more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 26/04/20...

Started by WhiteJC, April 26, 2020, 07:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Blast from the past: Fulham stun Arsenal in 2003 title race

Gaute Haugenes' side completed an unbeaten league season and also clinched FA Cup and Premier League Cup glory

The early 2000s were renowned for a number of things - the emergence of YouTube, Tony Blair's New Labour, the introduction of the Euro and, last but not least, the dominance of Arsenal Women.

The North London side conquered women's football, and with nine FA Women's Premier League National Division titles, six FA Cups, five Community Shields and four Premier League Cups no other team in England had a more decorated trophy cabinet during the period.

But, the Gunners will look back on their 2002-03 season in disappointment after one team ruined their chances of completing the unthinkable – winning the league every year consecutively over a ten year period.

The team with the honour was, of course, Fulham who managed to complete the treble while winning the league unbeaten – but how exactly did they do it?

Becoming the first women's team in Europe to turn into a full-time professional outfit in 2000, Fulham announced themselves in their debut season by reaching the FA Cup final and winning the South East Combination League by a considerable margin.

With English stars such as Rachel Yankey and Katie Chapman being complemented by high-profile overseas imports like Marianne Pettersen, Fulham entered the top flight with pedigree and were not shy in letting everyone know their ambitions early on.

Starting the season off with a 4-0 victory over eventual runners-up Doncaster Belles set the tempo for what was to come, and it was not until Charlton managed to stop their charge on September 24 - with a 3-3 draw - that the Whites lost their unblemished record.

In the meantime, Arsenal seemed unfazed by their new challengers as they maintained an immaculate run of results themselves, leading Gaute Haugenes' Fulham in the table until a shock 1-0 defeat away at Birmingham City.

And that weekend Fulham were held to a 1-1 draw by Charlton, a result that made the Gunners' and their West London rival's meeting two weeks later all the more intriguing.

The matchup at Meadow Park was a hotly-anticipated affair, but Fulham showed a nonchalant attitude when entering the hosts' hunting ground and came away with a 2-1 victory after a Kristy Moore double.

The result announced themselves as true contenders for the title and as the season went on their confidence grew, with a 5-0 blitz against Southampton and an away victory against Birmingham giving them momentum into the new year.

Arsenal, on the other hand, managed to pick themselves up after suffering defeat and went on a four-game winning streak to revive their hopes.

But Fulham again proved all their clinical prowess when the two London sides met once again, with a 4-1 win over the Gunners thanks to a Yankey double, a Margunn Haugenes effort and a Leanne Champ own goal.

Entering the business end of the season Fulham had opened up a sizeable gap between themselves and the chasing pack, but owing to Arsenal's commitments in European and domestic competitions, the North London side had three games in hand.

But the pressure of mounting a title challenge in the final few games of the season proved too much for Vic Akers' team, as a 1-1 draw against Doncaster Belles and a 2-1 defeat to Charlton Athletic saw crowned Fulham champions for the first time in their history.

And Fulham would prove their title-winning campaign was no fluke, matching their impressive feat by winning the FA Cup, FA Premier League Cup and London County Cup.

Their achievements would see them represent the solitary English hope in the UEFA Champions League, where they were knocked out by eventual finalists Frankfurt in the last eight.

Haugenes' team would continue their journey in the top flight, before dissolving in 2006 owing to financial concerns.

But their 2003 tenure at the top will always be remembered for their unexpected toppling of Arsenal, an outcome that would eventually prove to dash the Gunners' hopes of achieving an unthinkable ten consecutive league titles.

https://womenscompetitions.thefa.com/en/Article/Fulham-Ladies-2003-240420

WhiteJC

Boot The Virus

Fulham players have pledged to support a new campaign called Boot the Virus that will raise money to support the NHS as they continue to fight against the coronavirus.

The campaign has been set up by two Preston North End fans to unite the football community and raise crucial funds to help support the incredible work being done by NHS staff across the country during this tragic crisis.

The idea is simple, they are asking professional football stars throughout the UK to donate a pair of signed matchday boots which will then be auctioned online here with supporters able to bid and raise money that will be sent directly to the NHS.

Kenny Marland and his partner Joanne are behind the campaign, with Kenny currently undergoing chemotherapy in his fourth battle against cancer. Speaking about the campaign, he said: "I have a personal affinity with the NHS heroes due to my vulnerable situation, I am frustrated at having to stay at home when I would rather be volunteering to help the wonderful people at the NHS.

"I was pondering how I could combine my passion for football and help out, then the idea of Boot the Virus came to me in a chat with Joanne. So, we are asking professional footballers and retired professionals from all the leagues in England to donate a pair of their signed matchday boots.

"I know times are difficult right now, but the plan is for all donated items to go to an online auction via our website, giving fans the opportunity to own a piece of sporting memorabilia with 100 per cent of the monies raised going directly to the NHS. If it helps the heroes in the NHS and brings some joy to football fans by owning such an item, then that's brilliant."

The online campaign involves a commitment from one player to provide a pair of signed boots to the cause before they are asked to nominate another four players to take part. Cyrus Christie, Joe Bryan and Steven Sessegnon have already provided a pair of boots each.

The challenge is for all clubs to be represented in this campaign with as many players as possible from each club showing their support.

The auction will go live on Friday 1st May, and is set to finish at 3pm on Monday 25th May. For more information please visit bootthevirus.com and if you have any queries please contact [email protected].

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/april/25/boot-the-virus

WhiteJC

Mark Pembridge: Player and Manager

Our Under-23s boss Mark Pembridge enjoyed a sparkling career spanning over 18 seasons. In that time he racked up over 500 first-team domestic appearances, enjoying spells at Luton town, Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday, Benfica, Everton and Fulham.

From representing his country alongside the likes of Ryan Giggs and Gary Speed to regularly featuring for The Toffees in the top-flight, he's competed with the best. We caught up with Mark to reminisce.

His first professional contract came in 1989 with then First Division side Luton town who, at the time, were experimenting with the soon to be outlawed artificial pitch.

"I was offered a scholarship at Luton when I was 16 and I spent another three years at the club, most of the time playing on the plastic pitch there. I think we had an advantage playing on it because other teams weren't used to it," Mark admitted.

"We trained on it most days which was good when you were a youngster because you could go on the pitch at any time without the groundsman getting annoyed with you!"

After making 70 appearances for the club, he travelled north to Derby County, where he managed an impressive 37 goals in 140 games from the left-hand side of midfield.

Eleven of those goals came in the season of 1993/94 which unfortunately ended in heartbreak as The Rams fell to a 2-1 defeat against Leicester City at Wembley in the Play-Off Final.

"I scored a few goals at Derby, I got double figures for three seasons in a row but it was of course disappointing that we didn't get up via the playoffs that year."

He continued: "To lose any final is disappointing, especially a Play-Off Final."

His time at Sheffield Wednesday ended with a move abroad but the Under-23s boss enjoyed sharing the grass with some good company.

"I enjoyed my three years at Wednesday. They had a really good group of young and older players including the likes of Chris Waddle, who was coming towards the end of his career, and Des Walker. They were really experienced players at that time."

The then 28-year-old benefited from the introduction of the Bosman rule, which meant players could move to a new club at the end of their contract without their old club receiving a fee.

"My contract was coming up and the Bosman free transfer was in its second season, so it just fell right for me to be on a free transfer and I was around 28 years of age," he said.

"In the first year there weren't many people moving about because I think players were testing the water with it. That next year a lot happened and I was one of the players who moved abroad."

He moved to Portugal to play for Benfica along with several British players recruited by Liverpool legend Graeme Souness during his managerial tenure. Mark only spent one season at the club before returning to England. Despite struggling with a small injury during his time there, he enjoyed his experience and when looking back at it, was quick to point out the differences in relation to the way the game was played.

"It's a very different style of football and they saw the game differently. They regarded what players were doing on the ball as more important than what they were doing off the ball.

"We had some very talented players in that squad, and it was a good time.

"It was unfortunate that the manager got the sack because the new man who came in didn't want any of the British players around, so we agreed and they found new clubs for us."

After just one season, 19 appearances and one goal, Mark joined First Division side Everton for a fee of £800,000.

Upon arrival at Everton, Mark wasn't initially a starter but his skill, high work rate and shooting ability was recognised early on by then Everton manager Walter Smith. By the winter of 1999 the Welshman, nicknamed "Bilbo", became an established First Team player and went on to play the majority of matches for the Merseyside club.

Unfortunately, it wasn't all plain sailing for the left-midfielder, who picked up a calf injury which saw him sidelined and limited his contribution for the rest of his time at the club.

"My initial injury problems started in Benfica. I spent about four years at Everton under [Walter] Smith and David Moyes so I enjoyed my spell there."

Mark's contract at Everton would end with a match against their fiercest rivals.

"I always remember, we were playing Liverpool on the Saturday and I got a call on the Friday evening from my very nervous agent. I told him I was due to play in the game and he wanted me to 'make sure I didn't get injured.' Before one of the biggest derbies in England!

"That was my last game at Everton and the deadline came up that weekend. I then moved down to Fulham. I signed on the Sunday and went straight off to play for Wales for 12 days before returning."

He was sold to the Whites at the end of the 2002/03 season on transfer deadline day for £750,000.

His first goal for the club came against neighbours Chelsea during his first season which was injury free. He continued to feature heavily the following year with 37 appearances overall before missing most of the 2005/06 season after his frustrating calf injury returned.

Mark was very open in admitting the difficulties he went through during his long and often lonely spells out injured.

"It was difficult staying motivated," he confessed. "I kept pulling my calves all the time for unknown reasons. Towards the back end of my time at Fulham I ended up having four operations in two years. Three on my calves and one on my achilles.

"Looking back at it, I was quite lucky that it didn't happen at the start of my career. It was frustrating though because you'd play a game, you'd do all of your rehab, do everything possible to make sure it doesn't pull again and then you'd get back in training with the first team and pull it.

"Then you're straight back to stage one. You then build it back up, play two or three games in the First Team, then it would go again."

He was later released by new manager Lawrie Sanchez at the end of the season, before making the decision to retire in 2007.

"My heart wanted to keep playing but mentally, when you see players coming in to do rehab after you but returning to football before you, it has an effect. I was often doing rehab by myself."

Before Mark's calf injuries prematurely ended his career, he still managed an incredible 54 appearances on the international stage for Wales.

"Representing Wales was very special.

"During the period I was involved, there was a transition within football at the time. I was playing with Ian Rush, Dean Saunders, Gary Speed was a couple of years older than me and Ryan Giggs was a couple of years younger.

"I then got to see the next generation coming through with names like Craig Bellamy and Simon Davies.

"It was great to represent my country and I always got a buzz from playing for Wales," he added.

His long career for both club and country saw him share the pitch with several legends of the game, but who really stood out?

"I think of different players for different reasons. I played in the Welsh team with players like [Ian] Rush, Mark Hughes and Kevin Ratcliffe.

"When I first started out, I saw a brilliant goalkeeper like Neville Southall. Rush had a knack for just popping up and scoring from one chance which made him the striker he was.

"Then I see a young Wayne Rooney coming through at Everton and you're playing with one of the greatest centre-halves in England at the time in [Des] Walker."

Before his playing career came to an end, Mark took his coaching badges at the club alongside the likes of Lee Clark and Mark Crossley before obtaining his A-licence.

He has since spent over 11 years at Fulham and worked with the Under-16s and 18s before becoming joint Under-23s Head Coach alongside Colin Omogbehin.

He has worked with several youngsters who have since gone on to forge successful careers and he reflects on the most rewarding aspects of his job.

"The most rewarding thing is seeing them progress. You teach them on the training pitch with little pointers and individual bits that help them go on to reach the next level. Every individual is different and every individual needs different things to succeed.

"You have to identify what they haven't got or what they could improve on to help them get to the next level."

Our Under-23s are sure to benefit from Mark's unbelievable experiences.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/april/25/mark-pembridge-career

WhiteJC

Real Madrid 'considering Andre-Franck Zambo Anguissa as a 'cut price' transfer option this summer' with LaLiga side prepared to offer £17m for the Fulham midfielder

Real Madrid are considering signing the Fulham midfielder for a 'cut price'
    He has spent the season on-loan at Villarreal after the Cottagers' relegation 
    The 24-year-old was signed in August 2018 for a club-record fee of £30million
    Real could have a smaller budget due to the financial implications of coronavirus

eal Madrid are reportedly considering Fulham's Andre-Franck Zambo Anguissa as a 'cut price' midfield transfer option this summer.

Zinedine Zidane's side have been linked with a host of players but the financial implications of coronavirus will mean clubs have smaller budgets than normal.

And Anguissa, who has spent the 2019-2020 season on-loan at Villarreal following Fulham's relegation from the Premier League, is an option the LaLiga side are thought to be considering, according to Mundo Deportivo.

Real Madrid are considering Fulham's Andre-Franck Zambo Anguissa as a 'cut price' transfer

He has spent the season on-loan at Villarreal after Fulham's were relegated from the top-flight

Villarreal are thought to be interested in signing the 24-year-old permanently but would be unable to match his £70,000-a-week wages.

The report claims Real would push for a salary reduction and are also unwilling to meet the midfielder's release clause of £22million.

They would instead look to knock £5million off the fee with an offer of £17million.

Real would push for a salary reduction and are unwilling to meet his £22million release clause

Anguissa has been a regular for his loan side this season with 25 appearances in all competitions and has one goal and one assist to his name.

Fulham signed the Cameroon international for a club-record fee of £30million on transfer deadline day in August 2018.

But he failed to settle into life at Craven Cottage, failing to get a consistent run of games and often being played out of position.

He has had a much more successful time in Spain and has shown the potential he has to become the player Fulham thought they had signed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8257043/Real-Madrid-considering-Andre-Franck-Zambo-Anguissa-cut-price-transfer-option-summer.html

Russianrob

I hate women's football but will remain incredibly proud of what our ladies did that year.

filham

It begins to look as if we are going to lose a lot of money on Anguissa, I suppose any one still at the club is claiming they had no part in his signing.

Fernhurst

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 26, 2020, 07:58:00 AM

Gaute Haugenes' side completed an unbeaten league season and also clinched FA Cup and Premier League Cup glory

The early 2000s were renowned for a number of things - the emergence of YouTube, Tony Blair's New Labour, the introduction of the Euro and, last but not least, the dominance of Arsenal Women.

The North London side conquered women's football, and with nine FA Women's Premier League National Division titles, six FA Cups, five Community Shields and four Premier League Cups no other team in England had a more decorated trophy cabinet during the period.

But, the Gunners will look back on their 2002-03 season in disappointment after one team ruined their chances of completing the unthinkable – winning the league every year consecutively over a ten year period.

The team with the honour was, of course, Fulham who managed to complete the treble while winning the league unbeaten – but how exactly did they do it?

Becoming the first women's team in Europe to turn into a full-time professional outfit in 2000, Fulham announced themselves in their debut season by reaching the FA Cup final and winning the South East Combination League by a considerable margin.

With English stars such as Rachel Yankey and Katie Chapman being complemented by high-profile overseas imports like Marianne Pettersen, Fulham entered the top flight with pedigree and were not shy in letting everyone know their ambitions early on.

Starting the season off with a 4-0 victory over eventual runners-up Doncaster Belles set the tempo for what was to come, and it was not until Charlton managed to stop their charge on September 24 - with a 3-3 draw - that the Whites lost their unblemished record.

In the meantime, Arsenal seemed unfazed by their new challengers as they maintained an immaculate run of results themselves, leading Gaute Haugenes' Fulham in the table until a shock 1-0 defeat away at Birmingham City.

And that weekend Fulham were held to a 1-1 draw by Charlton, a result that made the Gunners' and their West London rival's meeting two weeks later all the more intriguing.

The matchup at Meadow Park was a hotly-anticipated affair, but Fulham showed a nonchalant attitude when entering the hosts' hunting ground and came away with a 2-1 victory after a Kristy Moore double.

The result announced themselves as true contenders for the title and as the season went on their confidence grew, with a 5-0 blitz against Southampton and an away victory against Birmingham giving them momentum into the new year.

Arsenal, on the other hand, managed to pick themselves up after suffering defeat and went on a four-game winning streak to revive their hopes.

But Fulham again proved all their clinical prowess when the two London sides met once again, with a 4-1 win over the Gunners thanks to a Yankey double, a Margunn Haugenes effort and a Leanne Champ own goal.

Entering the business end of the season Fulham had opened up a sizeable gap between themselves and the chasing pack, but owing to Arsenal's commitments in European and domestic competitions, the North London side had three games in hand.

But the pressure of mounting a title challenge in the final few games of the season proved too much for Vic Akers' team, as a 1-1 draw against Doncaster Belles and a 2-1 defeat to Charlton Athletic saw crowned Fulham champions for the first time in their history.

And Fulham would prove their title-winning campaign was no fluke, matching their impressive feat by winning the FA Cup, FA Premier League Cup and London County Cup.

Their achievements would see them represent the solitary English hope in the UEFA Champions League, where they were knocked out by eventual finalists Frankfurt in the last eight.

Haugenes' team would continue their journey in the top flight, before dissolving in 2006 owing to financial concerns.

But their 2003 tenure at the top will always be remembered for their unexpected toppling of Arsenal, an outcome that would eventually prove to dash the Gunners' hopes of achieving an unthinkable ten consecutive league titles.

Front row bottom left ........ Can't remember her name but wasn't that young lady on Pointless Celebrities last night???
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bobby01

Quote from: filham on April 26, 2020, 10:43:39 AM
It begins to look as if we are going to lose a lot of money on Anguissa, I suppose any one still at the club is claiming they had no part in his signing.

I still think there is a decent player in him, circumstances seemed to go against him.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

deadcowboys

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 26, 2020, 12:30:58 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on April 26, 2020, 07:58:00 AM

Front row bottom left ........ Can't remember her name but wasn't that young lady on Pointless Celebrities last night???

Didnt see the proggy but that looks like Rachel Yankey.

Mickeyboro

I still think there is a decent player in him, circumstances seemed to go against him.
[/quote]

Lacked any bottle whatsoever...

bog

Will never forget Mark Pembridge's rocket of a shot that hit the bar at Old Trafford with the score at 0-1 in the 3-1 win in October 2003.  :54:

alfie

Quote from: Russianrob on April 26, 2020, 10:12:29 AM
I hate women's football but will remain incredibly proud of what our ladies did that year.
Hate? Bit of a strong word to use, I don't like watching tennis, but def don't hate it.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Whitesideup

Quote from: Mickeyboro on April 26, 2020, 02:19:41 PM

Thought the day we played Liverpool at Craven Cottage, he showed he had the bottle. I thought, he looked like the best midfielder on the pitch in that game. He had a slow start, but I thought he was getting there.

[/quote]

Whitesideup

Quote from: Whitesideup on April 26, 2020, 05:53:40 PM
Quote from: Mickeyboro on April 26, 2020, 02:19:41 PM

[/quote]
Thought the day we played Liverpool at Craven Cottage, he showed he had the bottle. I thought, he looked like the best midfielder on the pitch in that game. He had a slow start, but I thought he was getting there.