News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: when all this is over, where will you be going on holiday?

Started by SP, March 21, 2020, 08:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Know

Quote from: whitejc on March 22, 2020, 11:21:41 AM
Cornwall
Cornwall for me as well , place called pendeen, between St Ives and Lands End on the north coast road .

Fulham 442

Holders

I was going to the Austrian alps in July but that's not looking very likely so will probably have to defer until next year.

I think for the time being we should all stay in our home areas and not spread the disease around the UK. The long queues of grockel hutches heading into Scotland is irresponsible, as is people with second homes heading to Wales and the West Country where there are fewer hospitals. There's only one in Cornwall, for example. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Nero

Quote from: Holders on March 22, 2020, 12:13:22 PM
I was going to the Austrian alps in July but that's not looking very likely so will probably have to defer until next year.

I think for the time being we should all stay in our home areas and not spread the disease around the UK. The long queues of grockel hutches heading into Scotland is irresponsible, as is people with second homes heading to Wales and the West Country where there are fewer hospitals. There's only one in Cornwall, for example. 

Yep, they should have closed the roads in and out only key workers allowed to travel outside the M25

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Dr Know on March 22, 2020, 11:31:19 AM
Cornwall
Cornwall for me as well , place called pendeen, between St Ives and Lands End on the north coast road .

Some of the best stretches of coastal footpath thereabouts. Get a pasty in St Just and wander down to Cape Cornwall, trumps Lands End for me. As Holders says there is a generally unwelcome mini invasion going on at the moment but I am sure things will settle down.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Nero on March 22, 2020, 12:23:45 PM

Yep, they should have closed the roads in and out only key workers allowed to travel outside the M25

It looks like many people need to be told what's sensible and obvious so I think it's only a matter of time before actual enforceable bans come into play. Our local park was locked up yesterday because groups were gathering for coffee socials and barbecues. Derh.

Dr Know

Been going down to Cornwall most years since 1976 , so been to most places . But the area between St ives and Lands End has some of the best walking paths . I've walked from St Ives to Zennor , strenuous but great views, ending up at a great pub called the Tinners arms in Zennor , I could go on but will leave it for now ,

Holders

Quote from: Nero on March 22, 2020, 12:23:45 PM

I don't live in London so it's easy for me to agree with that. But, maybe, in 2-3 weeks' time people will have come to regret that it wasn't done earlier.

Here in Devon, so many people are still in total denial.  My partner spoke to her niece this morning, she works in ICU in Plymouth. They're coping at the moment but quite aware of what is to come. She went to Tesco after her shift and, like the girl in the video, found the shelves bare.

Holders

Quote from: ScalleysDad on March 22, 2020, 12:26:47 PM
Cornwall

Some of the best stretches of coastal footpath thereabouts. Get a pasty in St Just and wander down to Cape Cornwall, trumps Lands End for me. As Holders says there is a generally unwelcome mini invasion going on at the moment but I am sure things will settle down.

Have you tried the coast path further east towards the Devon border? Speke's Mill/Tidna/Marsland/Welcombe/ Hartland etc?  My own favourite is Bolt Tail to Bolt Head and on round Start Point but that's S. Devon not Cornwall. 

Fulham 442

My youngest son and his family live in Pembrokeshire  and say holiday makers are still arriving in their numbers much to their dismay.. .

bobbo

I was going majorca for a week early June hoping BA will let us use tickets later on. What I'm really concerned about is my yearly pilgrimage to Maine and New Hampshire for the fall in early October been the last 18 years on the bounce but it's looking dodgy this year.
Just an additional on - not abiding by the current advice being given is actually gambling with you life, well for me at 74 it is so I am where I'm staying at home.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Fulhamfan666

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 21, 2020, 09:25:51 PM
We were booked for China in May; changed that in view of developments and booked for Peru instead.  Questionable decision making!

Peru is lovely though!
Where exactly you heading?

Fulhamfan666

When all this ends I will be travelling the country watching as much football as I can.

Already planning going Wigan, Leeds, West Brom and Forest with Fulham, and then Wingate & Finchley, southend, Sutton United, Braintree, chelmsford, St Albans, Hemel Hempstead, spurs again, man united.. all in best case scenario of course)

Southcoastffc

Fulhamfan666. - Well, we WERE going to travel a bit, Lima, Mach Pichu, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Puno, Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa. But who knows now when we'll get there.  One day!   Seems as though you know it?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: Fulham 442 on March 22, 2020, 12:48:23 PM

My youngest son and his family live in Pembrokeshire  and say holiday makers are still arriving in their numbers much to their dismay.. .

It's just irresponsible.

WindyCity

When things have calmed down and it's safe to travel again, I'm gonna take a trip to Torquay, England.  Book a room there.  Hope to see, even just from my room view, Sydney Opera House, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically.  Ideally, Krakatoa won't be erupting during my stay.

love4ffc

A lot of people won't be able to go anywhere since they haven't been able to work and get a pay check. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Holders on March 22, 2020, 12:45:43 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on March 22, 2020, 12:26:47 PM
Cornwall

Have you tried the coast path further east towards the Devon border? Speke's Mill/Tidna/Marsland/Welcombe/ Hartland etc?  My own favourite is Bolt Tail to Bolt Head and on round Start Point but that's S. Devon not Cornwall.

Yup. I did the whole south west coast footpath a while ago and will gladly, but much slower, do big chunks of it again given the chance. The Salcombe area is very nice and on a good day Port Isaac all the way round to Newquay is the bizzness. Exeter to Lyme Regis is a bit dull but then you have Golden Cap to Weymouth and onto Kimmeridge. You have mentioned Hartland damn you. The minute the current unpleasantness is over I must do Hartland to Bude again but this time with a flask.

Dr Know

Scalley  , you must have gone through a village called Porthallow , which is the exact halfway point of the sw path , talk about being out of the way , stayed there couple of years ago , a few houses and a pub . Walked from there northwards to the Helford river , lovely with a great pub called the shipwrights , can't wait to go back , happy days .

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Dr Know on March 22, 2020, 08:02:13 PM
Scalley  , you must have gone through a village called Porthallow , which is the exact halfway point of the sw path , talk about being out of the way , stayed there couple of years ago , a few houses and a pub . Walked from there northwards to the Helford river , lovely with a great pub called the shipwrights , can't wait to go back , happy days .

Indeed some great pubs along the way. I stayed in a few and had a resuscitating pint in a few more. I wish I had kept a diary of such things but I did make a point of photographing the lifeboat stations along the route. You got me thinking now. The Guinness at St Mawes waiting for the ferry springs to mind.