News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Home match Pubs. Which ones and why do we go there?

Started by Southdowns White, April 22, 2020, 09:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Dukes head was my local for years, when I was living in Putney. Good beer, good memories.

Milo

Quote from: Penfold on April 22, 2020, 11:41:52 PM
Quote from: Milo on April 22, 2020, 11:31:25 PM
Depends on route.

P Bridge would be Dukes Head. Why did Young's stop their cask stout?

Young's now just a pub company. Marston's (the now owners of what was the Charles Wells brewery in Bedford) brew the Young's beers.

When Young's were brewing, doing something to compete with Guinness might be worth your while. When you are buying in, less so. Especially when Guinness market so heavily. G have seen off the challenge of Murphy's (despite Murphy's being owned by Heineken). 

Ah I see! The girl behind the bar said I was the only one who ever ordered it so..!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: jarv on April 23, 2020, 12:12:56 AM
Dukes head was my local for years, when I was living in Putney. Good beer, good memories.

I use to train in St Georges Gym above the Dukes Head 4 times a week and have a Large Pint of Guinness afterwards. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

G_Gribby

https://foursquare.com/fulhamfc/list/pubs-and-bars-for-a-fulham-matchday

Missing The Dove in this list. We often start at The White Horse and then maybe stop at The Golden Lion on the way. Some seasons back we also used to meet up at The Old Suffolk Punch.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

GrumpyWhite

Has varied over the years depending where I was living.  Used to use the Golden Lion initially - straying to the Spotted Horse until it was vandalised/refurbished and then to the Bricklayers.  Nowadays as coming from Cornwall via Paddington I go to Hammersmith - to the Dove (which was my local when living in Barons Court) then to the Chancellors, the Crabtree (but now find it to busy and difficult to get served) and if time to the Bricklayers.  Have also used the White Horse in Parsons Green at times.

St Eve

When I was younger I used to go to the Colton Arms. Is it still around?

Penfold

Quote from: St Eve on April 23, 2020, 01:58:39 PM

The one near Queens Club?

Still going but changed a fair bit as now owned by Hippo Inns.

ALG01

I have never managed to understand why it is necessary to consume alcohol before a football match as a matter of course

I go to football to watch football. alcohol impairs that experience.

Why is guzzling beer required? I go to watch the game not drink beer. the  fact so many have to do both defeats me but may explain why so many people do not understand what they are watching.

Russianrob

Alcohol does different things to different people.Drink very little now and embarrassed when l think of my reactions under the influence.Never post on the forum when drinking,you will regret it!

Penfold

Quote from: ALG01 on April 23, 2020, 03:49:57 PM
I have never managed to understand why it is necessary to consume alcohol before a football match as a matter of course

Why is guzzling beer required? I go to watch the game not drink beer. the  fact so many have to do both defeats me but may explain why so many people do not understand what they are watching.

For many, its part of the day, meeting friends etc.

To be honest, if you were going purely for football quality, you would skip most teams going.

Southcoastffc

But it's not necessarily as you have depicted, is it. In my case I usually meet family and/or friends in a pub beforehand, have one or two pints and a meal before the game. It's pleasurable, sociable and inoffensive (IMO)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Southdowns White

I have never been big on alcohol but to have a couple of pints and sometimes food with friends before a game is all part of the day. I never drink beer at the ground or after a game. To meet up with friends have social interaction is wonderful and at times like this we really appreciate the times when we could do so. We don't have to meet in a pub but that seems to be my group of friends comfortable setting, I don't  always drink alcohol when I go there but when I do it is one small part of a days pleasure, not the main event.

MikeTheCubed

I can't understand how anyone could watch Fulham sober!  086.gif

mrmicawbers

Watching Fulham wouldn't be the same without having a few beers meeting up with family and friends before and after the game.Doesn't bear thinking about.

St Eve

Quote from: Penfold on April 23, 2020, 03:43:41 PM
Quote from: St Eve on April 23, 2020, 01:58:39 PM

The one near Queens Club? Yes that's the one. It used to be a nice pub but of course that was 40 years go

Still going but changed a fair bit as now owned by Hippo Inns.

RaySmith

used the Six Bells at Putney bridge station for years before games, and once met David Hamilton there, when he was a director, as i said on another thread, and he bought me a pint - very nice guy, but i recent years it's become full of away fans, so now usually use the Golden Lion.

Last time i was in there, last season, it had just been refurbished - become all trendy, like other pubs around there.  i like it, because it seems a real Fulham pub.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: GrumpyWhite on April 23, 2020, 11:50:05 AM
Has varied over the years depending where I was living.  Used to use the Golden Lion initially - straying to the Spotted Horse until it was vandalised/refurbished and then to the Bricklayers.  Nowadays as coming from Cornwall via Paddington I go to Hammersmith - to the Dove (which was my local when living in Barons Court) then to the Chancellors, the Crabtree (but now find it to busy and difficult to get served) and if time to the Bricklayers.  Have also used the White Horse in Parsons Green at times.
Chancellors proper Fulham pub.

Bill2

I use the Blue Boat, new pub near Hammersmith Bridge Fullers beer. Always busy but not with fans more like families having meals and due to that not a lot of space available and children around. Nowhere to stand unless the weather is good and then you can go outside. Beer is just under £5 per pint.
I use it as it is on the way to the ground but would not bother otherwise, although the food looks good.

BarneyTravers

We tend to use the East Putney Tavern these days near the tube station.
The bar staff are always friendly and welcoming, the beer is fresh and though I tend not to eat myself my Grandson likes the food...far cry from days gone by but it leads to a  very pleasant pre-match experience.

Bigger games tend to go to the Fox for the vibe.

COYW