more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham 0-6 Port Vale (1987)

Started by Friendsoffulham, March 29, 2020, 10:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Anyone at this awful game in 1987? We were pretty poor back then.

Be good to get someones feedback from this game, what it was like to be there, what was the current mood afterwards etc.

[youtube width=600]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ukk0xmSn3I[/youtube]

kiwian

I'm glad the video was poor quality, like the defence!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

St Eve

Well thanks that cheered me up. Just watched us beat City 3-2

RaySmith

I do remember us just managing to beat Port Vale on our way to to the semi-final v Burnley in 1962, which we lost after a replay.

See Dave Metchick win a pen in the closing stages, after Tony  Macedo kept us in the game, and Jim Langley converting it to go through to the  quarter Final!

[youtube width=600]https://youtu.be/MFizyeyDiik[/youtube]

Sir Alec of good Stock

I remember the game well, it was as bad as it gets, but not surprising looking at the defence.

70sPimlico

Dr Know

Southdowns White

I went to all home games that season including that desperate performance and about half the away games, me and a few mates stayed up in Sheffield and Derbyshire for a few days when we played Doncaster away on the Saturday, then Chesterfield away on the Tuesday or Wednesday, It may have been the season before though. I seem to remember we lost both as was the normality in those days, we didn't seem to mind as much though as i think our expectations were never that great !

AnotherOldgit

Wasn't that the "Fulham Park Rangers" period. As I recall, the football itself was more or less irrelevant and I guess that had got through to the team. I still left at 5 Nil though!

filham

Somehow I have managed to wipe that game from my memory but clearly remember that Carr, Lewy, Coney and of course Ivor were good players and it is a shame they had to suffer such a defeat.

Tonywa

Quote from: RaySmith on March 30, 2020, 06:15:16 AM
I do remember us just managing to beat Port Vale on our way to to the semi-final v Burnley in 1962, which we lost after a replay.

See Dave Metchick win a pen in the closing stages, after Tony  Macedo kept us in the game, and Jim Langley converting it to go through to the  quarter Final!

[youtube width=600]https://youtu.be/MFizyeyDiik[/youtube]

That was my first ever Fulham game as a kid.  My Dad brought me along to the Cottage.

F(f)CUK

One of the few games that I left early

Dixie

I was 15 at the time and remember this one well, we used to get the 157 from Sutton and for some reason we were late for this one. I think we were already 2 down by the time we got to the ground. It was a terrible, yet fantastic time to be a Fulham supporter. Expectations were so low it was unbelievable, so any win was absolutely amazing! Every loss greeted with a sanguine shrug, it didn't get us down and i don't remember getting on the backs of any of the players or managers - despite the fact that we had some shockers! Jim Hicks being one of the worst to grace the Cottage turf...  and 'Beefy' Keith Oakes not far behind. But they always gave their all
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Plodder

Despite what I was seeing, I stayed for the entirety of the Port Vale game. I don't think I have ever left a game early. I remember seeing us lose a month or so earlier 0-5 at home to Chester City, and consoling myself as I left that I was extremely unlikely ever to see any worse home result than that ever again.....little did I know.....strange to think that the mighty Chester City have inflicted two of our most crushing defeats of all time on us (7-0 a couple of years later away - thankfully I rarely went to away matches).  I am still trying to make sense of how it was that in 1976 we lost 1-5 at home to Notts County, only to win our next home game 5-0 against Oldham Athletic. It is the sort of illogical thing which makes me happy to be a Fulham supporter.

res

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on March 29, 2020, 10:58:19 PM

Anyone at this awful game in 1987? We were pretty poor back then.

Be good to get someones feedback from this game, what it was like to be there, what was the current mood afterwards etc.

[youtube width=600]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ukk0xmSn3I[/youtube]

The mood was one of grim acceptance, there was almost a feeling of being "special" for turning up as part of the "collection" (couldn't really call it a crowd) of spectators. There was a strange feeling of togetherness with a recognition that some of the players were hapless and hopeless, but were giving their all. All part and parcel of the joys of supporting a club through lows and highs...wouldn't want it any other way.

Burt

That was a mercifully short video.