watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Netflix...the english game

Started by jarv, March 22, 2020, 09:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Just watched a few episodes. Anyone else seen it?  Good drama about the start of football in the late 1800s. A north v south, working class v the snobs in London. Based on a real player from Scotland and the professional game taking root in Lancashire..

Southcoastffc

Quote from: jarv on March 22, 2020, 09:57:06 PM
Just watched a few episodes. Anyone else seen it?  Good drama about the start of football in the late 1800s. A north v south, working class v the snobs in London. Based on a real player from Scotland and the professional game taking root in Lancashire..
:plus one:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

love4ffc

Sounds interesting that for letting me know.  Going to add this to my watch list  :54:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Russianrob

Have Fulham ever played The Old Etonians? Are Fulham a working class team or one of the Elites? Personally l think we were once working class but are now one of the wealthy teams.

Peabody

I posted this Saturday Jarv. I watched it all and was a bit disappointed

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I hate writers who mess around with history for dramatic effect and The English Game is a classic example of this. Written by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey and currently Belgravia fame I have watched four of the six episodes and to a certain extent it is the same as them with a leather ball thrown in.
I dislike writers who alter the truth and in the series there is one Blackburn team when actually there were two who played Old Etonians two years running. One lost and the following year one won.the FA Cup.
Also there is not enough emphasis on the rules (or lack of them) which existed at that time and the style of Old Etonians. They played an 8,1,1,1 formation using their pack rugby style to attack the ball and move it forward. That was all they knew.
The 5.3.2.1 formation which many of us were brought on was introduced by the Northern teams.
There was a classic class divide between the teams and familiar Northern andScottish teams are being introduced.
Something for an isolated Over 70 to watch!

Logicalman

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on March 23, 2020, 09:22:49 AM
I hate writers who mess around with history for dramatic effect and The English Game is a classic example of this. Written by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey and currently Belgravia fame I have watched four of the six episodes and to a certain extent it is the same as them with a leather ball thrown in.
I dislike writers who alter the truth and in the series there is one Blackburn team when actually there were two who played Old Etonians two years running. One lost and the following year one won.the FA Cup.
Also there is not enough emphasis on the rules (or lack of them) which existed at that time and the style of Old Etonians. They played an 8,1,1,1 formation using their pack rugby style to attack the ball and move it forward. That was all they knew.
The 5.3.2.1 formation which many of us were brought on was introduced by the Northern teams.
There was a classic class divide between the teams and familiar Northern and Scottish teams are being introduced.
Something for an isolated Over 70 to watch!

My thoughts exactly.

We binge-watched it yesterday, the missus loved the period costume (she's a big DA fan), and the whole thing was quite good, but, like Stoneleigh, the number of actual facts that were 'altered' did spoil it somewhat for me tbh, especially as I am currently researching a project on Fulham players from that era through WWI and so took a special interest in what was presented.

I understand there is an entertainment factor involved, but even just telling the true story would have been entertaining, without the family background troubles & love triangle, etc.  The actual story of Suter, Partick and Darwen are good reads from the various sources, for example, Suters older brother played with him in the same Darwen side.

The Old Etonians is another matter altogether, an interesting history, especially Arthur Kinnaird, possibly the David Beckham of his time, and Francis Marindin, both of which served on the FA board in that era, and influenced the game.

Overall, the English Game is good entertainment, and worth a watch, but take almost everything proposed in the script with a large pinch of salt, as the movie is based on a true story, and that's as good as it gets.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Woolly Mammoth

I have not watched it yet, but will do once I get rid of these leeches.
There is one question I would like to ask though before I watch it. Are any of the players seen smoking a pipe.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 23, 2020, 10:36:59 AM
I have not watched it yet, but will do once I get rid of these leeches.
There is one question I would like to ask though before I watch it. Are any of the players seen smoking a pipe.

Of course they are WM, wouldn't be a film of late 19th Century England without such a thing. Though there are no scenes where a player runs to the sidelines during the match to have a quick puff!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

jarv

Mr Peabody, I agree and was a bit disappointed in the last episode. Did not seem real to me but overall I liked it. I googled the 2 main characters, the scot and the etonian and makes it a bit more interesting because they were real. OK, all these things do have a bit of poetic license written in.

The relationship they developed is something that can still exist. I recall playing in teams with a doctor, teacher, builder and thug out of jail. In football we were all mates on the pitch. The game was the common thread which I believe helped us not prejudge anyone until we get to know them.

Peabody

Quote from: jarv on March 23, 2020, 06:16:43 PM
Mr Peabody, I agree and was a bit disappointed in the last episode. Did not seem real to me but overall I liked it. I googled the 2 main characters, the scot and the etonian and makes it a bit more interesting because they were real. OK, all these things do have a bit of poetic license written in.

The relationship they developed is something that can still exist. I recall playing in teams with a doctor, teacher, builder and thug out of jail. In football we were all mates on the pitch. The game was the common thread which I believe helped us not prejudge anyone until we get to know them.

The last episode was not factual. Blackburn in fact lost that game(the final) but the following season, Blackburn Olympic did win the FA Cup and I think they beat bOld Etonians. Blackburn Olympic were a different team to Blackburn.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Just talking with my wife about it.
She is also a Downton Abbey fan and doesn't bother with sport, whereas I'm mostly burn't out on English period dramas.
Still can't beat the Dickens ones !!!
The dilemma is, what % would any of you say is football or DA stuff ?
This will help us decide if I watch it. she watches it. we watch it together or neither of us bothers.

One good point is that when we were in England 4 years ago, I did convince her to pop into see CC
and sniff the sacred air.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

FulhamKC

I've only watched the first 3 episodes but I would say it's 80% Downton Abbey and 20% football. That said, the footballers are all involved in the DA action.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES