more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus: All football below National League to end

Started by sunburywhite, March 26, 2020, 03:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Coronavirus: All football below National League to end

The National League season could still reach a conclusion, with Barrow currently top of the table
All football in England below the three divisions that make up the National League will end immediately and all results will be expunged.

It means there will be no promotion or relegation in these leagues.

The same will happen in the women's game below the Women's Super League and Championship level.

However, the National League, National League North and South, WSL and Women's Championship will continue towards a conclusion "as quickly as possible".

The Football Association said it was "reviewing all options" to complete the men's FA Cup, which had reached the quarter-final stage, and other cup competitions.

The coronavirus pandemic has decimated all sports, with fixtures suspended earlier this month.

"These are challenging circumstances for English football and all decisions taken are in the best interests of the game," said an FA statement.

"Our primary concern will always be for the safety and welfare of clubs, players, staff, officials, volunteers and supporters during this unprecedented time.

"Today's steps take into account the financial impact during this uncertain period, whilst considering the fairest method on how the sporting outcomes for the season will be decided, with the integrity of the leagues in mind."

The decision applies to steps three to seven in men's non-league football which contains 91 leagues.

All "grassroots" divisions below these tiers have also finished, but it has still yet to be decided whether these seasons are to be voided.

A planned restructure of the non-league system at lower levels has now been delayed until 2021-22.

In women's football, tiers three to seven have also ended.

27 wins in a row for nothing

Some men's teams, such as Jersey Bulls and Vauxhall Motors, had already secured promotion to step five of the non-league pyramid, but their promotions will now be cancelled.

Jersey Bulls had won all 27 of their matches in the Combined Counties Football League Division One and were 20 points clear at the top.

Northern Premier League Premier Division leaders South Shields FC were set for promotion to National League North with a 13-point gap to second, but will now spend another campaign in tier seven of English football.

Chairman Geoff Thompson vented his frustration on Twitter, saying they had been "badly let down".

"SSFC will be writing to the FA in the strongest possible terms and will seek an appeal or will take legal action," he said.

"Whatever the outcome following this appalling decision the club will continue as before. However, there is no denying this decision has a huge financial impact.

"We have invested heavily this year in a host of areas and the loss of promotion will also affect some of our revenue assumptions for next season. My message to all our SSFC fans and sponsors is - sorry a huge disappointment and we've all been badly let down."

"We're devastated by the decision" - Truro boss Paul Wotton

Truro City were top of the Southern League Premier Division South and eyeing a return to the National League South.

Manager Paul Wotton feels the FA have treated lower-league sides differently to how they will deal with professional sides.

"The bottom line is Liverpool would take the FA to court, we haven't got the money to do that," he told BBC Radio Cornwall.

"I genuinely believe there's an element of 'no-one down there's going to kick off about it, they'll be upset for a couple of days but they'll get on with it'."

"I understand at the minute there's more important things in the world going on and it's a horrific time for so many people, but without sounding selfish we're devastated by the decision."

'Wrong to award promotion'

Nick Robinson is chairman of the Isthmian League which covers steps three and four of non-league in London, the east and south east of England.

There were still a quarter of fixtures left to play in their four divisions when football was halted.

"We thought it would be very wrong to award promotion or punish with relegation when there were so many matches left," Robinson told BBC Radio Guernsey.

"We've said the competitions are now finished and we're going to look forward to next season.

"What we've tried to do is come up with a solution that will fit the vast majority of people."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mince n Tatties

I don't think it will be long before it happens to all.

Buffalo76

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 26, 2020, 04:02:38 PM
I don't think it will be long before it happens to all.

I'm thinking the same, despite what was previously said about finishing the season however long it takes.
That's it and that's all.

grandad

My gripe is that if the season is voided the 3 clubs who would have been relegated get another £100 mil+
Where there's a will there's a wife

Wolf

For Step 3 and below this is a costs based decision, they don't really have players on contracts and they do not want to pay players at this current time with no income coming in. Note that Step 1 and 2 are not a part of this decision.

This shouldn't be seen as a precedent as it really would be the tail wagging the dog.

To my mind this is the second fairest option (the least fair being some sort of points per game promotion and relegation). The only really fair way for senior football is resuming where they left off and completing the season.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

toshes mate

I cannot argue with the decisions that have already been made simply because what difference would it make.  I also believe that history proves that once so called 'leaders' create a drama they will not easily be persuaded that they made badly wrong calls, but once one call is made there are always people who will follow that call and push more dominoes over. 

The whole political machinery on a macro and a micro scale lives behind and within its own protection racket (which is not partisan), a racket that claims legitimacy. We can have a discussion about the rights and wrongs of opinions about the 2020 'flu season, but we seem to have zero democratic ability to influence politicians in the way they have been influenced by 'experts' across many platforms. 

Perhaps we need to think about how governments select their experts and why, so very often, the wrong people may be gaining access to politician's ears.  Is there a sub-plot or are these politicians and their bureaucracies very much lower quality and integrity than they have mostly been in the past.  Just a bad batch that we need to get over quickly.

Woolly Mammoth

My vision for the future of the human race is that I reckon somebody somewhere is currently knocking up in their garden shed or in a lock up or even in their attic, an item they will call the wheel. This invention will earn them a fortune and change out lives for the better.
By the way, I have just chopped down an Oak Tree and I am thinking about sawing off four pieces from the bottom of the trunk of the tree, and attached all 4 round pieces to each corner of a wooden trailer I have built and then bring my favourite old nag Dobbin out of retirement and attach him to this trailer I will for arguments sake call a cart, and then fit a nose bag on Dobbin and get him to drag this cart around my neighbourhood collecting lead and metal and old washing machines and other junk that people have discarded, and call myself a Rag and Bone man, which I feel is very original, and I am surprised nobody has thought of this before.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Well I am one of those with a hospital record and of an age where I am considered at risk , as is my 17 year old grandaughter. We have both received letters telling us to stay indoors for the next 12weeks which suggests that the authorities think the virus will still be around in 12weeks time and therefore football matches are unlikely to be played in front of crowds for at least 12 weeks.

Next season which should start at the beginning of August must be in doubt, difficult to see how the current season can be completed.

Woolly Mammoth

My genuine concern is, if people are off work for too long, will they develop a scouse accent ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 27, 2020, 03:21:55 PM
My genuine concern is, if people are off work for too long, will they develop a scouse accent ?

Calm down,Calm Down,Calm down.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Does this apply to the Premier Under 18 League? Our youngsters are five games from glory with absolutely cup finals against main rivals Chelsea and West Ham included in those fixtures. It would be a great shame if they were to be unable to play out these matches ,but I have a feeling that the clubs will have greater priorities.

Grumpy Worthing White

My old home town`s non league team have stated that many a (non league) club could go out of existence, I`m just wondering if that would implement a restructure of the lower leagues  :016:

filham

While that is happening to most of us what on earth will be happening to the scousers.

toshes mate

Quote from: filham on March 29, 2020, 10:44:37 AM
While that is happening to most of us what on earth will be happening to the scousers.
Will the scousers be implicated directly or indirectly behind the spread of this virus and spend the next several years seeking justice ...