more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 23/04/20...

Started by WhiteJC, April 23, 2020, 07:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Martin Tyler reminisces in memorable Fulham moment at Craven Cottage

Fulham have had their fair share of ups and downs in recent years, with the club playing their football in both the Premier League and the Championship.

The Cottagers were in the top-flight last term, but were relegated in their first season back, and are now back challenging for promotion in the second tier of English football.

Scott Parker's side are currently sat third in the Championship table, and will be hoping they can keep the pressure on West Brom and Leeds United heading towards the conclusion of this year's campaign.

If they are to make a swift promotion back into the Premier League this term, the Cottagers will be keen for a prolonged stay in the top-flight.

Fulham had previously played in European competition earlier in their history, when they had an impressive run to the UEFA Cup Final, where they were eventually beaten by Spanish giants Atletico Madrid.

Speaking in an interview with Sky Sports, legendary commentator looked back at one of the memorable matches he has covered at Craven Cottage in the past, and it's certainly a game that the Fulham supporters will remember well.

"As for a match, I have plumped for March 2006 and a 1-0 win over neighbours Chelsea. Jose Mourinho's side were running away with the Premier League title and would secure it for a second season in a row. Fulham were battling to stay in the division and helped their chances with a gutsy performance.

"Their only goal, after 17 minutes, was fortunate with Paulo Ferreira in an attempted tackle hitting the ball on to the foot of Luis Boa Morte and it flashed into the net. The match is also memorable for Mourinho's double substitution less than 10 minutes later.

"He hauled off Joe Cole and Shaun Wright-Phillips and brought on Didier Drogba and Damien Duff. But in the end it was a D-Day for Fulham and when Chelsea's William Gallas was sent off near the end a famous victory was in the bag.

"They have not beaten Chelsea since!"

Tyler went on to label the Craven Cottage stadium as unique, and as a rare combination of historic and modern, which is a description that plenty of the club's supporters are likely to agree with.

"It is – and will be even more so – a rare combination of the historic and the modern. The Main Stand on Stevenage Road, now named after Johnny Haynes, is virtually unaltered with its red brick façade a unique feature in English football.

"Even this, though is topped by the Cottage itself, a pavilion in the corner which houses the dressing rooms and some club offices, plus a balcony view of the pitch. Unique."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/martin-tyler-reminisces-in-memorable-fulham-moment-at-craven-cottage/

WhiteJC

With former Fulham star urging Rangers ace to leave, Gerrard simply shouldn't let it happen

Why Rangers should keep hold of Alfredo Morelos beyond the summer

Former Colombia and Fulham star Hugo Rodallega has urged Rangers forward Alfredo Morelos to leave Ibrox in the summer, as per The Mirror.

Morelos, 23, came through the ranks of Independiente Medellin's youth system in his homeland before moving to HJK Helsinki in Finland. After 27 goals in 42 games in the Veikkausliiga, he was signed by Rangers in the summer of 2017.

Alfredo Morelos (R) in action for Rangers

Since then, the Colombian has been a regular member of the squad and has performed brilliantly so far. In over 130 games for the Gers, Morelos has racked up a whopping 77 goals and 29 games. Thus, Rangers should keep hold of the striker at any cost.

Steven Gerrard's men have failed to challenge their rivals Celtic for the Premiership title despite starting the season on a high note. They are currently 13 points behind the league leaders at 2nd place and are set to lose out on the title once again.

However, their attacking unit has been brilliant, with Jermain Defoe and Morelos sharing the duties equally. While the former Helsinki man has contributed with 12 goals so far, Defoe had also done a marvellous job with 13 goals to his name before he got injured.

In the absence of the English veteran, Morelos led them single-handedly with little support from Greg Stewart. The Gers signed Florian Kamberi on loan in January and he could be on the move back to his parent club once his contract ends in the summer. Stewart has just one year left on his contract at Ibrox.

Thus, letting Morelos leave in the summer would not be a wise decision by the Glasgow-based club as he is their star performer.

Morelos has scored nearly 15 or more goals in each of his last five league campaigns and is one of the most exciting talents in the league. He comes with a guarantee of goals and would be a huge boost to the team's attacking unit.

Alfredo Morelos celebrates after scoring a goal (Getty Images)

The Colombian international is just 23 and has a huge future ahead of him and Rangers should take the opportunity to get the best out of him. He has scored some important goals for the team and is a reliable outlet on the pitch. He could be a crucial player in the Gers' pursuit of the title next season and thus, holding on to him would be a good choice.

Verdict

While Defoe (34) and Stewart (30) are in the twilight of their careers, Rangers' only dependable option would be Morelos. With experience, he could lead them to greater heights given his ability and potential. Thus, the Gers should hold on to the Colombian and avoid temptation from elsewhere.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2020/04/23/why-rangers-should-keep-hold-of-alfredo-morelos-beyond-the-summer/

Stoneleigh Loyalist

On the morning of the Fulham v Chelsea match I was called to tell me that my mother had been taken from Fulham into Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. I drove from Stoneleigh to be there and there was no way that I could get home in time to go to the match. I travelled home and went straight to the then Stoneleigh Inn a stronghold for Chelsea supporters to watch on tv.
I took some unfair stick for not being at the match and even when Boa Morte scored I was fairly quiet Just listening to the arrogant confidence of the Chelsea supporters. At the end I let out a huge roar and marched out with my arms in the air!
A great moment.