more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 27/03/20...

Started by WhiteJC, March 27, 2020, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham: Fans react to footage of Simon Davies

Fulham fans have been reacting to a video of their former midfielder Simon Davies taking part in the 'stay at home challenge'. The 40-year-old completed a number of kick-ups with the toilet roll before turning and volleying into a miniature goal.

Here is what some of the fans had to say.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/03/twitter/fulham-fans-react-to-footage-of-simon-davies/

WhiteJC

The best Fulham XI since the Millennium – centre-backs

Fulham started the Millennium by earning promotion from Division One to the Premier League, but after 13 consecutive season they were relegated.

Under the management of Slavisa Jokanovic they returned for a season in 2018, but after spending heavily in the transfer market they were relegated at the first time of asking last summer.

During their 13-year initial spell in England's top division, Fulham finished as high as seventh under Roy Hodgson, with the current Crystal Palace boss also guiding them to the 2010 Europa League final.

Much of their success in this period was built on their solid defence and here, we look at the top four Fulham centre-backs of the last 20 years.

Zat Knight
Made 181 appearances for Fulham during an eight-year spell at the start of the Millennium, establishing himself as one of the most consistent defenders in the league.

His form earned him a move to Aston Villa in 2007, but his time at Craven Cottage was where he showed the best form of his career.

Aaron Hughes
Made 250 appearances for the club between 2007 and 2014, forming a solid partnership with Brede Hangeland during the club's most successful period.

Positionally excellent and very intelligent, he was able to play at the highest level until the age of 40.

Brede Hangeland
Hughes' partner at the back, he made more than 200 appearances for the club where he was renowned for his aerial ability and strength.

Often linked with a move away as a result of his high levels, he stayed until 2014 before leaving for Crystal Palace.

Tim Ream
Has played the bulk of his matches for Fulham in the Championship, but has become a real leader in the side.

An excellent distributor from deep, he has now made 176 appearances for the club.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-best-fulham-xi-since-the-millennium-centre-backs/

WhiteJC

Missing Fulham FC?
There's still plenty of Fulham related discussion going on over in the FoF forums.

why not come on over and join in...

https://bit.ly/2UDAjaY

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=1122

WhiteJC

'He's actually unbelievable' – These Fulham fans loved watching 23-y/o's highlights this term

Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak has enjoyed an impressive campaign between the sticks for the west London side since stepping in for Marcus Bettinelli back in October.

Rodak has now enjoyed 24 league outings since replacing Bettinelli following Fulham's 2-0 defeat to Stoke, with the 23-year-old having played an integral role in helping Scott Parker's men up to third in the table during the current fixture suspension.

The Slovakia stopper entered Parker's plans at the start of the season following two successful loan stints at Rotherham over the last two campaigns, and he has now established himself as the number-one choice at Crave Cottage after some fine performances.

Rodak has kept a commendable 10 clean sheets during his 23 outings for the Londoners this season, and he has quickly become a real favourite among Fulham supporters following his breakthrough in the senior set-up after spending seven years at the club.

Fulham have now taken to Instagram to share a video showcasing some of Rodak's best saves since his inclusion in the side:

Plenty of Fulham supporters responded by claiming Rodak has become the best goalkeeper in the Championship following his displays, while others suggested they would like the 23-year-old between the sticks if the Cottagers achieve promotion this term.

Here are some of the responses...

robertbolton_: Best keeps in the league.

stanley_ffc: Best goalkeeper in the Championship. ⚫️⚪️

jackspong: He's actually unbelievable

tommy_durepos: Rodak should be the keeper next season whether we're going up or not.

robfrench01: Looks like a career best saves highlight reel, not half a season! 🤭

montystillwell_: Would rather have him in the Prem than any other keeper.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/hes-actually-unbelievable-these-fulham-fans-loved-watching-23-y-os-highlights-this-term/

WhiteJC

Man City Relived

Manchester City away from our Great Escape will be the next match featured in our Relived series.

Head to the website on Saturday afternoon where we encourage you to hit play at exactly 3pm, so that you can enjoy our Twitter coverage in real time.

With three games left of the 2007/08 season, Fulham headed to the City of Manchester Stadium knowing that we'd likely need to leave with all three points if we were to have any chance of avoiding the drop.

City themselves had plenty to play for, though. They'd already guaranteed their highest ever Premier League placing, and now had eyes on a European spot.

What happened that afternoon in Manchester exemplified the character of Roy Hodgson's squad, so make sure you tune in on Saturday to relive the match in its entirety.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/26/man-city-relived

WhiteJC

Players' contracts likely to be extended

Fifa look likely to recommend that players' contracts are extended until the end of the delayed domestic seasons.

Premier League and English Football League matches have been suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Clubs are keen for the season to be resumed – even if that means the campaign goes beyond the end of June, when the contracts of many players are due to expire.

Reuters reports that an internal Fifa document recommends that players' contracts are extended until whenever seasons end.

The document is to be discussed by members of Fifa's coronavirus working group.

All four west London clubs are potentially affected by the uncertainty over players' contracts.

Willian was recently allowed to return to his native Brazil to be with his family, having previously indicated that he would be willing to play on beyond the end of his contract if the season is extended.

His Chelsea team-mates Pedro, Olivier Giroud and Willy Caballero are also coming towards the end of their contracts.

Meanwhile, Dennis Odoi and Neeskens Kebano are among Fulham's soon-to-be out-of-contract players, while Brentford's includes Kamohelo Mokotjo.

Defenders Grant Hall and Angel Rangel are approaching the end of their deals at QPR, who hold options to extend the contracts of Geoff Cameron and Marc Pugh by a further 12 months.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/football-was-players-contracts-likely-to-be-extended

WhiteJC

The best Fulham XI since the Millennium – strikers

Fulham have experienced a difficult end to the decade after spending most of the previous 15 years in the Premier League.

Now sat third in the Championship, they are hoping for an instant return to the top-flight under former midfielder Scott Parker.

However, when that will happen, if it all, is unknown due to the football season's suspension.

Therefore, in the absence of football we have chosen to look back on the last 20 years and the best four Fulham strikers of the period.

Louis Saha
With 63 goals in his 142 appearances for the Cottages, Saha was a key part of their success in the early 2000s.

His form in the 2003-04 season then earned him a move to Old Trafford, a deal that brought in around £12.4m.

Brian McBride
Never a prolific goalscorer but McBride more than made up for it with hard work and commitment.

Arriving at the club in 2003, the USA international bagged 33 league goals as he helped keep the club in the top flight.

Clint Dempsey
Another American, Dempsey was a fine servant for the club during his seven seasons and played a key role in their 2010 Europa League campaign.

More of a second striker than an out and out goalscorer, he still bagged 60 in his 232 appearances.

Aleksandar Mitrovic
Misused at his previous club Newcastle United, Mitrovic has been absolutely outstanding since arriving at Craven Cottage.

With 46 goals from 93 appearances, he is a big part of the reason Fulham are third this season and is attracting interest from elsewhere.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-best-fulham-xi-since-the-millennium-strikers/

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

I didn't expect to be writing one of these columns with no football to talk about. It's very odd times at the moment, but I just hope you are all keeping safe and isolating. I work for a football agency, so with no games to go to, no reports to write, it is a very strange time. It's horrible not having any sport to watch, I don't think we realise how much of it we absorb until it's not there anymore. It's not a pleasant situation but people's health is the most important thing right now, so we just need to keep isolating until we're told otherwise.

Of course people are speculating about what is going to happen now, but I think the vast majority want to see the season finished. A couple of directors of clubs fighting relegation from the Premier League have said that it should end now with no relegation and just Leeds and West Brom going up. Well, no! That's very self-serving and doesn't make any sense to me. For me, the season running its course is the only fair way of doing things. Even in the Premier League, Liverpool have effectively won it, but they haven't actually won it. It's the lower league and grassroots clubs that I feel sorry for. Bigger clubs can survive this, but I do worry for those who rely on gate receipts to survive. Games need to be played out, and I'm sure the authorities are constantly talking about the best way to do that. Of course the health of everyone comes first, but hopefully there will come a time when we can finish this season in a safe way.

With no Fulham matches to dissect, the media guys put something out on Twitter asking for your suggestions of things to talk about, so here we go...

Were you dancing to a particular tune after scoring that Blackburn goal?

No, nothing in particular. It was an off the cuff thing, really. I went to school with a lot of people who went on to be in So Solid Crew, so I was big into House and Garage music then. It wasn't planned but I suppose you could call it a Garage dance! It's definitely one that I've been asked to do in many a Fulham pub since.

Which goal felt better; Blackburn or Sheffield Wednesday?

It's tough because they were both last minute. Sheff Weds, being at home and securing us the title, was obviously special, but Blackburn away was so big. I think the atmosphere at the Cottage, though, and what it meant, I'd have to go for Sheffield Wednesday. To do that in front of so many of our fans, and the way they celebrated, was just something else. It was a tense afternoon, we were losing and you could hear a pin drop, until I scored that goal. To score the goal that claimed the title was just great.

Talk us through your matchday routine when you attend Fulham games as a fan...

I normally go to the Golden Lion. Especially if it's a summer's day because they've got a terrific garden. I get off the train at Putney, walk down the high street to the Golden Lion, have a few in there and then head down to the ground. I'll probably reappear in the pub sometime after the game. The thing I like about the Lion is you get a lot of the old school fans who you can talk about any era with.

What's the best Fulham kit?

My favourite Fulham kit was the all black one. The main reason being that it was very slimming! The best home one, for me, was probably when we won the league in 2001.

Who in the current Fulham team would you like to have played with?

The captain, TC. He's a good footballer, a big game player, and I think it would have suited me playing alongside him. I would try and spray a pass every now and again but, to be honest with you, a lot of the time I'd just try and find Lee Clark. Getting it and just giving a simple pass is not a problem for me, so I'd be happy to let TC have the limelight in that regard!

How will the players be approaching this period of not playing?

It's a strange one. For footballers now I think it's all about keeping on top of your training. A lot of them these days will have home gyms, so they'll be doing a lot of weights, a lot of work on the bike. But it must be very frustrating for them, especially as we're in the business end of the season. If this had happened when I was a player then I'd be climbing the walls right now. It's not ideal but spending quality time with your family shouldn't be the hardest thing in the world.

Any boxset recommendations?

I've just finished Vikings, which I really enjoyed. I watched a film the other day called The Banker which was very good. I'm a bit of a Harry Potter freak so I could watch those films all day long. I was contemplating watching all of Game of Thrones again, but I didn't think I had the patience to do that. I've watched Sons of Anarchy about four times all the way through, the same with Prison Break. For me, the first series of Prison Break is the best and then it goes a bit downhill. It's still watchable, but the first series is by far the best. But if anyone hasn't watched Vikings then I would highly recommend it. It's got a bit of a Game of Thrones vibe with fighting, and kings and queens, so if you like that sort of stuff then it's a show for you.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/27/the-sean-davis-column