watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Kane really worth 200M?

Started by Logicalman, April 13, 2020, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Interesting to read that Sky will not be asking for a refund on the portion of monies they have paid up front for those matches postpones or cancelled, but will withhold the prepayment due mid summer for the next season. Apparently the FA will be slightly financially embarrassed if this occurs. Perhaps they will see sense and lobby the government for matches behind locked gates, so they can - at least - be televised. No, it won't be the same, for players or fans, but it will provide some relief for those fans needing their weekly dose to keep sane.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

filham

The £200m put on Kane's head is a figure Spurs have cooked up and fed to the media in order to warn of poachers and designed to ensure Kane is at Spurs for at least another season.

Fulham should do something similar for Mitro.

Logicalman

Quote from: filham on April 15, 2020, 10:06:02 AM
The £200m put on Kane's head is a figure Spurs have cooked up and fed to the media in order to warn of poachers and designed to ensure Kane is at Spurs for at least another season.

I do wonder, however, whether Kane is a sacrificial lamb for Levy's 1bn stadium cost 'overdraft' considering the revenues have all dried up. It was the cost that was obscene in all of this, just so Levy could leave a legacy (other than being the ugly sibling to their North London rivals)
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Woolly Mammoth

It is not necessary whether Harry Kane is worth the fee, it is what clubs are prepared to pay to get the man they want. That goes for any player. Tottenham Hotspur are asking for 200k, if a club is prepared to pay that amount then so be it. Market forces dictate as well as how desperate is a club to get their man.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Twig on April 13, 2020, 04:18:35 PM
Given the global impact of the Covid virus on people's health, livelihoods, mental wellbeing etc., I find such speculation all rather distasteful.

Sorry you feel that way. These are difficult times, and some of us will no doubt experience significant personal tragedy.

However, I do not share your distaste for such discussions. Life will continue and we will get back to some form of normality. I don't see what is wrong with speculation about future values of individuals or footballers in general. In no way is the situation being ignored or belittled. We enter into these discussions freely, and if they are not for you, then perhaps a forum for football talk and debate should not be on the list of things to look at.

FWIW - I agree with Woolly Mammoth that Kane is worth what some one is prepared to pay. That does not mean he represents value. However if Utd bought him, won the league a couple of times and perhaps the Champions' League, and Kane was instrumental  .. perhaps he would represent some kind of value then. However, I also agree despite his very impressive scoring record, I tend to agree he may not be in world's top 10, and that at £200m it would be very hard to recoup the value. 

filham

Quote from: Logicalman on April 15, 2020, 10:56:18 AM

I do wonder, however, whether Kane is a sacrificial lamb for Levy's 1bn stadium cost 'overdraft' considering the revenues have all dried up. It was the cost that was obscene in all of this, just so Levy could leave a legacy (other than being the ugly sibling to their North London rivals)
Levy needs pricey bums on those expensive seats in the new stadium and those bums belong to people wanting European football and Kane is the guarantee for that. He can't afford to lose Kane.

Logicalman

Quote from: filham on April 15, 2020, 11:37:16 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on April 15, 2020, 10:56:18 AM

Levy needs pricey bums on those expensive seats in the new stadium and those bums belong to people wanting European football and Kane is the guarantee for that. He can't afford to lose Kane.

Agreed, that's the trade-off, but Kane has been a little bit of a sick-note in recent times, so if he is the draw for bums on seats, perhaps Levy is weighing that up in the calculations as well.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 14, 2020, 10:57:45 PM
I always thought it was only a matter of time before the football transfer bubble was going to burst, it would not surprise me if it has now come sooner than expected.
I agree with Woolly,
But who would have predicted that it would happen this way.

Twig

Quote from: Whitesideup on April 15, 2020, 11:30:48 AM
Given the global impact of the Covid virus on people's health, livelihoods, mental wellbeing etc., I find such speculation all rather distasteful.

Sorry you feel that way. These are difficult times, and some of us will no doubt experience significant personal tragedy.

However, I do not share your distaste for such discussions. Life will continue and we will get back to some form of normality. I don't see what is wrong with speculation about future values of individuals or footballers in general. In no way is the situation being ignored or belittled. We enter into these discussions freely, and if they are not for you, then perhaps a forum for football talk and debate should not be on the list of things to look at.

FWIW - I agree with Woolly Mammoth that Kane is worth what some one is prepared to pay. That does not mean he represents value. However if Utd bought him, won the league a couple of times and perhaps the Champions' League, and Kane was instrumental  .. perhaps he would represent some kind of value then. However, I also agree despite his very impressive scoring record, I tend to agree he may not be in world's top 10, and that at £200m it would be very hard to recoup the value. 

I know and perhaps I should lighten up. There is just so much personal tragedy out there right now that I find such insane valuations for a footballer difficult to cope with.  I think that if all our highly paid prem league footballers had taken a real lead in reducing their bloated wages I might be a bit more sympathetic.

kiwian

So I go from Tom Moore and his awesome fundraising efforts to this page-what a letdown.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Logicalman

Quote from: kiwian on April 17, 2020, 06:06:55 AM
So I go from Tom Moore and his awesome fundraising efforts to this page-what a letdown.

I would give the Brian Dennehy and Norman Hunter stories a miss if I were you then.

RaySmith

Quote from: Twig on April 16, 2020, 09:48:47 PM
Quote from: Whitesideup on April 15, 2020, 11:30:48 AM

I know and perhaps I should lighten up. There is just so much personal tragedy out there right now that I find such insane valuations for a footballer difficult to cope with.  I think that if all our highly paid prem league footballers had taken a real lead in reducing their bloated wages I might be a bit more sympathetic.

Fair enough, if that's how you feel.
Though I am someone who looks to Fulham and football to take my mind of the troubles of the world, and my own personal ones.

This is a particularly troubling time, but out parents and grandparents went through wars - their  streets being bombed, neighbours and family members killed, and   loved ones serving abroad, and often not knowing if they wee alive or dead.

In German occupied countries Jews were taken away summarily for certain death, under the most gruesome circumstances.

But during the Blitz pubs, cinemas and theatres stayed open, and were well attended, and comedians on the radio cracked jokes for avid listeners, and   often joined up, and took part in shows for the troops. Such as Spike Milligan, and Tony Hancock learned their trade entertaining the troops.

Obviously pubs and cinemas can't stay open now, of course.

But all I'm saying is, is that   we have to try and get on with life as best we can, live as normally as possible. Nothing wrong in wanting  the escape of football back, and discussing the game - life goes on, but doesn't mean we aren't aware of what's going on, and doing the best we can, to survive ourselves an help others.

Life has to go on.

Woolly is right -  Kane's value is determined by the market, and how much clubs want him - a goalscorer, and how much are his potential goals worth to a team? What have  Mitro's goals been worth for us?

Looking for a debate about morality and football, and society - just reading about Newcastle.

They've got rid of awful Ashley, with his exploitative  chain of sports retailers - where all the workers work there voluntarily, for at least a minimum wage, and he provides sports clothing for people on a low budget,but obviously no saint, who has used Newcastle to line his own pockets, to be 'saved' by the Saudis - a regime responsible for  so much atrocity against their own people, and in the world. 'Sport sanitising' they call it.

But not having a go at anyone on here - everyone's entitled to put forward their opinion.