more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 11/04/20...

Started by WhiteJC, April 11, 2020, 07:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

How Twitter Changed Football

Twitter is a reliable source of entertainment on the day after a Fulham game. However, Twitter, and other social media channels, have changed football; how we watch it and who we watch it with – writes Marco De Novellis

I once sent a tweet after a Fulham home game which backfired. For the rest of the day, my phone buzzed with a healthy stream of abuse. At first it was funny; then annoying; then a bit depressing.

Each time I tried to ignore my phone, the Twitter app lured me in. Hundreds of angry young men and women were taking time out to offer their perspectives. I was a disgrace, ignorant, and strangely salty. All this over a game of football.

Twitter, and other social media platforms, have changed football and football fandom in a way that's both entertaining and damaging too. Twitter has changed the consumption of football; how we interact with the club we support; with each other as fans; and what we can and can't say.

The Good: Idiots on Twitter
After putting my head in a virtual stocks, I was back on Twitter the next day, sifting through the musings of contemporary artists like Bootlegger, Naked Martin, and Arsenal Fan TV.

What Twitter has done is allow the lunatics to take over the asylum. At every club now, previously unknown fans have become minor celebrities because of what they say and share on Twitter.

From Robbie Lyle to Andy Tate, these are the 'made men' of modern football; outspoken but conflicted characters; both part of the core fanbase but separate to it; both lauded and ridiculed. These are the people you see at games who you know everything about, but you've never properly met.

However, Twitter has also enabled a new fan culture in a positive way. It's licenced the mobilizing of fan groups and giving modern day football fansβ€”both as individuals and as a groupβ€”some form of agency, if not real power.

Twitter has given fans a stronger cohesive voice which can drive positive change; adding weight to campaigns for cheaper ticket prices, safe standing, mental health awareness, against homophobia, and uniting in support for fellow football fans affected by tragedy.

At Fulham, we've seen fans elevate Junior, the Riverside Stand flag-bearer, to cult hero status. We've seen supporters come together to back Fulhamish's very own Stop The Greed campaign and the excellent work of Lee Adams, who organises lengthy walks to Fulham games to raise money for the charity CALM, which works to prevent male suicide. To varying extents, these initiatives change people's lives for the better.

The Bad: Groupthink
However, the same united voice Twitter gives football fans can be a negative too. Groupthink, a term coined by George Orwell in 1984, describes a psychological phenomenon where individuals within a group make irrational, even immoral, decisions due to their overwhelming desire for conformity.

On Twitter, you can carefully craft a world (your feed) in which everyone has the same opinions as youβ€”just look at people's Twitter feeds during an election campaign. Reinforcing one's own views in this way can feed extreme and misinformed views.

When someone is accused of a wrongdoing on Twitter – sometimes wrongly – a witch-hunt ensues. They are hounded online; addresses leaked, jobs lost, and lives impacted.

Whether or not these people have done the things they're accused of, they should be judged through the official channels; not by the mob; not by the virtue-signaling crusaders whose actions are often as reprehensible as the original action itself.

In a social-media environment, it's tougher to go against the grain. As soon as enough people say 'Wenger Out', for example, the sentiment sticks. Before long, people are holding up signs at the darts, Trump rallies, and rugby tournaments in Hong Kong.

Whilst it's unlikely similar messages about our own manager would spread this globally, once a wave of sentiment begins it's a very difficult tide to turn.

Managers' jobs are at the mercy of irrational fan opinion. Waves of antipathy towards managers and players verge on personal abuse. As a result, most people within football are forced into privacy, with any minor misdemeanor punished by smart phones and a shaming culture online. In this climate, the division between footballer and fan grows ever wider.

Yet understanding what you can and can't say on social media isn't always so clear cut. Take the case of Paul Chambers, a 20-something who joked that he would blow up Robin Hood Airport, near Doncaster, after it was closed by snow in January 2010.

Chambers ended up in court, lost his job, and was only cleared after a second appeal at the High Court, backed by supporters including comedians Al Murray and Stephen Fry.

I've seen reports of Fulham fans being banned by the club for what they've posted on Twitter. Without wishing to comment or speculate on who's in the right in this specific scenario, the potential to be banned for speaking your mind or punished for making jokes on Twitter leaves me uneasy.

Whilst there is nothing to excuse the impact of trolling or bullying online, what you can and can't say at football remains a complex debate.

The Conclusion: It's a Changing Game
So often, at Fulham and especially at bigger clubs, there's a difference of opinion between fans who attend games and those who don'tβ€”look at United away fans' dedication to Ole and respectful support for Mourinho, for example.

That's because the majority of fans who don't attend games live, don't watch the full 90 minutes on TV. Instead, they scroll through the Twitter posts of others; of Arsenal Fan TV nuts ranting over their latest scapegoat; of GIFs and clips of goals, skills, and freekicks; of links to YouTube player highlight reels.

Instead of forming their own opinions, these fans conform to Groupthink and a mindset where every win or loss is amplified and where opinion shifts wildly from one result to another. One day Parker is in; the next day Parker is out.

Yes, football has always been this way. But the internet, and social media platforms like Twitter, have amplified this ten times over.

Does it matter? Not really. If you're aware of the pitfalls, the dangers and the depths of the depravity on Twitter; if you don't take it too seriously and if you know when to put the app down; mostly, it's a laugh, and sometimes it can even be a force for good.

Football is a volatile industry, and Twitter has just added fuel to the madness.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-04-10-how-twitter-changed-football/

WhiteJC

Fulham man lined up for reunion with former club

Besiktas are considering an attempt to re-sign goalkeeper Fabri from Fulham in the January transfer window, a report from a print edition of Turkish outlet Takvim has claimed.

Fabri made the move to Craven Cottage from Besiktas back in the summer of 2018, but has since made just two appearances for the club, and was loaned out to Mallorca at the end of the last summer transfer window, although he has so far made only one solitary league appearance for the La Liga relegation battlers.

Now it appears as though a return to Turkey could potentially be an option for the 32-year-old, with the latest reports claiming that Besiktas are weighing up a move for Fabri come the summer transfer window.

It is also said that the Turkish giants are contemplating a move for fellow goalkeeper Sinan Bolat, who currently plays for Royal Antwerp in Belgium, as they look to add to their options between the posts ahead of next season.

There is currently just over a year remaining on Fabri's current contract with Fulham, securing his future at Craven Cottage until the end of next season, although the club do have the option of extending that deal by a further 12 months.

Prior to his transfer to Fulham, Fabri had made 87 appearances in all competitions for Besiktas during a two-year spell with the club, where he helped them win the Turkish top-flight title in the 2016/17 season.

The Verdict

This may not be a bad move for Fabri.

It doesn't look as though he has any chance of making an impact at Fulham, so a move elsewhere ought to suit him, as he looks for more regular game time.

A return to Besiktas, a club he is already familiar with, could be a good place for him to do that, and you feel Fulham could also be open to such a move to allow them to raise some funds from a player who hasn't really contributed to their cause during his time with them.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-man-lined-up-for-reunion-with-former-club/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Fans discuss Michael Hector

Some Fulham fans have been discussing their central defender Michael Hector on social media after the club shared some clips of the 27-year-old doing what he does best.

The Jamaican international arrived at Craven Cottage from Chelsea in a deal reportedly worth Β£5.31m and has played 11 times for Scott Parker's side in the Championship so far, starting in 92% of the club's league fixtures since his arrival.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/04/twitter/fulham-fans-discuss-michael-hector/

WhiteJC

Portsmouth Relived

This Sunday we are reliving Fulham's momentous trip to Fratton Park on the final day of the 2007/08 season.

Thanks to a brilliant end to the campaign, our destiny was in our own hands as we headed to Portsmouth. Win, and Premier League safety was guaranteed. Anything less, and Reading or Birmingham City could sneak above us.

The full 90 minutes of the game will be available on fulhamfc.com this Sunday. Hit play at 3pm and you can also follow our Twitter updates of the game in real time.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/april/10/portsmouth-relived

WhiteJC

Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday wanted former Barnsley star Hourihane before Aston Villa switch

Speaking on The Athletic's Going Up, Going Down Podcast, midfielder Conor Hourihane has revealed that Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday were interested in signing him from Barnsley before he opted to sign for Aston Villa.

Irish midfielder Conor Hourihane left Barnsley to sign for Aston Villa in the January transfer window of 2017, leaving to sign for Steve Bruce's Villans with six months remaining on his deal at Oakwell. Hourihane had been a star performer for Barnsley and fans were sad to see the back of a player who had become a standout star in his two-and-a-half years with the club.

Hourihane registered 31 goals and 48 assists in 134 appearances for the club before leaving for Villa and now, he has spoken out about his exit from the Tykes.

The Villa midfielder revealed that both Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham were keen for him to see out his deal with Barnsley so they could sign him on a free transfer, revealing that he didn't go to Sheffield Wednesday as he didn't want to ruin his relationship with Barnsley. Speaking to The Athletic's Going Up, Going Down Podcast, he said:

"There was some other clubs who said if I saw my contract out they'd want to sign me on a free in the summer. This was way back in probably December time. I've no problem saying it, it was Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham all the way until probably coming up to Christmas time.

"I thought 'I can't go to Sheffield Wednesday, no way'. I'd ruin the relationship I'd got with the club. Did I want to go down to London to Fulham? I wasn't sure at the time. Then around Christmas time Bruce and Villa came in and I thought 'I don't think I can turn down Villa'.

"You never know what can happen if I'd stayed till the summer with six months to go on my contract: I could get injured, I could lose form. Villa just felt like the right fit. It wasn't too far away from Sheffield where I was quite settled and loved the city living there, and it just felt like the right club to go to."

Since signing for Villa in January 2017, Hourihane has played 137 times for the club, scoring 28 goals and providing 19 assists along the way.

https://the72.co.uk/160365/fulham-and-sheffield-wednesday-wanted-former-barnsley-star-hourihane-before-aston-villa-switch/

WhiteJC

Fulham Communicate Transfer Message To Galatasaray

Fulham have informed Galatasaray that they will only consider selling loanee Jean Michael Seri this summer.

Seri has been on loan at the Turkish giants from Fulham since last summer and has been a key part of their squad during the course of the season.Β 

Galatasaray do have an option to buy him, but have instead been looking to keep him on a fresh loan agreement.

However, Fulham are now claimed to have taken that options off the table as they look for a more permanent solution on Sari.

According to Eurosport France, Fulham have made it clear to Galatasaray that another loan deal for the midfielder is out of question this summer.

The Turkish giants have been informed that Fulham will only consider selling the player in the coming months.

He still has a contract until 2022, but Seri appears to have no long term future at Craven Cottage and may not be keen to play in the Championship.

Fulham look to want a clean break with the player and not farm him out on another loan deal this summer.

Read more: http://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/04/10/fulham-communicate-transfer-message-to-galatasaray/456200/#ixzz6JHgQcDLS

WhiteJC

Bristol City's Dan Bentley makes big claim about Fulham player

Bristol City goalkeeper Dan Bentley has revealed that Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic is the toughest forward he's come up against in the Championship.

Bentley, 26, swapped Brentford for Bristol City last summer. He'd been an ever-present in the Bees first-team for three seasons before heading to Ashton Gate, as David Raya made his move from Blackburn to Brentford.

He's so far played in all but two of his side's Championship games this season, and has proved one of Lee Johnson's better signings with some credible performances throughout the course of the campaign.

Today, Bristol City ran a Twitter Q&A with the stopper, and one question was; 'who is the best striker you've faced in the Championship?'

He replied:

"Tough question again, but I'd probably go Aleksandar Mitrovic. He's always a handful, you always know that you're going to be in for a tough day when you play against him. There's quite a few other names but he was probably the one who stuck out most."

The Serb has blown away the Championship, with 23 goals in 34 league appearances and 11 goals for Serbia, the 25-year-old is already on 35 goals for club and country in the 2019/20 season.

Fulham's last game was at Ashton Gate, but Mitrovic couldn't find the net – Tom Cairney salvaged a late point after Nahki Wells' second-half opener, finishing 1-1.

Bentley probably isn't alone in saying that Mitrovic is the best striker he's faced in the second-tier. We've not seen someone be so prolific in the Championship for years, but Mitrovic is a truly world class goal-scorer.

The verdict

Fulham have a world-beater in Mitrovic, and he's arguably the reason why they currently sit in 3rd-place of the Championship table.

Bentley meanwhile has been a solid member of Johnson's first-team this year, and Bristol City could easily snatch a spot in the top-six when the season resumes.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bristol-citys-dan-bentley-makes-big-claim-about-fulham-player/

WhiteJC

Five best Fulham players this season so far

Fulham have both potential and threat as a side and that is why they have always been there or thereabouts when it comes to promotion over recent campaigns in the Sky Bet Championship. Relegation from the Premier League in 2013/14 saw an end to a 13-season run in English football's top-tier where they finished a best of 7th in 2008/09.

Initially struggling to readjust to Championship football, Fulham floundered at first but greater consistency has seen them promoted back to the Premier League for last season, a season where they were relegated in 19th place and one where they went through two managers before appointing incumbent Scott Parker. Parker has steered the Cottagers to a current 3rd in the table, heading the playoffs but six points behind 2nd place West Brom.

With the wait going on as to when the season will fire up again amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, here are the top five Fulham players so far in the 2019/20 campaign.

1. Aleksander Mitrovic: Serbian striker Mitrovic cost Fulham Β£22m+ when they signed him from Newcastle United at the end of a successful loan across January-May 2018 that saw the London outfit promoted to the Premier League. Despite their subsequent relegation back to the Championship, Fulham has managed to keep a hold of their prized asset. That has proven wise with Mitrovic at the head of the Cottagers charge to third in the table.
Played – 34, Goals – 23, Assists – 1 – Starting XI – 92% – Team minutes played – 92%

2. Tom Cairney: Club captain Cairney has been one of Fulham's most consistent performers across recent seasons and he's kept that consistency up his season. With a long-term contract, until 2024 tucked under his belt, the 29-year-old Nottingham-born attacking midfielder has been putting in the cultured displays that Fulham fans have come to expect from him.
Played – 33, Goals – 8, Assists – 3 – Starting XI – 89% – Team minutes played – 85%

3. Ivan Cavaleiro: Portuguese flyer Cavaleiro joined Fulham in a permanent Β£10.6m deal in early January this year after the Cottagers had paid an initial Β£5.3m loan deal for the first part of the season. Another player with a long-term, 2024 deal in his back pocket, the talented Cavaleiro has displayed just what a threat he can be with a series of eye-catching displays.
Played – 36, Goals – 6, Assists – 7 – Starting XI – 86% – Team minutes played – 81%

4. Joe Bryan: Bryan signed on at Craven Cottage from Bristol City in early-August 2018 for a fee of Β£6m. It is a deal that runs for another two years, Fulham retaining an option for a further year. The current campaign has seen the left-back feature 35 times although he is currently listed as injured with a thigh problem.
Played – 35, Goals – 1, Assists – 7 – Starting XI – 89% – Team minutes played – 85%

5. Aboubakar Kamara: French striker-cum-winger Kamara came to the London club from SC Amiens for Β£5.4m at the end of July 2017. Half of last season was spent out on loan at Turkish side Yeni Malatyaspor but this season he's chosen to stay and play in the Championship. In truth, it's a decision that has benefitted Fulham. Despite the limited game time, the 25-year-old has played a big part in Fulham's move up the table to 3rd.
Played – 24, Goals – 10, Assists – 4 – Starting XI – 22% – Team minutes played – 27%

https://the72.co.uk/160335/five-best-fulham-players-this-season-so-far/

WhiteJC

'He had an aura about him': the day Michael Jackson visited Fulham

On 10 April 1999 the King of Pop turned up and Fulham's players were not dressed for the occasion when he came in after the match

Michael Jackson on the Craven Cottage pitch with Fulham's owner, Mohamed Al Fayed. Photograph: Back Page Images/Shutterstock

On 10 April 1999, a little under two years since their takeover by Mohamed Al Fayed, Fulham were a third-tier club being propelled remorselessly upwards, running away with the league title – they were 16 points clear, with seven games to go – inspired by Kevin Keegan and rocket-fuelled by their owner's chequebook.

Still, Keegan apart they were short of superstars. Their record transfer and most famous player was Chris Coleman – at Β£2.1m his was the highest fee paid by a third division club, a record beaten only when Sunderland signed Will Grigg 21 years later. The Welsh centre-back was a fine defender but not exactly box office, though they also had the Belgium international Philippe Albert, another centre-back, on loan from Newcastle. Hugh Grant, whose most successful film, Notting Hill, would be premiered in Leicester Square later that month, stood alone as their most famous fan. And then Michael Jackson turned up.

The home fixture against Wigan, then seventh in the division, attracted 12,140 to the banks of the Thames and one of them was the King of Pop, whom Fayed coaxed to Craven Cottage after spending the morning showing him around the toy department of Harrods, which the Fulham chairman also owned.

"I remember warming up, and then Fayed was leading him around the pitch," the goalkeeper Maik Taylor recalls. "It was a glorious day, very hot, and he had an umbrella up, waving and clapping the fans. Obviously we paused our warm-up. He did have an aura about him and we were blown away by it all."

Not every Fulham player was quite so overwhelmed. Indeed, some didn't even notice. Speaking to the media after the match, the striker Barry Hayles admitted that "I didn't find out he was here until we were warming down after the game. I shook his hand and posed for photos with him. He just said: 'Good game lads.'"

Michael Jackson watches Fulham beat Wigan. Photograph: Mark Leech/Offside/Getty Images

More seasoned football-watchers agreed that it most certainly was not a good game, but Fulham had done well enough to beat a defensive Wigan 2-0. "It was not a classic and I thought they'd come here with more ambition," said Keegan. Afterwards Fayed brought his special guest to meet the players.

"I was about to start my team talk when Mr Fayed marched into the dressing room with a big grin on his face, followed by a tall, rake-thin guy who looked a bit like Michael Jackson," Keegan – who seems to remember the visit taking place pre-match – wrote in his autobiography, My Life in Football. "He smiled shyly, then I heard him say 'Hey' and it dawned on me that, crikey, this was the real Michael Jackson. It was pointless trying to continue with my team-talk – the players weren't listening to a word – so I walked the King of Pop through the corridors of the old Stevenage Road stand to make him a cup of tea in the players' lounge."

Fulham's then manager, Kevin Keegan, with Maik Taylor. Photograph: Andy Budd/Action Images

"Most of us were half-naked, having showers, in good spirits because we'd won," says Taylor. "Al Fayed was a great character and great among the lads in the dressing room. He came in leading Michael Jackson, and his quote, which made us all howl hysterically, as he came in was: 'Hide your willies boys.' He came in and met the guys briefly, then we all agreed to get our clothes on and go back out on to the pitch to have our photos with him.

"We all got a signed photo of him with the team – I don't have it on the wall or anything, but I've still got it. At that point he's one of most famous guys on the planet. I'm still a fan now of his music – I've been to watch the musical Thriller in London; incredible talent."

After the game Jackson gave an interview to the Mirror, in which he described Fayed as "very wise and creative, talented and kind-hearted, very giving". Though the game, and particularly the scoreless first half, was by no means a thriller the singer seemed impressed.

A statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage is removed in 2013. Photograph: John Stillwell/PA

"I knew nothing about soccer and I've never been to any sporting event, so it was a great experience for me," he said. "I'm a soccer fan now, definitely. I'm addicted. It was so exciting and passionate – the fans were like the people who come to my concerts. They were screaming and shouting and cheering their players on. I wanted to jump up and start dancing because I'm used to performing on stage when I hear all that noise. Fulham seemed a really good team with a great spirit. I met all the players and they were so kind to me."

Fulham were promoted three days later, when they beat Gillingham 3-0, and made it to the top flight in 2001. Jackson never returned to the club (though there was an even more unexpected visit to Exeter City in 2002), but after the singer's death his visit was commemorated with a controversial statue, which stood outside Craven Cottage for a little under three years before being returned to Fayed in 2013 by Fulham's new owner, Shahid Khan.

"I was long gone when the statue arrived," says Taylor. "But I still tell people the story of the day I met Jacko. It's something people aren't aware of. It was short and sweet, but it was amazing to meet him and that was it, really."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/10/the-day-michael-jackson-visited-fulham-king-of-pop

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday: Fans discuss whether or not their club should have 'broke the bank to keep Michael Hector'

Sheffield Wednesday-focused Twitter account @Owlstalk recently posted a tweet asking Wednesday supporters whether they think the club should have broken the bank to keep ex-defender Michael Hector at the club or not.

@Owlstalk's recent post has caught the attention of many Wednesday fans, some of whom have cited the player's price tag as the determining factor behind the club not making the former Owls loanee a Wednesday player on a permanent basis.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/04/twitter/sheffield-wednesday-fans-discuss-whether-or-not-their-club-should-have-broke-the-bank-to-keep-michael-hector/

WhiteJC

It's a Knockaert!

French midfielder tops Group 10 of Albion's World Cup of Goals.

Anthony Knockaert netted a memorable winner against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in the 2-1 win back in March 2019, adding to Glenn Murray's equally impressive strike before the break.

Knokcaert cut in from the right-hand side and unleashed an unstoppable effort into the top corner to seal a vital three points for the Seagulls.

It was enough to get your vote in the latest round of our World Cup of Goals.

He joins Sebastien Pocognoli, Robbie Reinelt, Elliott Bennett, Florin Andone, Jimmy Case, Steve Sidwell, Leonardo Ulloa, Inigo Calderon and Will Buckley in the knockout stages.

Knockaert's goal earned 68% of your vote, with Adam Virgo in second place with 16%.

Kazenga LuaLua was in third place with 11% and Jake Forster-Caskey was fourth with 5%.

Supporters will be able to decide who wins Group 11 of the tournament from 12 noon on Saturday when Vicente, Chris Iwelumo, David Lopez and Ashley Barnes are all in contention.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1654879/its-a-knockaert

WhiteJC

Will teams blooding youngsters have a post-coronavirus advantage?

Arsenal are one of the clubs giving minutes to young players CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

Through football's coronavirus hiatus, we are committed to providing a weekly newsletter of facts, analysis and retrospectives. If there is a topic you want us to cover please email [email protected]. Above all, stay safe.

The coronavirus crisis risks draining all liquidity from football's transfer market, meaning those teams with their eye on an expansive rebuild might need to come up with contingencies.

If the market is stagnant whenever the next window opens, promoting academy products to fill squad roles could be a necessity and the teams who have already started this process may have an advantage.

Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal impressed this season by giving minutes to players aged 21 or younger, behind only Norwich City whose collection of talent is likely to attract admirers.

While there are always high hopes for academy players establishing themselves in the first-team, those players can also be a valuable financial resource when the market picks up again.

Chelsea have been trading a vast number of players for many years, enabling them to balance the books in an era of financial fair play and fund more high-profile purchases. Liverpool also sold young talent at a hefty premium, with the sales of Jordan Ibe and Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth putting Β£44 million in the coffers.

Norwich run the tightest ship in the Premier League, with a wage bill of just Β£54 million, but the loss of matchday revenue during football's suspension β€” and likely relegation β€” could mean selling the likes of Ben Godfrey, Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis or Todd Cantwell.

The presence of former players Frank Lampard, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Mikel Arteta in managerial roles and the patience afford them by supporters is one factor in the proliferation of youngsters at their clubs. The dominance of Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool and Pep Guardiola's Manchester City also means there is little prospect of winning the title in the near future, so rearming for the future makes more sense.

Reece James, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Billy Gilmour, Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood, Matteo Guendouzi, Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli all have the potential to be fixtures at Chelsea, United and Arsenal for seasons to come.

One intriguing aspect of the coronavirus shutdown is how an extended period without matches or collective training will affect youngsters. These are supposed to be the formative months and years of their career, when they learn the requirements of top-level football and absorb information like sponges. Just how much potential will be lost?

Unlike when a young player is out injured though, rival players at their own club and elsewhere are also out of action so they are not losing ground on the competition.

http://m.email3.telegraph.co.uk/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40M%2FarUYbdiFHy7%2FvIMAeZeMma9TAviSBmyGj%2F3alZUfs%3D&WT.mc_id=e_DM1232537&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Pre_New_1819&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Pre_New_181920200410&utm_campaign=DM1232537