News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Worst case Fulham scenario, could this happen ?

Started by Riversider, March 16, 2020, 10:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Just putting this out there as a topic of debate,  as it was something on my mind yesterday, the world is currently changing because of the Corona virus,  changing like it's never changed before, I work in the airline industry, there literally may not be one in a couple of months with countries going in to lock down and planes being grounded, millions of people world wide will lose their jobs,
How many new cars are rolling off the production line at the moment ? , some, but not as many, and those that do how many are getting sold ? Who really fancies going out today to look at new cars , anyone ?
So then, is there a chance , no matter how slim, that The Riverside Stand could be mothballed for a couple of years ? They are saying today that the virus could continue right through to spring 2021, as a business man Shahid Khan may decide to cut his costs and protect his income , who could blame him, it must be costing a fortune at the moment to pay the likes of Cairney and Mitrovic etc with no income coming in whatsoever,
At these unprecedented times we are extremely lucky to have Shahid Khan as our owner, football clubs will undoubtedly fold over these next six months as debt rises, take QPR for example, Tony Fernandes was already being investigated over his dealings with Airbus and I certainly don't see his airline, Air Asia going on for much longer, I would much rather be in our position than theirs but I wouldn't blame Mr Khan if he chooses if he wants to cut costs to help us through this mess, if he foes decide to carry on then wow, there aren't many sets of supporters as lucky as ours,
Knowing how shrewd Shahid Khan is he's probably already looking at halting production of cars and instead will shortly be producing ventilator' s.

SuffolkWhite

thankfully we have the prem payment for another year!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

fulhamben

Worst case scenario is that we are given promotion and Parker gets a 10 year contract.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Robbie

WhiteJC

I thought Tony Fernandes sold QPR some time ago?

fulhamben

Quote from: whitejc on March 16, 2020, 11:10:03 AM
I thought Tony Fernandes sold QPR some time ago?
the mittals pulled out ages ago, they were the money behind it. Tony is stuck with it
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: fulhamben on March 16, 2020, 10:44:15 AM
Worst case scenario is that we are given promotion and Parker gets a 10 year contract.

064.gif That made me laugh, in all that's going on and the worry over SP rises again. Quality  064.gif
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Andy S

Let's wait and see. All business will suffer the longer this goes on. As for swapping car making for ventilators what a joke it would take months to do and a lot of parts come from abroad. As we are out of Europe we will be bottom of the list for them

Riversider

Quote from: Andy S on March 16, 2020, 11:59:25 AM
Let's wait and see. All business will suffer the longer this goes on. As for swapping car making for ventilators what a joke it would take months to do and a lot of parts come from abroad. As we are out of Europe we will be bottom of the list for them

Why is it a joke, haven't JCB and other manufacturers been asked to look at ways of production, or did I imagine that,
It was said tongue in cheek but the point being made was that Shahid won't be needing his factories for Car bumpers very soon.

Bill2

When it comes round to it every nation will drop into a protectionism role and any products manufactured will stayin the country of origin irrespective of in EU or not.

MikeW

Quote from: Riversider on March 16, 2020, 03:25:54 PM

Why is it a joke, haven't JCB and other manufacturers been asked to look at ways of production, or did I imagine that,
It was said tongue in cheek but the point being made was that Shahid won't be needing his factories for Car bumpers very soon.

I think he's pretty fireproof.  You need bumpers/fenders on electric, hybrid, diesel and petrol cars, especially if my missus is driving!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Riverside

Khan apparently has never sold a business
And he has v deep pockets

I think we are very well placed and others will be falling around us

filham

We really can't predict  what is going to happen, the car and aircraft industries could all but disappear , everyone could become poorer, there could be less travel, less ready meals, less money to spend and modern civilisation could be forced back some fifty or sixty years.
That of course would mean lower carbon emissions, lower wages for top footballers, less waste, more eqaulity among football clubs. It could become a better world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Riversider on March 16, 2020, 03:25:54 PM

Not too certain how much the US car industry is suffering as yet, considering that light coloured house we know of denies anything is happening and we have it beat anyways, plus the feds have just dropped the rate to <=.25% and looking downwards, so he might not wish to retool for the ventilator market, given that it would be a (relatively) short term adventure for him at a cost he might not wish to live with, I would suspect.

Quote from: Riverside on March 16, 2020, 05:36:05 PM
Khan apparently has never sold a business
And he has v deep pockets

I think we are very well placed and others will be falling around us

This indicates, fortunately for us Fulham Fans, that he tends to buy what he wants to invest long term in, and that was the impression I got when he was in FLA that first time.

All that, together with the deep pockets thoughts, does tend to bode well for us, but I hate to feel smug regarding other teams' chances of survival, as that would be tempting Fulhamish Fate I feel.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Statto

I think those companies being asked to retool and make ventilators are expected to (and I expect many will) do so for free, out of compassion, rather than seeing it as an opportunity to make some money

gang

Quote from: Statto on March 16, 2020, 08:28:37 PM
I think those companies being asked to retool and make ventilators are expected to (and I expect many will) do so for free, out of compassion, rather than seeing it as an opportunity to make some money

Really?

Andy S

The logistics of setting up a company to make these things is way off. 1 A lot of parts come from abroad., everyone wants them 2 we've left the  EU we are back of the queue 3 we have nobody in the country with the expertise so it would take months to set up.

toshes mate

If other clubs fail that will have a knock-on effect on the clubs that remain who will not be functioning professional football outfits without an audience and will be more and more heavily in debt the longer the virus holds sway.  The owners of businesses suffering lack of sales and movement of stock will also see their incomes dive and balance sheets become precarious as assets also lose value.  Perhaps some in our many and varied societies will wake up to the idea that you have to invest heavily in many things that do not make any money at all just to ensure that the things that can make money have a chance to thrive and multiply.   Perhaps this virus is a wake up call about a need to be less selfish and more egalitarian in all things and concentrate on infrastructures that actually help the people in civilisations to be more spread around locally and less concentrated and confined to large complexes etc for their needs. 

davew

Quote from: fulhamben on March 16, 2020, 10:44:15 AM
LOL
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

YankeeJim

All these predictions that this thing will run until late summer or even next year seems silly to me. The thing peaked in China in about three months. No reason to believe that it wont do the same in the west. On this side of the pond they are shutting everything down. Restaurants can only serve take out and all bars are closed. No gatherings of more than ten people. Churches and schools are closed and businesses are curtailing hours of operation if not closing out right. I don't see the need to go out and but new drawers or a coffee pot. Welcome to 1890!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.