more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Golf

Started by davew, March 21, 2020, 07:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Quote from: bobbo on March 25, 2020, 11:48:34 AM
It'll be a housing estate when you go back. They're sneaky these golf clubs.
LOL, only if they can get the building materials.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Bill2

Quote from: davew on March 26, 2020, 08:18:48 AM
Quote from: kiwian on March 26, 2020, 07:30:54 AM
Courses now closed so practise putting on the carpet, you'll save a fortune on air fares
I have wooden floors!
They could be a bit pacey with a high reading on the stimp meter. Could be useful when playing at Augusta. You might have guessed my course is closed and the weather has been brilliant for golf, even the way I play.

Holders

Dave, are you seriously considering travelling abroad - or anywhere at the moment? If we want to keep people out of Devon/Cornwall to reduce risk of contagion, surely it wouldn't be right to expose yourself to the mix of people you get at an airport or the recycled air on an aeroplane?

It amazes me that the overhead signs on the motorways into Scotland, Wales and the West Country aren't saying "go home" like they were used so freely for Brexit message purposes and there are still grockel hutches on the roads.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

davew

Quote from: Holders on March 26, 2020, 09:48:14 AM
Dave, are you seriously considering travelling abroad - or anywhere at the moment? If we want to keep people out of Devon/Cornwall to reduce risk of contagion, surely it wouldn't be right to expose yourself to the mix of people you get at an airport or the recycled air on an aeroplane?

It amazes me that the overhead signs on the motorways into Scotland, Wales and the West Country aren't saying "go home" like they were used so freely for Brexit message purposes and there are still grockel hutches on the roads.

Holders of course I am not, unless there is an uninhabited island with an 18 hole golf course somewhere. I agree with your comment about telling people to go home! Stay safe!

davew

Quote from: Bill2 on March 26, 2020, 09:23:13 AM
Quote from: davew on March 26, 2020, 08:18:48 AM
Quote from: kiwian on March 26, 2020, 07:30:54 AM
Courses now closed so practise putting on the carpet, you'll save a fortune on air fares
I have wooden floors!
They could be a bit pacey with a high reading on the stimp meter. Could be useful when playing at Augusta. You might have guessed my course is closed and the weather has been brilliant for golf, even the way I play.
I have more chance of winning the lottery than playing at Augusta!

Holders

Quote from: davew on March 26, 2020, 11:51:41 AM
Quote from: Holders on March 26, 2020, 09:48:14 AM

Holders of course I am not, unless there is an uninhabited island with an 18 hole golf course somewhere. I agree with your comment about telling people to go home! Stay safe!

You too, Dave, if anywhere's safe at the moment. The pictures of people travelling on the tube are horrifying. It does seem to have got a bit quieter here in Devon the last couple of days but on the first day of the "lockdown" you'd hardly have known the difference - so many people with essential business! What's it like your way?

davew

I live on the outskirt of Launceston so don´t see a lot of what is going on, but from recent visits to the supermarkets in the town, it is eeriry quiet! Not sure why all the takeaways have shut down as they are still allowed to trade!

Holders

Quote from: davew on March 26, 2020, 12:20:03 PM
I live on the outskirt of Launceston so don´t see a lot of what is going on, but from recent visits to the supermarkets in the town, it is eeriry quiet! Not sure why all the takeaways have shut down as they are still allowed to trade!

I haven't been into town for a few days but last time I was in Homebase and B&Q were both open for DIY muzak wanderers but Travis Perkins, which serves maintenance professionals, wasn't. It does seem a bit inconsistent. 

davew

Quote from: Holders on March 26, 2020, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: davew on March 26, 2020, 12:20:03 PM

I haven't been into town for a few days but last time I was in Homebase and B&Q were both open for DIY muzak wanderers but Travis Perkins, which serves maintenance professionals, wasn't. It does seem a bit inconsistent. 
The whole system is inconsistent and though it might help, it could be better! I went to 3 different supermarkets today (no not to stockpile!), all operating differently, Tesco´s taking the best measures, controlling the number of people in the store at the same time, queuing at safe distances etc. etc, shame that I spent 1/2 half in that queue with my slightly disabled wife (out of self isolation now) only to be told as we approached the entrance that only 1 of us was allowed in the store. We passed at least 6 staff trying to control the queues and nobody said anything about that restriction! As I waited nearly an hour for my wife to exit the store, I watched a family of 5, quite a few couples being allowed into the store, a very, very seriously disabled couple of old women (maybe 80+) turn up and told sorry you need to go the back of the queue, other people bring a teenage child with them and not challenged and more than happy to see NHS workers allowed in and having to avoid the queue. The restrictions (none almost) at Marks and Spencer and Lidl´s were laughable, I think the slogan in Lidl´s of when it is gone it´s gone, should be replaced when you´re gone, you´re gone! Whole morning was stressful!

Holders

My partner works in a village post office/stores and the disregard for the govt's (lightweight) restrictions in there is incredible. The customers are so ignorant and arrogant they think they're immortal.

We've been told to shop just once a week but some of them are in and out of the shop two or three times a day buying lottery tickets and scratchcards. If they win they're back to get the winnings and buy more cards and so on. Others are in several times a day for one box of fags or bottle of brandy/vodka/wine at a time and then back later for another. Yes, they do smoke and drink that much.

A woman from the local council went in yesterday and said "it's working, isn't it, people are taking notice"  - "NO!". She was in just buying one item. Another kid bought a bag of crisps so partner says "see you next week" and he laughed. Another kid said to an assistant that it didn't matter as they were young. She replied that if he gave it to her she could pass it to 300 people a day, some of whom could die and did he have parents or grandparents to think about?

Another kid said that he'd spent the day in the car with his dad touring supermarkets in several neighbouring towns as there was "nothing else to do". Said that they've got a house full of food.

If it appears that those using the London tube are being reckless, it's just as bad in the country in other ways.