more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Most Vivid Old Memory

Started by filham, April 22, 2020, 06:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Quote from: filham on April 22, 2020, 06:41:13 PM
I recently read Bill Bryson's latest book The Body and was interested to learn that he was a baseball fan and could recall the 1964 team line up for the team he supported, St. Lois Cardinals. Bill was looking to explain why we can have good long term memories capable of storing useless information while having very poor short term memories that fail to hold useful information. He admitted recently forgetting his mobile phone number and the third item of three that his wife had sent him to buy at the supermarket.

I can identify with both the short term memory examples but can do better with the long term memory.

I can clearly remember the Fulham line up for the 1949 team that was promoted from the second division into the top flight for the first time in our history. It was a W formation of :-
                                                                 Doug Flack
                                           Harry Freeman                 Joe Buccuzi
                                      Len Quested          Jim Taylor            Pat Beasley
                                                       Bob Thomas         Beddy Jezzard
                                    Arthur Stevens          Arthur Rowley                  Macdonald

Not absolutely sure of the Christion name of the left winger but think it was Jack. The doubt is probably because he was new to the team and had replaced a real favourite of mine, Ernie Shepherd, a lovely player who tended to hug the line and had a sweet left foot capable of putting over inch perfect crosses.

Any one else with vivid memories of their early Fulham team

Think the name you might be looking for might be Jack McDonald

jarv

When I moved to Southfields from Scotland about age 12, I went to watch a match. I was absolutely gobsmacked how good Haynes was so I came back to the cottage, again and again. Just to see JH.  I became a fan of JH first and then Fulham stuck after about 3 matches.

As an adult, I always wanted to play like JH, (who wouldn't). However, at a decent standard, was nowhere near good enough for midfield but was an ok fullback. (right or left).

filham

Quote from: jarv on April 23, 2020, 09:48:56 PM
When I moved to Southfields from Scotland about age 12, I went to watch a match. I was absolutely gobsmacked how good Haynes was so I came back to the cottage, again and again. Just to see JH.  I became a fan of JH first and then Fulham stuck after about 3 matches.

As an adult, I always wanted to play like JH, (who wouldn't). However, at a decent standard, was nowhere near good enough for midfield but was an ok fullback. (right or left).
Oh yes Johnny was a role model for me too. If only I could have been blessed with 1% of his talent I may have achieved something in football.

General

Quote from: filham on April 24, 2020, 10:27:22 AM

Oh yes Johnny was a role model for me too. If only I could have been blessed with 1% of his talent I may have achieved something in football.

It's interesting when people mention Haynes as I've always had him in my mind down as a CM and don't know if it's right or not and haven't even ever questioned it until now for some reason... but it makes me more curious to know what made him so good when the superstars of these days tend to be forwards or wingers and very occasionally a cb or cm.

General

Quote from: General on April 24, 2020, 11:23:31 AM

It's interesting when people mention Haynes as I've always had him in my mind down as a CM and don't know if it's right or not and haven't even ever questioned it until now for some reason... but it makes me more curious to know what made him so good when the superstars of these days tend to be forwards or wingers and very occasionally a cb or cm.

Just noticed he was an inside forward which I assume means a number 10 off the front man and at times a CAM... his stats for goals scored for games played dont seem that impressive though he's obviously regarded exceptionally highly.

filham

Quote from: General on April 24, 2020, 11:26:24 AM
Quote from: General on April 24, 2020, 11:23:31 AM

Just noticed he was an inside forward which I assume means a number 10 off the front man and at times a CAM... his stats for goals scored for games played dont seem that impressive though he's obviously regarded exceptionally highly.

Johnny was a forward and well capable of scoring goals but with his outstanding passing ability Fulham  realised that to get the most out of him it was best to play him deep and using modern terminology he became a box to box player, regularly turning defence into attack.
Our tactics in those days were simple, win the ball and give it to Haynes in midfield, a defence splitting pass down the middle or out wide was then likely to follow.
Make no mistake Haynes was up there with the best in the world.

jarv

yes, he was a forward but played deep because of his passing skills. In the 60s, when formation changed to 4-3-3, he was the man in the middle. In fact I recall the midfield 3 for a while was Mullery, Haynes, Robson (Bobby, when he returned to Fulham). That is one heck of a midfield.

filham

Quote from: jarv on April 24, 2020, 03:32:51 PM
yes, he was a forward but played deep because of his passing skills. In the 60s, when formation changed to 4-3-3, he was the man in the middle. In fact I recall the midfield 3 for a while was Mullery, Haynes, Robson (Bobby, when he returned to Fulham). That is one heck of a midfield.
Almost as good as the  Haynes Jezzard Robson strike force at the beginning of the Hayne era..

Fernhurst

My most vivid early memory was my first game and the only player who stuck was Robin Lawler. For the life of me I just could not understand why he kept running backwards and not tackling the winger.
Shiny long baggy shorts and shirt that looked like .... well a shirt.

Do believe Robin had a long life and died in Fulham aged 93.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Woolly Mammoth

The memory I had when I first started watching Fulham, well 2 actually. Was Tosh Chamberlain a lot of times the ball went out of play for a throw on or a corner, he would spend a few seconds talking to the crowd. One of my first memory's was the ritual Jimmy Langley went through before each match tapping his boots against a post. There is actually one more memory if I may be so bold, and that was Bobby Killer Keetch dumping an opponent on the floor, and the player scratching his head wondering what hit him. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2020, 11:10:26 AM
The memory I had when I first started watching Fulham, well 2 actually. Was Tosh Chamberlain a lot of times the ball went out of play for a throw on or a corner, he would spend a few seconds talking to the crowd. One of my first memory's was the ritual Jimmy Langley went through before each match tapping his boots against a post. There is actually one more memory if I may be so bold, and that was Bobby Killer Keetch dumping an opponent on the floor, and the player scratching his head wondering what hit him. 
Tosh, Langley and Keetch all larger than life characters, where are their modern day equivalents.

SG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2020, 11:10:26 AM

Watched Killer dump Joe Baker the Arsenal centre forward into the enclosure one game with a ridiculously long sliding tackle, around 1964. We lost 4-3 and the paper report described it as 'on a dank, stygian afternoon'. Funny having never heard those words before i have never forgotten them

RaySmith

Vivid memories too of those 60's players, all real characters, a well as great players.

Jimmy Langley with his bandy legs, long throws and sliding tackles, Eddie Sticks Lowe, long, thin legs pumping as  ran back to foil an attack, - my own role model as a young left-half,

Tosh chatting with the crowd, and firing cannonballs  - some of which hit the target and were great goals, Bobby Keetch unceremoniously  dumping an opposition attacker, a real 60's character with his shock of blonde hair, I think he owned an antique shop and mixed with an arty/rock star crowd, midfield hardman by day, scene setter  by night -

and all orchestrated by the aptly named Maestro, who was the reason my dad took me to Fulham in the first place, when i said i wanted to see  top team rather than  4th division Crystal Palace, the local team he supported -
'Well, you have to go to Fulham and  see Johnny Haynes - no one can pass a football like him.'

And a vivid image of myself, standing on the Riverside terrace half way line, hat adorned  with those plastic star shaped badges of the Fulham players, and swinging my huge  black and white rattle, which made the noise of a machine gun firing.
Those were the days.

RaySmith

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 24, 2020, 06:15:43 PM
My most vivid early memory was my first game and the only player who stuck was Robin Lawler. For the life of me I just could not understand why he kept running backwards and not tackling the winger.

I remember  Robin Lawler too - a substitute full-back for Jim Langley and George Cohen.

Not a very impressive player compared to those two greats, but I think he had a long and distinguished  career at Fulham, through the  50's, and was an Irish international.
When we saw him he was probably near the end of his career.

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on April 25, 2020, 05:37:07 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on April 24, 2020, 06:15:43 PM

I remember  Robin Lawler too - a substitute full-back for Jim Langley and George Cohen.

Not a very impressive player compared to those two greats, but I think he had a long and distinguished  career at Fulham, through the  50's, and was an Irish international.
When we saw him he was probably near the end of his career.
Robin Lawler was a left half that could put in a good shift at left back. I always thought he had a very nice left foot and played a nice clean game.

cottage expat

I was a big fan of Eddie Lowe. Although not the fastest, he was excellent in the air and an aggressive tackler who always played his heart out. If I recall correctly, he was the longest serving Fulham player after the Maestro.

mrmicawbers

As a young boy Graham Legal always stand out for me.Always thought something would happen when he had the ball

Fernhurst

Robin Lawler was a left half that could put in a good shift at left back. I always thought he had a very nice left foot and played a nice clean game.

Thank you Ray, read a post a few weeks ago suggesting Robin was a right back, however, my first game was viewed from The Johnny Haynes stand from seats at the Hammy End. Robin was right in front of us when we kicking toward Putney.
Seemed like a versatile fellow though.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bobbo

I've posted this once before, under different circumstances.

The year we were relegated and away at Swansea was out final game.
I was in a mixed block of supporters near the halfway line, a mouthy stocky taff in the seat in front
Of me was giving terry Angus so much larrup most of the game, at the final whistle terry made his way towards this individual just as he was climbing the front bit of the stand several stewards restrained him,
I'm pretty sure the mouthy taffeta in front needed to change his underwear when he got home.
1975 just leaving home full of hope