watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Eel Pie Island

Started by bog, March 28, 2020, 09:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Last Saturday I began a thread about the Friday night docu on Ready Steady Go. One reply informed of another one coming up on the next Friday on BBC4 about Eel Pie Island and that this would be better. How right he was! Phenomenal. So many groups began here. The Cavern in Liverpool is always mentioned with much reverence well surely Eel Pie Island should be of equal measure. There must have been some excellent bands that never got a break. What great times musically on that island.  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif     

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I believe there is a small museum on Eel Pie Island now but after its peak success it became very rundown.
I never went there in its prime but afterwards I paid my nominal payment to the little lady who sat on the bridge taking her toll fees and had a look around. It was a sad sight but work has been done since then.

f321ffc

Saw the title and immediately thought of pie mash and eels ohh how I miss the pie and mash shops.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: f321ffc on March 28, 2020, 09:42:21 AM
Saw the title and immediately thought of pie mash and eels ohh how I miss the pie and mash shops.

Are there any original pie n mash places left?

Cambridge Pete

Was a regular from late 64 'til the closure in 67. The show  was OK but, I thought, failed to transmit the vibrancy and excitement of the place. There were some great bands and it was every bit as important as the Cavern, There were some great venues then Kew Boat House, The Rikky Tik, Crawdaddy, Marquee etc. Yes Eel Pie was to us old Jazz and blues lovers a Nirvana Listen to great music, drink (for me) Newcastle Amber Great company and lots of other things. Was also saddened that Arther Chisnall only got a passing mention. All that said it brought back some great memories

spikey norman

Watched it too ' Rock and Roll Island where legends  we're born'
Was very interesting.
I too didn't go until it was run down.
Preferred going to the Marquee in Soho and the Greyhound in Fulham Palace,Road.
There were a few venues around during the 60's and 70's where you could hear great bands.
Remember the Boathouse in Kew when skinheads used to go.
The Rainbow and Roundhouse were good too.

MikeW

Quote from: bog on March 28, 2020, 09:17:36 AM
Last Saturday I began a thread about the Friday night docu on Ready Steady Go. One reply informed of another one coming up on the next Friday on BBC4 about Eel Pie Island and that this would be better. How right he was! Phenomenal. So many groups began here. The Cavern in Liverpool is always mentioned with much reverence well surely Eel Pie Island should be of equal measure. There must have been some excellent bands that never got a break. What great times musically on that island.  :Haynes The Maestro:

One of the revelations was Free being paid just over £100 for a gig and Deep Purple £350.  I would have died for those prices during my time promoting bands!

092.gif     
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

FFCAli

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on March 28, 2020, 09:29:13 AM
I believe there is a small museum on Eel Pie Island now but after its peak success it became very rundown.

The museum isn't on the island, it's on York Street, opposite York House.  Well worth a visit when we can do such things again.

RaySmith

I remember going to see the stones at the Richmond Jazz and Blues festival.

Also went to the Marquee, right into the late 70's, and the Greyhound Fulham, sometimes after evening games.

Also remember The Nashville Rooms, West Ken, The Hope and Anchor,  and The Cricketers, Oval, where I met my wife.
We used to have such a great live music scene,which is where most of  all the groups and musicians, many of them becoming world famous, others fading into obscurity, came from.

Dr Know

Quote from: FFCAli on March 28, 2020, 11:24:47 AM

The museum isn't on the island, it's on York Street, opposite York House.  Well worth a visit when we can do such things again.
York house and the museum are situated on Richmond road . The

Twig

There were so many great venues in the 60's and 70's.  I was a regular at the Marquee and the Roundhouse. Also used to go to the upstairs of a pub just off Tottenham Court Rd but I'm struggling for the name. I think it was London Welsh rugby club near Richmond that had some great bands on, saw the Nice there.  Brunel Uni was good too saw an early Floyd gig there.  Ealing Tech (as was) used to have a lot of blues bands, Duster Bennet, John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown etc. 

spikey norman

Also loved the Hammersmith Palais.

Dr Know

Also the Red Lion in Brentford , which is now a McDonald's.

john dempsey

the greyhound was like Sodom and Gomorrah on acid.
very scary place at times (mainly any time it was open)

FFCAli

Quote from: Dr Know on March 28, 2020, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: FFCAli on March 28, 2020, 11:24:47 AM

York house and the museum are situated on Richmond road . The
It's hard to know where York Street stops and Richmond Road begins as it's the same road.

Bill2

Some great venues listed which a number of I had frequented, in my mid teens also went down the Pink Flamingo in Wardour St.

Burt

Used to live in Twickenham for a few years, on King St above one of the shops. Great place - no neighbours so no complaints about the noise, and loads of pubs and restaurants in staggering distance.

One of our most famous residents was Trevor Baylis, an inventor whose claim to fame was the wind-up radio. He lived on Eel Pie Island. Very clever, mad as a box of frogs :)

cottage expat

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 28, 2020, 10:00:11 AM
Quote from: f321ffc on March 28, 2020, 09:42:21 AM

Are there any original pie n mash places left?

There's one in Tooting ( I think it's called Harringtons). My Grandma had an eel and pie shop in Wandsworth during the 1930's/40's ( it closed in the early '50's)

Milo

Loved this episode! My father remembers it all very well as a local Teddington teen at Hampton Grammar.

St Eve

Lived in Isleworth and remember Eel Pie Island well. Opposite the old Tickenham baths and the Barmy Arms