https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Danny Murphy and leaving Fulham

Started by Southcoastffc, April 20, 2020, 02:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

Quote from: Twig on April 21, 2020, 05:40:31 PM
Quote from: ron on April 21, 2020, 01:58:17 PM
Apart from his leadership qualities on the pitch, I will remember him as an ice cool penalty taker, with just that slight hesitation to get the keeper moving.

Best pen taker I have ever seen at the club going back to the mid 60's.  Absolutely deadly.
What about Berbatov? He may have taken only a handful .. because we weren't getting many .... but I don't recall him missing. Does anyone know his and Danny's penalty stats?

Forever Fulham

No gas left in the tank when Danny left.  Had a presence about him still.  But he was in decline.   

Southcoastffc

Re penalties,

Murphy

Danny Murphy enjoyed Premier League spells at Liverpool, Charlton, Tottenham and Fulham during his professional career converting 18 of his 19 EPL penalties.

Berbatov took 26 in his career, scoring 22. (Trsnsfrmrkt)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Forever Fulham

No, that's too narrow of an assessment.  I'm doing a disservice to the man.  When he played in a Fulham shirt, I always believed he thought he belonged, that playing for Fulham meant a lot to him.  He was scrappy, flinty, purposeful.  We've seen a spate of players come in from places near and distant who acted more like journeymen than someone who believed he belonged there.   Danny seemed to truly care about outcomes and the efforts expended.  A real connection to club and fan base.  It's how he carried himself.  You can't coach that attitude into a player.  A real teammate too, by all accounts.  He may have lost a step at the end of his time with Fulham.  But he always showed up.  If he harbours a little resentment in retrospect towards a few people, I don't begrudge him.  Right or wrong, he earned the right to feel the way he does. 

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Forever Fulham on April 21, 2020, 06:10:54 PM
No gas left in the tank when Danny left.  Had a presence about him still.  But he was in decline.   
Well, according to ESPN "In his last season at Craven Cottage, Murphy created more goalscoring chances than any other player in the top-flight."
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

He was certainly nearing the end and his transfer to Blackburn was an unfortunate way to  close such a great career. In my view he could have enjoyed one last decent year at FFC where he was settled.  Should have taken the 1 year contract he was offered and gone out on top.

fulhamben

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 21, 2020, 06:34:01 PM
Re penalties,

Murphy

Danny Murphy enjoyed Premier League spells at Liverpool, Charlton, Tottenham and Fulham during his professional career converting 18 of his 19 EPL penalties.

Berbatov took 26 in his career, scoring 22. (Trsnsfrmrkt)
Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 21, 2020, 06:37:51 PM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on April 21, 2020, 06:10:54 PM
Well, according to ESPN "In his last season at Craven Cottage, Murphy created more goalscoring chances than any other player in the top-flight."
and yet he couldn't even last a season for Blackburn in the championship. In his last season for us he spent a lot of time in the center circle spraying passes around so not surprised he created so many chances. But it was plain to see even then that his legs had gone
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

love4ffc

Don't care why Danny Murphy left.  He left at the right time even though I wish he had done another season with Fulham.  I will always hold him in high regard for what he did for Fulham.  To me he was a nononsence kind of player which is what I like best about players like him, McBride and even Kmac. 

I to wish he had gone into coaching as I think he would have been good at it but, he choose a different path.  Money talks in the end. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

howitis

Deal was agreed by Mackintosh and murphy for him to return to Fulham during is Blackburn time but it was blocked at the last min by Blackburn who had a new incoming manager who wanted Murphy to stay ...