more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 02/04/20...

Started by WhiteJC, April 02, 2020, 08:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sadiq Khan writes to London Premier League, Championship teams asking for help

The Mayor of London has written to Premier League and Championship clubs in the capital requesting their assistance in the fight against coronavirus.

Top tier and EFL football has been suspended since March 19 in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19.

London has been badly hit by the coronavirus pandemic and City Hall, working alongside NHS colleagues, believes football clubs can help with providing access to facilities, accommodation and clinically trained personnel.

PA Graphics

Many are already working in the community and Sadiq Khan has written to 10 clubs across the top two divisions in the capital to ask to support the NHS during these "unprecedented times".

"London is currently at the forefront of the UK's response to slow the spread of coronavirus, and the Greater London Authority (GLA) is working hard to help support the NHS in London," the Mayor of London wrote to clubs.

"Whilst the NHS is currently doing a fantastic job in responding to the crisis, NHS staff are already feeling the additional strain, and that is why we need to give them the time, space and support they need to save the lives of Londoners.

London is currently at the forefront of the UK's response to slow the spread of coronavirus,

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan

"I am clear that I will do everything I can to support the capital during the coronavirus crisis, and that means giving the NHS the vital resources it needs to treat those in need. This is where I hope football clubs across London will be able to help."

Khan added: "I do not take such requests lightly, and I appreciate that this is a big ask in what is currently a challenging and uncertain time for many of London's football clubs.

"However, I am clear that we all need to unite and do what we can to support the NHS and protect the lives of Londoners in these most challenging of circumstances."

Khan wrote to Arsenal, Chelsea, Crystal Palace and West Ham, along with Championship teams Brentford, Fulham, Charlton, Millwall and QPR.

Tottenham did not receive a letter in this round as they are already working with City Hall, while Watford were not contacted as they are just out of the Greater London area.

The Mayor of London said in a statement: "As we work together to tackle the threat of coronavirus, the community spirit of London's football clubs has shone through.

"Many have already offered support and are assisting the response in their local communities.

"This week, I have written to the capital's Premier League and Championship clubs outlining what they can do to help our fantastic NHS and I'm grateful for the hugely positive response we have received."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/news/sadiq-khan-writes-to-london-premier-league-championship-teams-asking-for-help_395049.html

WhiteJC

Autism Awareness Week: Paul's Journey

As Fulham FC Foundation continues to celebrate Autism Awareness Week 2020, we turn to Active Autism Coach Paul Leconte to share his coaching journey.

When did you decide that you wanted to be a football coach?

The strange thing is that after college, I hadn't thought about becoming a football coach. It wasn't until a meeting with a Job Centre several years ago, in which they told me about Fulham FC Foundation's 'My Future Goal' programme. The course was designed to teach employability skills, and I also went on to gain my Level 1 in Football Coaching badge from it. It is still the best decision I've made, as this has helped me with my Autism in so many ways.

Can you tell us a bit about your journey with Fulham FC Foundation, following the My Future Goal programme?

I first became involved with Fulham foundation in February 2014 as a volunteer, working mainly on the Soccer School programmes, after school clubs, and some disability programmes. After passing my assessment with the Foundation to become a coach, I started working on after school clubs teaching football, tennis and multi-skills during the week. This is also when I started working on the Active Autism programme. I'm now Head Coach, and the coach that leads the Active Autism team when they go play at tournaments.

Can you share a highlight from your time on the Active Autism programme?

To be able to see the changes/difference we make to the participants' lives: not just giving them somewhere they can go and play and improve at football but to see their confidence grow, make friends and to feel included and part of something. I never had anything like this when I was growing up, so it is really rewarding to be able to give something that I never had.

When did you become Head Coach and how did it make you feel?

I became Head Coach on the 21st June 2019. It made me feel proud of myself, being able to start as a volunteer and work my way up to Head Coach.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/april/01/autism-awareness-week-pauls-journey

WhiteJC

Playing chess is secret behind Aleksandar Mitrovic not seeing red in four years

Aleksandar Mitrovic has admitted that he didn't know how to control his aggression in the past, but his favourite hobby of chess could be the reason for his recent composure on the pitch

Aleksandar Mitrovic became infamous for his short temper during his disappointing spell at Newcastle between 2015 and 2018, but he has been far more patience since signing for Fulham.

The 25-year-old received two red cards in his first season at St. James Park alongside eight yellows, but hasn't been given any further marching orders since May 2016.

The Serbia international has now given his thoughts over why that might be the case, and how he likes to relax at home.

When asked how he has gone almost four years without being dismissed, he told FourFourTwo : "I was young when I went to Newcastle, and didn't have much time to settle in.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has thrived since joining Fulham from Newcastle (Image: Getty Images)

"Everyone expected me to score straight away. When players come to England, they need time and support, and I didn't have it.

"We were fighting relegation and everyone expected me to play well. I tried to do everything out on the pitch – get assists, and run all over the place – and I didn't really know how to control myself or my aggression.

"As you get older, you start to learn. I still have aggression but I channel it correctly. I'm a winner and don't like to lose, even with my children!"

Before adding: "I'm the sort of guy who never relaxes. I can't read a book for long, I can't sit in one place for long, and I can't concentrate on one thing for long – I get bored really quickly.

"The only thing that can keep me focused for a couple of hours is chess! All of my family play it: my father, grandfather, uncle... it's a huge sport in Serbia and people play it a lot.

"It keeps me very calm. [FFT: Do you like to take on real people or a computer?] Both! [Reaches into pocket to reveal phone with chess app on his home screen] I play on my phone. I play online.

"When my father is here, I play against him – but I can't beat him... he's too good!"

Fulham sit third in the Championship table and six points behind the automatic promotion places, with Scott Parker's side in with a chance of an immediate return to the Premier League.

Aleksandar Mitrovic saw red twice in his debut season at Newcastle (Image: Getty Images)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/playing-chess-secret-behind-aleksandar-21795767

WhiteJC

Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk makes big claim that should interest Fulham and Celtic fans

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has claimed that Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen was the best player he played with at Celtic.

The Champions League-winning central defender spent two years with the Scottish giants before making his move to the Premier League with Southampton in 2015.

Van Dijk made 115 appearances for Celtic in total and helped them win two consecutive SPFL titles and one Scottish League Cup.

The Dutchman's time at Celtic Park overlapped with Johansen's and it appears that the central midfielder made a real impression on him.

Johansen arrived at the club six months after van Dijk and quickly became an integral part of the side.

The Norweigan was at his best during van Dijk's final year at the club, the 2015/16 season, as he scored 13 goals and grabbed 10 assists.

In a Q&A on Twitter, the Liverpool man was asked who the best player that he played alongside at Celtic was and he singled out Johansen.

Van Dijk left the club to join Southampton in September 2015 and the Norway international followed him into English football a year later – signing for Fulham in August 2016.

The 29-year-old has been fantastic for the Cottagers since – grabbing 21 goals and 22 assists in 133 games and missing just one league game during their promotion-winning season.

The Verdict

This is high praise indeed. Van Dijk is widely considered one of the best players in the world and won the UEFA Player of the Year award in 2019.

He played with some impressive players during his time at Celtic but it appears he rates Johansen above all of those, which is a big claim.

The Norway international has been in and out of the Fulham side since the turn of the year, so it appears that Scott Parker doesn't quite share his view.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/liverpools-virgil-van-dijk-makes-big-claim-that-should-interest-fulham-and-celtic-fans/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Joe Bryan makes bold claim involving Leeds United's Luke Ayling

Leeds United will have to put their promotion charge towards the Premier League on hold for the time being, with recent events calling a half to competitive action across the UK.

The Whites are currently sat top of the Championship, and with nine games remaining this season, they'll fancy their chances of making a timely return to the top-flight under the guidance of Marcelo Bielsa.

Bielsa's men have won their last five league matches, which has seen them move seven points clear of third-placed Fulham in the second tier standings.

Leeds ran out 2-0 winners in their last match against Huddersfield Town, with Luke Ayling opening the scoring with a stunning volley from inside the penalty area to set the Whites on their way to a deserved three points.

Ayling recently took to Instagram to hint that he was deserving of the Championship's Goal of the Month award for the strike against the Terriers.

The surprise packages of the EFL so far

Fulham full-back Joe Bryan was quick to respond to Ayling's social post, and claimed that it could be a contender for Goal of the Season, as opposed to the month, with the Leeds man being in agreement with the Cottagers defender in a hilarious exchange.

The Verdict:

It's certainly going to be a contender for the Championship's Goal of the Season.

Ayling has been well-known for being a threat at both ends of the pitch, but not even the most optimistic of Leeds United supporters would have predicted that he had that in his locker.

You couldn't have asked for a better connection with the ball, and it came as no surprise to see it beat Kamil Grabara in the Huddersfield goal.

If Ayling and his Leeds United team-mates can build on this impressive momentum that they've built in the Championship, then I can't see any teams stopping them in their quest to win promotion into the Premier League.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulhams-joe-bryan-makes-bold-claim-involving-leeds-uniteds-luke-ayling/

WhiteJC

Malcolm Macdonald: I'll always be eternally grateful to Luton Town for rescuing me from Fulham nightmare
Striker might have packed in the game if Hatters hadn't swooped

Former Town striker Malcolm Macdonald Copyright: Getty

Former Hatters striker Malcolm Macdonald declared he will always be 'eternally grateful' for his move to Luton Town from Fulham just over 50 years ago.

The forward had two prolific spells at Kenilworth Road after leaving what had been a miserable time at the Cottagers in 1969, going on to score 58 goals in 101 games for the Hatters.

That was enough to see Newcastle United, then in Division One, to part with £185,000 for his services, as he went on to have a superb career on Tyneside.

Macdonald, who started his career at Tonbridge Angels, also played for Arsenal and Djurgårdens IF in Sweden, winning 14 England caps, netting six goals too.

However, on his move to Kenilworth Road, signed by then manager Alec Stock, he said: "I'm eternally grateful to Luton Town for not only getting me out of an absolutely dreadfully dire situation, but giving me a real chance to forge a career for myself and Alec Stock I thought was absolutely brilliant.

"It was a good decision, firstly I had to get away from Fulham.

"I'd even been to see the chairman Tommy Trinder and I said, 'I have to go, otherwise I'll pack the game up if I have to.'

"I said 'I'm not going to go through it anymore, I'm on a pittance, I'm better off paying for Tonbridge, financially.'

"We'd just started pre-season and within three days of that meeting, I'd signed for Luton, so thank you very much.

"It was night and day, chalk and cheese going from Fulham to Luton.

"I felt right from the word go, I felt wanted, needed, loved, where none of that had applied at Fulham and that was my club.

"I'd seen my first game there when I was four, so Luton came as an absolute blessing and my career just absolutely took off.

"It was so good to play in a team in a dressing room that had such a brilliant spirit and everyone was really pulling together, whereas I'd known the total opposite back at Fulham.

"Alec Stock instilled in me and I think it can be used in any walk of life, never be satisfied with ordinary.

"You can push yourselves to lengths that you never realised you could go and when you're under that kind of pressure, you either fold or you work hard.

"I did the latter, so you aim for the moon and the stars."

On why it had been so bad at Craven Cottage, whom he had signed for from non-league Tonbridge, snapped up by former England boss Bobby Robson, Macdonald continued: "The manager of Tonbridge was Harry Haslam (who went on to manage Luton).

"I was there for 18 months and he left after the end of my first season and went to Fulham as Bobby Robson's chief scout.

"Harry said to Bobby Robson, 'sign Malcolm Macdonald from Tonbridge, he plays right back there, but he's left footed and he can play all over the place.'

"Harry phoned me up and said 'get yourself up to Fulham and you can see Bobby Robson.'

"I signed for Fulham and that was me getting my pro career off to a very miserable start I have to say.

"As Bobby, bless him, this was his first job and he was managing all his old team-mates.

"I learned a lesson of my life, never, ever manage old team-mates and they were absolutely brutal with him.

"He had put me in the side and played me upfront, I played six games and scored five goals.

"I've scored this goal against Crystal Palace, so we weren't going to reach the dreaded 1,000 minute mark without a goal, and only one player came and congratulated me, all the rest pretty much turned their backs.

"I thought, 'oh dear, there is a problem here,' and within a few weeks, Bobby Robson was sacked and I was dropped.

Macdonald was quickly on his way to Luton and found the whole experience, both on and off the field a great deal more to his liking.

He added: "There was a great camaraderie, not just in the dressing room, but all around.

"There was no players room, there was the Hatters club that was a new building they had put on the back of the stand, and it was a big bar and dance-floor and everyone just got in there, supporters, players and we all mingled.

"After a Luton game, I would be there talking with supporters, about the game itself. There was no segregation, and I didn't think anything of it, it was just part of it."

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/malcolm-macdonald-ill-always-be-eternally-grateful-luton-town-rescuing-me-fulham-nightmare-2525315