.

His contract at Stamford Bridge expired in the summer of 2019 and says the challenge and structure at Craven Cottage was a big factor in his decision to pick Fulham over other options available to him.

However, he has admitted that he has so far struggled to maintain the necessary levels to stick in Scott Parker's mind.

"When I chose Fulham, I was just looking for a pathway that was structured and with a plan," Taylor-Crossdale told Goal in a recent interview.

"I wanted to go somewhere where the team was good and it would be a challenge for me.

"That's something that I looked for when I left Chelsea, nothing more. I would say so far it has been challenging and up and down really. It started off well and I was with the first team and getting opportunities.

"I was training with them for a couple of months. I managed to make the bench and I was travelling. That was all good but then I got put back down to the Under-23s. That's been a challenge for me to maintain the levels that I need to."

Taylor-Crossdale made the move across West London from Chelsea during the January transfer window, turning down a move to Germany with Hoffenheim in the process.

So far, he has been largely limited to under-23 action but was handed his first-team debut towards the end of their League Cup clash with Southampton at Craven Cottage back in August.

With the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored 23 goals already this season, and Bobby Decordova-Reid in front of him in the first-team picture, it was always unlikely that the 20-year-old would establish himself straight away.

The verdict

At 20-years-old this feels like it could well be a very important season in the career of the youngster.

He will be disappointed to have not challenged the first-team more throughout the campaign after a promising start but how he uses this experience could prove crucial in determining the sort of career he goes on to have.

He could let it completely dishearten him, leading his footballing life to nose-dive somewhat. Or he could look back at it, analyse what has happened, and figure out how to improve himself and take his game to the next level.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-youngster-reflects-on-decision-to-leave-chelsea-during-the-summer-transfer-window/

WhiteJC

Leeds United's Marcelo Bielsa up against Slaven Bilic, Scott Parker and Paul Cook for award
Marcelo Bielsa is up against his fellow Championship top three managers and Wigan Athletic's Paul Cook for February's Championship Manager of the Month award.

Leeds United began the month with two defeats, including a shock 1-0 loss at home to Wigan Athletic and another disappointing result at Nottingham Forest.

But Bielsa's men bounced back, holding fellow promotion hopefuls Brentford to a 1-1 draw at Griffin Park before embarking on a winning run that has extended into the month of March.

The Whites are now six games unbeaten and have won their last five without conceding a single goal.

Bielsa's February record has earned a nomination for Manager of the Month, along with West Brom boss Slaven Bilic, Fulham's Scott Parker and Cook.

A spokesperson for award sponsor Sky Bet said Bielsa taking responsibility for the side's poor run of form had been an inspirational catalyst for Leeds.

"With his side sliding towards a repeat of last season's collapse, Bielsa astutely took the pressure off his players by blaming himself and inspired an upturn in form which brought four straight wins and 13 points from seven games," said a spokesperson.

Bilic, meanwhile took 16 points from seven games and saw his side score 13 goals in the process, after an inconsistent December and January.

Cook's Wigan beat both of the top two sides, following their Elland Road victory with a 1-0 victory at the end of the month. In between, they drew with Middlesbrough and Cardiff and beat Millwall and Reading.

And Parker's Fulham took 14 points from seven games, losing only once to strugglers Barnsley.

The award judging panel includes former Sheffield Wednesday and Chesterfield manager Danny Wilson, Sky Sports' EFL pundit Don Goodman, EFL communications director Mark

Rowan and Sky Bet EFL trader Ivor Davies.

The winner will be announced on Friday morning at 6am.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-uniteds-marcelo-bielsa-against-slaven-bilic-scott-parker-and-paul-cook-award-2447290