watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Now here’s the question

Started by Peabody, March 13, 2020, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

My guess is that this season is over, even though they have given a restart date of April 3rd. So, what should happen?

Should this season be written off?

Should the top two (of each league) be promoted and the bottom two be relegated?

Should football continue behind closed doors?

Or is there another format be found?

Fernhurst

Good question Mr P ........ Surely we should keep to the formula - 3 up and 3 down..... announced tomorrow. 

The logistics of finishing this season are impossible.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

RAF_Fulham

Quote from: Fernhurst on March 13, 2020, 04:06:40 PM
Good question Mr P ........ Surely we should keep to the formula - 3 up and 3 down..... announced tomorrow. 

How would you feel if you were in the Play-Offs, with a fair chance of promotion, to then be told 3rd would be promoted? It wouldn't wash.

Automatic places only I would imagine is the best solution, unfortunately.

Sting of the North

Quote from: RAF_Fulham on March 13, 2020, 04:10:14 PM

How would you feel if you were in the Play-Offs, with a fair chance of promotion, to then be told 3rd would be promoted? It wouldn't wash.

Wouldn't the exact same logic apply for a team that is currently third with a real chance of finishing top 2? Or for a team that is seventh currently only behind on goal difference?

Andy S

And what about the relegated clubs? I think the best way is to say you cannot complete the season so everything stays the same and we start again in August as long as the virus allows. Or maybe it will be decided on penalties

The Rock

Top 3 go up and bottom 3 down.

Would be nice for us, but taking that when the Coronavirus ends it will likely petter out, not just stop. Finishing the fixtures this season over a longer period of time as the world gets back to normal is something that I could see happening.

fulhamben

Quote from: RAF_Fulham on March 13, 2020, 04:10:14 PM

sadly I agree with this.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Sting of the North

The lack of logic in these threads is confusing. Maybe I am missing something, but why is either option more fair here? At least all teams currently with a decent chance of promotion, be it through playoffs or automatic would surely disagree with these half baked proposals?

Mince n Tatties

With the money at stake in Premier league, there is no way they are going to relegate the bottom three sides at moment as you don't know what would happen,its unfair,and those clubs would likely go to court for millions of compensation.

Roberty

A suggestion I saw somewhere - was to move the European Nations Cup to next summer and finish this season during June and Early July
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Whitesideup

Quote from: Roberty on March 14, 2020, 12:48:35 PM
A suggestion I saw somewhere - was to move the European Nations Cup to next summer and finish this season during June and Early July
Sounds logical and fair. Would also help the clubs replace the lost revenue.  There may be some clubs that don't have rich owners, that may struggle with a loss of some 20% of revenue for the year.

Skatzoffc

I think they'll try to finish the season.
But the idea it well restart in April wont happen imo.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Sgt Fulham

Top 3 up and bottom 3 down is the only fair solution to me. It's fair because Fulham would go up, Brentford would stay down, and Villa would keep them company.

I Ronic

England's chief medical officer, Professor Chris Whitty, said the peak of the UK outbreak is most likely still 10 to 14 weeks away..
I dont think the FA will make a decision until we're  in a position to start playing football again. The only absolutely fair way would be to resume the season when possible and delay the start of next season until this one is over. The fixture list for the  20 21 season could be slightly compressed. That season will over run but not as badly as this one will. Then on and on till we're back in sync.

Luka

just isolate all teams and players for 4 weeks to ensure most are clear then finish the season behind closed doors.
Then it's just about ability and the best teams win.
It's fair, it's safe and there is no ambiguity.

Texas White

Yes it won't be April for sure. Maybe closed door games June/July if were lucky

Seano

Quote from: Luka on March 14, 2020, 03:30:42 PM
just isolate all teams and players for 4 weeks to ensure most are clear then finish the season behind closed doors.

Is that all ? Isolate all the players/coaches for 4 weeks, and then a further 8 weeks to finish the games, so no contact with anybody for 3 months, including partners and kids, or are they in isolation too ? 1,000s of people in isloation so we can watch some football. I'm not sure you've thought this one through.

Luka

Quote from: Seano on March 14, 2020, 04:12:40 PM
Quote from: Luka on March 14, 2020, 03:30:42 PM

Is that all ? Isolate all the players/coaches for 4 weeks, and then a further 8 weeks to finish the games, so no contact with anybody for 3 months, including partners and kids, or are they in isolation too ? 1,000s of people in isloation so we can watch some football. I'm not sure you've thought this one through.

For people on 3-250k  a week is it that too much to ask?
These are exceptional circumstances with people on exceptional wages.
Time to give something back ?