watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Ready Steady Go.

Started by bog, March 22, 2020, 11:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Anybody see on BBC4 two hours about Ready Steady Go! on Friday eve? Some great footage of the '60's music.

092.gif

bobbo

No havnt seen it but my cousin was going on about it said it was excellent . Not sure if it's availed still
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bog

Should be on the iplayer. One time Burt Bacarach came over for his orchestra to accompany Sandie Shaw, a big announcement, over to the mic....and she is not there...Burt keeps on waving his baton about looking here and there wondering where the hell (or worse) is she...she was sat in her dressing room watching the show on tv. No one had called her. Doh   :doh:

092.gif   

Art Vandelay

Yes it was very good, enjoyed especiallly the Stones sketch miming to Sonny and Cher

Bill2

I remember Cathy McGowan introduce Little Stevie Wonder and was hoping to see that clip but from what the showed apparently it has been lost.
Surprised that Cathy McGowan was not among the people commenting on the program.
Saw the programs and enjoyed the music.

Cambridge Pete

Next Friday the Island that rocked. Many a good memory from the 60's  The Stones, Edgar Broughton, Spooky Tooth, The Tridents and the Yardbirds.  All really looking forward to it. Shoud be better than the RSG show because of the memories 092.gif

bog

In my aged opinion these programmes show that for exciting times with music the long gone 1960's will never be beaten. Some may say I am scruffy old sod living off nostalgia but unless you were about then you just will not of of the excitement. I don't like getting old but I am glad I was there!  :54:

092.gif     

Dr Know

RaySmith

Must see viewing on Friday evening, after getting in from school.

Beatles, Stones, The Who Donovan,Animals, Gene Pitney, blues  artists  like John Lee Hooker and Tommy Tucker, both with big chart hits,  presented in endearingly amateurish style by Cathy McGowan, who a fan just like one of us.

Magical times.

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on March 23, 2020, 08:29:50 AM
In my aged opinion these programmes show that for exciting times with music the long gone 1960's will never be beaten. Some may say I am scruffy old sod living off nostalgia but unless you were about then you just will not of of the excitement. I don't like getting old but I am glad I was there!  :54:

092.gif     

Oh Captain, you are so so right, the sixties were magnificent (well in our eyes anyway).
Playing at the best level of my football career and never been as fit since, also played in a band and visited the local Ricky Tick club on a weekly basis seeing enjoying such acts as Georgie Fame and the blue flames, Yardbirds (featuring Eric Clapton) Howling Wolf, Geno Washington and his Ram Jam Band and my personal favourites Zoot Money and his Big Roll Band (Zoot is our age Captain but still performing and is scheduled to Gig locally in July, do hope I can attend)

We also won the World Cup with our own George Cohen and had a Labour Government!!

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on March 23, 2020, 06:11:27 PM
Quote from: bog on March 23, 2020, 08:29:50 AM

092.gif     

Oh Captain, you are so so right, the sixties were magnificent (well in our eyes anyway).
Playing at the best level of my football career and never been as fit since, also played in a band and visited the local Ricky Tick club on a weekly basis seeing enjoying such acts as Georgie Fame and the blue flames, Yardbirds (featuring Eric Clapton) Howling Wolf, Geno Washington and his Ram Jam Band and my personal favourites Zoot Money and his Big Roll Band (Zoot is our age Captain but still performing and is scheduled to Gig locally in July, do hope I can attend)

We also won the World Cup with our own George Cohen and had a Labour Government!!

Great times indeed Fernhurst! What names you recall. Eric Clapton at his early best!!!  :54:  And you performed in a group!  :Haynes The Maestro: What instrument?  092.gif

Fernhurst

Captain I was the  :drums: and sometime singer, we were very local But did play a few biggish giggs including an all nighter near London (Claygate)?
My music career came to a shuddering halt after football and music clashed. The band left without me after coming to pick me up from a match where the end of the game was delayed. Ah well, football was always going to win.

When I think back....... what memories, what stories  092.gif so glad I've got them.

bog

I am genuinely in awe Fernhurst.  :Haynes The Maestro: There must have been a real buzz when performing live in a group. All those groups that made it would have begun like you did. We cannot live in the past but you cannot beat a bit of nostalgia based on personal experience....especially when faded black and white photographs back them up or stir memories.  :54: 

092.gif 

Cambridge Pete

Thank Fenhurst. I'd forgotten the Ricky Tic.  Also the Crawdaddy and Kew Boathouse. After leaving school/KCFE (First period as a College Social Sec) I had a year working as a roadie for a number of bands, Writing on The Wall a Scottish band, supported Cream on a UK tour. The Perishers a Liverpudlian band and whilst with them met Mal Evans, didn't know who he was so when telling me Beatle Stories I rather PooPoo'd him. At the end of the set one of the band explained who he was. He was a real gent and a great bloke. Pity how he left us. Then off to College and a stint as Social Sec. Great memories and met the future Mrs. What more could I ask for.  This Social Distancing leaves a lot of time to look back into the memory banks.

Fernhurst

You're right Captain it was a such a buzz, and you set me thinking. Our biggest gig was a Saturday night in front of an audience of around 400 mostly women but I don't remember why.
Spent a goodly time today trying to remember our "set list".
We started with "Needles and Pins" and I loved the drum intro.
Somewhere in the middle we played some "Chuck Berry"
Will never forget our finishing number —- "What i'd Say" by Ray Charles complete with all sing back sections from the audience. It was fantastic and I finished soaked in sweat but the reaction at the end was really thrilling.
You mentioned black and white photos and I distinctly remember the boys calling for me at some unearthly
hour and we motored out to a forest for pics with all our kit amongst frost covered trees and bushes.
These pics were turned into postcards and I was suitably impressed with the finished product.
Now at this stage of my life I would dearly love one of those postcards.
Never kept in touch with other group members but maybe just maybe one day.......

alfie

For a short period about 6 months I was a roadie for Mott the Hoople, had a few laughs, but was bloody hard work.
I then went on to manage a and called "The missing links", and there lies the rub, they lived up to their name, 2 brothers in the band that made the Gallagher's look happy together, they used to argue continuously, and when that happened you could guarantee that one if not both would go missing. Got to a point where local venues (Romford area) would not book us, chucked it in and got on with life.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on March 26, 2020, 10:58:06 PM
You're right Captain it was a such a buzz, and you set me thinking. Our biggest gig was a Saturday night in front of an audience of around 400 mostly women but I don't remember why.
Spent a goodly time today trying to remember our "set list".
We started with "Needles and Pins" and I loved the drum intro.
Somewhere in the middle we played some "Chuck Berry"
Will never forget our finishing number —- "What i'd Say" by Ray Charles complete with all sing back sections from the audience. It was fantastic and I finished soaked in sweat but the reaction at the end was really thrilling.
You mentioned black and white photos and I distinctly remember the boys calling for me at some unearthly
hour and we motored out to a forest for pics with all our kit amongst frost covered trees and bushes.
These pics were turned into postcards and I was suitably impressed with the finished product.
Now at this stage of my life I would dearly love one of those postcards.
Never kept in touch with other group members but maybe just maybe one day.......

Great story Fernhurst. At the time of that photograph understandably oblivious of the importance of the moment. Now priceless. Funny how we drift apart from early life friends.

How many were inspired by those 1950's American R&R trail blazers? Then buying Bert Weedon's Teach Yourself the Guitar books. My contribution was to spend countless 4 shillings an 9 pence  on the 45rpms! There must have been so many times when young lads an lassies were in their mate's bedrooms making a 'right din' and the parents call up 'Stop making that row and get a bloody trade behind you!'    Great times.

092.gif