watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When football returns

Started by Andy S, March 24, 2020, 12:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Will players be less likely to grapple others at corners or will things go back to normal. Have we learnt enough to mouth to face contact with all germs not just Corona Virus

Whitestone

For the good of the game it would be nice to see the end of the grappling and grabbing by players. These clear and obvious fouls often go unpunished, particularly in the box. It's something that has crept into the game over a number of years. During that same period the art of tackling seems to have been clamped down to the detriment of the game. The slightest contact and a player goes down to try and win a foul. It's cheating to gain an advantage just the same as the grappling.

filham

Never understand why the ref. allows all the grappling at corners, surly an early penalty award and it would stop.

Whitesideup

Quote from: filham on March 24, 2020, 01:24:07 PM
Never understand why the ref. allows all the grappling at corners, surly an early penalty award and it would stop.
Has VAR stopped much of it in the Premier League? Don't follow it so much now, but early on I did see  a couple of incidents that VAR did not pick up on. In the EFL they could stop it if they wanted, but if refs made correct calls, the ire of both mangers and clubs would be great, and refs highly criticised. So they don't. The criticism, especially if complaints are then made, could harm their careers so in a way you can't blame them.

70sPimlico

*Not for the squeamish

I remember when it became quite common for a defender or a midfielder who was marking from behind you to stick his fingers up your nose just as the ball was coming. His fingers would have gone from his behind straight to your nose. This would result in you...losing concentration for a bit. Never happened to me but did to quite a few I know. Friend of mine had it done to hm by Vinnie Jones in a youth game. Quite common in S America so Understand.

Disgusting. I'd rather grapple at a corner than have this.

Sorry to bring this up

Andy S

David Allen Crankshaw

I just hope that when the crisis ends we are spared the spectacle of players jumping on top of each other when a goal is scored.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on March 25, 2020, 04:33:30 PM
I just hope that when the crisis ends we are spared the spectacle of players jumping on top of each other when a goal is scored.

What, like Cairney's last minute equaliser against Leeds in 2016/17? Cheer up!

Andy S

When I first watched football there was a lot of shaking hands when goals were scored. Players may need to carry sanitiser if we go back to that again