watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I can't see a ball being kicked for a long time

Started by H4usuallysitting, March 23, 2020, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Wonder what all the player's are doing - they can't be training together....wonder what they're doing?....

Andy S

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 23, 2020, 08:37:38 AM
Wonder what all the player's are doing - they can't be training together....wonder what they're doing?....

Counting their money
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Andy S on March 23, 2020, 08:54:08 AM
I think it will be at least 12 months

I would not be surprised at all if it turned out to be as long as that.

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

I was anticipating 8/12 months..... Just wondering if the overseas player's have returned home....

Sting of the North

I think that there is an almost zero risk for everything (including football even though it may seem unimportant in the grand scheme of things) being shut down for something close to 8-12 months. The damage to society would be far, far worse than anything Corona could do at that point. Mass unemployment and countless bankrupcies that would in all likeliness lead to a total collapse of the wellfare state would lead to many more deaths in the not so long term. Things need to get back to 'normal' sooner rather than later, and I believe that those in charge are painfully aware of that. 

Just my two cents.

Russianrob

Traditional Football as we know it will soon cease to exist.Not as pessimistic as may first appear though no prediction as to what it will be like if it ever restarts.

fulhamben

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 23, 2020, 08:37:38 AM
if you are on twitter, check out kebanos feed and what he did with gummy bears
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Sgt Fulham

3 months is my guess. I would be very surprised if it was over 6 months. But we're all just speculating so who knows.

filham

This year, next year, sometime , never. That is an accurate prediction. We rally don't know enough about this beast yet.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 23, 2020, 10:05:41 AM
I think that there is an almost zero risk for everything (including football even though it may seem unimportant in the grand scheme of things) being shut down for something close to 8-12 months. The damage to society would be far, far worse than anything Corona could do at that point. Mass unemployment and countless bankrupcies that would in all likeliness lead to a total collapse of the wellfare state would lead to many more deaths in the not so long term. Things need to get back to 'normal' sooner rather than later, and I believe that those in charge are painfully aware of that. 

Just my two cents.

I'm not a political man.... can't stand politics - but, this is the time to re-nationalise..... cobblers to the global economy....all people need is warmth, shelter, food & drink

toshes mate

Funny how two weeks ago we were focused on a Friday night football match involving our lads.  In that week some ITK predicted wholesale shut down of football which came to pass.  Now that has been increased to a larger scale lock down and there may be more to follow largely designed to protect ailing health services, but the litmus test is still, as it always has been, will it work?  It's very much a suck it and see dilemma which could shoot off in any number of directions on a daily basis until better solutions appear.   Unless you have tested positive you really don't know where you are on a personal scale other than seeing the effects the lock down has locally.  Is the lock down helping or hindering the process of achieving the flattening of the curve which is its short term aim?  Only time will tell and it is hard enough to predict daily change let alone what the planet may be like in that time let alone longer periods.  Things that will help IMO - cool heads; situation acceptance and compliance; comprehensive and repeated testing; isolation of infected people and infected households; and, last, but not least, optimism.

With that in mind and like S-O-T-N I cannot see the current situation being an acceptable answer to an epidemic in either the medium or longer term and our politicians know that only too well.       

Statto

Just my two cents.

Agreed.

In a couple of posts I've referred to a scientific paper which I believe is driving the current UK gov policy. In that they suggest the current controls could be maintained for 3 months, then could be switched to something like 2 months on, 1 month off.

Although FWIW my personal guess is still that a combination of possible lower transmission in the warmer weather, increased testing, improved treatments, increased ventilator numbers, further promising developments of a vaccine etc will give us all more confidence in the coming weeks/months and the government will revert to its "mitigation" (as opposed to "suppression") strategy.

Sting of the North

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 23, 2020, 10:42:52 AM

Just my two cents.

I'm not a political man.... can't stand politics - but, this is the time to re-nationalise..... cobblers to the global economy....all people need is warmth, shelter, food & drink

From your quote it seems like there is a contradiction between the "global economy" on the one hand and what people need on the other hand. Without going into politics I would suggest that it is safe to say that those are not necessarilly mutually exclusive. There are no such things as simple solutions in these cases. Global trade and traveling may fluctuate, but it will not cease or diminish and we will keep living in a global sociaty whether we like it or not. What's good for the global economy will be good for the local economy at least long term in almost all cases. In my opinion.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 23, 2020, 01:19:48 PM

Just my two cents.

From your quote it seems like there is a contradiction between the "global economy" on the one hand and what people need on the other hand. Without going into politics I would suggest that it is safe to say that those are not necessarilly mutually exclusive. There are no such things as simple solutions in these cases. Global trade and traveling may fluctuate, but it will not cease or diminish and we will keep living in a global sociaty whether we like it or not. What's good for the global economy will be good for the local economy at least long term in almost all cases. In my opinion.

Globally it's worked for the few not the many

Woolly Mammoth

Whether the many like it or not. The wealth of the few creates jobs and other benefits for the many.
If the global economy sneezes the local economy catches a cold.
Without the ambition and entrepreneurism of the few, there would not be so many of the many.

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on March 23, 2020, 01:42:21 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 23, 2020, 01:36:15 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on March 23, 2020, 01:19:48 PM

Just my two cents.

Globally it's worked for the few not the many

If the imbalance upsets you, as far as I'm aware there's nothing stopping you, as one of the "few", from giving your money to some of the "many" to even things up a bit.

Why's it always about money.....

SP

We had a kick about in the garden this evening, I'm going to ache tomorrow.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: SP on March 23, 2020, 08:59:38 PM
We had a kick about in the garden this evening, I'm going to ache tomorrow.

We did that yesterday. I tried to pass on my in depth knowledge of goal celebrations from the likes of Cantonna and Shearer. It all went wrong when I got to Giggsy. I could'nt get my t shirt over my head quick enough and ended up stumbling around, just missed the shed and dropped my specs. Great finish though...........

Robbie

May. That is why we are having the Big Lock Down now.
Flu viruses fade in spring and summer.