watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Things that have changed while working from home and Isolation

Started by Abbotsbury White, April 01, 2020, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbotsbury White

Having your normal routine change almost overnight has had many consequences for many people, but on a slightly more light hearted note a few things I have noticed since isolation and working from home that either havent happened to me before or not for  a while are-

I am coming straight out with this, I have had to use hand moisturiser for the 1st time ever! I had been washing my hands so many times all my knuckles actually dried up and cracked up, luckily Mrs Mo has a healthy supply.

Secondly I have actually lost weight , doing my one a day walk and an outdoor workout daily(rather than spending luch time working In office), not going to the pub and just being worried to bits , eating less have probably helped.

Thirdly as I am not using my car, motorbike, going to pub, etc etc I am saving a couple of quid.

Fourth thing is I now queue to get in a shop but once in it's bliss, aisles empty, no one crashing their trollies into you and walk straight up to check out no queue, maybe this should be the default setting for future shopping.

Anyone else noticing similiar?
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

ffcne

Some people still have a job and are getting paid during this lockdown,
Many have lost their jobs.
I am self employed so work gone.
And no guarantee it will come back soon.

Would make a hell of a difference to my mindset if i was getting paid
to be at home.

Abbotsbury White

Quote from: ffcne on April 01, 2020, 11:48:45 AM

to be at home.
[sorry to hear bout the job situation ffcne, as someone who works for the NHS and is quarantined and who's wife is now out of work along very soon to be followed my my son who has spent years working his way through many exams to become an aeroplane engineer I am aware it's a dark time and did not mean to make light]
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

ffcne

Quote from: Mo on April 01, 2020, 12:32:03 PM
Quote from: ffcne on April 01, 2020, 11:48:45 AM

to be at home.
[sorry to hear bout the job situation ffcne, as someone who works for the NHS and is quarantined and who's wife is now out of work along very soon to be followed my my son who has spent years working his way through many exams to become an aeroplane engineer I am aware it's a dark time and did not mean to make light]

Sorry was not directly aimed at you .And i am probably better off than others..
Though i am rather envious of some public sector workers. 
But certainly not of frontline NHS workers.

bobby01

Just to join in with a little moan, not directed at anyone personally but at the system. I also am self employed and the system from the government gives me nothing, work has now stopped completely.
I like probably most self employed workers have always put rainy day money away, however when you hit a situation like this your "savings" go against you getting any benefits.
I have an additional problem in that in June last year I had a total knee replacement that kept me off work for 4 months as I did not have the power needed to be able to do my job, so that has left my rainy day fund very low.
I am not looking for sympathy from anyone,😂, but as one of the 5 million self employed, I would say that whenever anyone now asks me about being self employed I say think carefully my friends as everything seems stacked against us in good times and bad.
That all being said, everybody please stay safe, your health is more important than anything,
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

gang

Is this scheme available to you? hopefully it is.

The government will pay self-employed people a taxable grant of 80% of their average monthly profits over the last three years.
The grant will be open to people with trading profits of up to £50,000.
Pressure had grown on the government to act to help self-employed people.

H4usuallysitting

Yep, I'm also self employed....HMRC should contact you directly for a payment due around June.... it's around 80% of average profit....backdated to 01 March

fcfulham55

I work from home but its actually got much better for me. Everyones health is important but has anyone else enjoyed the volatility in the markets?.  Been staying in cash but trading in bands, and not to sound too arrogant as I'm lucky to be mortgage free at 31.  But I have made enough for our next move without having to take out a mortgage with some really big wins over the last few months.  Really fortunate to have enough to get by for a while as my bills are very Low, can feed myself wife and 2 kids under 100 pound a week.  Especially as we're not eating our or getting take aways.

As of today though, I'm leaving profits in (free ride trading if you like)  to begin to grow my portfolio back.  Would be interested to hear other traders views.   I have been trading with most my money on the sidelines for almost 2 years now, but feel from these levels long term most will recover nicely.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Statto

Quote from: fcfulham55 on April 01, 2020, 05:58:06 PM
I'm lucky to be mortgage free at 31

An awful lot of people are mortgage free at 31 these days.... Generally because they still live with their parents!!
:drums:

Out of interest, did you become mortgage free from trading or some other source of wealth?

Forever Fulham

I have a 38 lb. mini Golden Doodle.  For the first 5 years of its life, it would follow me every work day morning to the access door to my garage, watch me say goodbye and leave.  My wife said the dog would often start wandering down the hallway, back to the same door, around 4:40 every day and wait for me.  I'd get home around 6:30-7 p.m., and by the time I turned the door knob, the dog would have heard the engine and positioned herself by the door, tail wagging.  Then, she'd go immediately to the second step of the stairs next to the kitchen and sit, waiting for me to put my stuff down, sit with her, give her a rub and word, and then get back up and unwind from another hard day at work.  My wife and I marveled at this little ritual of the dog.  So touching.  And the dog would then split her time between husband and wife, obviously preferring when we were all together in the same room. 

But then the virus spread happened.  And my employer told us to work from home, didn't want us all at the office (which when you think of it is a kind of giant plastic baggie, a perfect construct for spreading a virus that can produce asymptomatic or reduced-symptoms infection).  So three weeks or so ago, I'd get up, take a shower, throw on my stay at home clothes, make myself a cup of tea and some quick breakfast, and head upstairs to my 'computer room' where I'd turn on my laptop and start working remotely.  The dog who had spent her first five years under a different routine, lost her mind.   She follows me everywhere now.  Gets under my chair or lies on top of my feet.  And doesn't move.  She even follows me into the bathroom.  My wife is very upset about this.  She loves that dog without limit.  Dotes on her.  Yet the dog follows me around.  I tell her the dog doesn't love me any more than she loves her.  That she must think I lost my job, and soon she'll be forced to eat Old Roy or Purina Dog Chow as we have to cut back.  I appreciate her affection and all, but it's causing some unhappiness with my wife.  "I do everything for her, and she's become YOUR dog!"   I'm convinced I'm just a novelty act to the dog right now.  In no time she'll be dividing her time equally again.  I sure hope so.

toshes mate

Quote from: Forever Fulham on April 01, 2020, 09:20:05 PM
I have a 38 lb. mini Golden Doodle ...
Having had dogs in my life for decades there are explanations for this presenting behaviour courtesy of the dog expert of the common or garden animal psychologist.  Most dogs appear to naturally select a pack leader and behaviourists can usually identify this leader by blowing a dog whistle (or something else that alarms animals) in proximity to the dog(s) and their human family causing the dog(s) to move close to the side of their leader.  It's the dog's way of expressing who it see's as the dominant influence on them and is especially noticeable in breeds noted for being 'one person dogs'.  Sometimes it's a male leader will select and sometimes it's female leader but it is simply natural selection at work for a pack animal.  Dogs apparently see going out of the house without them as a special 'hunting ability' they have not yet achieved and they accept the 'hunter' as being their superior, rather than another member of the pack.   If the whole household goes out to work then it is often the first one to leave or last to return that gets picked.   

davew

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 01, 2020, 05:50:53 PM
Yep, I'm also self employed....HMRC should contact you directly for a payment due around June.... it's around 80% of average profit....backdated to 01 March
Not sure that everybody will receive an amount back dated to 1 March, I would have thought that the effective date would be the date that the person stopped work or the 1 March whichever is the latest? I haven´t been able to find the small print relating to the support scheme(s) announced.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

ffcne

Quote from: davew on April 02, 2020, 10:39:39 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 01, 2020, 05:50:53 PM
Not sure that everybody will receive an amount back dated to 1 March, I would have thought that the effective date would be the date that the person stopped work or the 1 March whichever is the latest? I haven´t been able to find the small print relating to the support scheme(s) announced.

I think it will be a lump some for 3 months March/April/May based on the criteria they want.
Average of 80% 3 previous tax returns profit calculated for a monthly figure or just 18/19 return if you havent 3, 
And not exceeding £2500 per month or anyone earning more than £50k per anum
Also HMRC will contact us .And paid in June.

fcfulham55

Quote from: Statto on April 01, 2020, 06:10:44 PM
Quote from: fcfulham55 on April 01, 2020, 05:58:06 PM
I'm lucky to be mortgage free at 31

An awful lot of people are mortgage free at 31 these days.... Generally because they still live with their parents!!
:drums:

Out of interest, did you become mortgage free from trading or some other source of wealth?

I live outside London expensive but not as expensive, me and my Mrs saved hard,  I began trading from 19 years old and got lucky as we've had a good period post credit crunch crisis.

Lost lots and gained lots on the AIM market,  very risky. But luckily made a decent amount for a good deposit on a average half decent house  where I live then just made over payments until our term needed then paid off more/ eventually finishing it!.

I

Sent from my Nokia 3310

YankeeJim

I've notice some strange things. As an example, on my last visit to the grocery, I picked up two quarts of ice cream rather than one since I didn't plan on going back out until absolutely necessary. I don't know if it is some strange law of physics but did you know, two quarts of ice cream only last as long as a single quart? Odd, don't you think?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: YankeeJim on April 02, 2020, 05:43:06 PM
I've notice some strange things. As an example, on my last visit to the grocery, I picked up two quarts of ice cream rather than one since I didn't plan on going back out until absolutely necessary. I don't know if it is some strange law of physics but did you know, two quarts of ice cream only last as long as a single quart? Odd, don't you think?

That's why my wife hates it when I bring in potato chips or crackers.   They tend to disappear fast. :)