Friday evening music

Started by WhiteJC, April 24, 2020, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Quote from: BestOfBrede on July 03, 2020, 05:28:52 PM
Quote from: whitejc on July 03, 2020, 01:47:33 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on July 03, 2020, 12:57:04 PM
Love  In a Broken Dream JC.

In fact, i entitled a short story I've recently written after it: the  main character is returning to his old family home in West Norwood,and visits a pub, he used to go in all those years ago, and remembers when they had a jukebox with that track on it - now it's just piped music.

'Loved that that song by Python Lee jackson, aka Rod Stewart' he muses. 'and was that Jeff Beck on guitar?' though i don't know if that's true or not.
But when i was deciding  on the title for the story to enter a competition, that  flashed into my  mind - great title, i thought

I've heard that Beck played on it, but it could just be an urban myth
Wow I was told, and since always believed, that it was Eric Clapton!?
Now I feel bad as I've told others it was Eric!

I'm 99% certain that it wasn't Clapton, mind you in those days he was so out of it he could have thought that he was Jeff Beck!?

BestOfBrede

Quote from: whitejc on July 03, 2020, 05:44:43 PM

In fact, i entitled a short story I've recently written after it: the  main character is returning to his old family home in West Norwood,and visits a pub, he used to go in all those years ago, and remembers when they had a jukebox with that track on it - now it's just piped music.

'Loved that that song by Python Lee jackson, aka Rod Stewart' he muses. 'and was that Jeff Beck on guitar?' though i don't know if that's true or not.
But when i was deciding  on the title for the story to enter a competition, that  flashed into my  mind - great title, i thought

I'm 99% certain that it wasn't Clapton, mind you in those days he was so out of it he could have thought that he was Jeff Beck!?
:005:

bobbo

A very different rendering of the old Larry Williams number slow down. By alexis corner and Steve Marriott

1975 just leaving home full of hope

bobbo

And here's the original

RaySmith

I haven't heard either of those versions before bobbo - but they are both  completely different, and both brilliant.

Alexis Korner is still going I believe, such an important figure in the British music scene of the 60's but it was shame what happened to Steve Marriott -  robbed of his earnings by the American Mafia, he returned to England penniless, and died young - but from this video here you can see how talented he was.

BarneyTravers

Stay Free  The Clash

Melody riffs attitude....got the lot

COYW

bobbo

I didn't know about the mafia bit , but I knew he was stitched up but knew no more than that ray.
I used to watch cliff Bennett a lot when I was about 16 and he used to do "slow down" I'm gonna see if I can dig it out.

bobbo

Found it

BestOfBrede

Or

The Rock

dgnffc

Quote from: whitejc on July 03, 2020, 05:44:43 PM

No, it was Mick Liber who played on that song.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Barrett487

Talking of Alexis Korner. I couldn't find a live video of this

Barrett487

Boston - A Man I'll Never Be (Live)

Barrett487

I saw  the late, great Lionel Hampton a few times....... this is Flying Home, with Lionel on vibraphone (he also cameo'd on drums on most of his gigs)

AnOldBrownie

Neffex - Fight Back

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

WhiteJC

Oh What A Feeling - Walk off the Earth

Tom Petty - You Don't Know How It Feels

bobbo

barrett , you put some great music on here keep it up. isaw alexis corner twice when i was about 17 . southall comunity center and at the fender club in kenton.

Dodgin

Great track Mr Barrett 487. Flying Home, saw Lionel three times over the years. First was in mid Fifties at State cinema in Kilburn. Still have the 78rpm of this track.

BestOfBrede

Barrett487

Quote from: Dodgin on July 04, 2020, 10:57:07 AM
Great track Mr Barrett 487. Flying Home, saw Lionel three times over the years. First was in mid Fifties at State cinema in Kilburn. Still have the 78rpm of this track.
I only saw Hamp for the first time at the Capital Jazz Festival, in the eighties, then a couple more at the Festival Hall  He was such a dynamic musician and leader.