Top Ten Players Outside 'The Big 4'

Started by White Noise, February 09, 2010, 11:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://blog.sport.co.uk/Football/595/Top_Ten_Players_outside_the_Big_Four.aspx

Top Ten: Players outside the 'Big Four'

Sam Williams

Posted on: 09 February 2010 - 09:31

By the time the 2010-2011 season begins, the very concept of the Premier League's traditional 'Big Four' may be a thing of the past.

While it remains a foregone conclusion that Chelsea and Manchester United will maintain the status quo by qualifying for next season's Champions League, Liverpool's, and possibly Arsenal's, positions are far from certain.

It seems inevitable that Manchester City will be a 'Big Four' club in the near future, as Sheikh Mansour's billions afford them unrivalled spending power.

However, with Tottenham and Aston Villa also snapping at the heels of the established elite, the 'Big Four' party could be gate crashed sooner rather than later.

But, for now at least, Spurs, City and Villa players are all eligible for selection in this sport.co.uk 'Top Ten' rundown.

So, with a maximum of two players from any one club, and in no particular order, here goes:

1. Shay Given (Goalkeeper, Manchester City):

Never mind just being the best 'keeper outside the 'Big Four', City's Given is arguably the finest stopper in the Premier League bar none.

The 33-year-old is consistency personified, and has taken his customary mantle of being his team's most important player following his move from Newcastle.

The guy spent 12 years at St. James' Park playing behind 'defenders' (and I use the term lightly) such as Jean-Alain Boumsong and Marcelino while still managing to be brilliant.

No goalkeeper should be so regularly subjected to that level of ineptitude, and, for that alone, his place on this list is well-deserved.

2. Tim Cahill (Midfielder, Everton):

Has £2m ever been spent more wisely?

When David Moyes signed Cahill from Millwall in the summer of 2004, it was a reminder of how football used to be.

A promising young footballer plies his trade in the lower leagues, then, after a few years, gets his shot at the big time by earning a move to a top-flight club. Think Ian Rush, John Aldridge and Ian Wright.

The Australian joined Everton at the age of 24 and has now established himself somewhere just below the Gerrard-Lampard-Fabregas bracket of goal-scoring Premier League midfielders.

Not bad for £2m, eh?

3. Maynor Figueroa (Left-back, Wigan):

Unfortunately for Maynor Figueroa, he'll now always be known for that goal.

On December 12th 2009, the Honduran full-back scored what will surely be crowned 'goal of the season' with an outrageous 60-yard free-kick at Stoke's Britannia Stadium.

But the 26-year-old deserves more recognition than that. Since joining Wigan in January 2008, Figueroa has been outstanding.

In fact, after Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra, it's difficult to think of a better left-back in the Premier League.

Figueroa is destined for bigger and better things, and an impressive World Cup this summer would surely hasten his departure from the DW Stadium.

4. Jermain Defoe (Striker, Tottenham):

It's an overused phrase, but 'natural-born goal scorer' is probably the most accurate way to define Jermain Defoe.

After rejoining Tottenham in January 2009 following a year-long spell at Portsmouth, the 27-year-old is finally fulfilling the potential he showed as a youngster at West Ham.

Depending on how you wish to look at it, Defoe is the most selfish/single-minded forward in the country, and his predatory instincts inside the penalty area make him one of the Premier League's most feared marksmen.

Indeed, only Wayne Rooney and Didier Drogba have scored more Premier League goals than Defoe this season. Enough said.

5. James Milner (Midfielder, Aston Villa):

"Milner is a fantastic player - he has improved more than any other player in the squad. He is very like Frank Lampard, younger but with great energy."

And who are we to argue with Fabio Capello?

A sensational season with Aston Villa has catapulted Milner into the 'already on the plane' category with Lampard et al for England's World Cup squad.

The tireless 24-year-old has established himself as a box-to-box midfielder at Villa Park but it is his versatility - he is equally comfortable on either flank- that makes him an invaluable player for both club and country.

6. Mark Schwarzer (Goalkeeper, Fulham):

With a respectful nod to Brad Friedel, Fulham's Schwarzer is the Premier League's second best 'keeper from outside the 'Big Four', behind only Shay Given.

In fact, the 37-year-old's career has many parallels to that of Given, as both gave over a decade's worth of loyal service to a club whose defence often left a lot to be desired (Middlesbrough, in Schwarzer's case) before moving on.

Since moving to Craven Cottage in May 2008, the ever-reliable Schwarzer has played a key role in Roy Hodgson's transformation of the club from perennial strugglers to a Europa League outfit.

7. Carlos Tevez (Striker, Manchester City):

To all intents and purposes, Carlos Tevez is a 'big four' player.

But in a perfect example of how City's new-found wealth has skewered the transfer market, they were able to prise the Argentine striker from neighbours, and champions, Manchester United last summer.

He has endeared himself to the Eastlands faithful in the only way he knows how: with a combination of his prodigious work-rate and plenty of goals.

Tevez won two Premier League titles and one Champions League during his two seasons at Old Trafford. How long before he adds to that haul on the blue side of Manchester?

8. Luka Modric (Midfielder, Tottenham):

The little Croatian schemer has been a revelation for Spurs since joining from Dinamo Zagreb for a club-record £16.5m in 2008.

A technically gifted playmaker who plays anywhere across midfield or in the 'split-striker' role, Modric has adapted seamlessly to the demands of the Premier League.

The 24-year-old's slight stature belies his considerable strength on the ball, and he is arguably the only player on this list who would command a place in all of the 'Big Four's' starting XIs.

According to Harry Redknapp, Modric is Tottenham's only genuinely world-class player. It's hard to disagree with that assessment.

9. Brede Hangeland (Centre-back, Fulham):

Another Roy Hodgson masterstroke.

Hangeland, along with Mark Schwarzer, provides the foundation on which Fulham's recent success has been built.

The Norway captain was reunited with Hodgson, who he had previously played under at Viking Stavanger, in January 2008, and is now widely regarded as one of the best defenders in the Premier League.

After an outstanding first six months in England, it was no surprise to see Hangeland heavily linked with clubs such as Arsenal last summer.

Tall, quick, dominant in the air, reads the game well, superb distribution...what more could you ask for in a top-class centre-back?

10. Stilyan Petrov (Midfielder, Aston Villa):

Ask Martin O'Neill who his most important player is.

Sure, Milner, Agbonlahor and Young are all key players, as they provide the pace and zest that makes Aston Villa one of the finest counter-attacking sides in the country.

But it is their skipper, Stilyan Petrov, who makes them tick. The Bulgarian central midfielder, who also captains his national side, is the heartbeat of O'Neill's team.

His range of passing is superb, and he won both the fans and players' player of the year gongs last year; awards that tell you everything need to know about his importance to his team.

Lighthouse

Nice too see two players there. But it is still a shock to see players form dip so dreadfully. Brede is simply a great centre half. One of our best ever. But this season he has been, in line with many players, simply average. Too many simple mistakes. Even our keeper had a few matches that his form deserted him. BUT Swat them away is still our most consistant player. Except maybe for Hughes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jimpav

Not to sure about Cahill and I would also put a question mark over Brede based on this seasons performance.

Arteta is more skilful than Cahil on his day and Fellani has the potential to be a better player all round.

More to the point Dempsey should be considered on this list.

michaelread

Quote from: Jimpav on February 09, 2010, 11:23:06 AM

Not to sure about Cahill and I would also put a question mark over Brede based on this seasons performance.

Arteta is more skilful than Cahil on his day and Fellani has the potential to be a better player all round.

More to the point Dempsey should be considered on this list.

I know I am a bit biased, being Australian and all, but it also means I get to watch Tim a helluva lot.

In my opinion, hes the best player outside the top 4. You need a goal, Timmy scores it. What more do you want? Such dominance in the air for such a small guy

Jimpav

I should have expected the Aussie backlash when I typed that!

Cahill is a massive player for Everton (and was a solid addition to my dream team last season) and is brilliant in the air but I think he lacks the flair of Arteta.

I hope he has a good world cup for you guys.

ImperialWhite

They forgot about Gerrard and Torres. Boom boom!  ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

White Noise

Given the way this thread has gone I am suprised that Diomansy Kamara has not had a mention!! :'(

finnster01

Zat Knight should surely be right up there...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead