more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 01/05/20...

Started by WhiteJC, May 01, 2020, 08:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham: the basic financial facts

The authoritative @SwissRamble is posting two page financial fact sheets on each Premier League club in response to requests from fans.

As an example, promotion to the Premier League in 2019 saw £100m increase in Fulham revenue, but not enough for a profit, due to higher wages and player amortisation plus low player sales. Huge transfer spend (£120m, 4th highest in Premier League). Debt-free after Shahid Khan converted £155m loans to equity. More detail is available online.

The Swiss Ramble has also produced a fact sheet for Everton. His summary is: 'Everton have had significant investment from owner Farhad Moshiri, driving large increases in debt, transfer spend, wages and player amortisation. Revenue relatively flat in last 3 years, leading to highest loss in the Premier League in 2019 (2018 benefited from high player sales).

https://footballeconomyv2.blogspot.com/2020/04/fulham-basic-financial-facts.html

WhiteJC

Phil McNulty's Hamburg Column

Phil McNulty, the BBC's chief football writer, pens a special column for fulhamfc.com looking back on a unique night at Craven Cottage 10 years ago.

Fulham against Hamburg was a fantastic night all round.

Going into the game, from a journalistic point of view everyone was onto this story about Fulham because of what they'd done in the previous rounds. The other subplot to it was that Fulham were slightly up against the odds because Hamburg had the motivation of the Final being at their stadium. It was a great occasion at Craven Cottage. I suppose not many people thought Fulham would pull it off, but they had so much momentum that there was the feeling you could be onto a really big story, and a historic one as far as Fulham was concerned.

Things didn't begin well but, funnily enough, even though that goal from Mladen Petrić went in, there was no sense at any point that the fans had given up. Perhaps that was because of what had happened against Juventus and teams previously, but I do recall that the atmosphere was not one of desolation. I think the fans had tapped into the fact that this was very much a fighting team, one with a great spirit.

When Simon Davies scored the equaliser there was a real feeling of belief, and then when Zoltan Gera scored the second there was a little bit of a sense of destiny about it. Everyone thinks of Craven Cottage as this nice, homely stadium where the atmosphere can be quite polite at times, but there was a proper European night atmosphere about the place, even when Fulham were behind. And of course, once they went ahead and the Final came into sight, it was absolutely fantastic, albeit very tense at the same time. But the calmest person there was Roy Hodgson. Stood on the touchline, he'd seen and done it all before. In the end Fulham pulled it off, and it was fantastic.

As a member of the media you do remain objective, but we were rooting for Fulham in the press box. Obviously you'll never show any partisanship for anybody, but I think the fact that the story was such a great one; this team that Roy had saved from relegation when he first arrived was suddenly on the brink of a European Final. It was such an unlikely tale. Also, the fact that it was Fulham – who I think pretty much everybody regards with great goodwill as a club and a team – on the verge of this achievement, everybody was willing them on. Obviously not the German journalists, but everybody else, without being partisan about it, was willing them on and hoping they'd do it.

For those European games at the Cottage, the away fans were positioned just to the left of the press box, and I have a memory of Mr Al Fayed coming out before kick-off and giving, to put it politely, a defiant gesture to the Hamburg supporters when he walked past them. But they took it all in good spirits. German fans are absolutely great, they don't mind a bit of back-and-forth. I remember travelling on the train back into central London afterwards and people were mixing on the platforms, it was all very friendly and good natured. A credit to both sets of supporters, there was no ill feeling at all. Obviously Fulham fans were in celebratory mood, while German fans are usually happy to celebrate victory or defeat with lots of lager! But the atmosphere between the two sets of fans was superb, a really great occasion.

Something very, very unusual occurred at the post-match press conference. When Roy entered he was given a very loud round of applause by the journalists, which I can't remember happening too often. It's a bit out of order really, in terms of etiquette, but people thought it was such an achievement by him that it was warranted. Roy was in quite quickly after the final whistle, and literally as he walked in somebody started this round of applause, and it built up. That is a very, very unusual thing to happen. I've seen it once or twice with foreign journalists when a team has pulled off a fantastic victory, but being typically British we're usually a bit more straight laced, a bit more adhering to the etiquette. But on this occasion when Roy came in there was a very, very loud round of applause, which he appreciated and acknowledged.

When something like that happens, you always feel for the people who have covered Fulham for years, because it's such a great thing that they probably never thought would happen. I remember when Blackburn won the title at Liverpool, I was good friends with a guy called Peter White, the Blackburn correspondent who had covered them through the darkest of days, and I remember Peter with tears in his eyes when they won the league at Anfield. And while it wasn't quite like that when Fulham won, my thoughts were for – in addition to the fans and the team – my colleagues who had travelled up and down the country, following Fulham when things weren't so great. This was such a brilliant occasion for them, and they had a Final now to look forward to as well.

I noted in my match report that night that Roy made a point of acknowledging the crestfallen Hamburg players at full-time. He'd seen and done it all, and maybe also because he'd lost a European Final himself with Inter Milan, he realised how the opposition would be feeling, as well as his own players. So he went around and not only congratulated his own players but made a point of consoling the Hamburg players, who I'm sure were looking forward to fighting for the trophy in their own stadium, which would have been a great occasion for them. I think Roy did an absolutely, in many respects, perfect job at Fulham. It was a great time for Roy and in a way it was a shame that it worked against Fulham, because he did so well that Liverpool came and took him, and that didn't work out for him, unfortunately.

We spoke to Danny Murphy before the Final and he came out with a really interesting quote. I think he felt people were slightly patronising Fulham about what they'd done and how they'd done it. He said, "The Manager doesn't sprinkle magic dust on us before we go out, we work very hard at this," because everyone was painting the romantic picture of how they'd ended up playing in the Final. While we can talk about the romance of it, Fulham were also a very good and well organised side. If you look at the team – Mark Schwarzer, Brede Hangeland, people like Zoltan Gera, Danny Murphy, Damien Duff, Bobby Zamora – that is a very good side, and Roy had really drilled them. I think Danny maybe felt that people were suggesting it was some sort of fluke that they'd got there. People like Danny had been around the block, he'd played for Liverpool in the UEFA Cup Final so he knew what it was all about. If you look back at it, there was plenty of experience in that Fulham team, and that maybe is why when Petrić scored that goal in the first half, they were able to remain calm.

It's a shame they couldn't win the Final, but you look back at the team they were up against, and that was a very, very strong Atletico Madrid side. But even then, they almost did it, it was pretty late into extra-time when Atletico scored again. They had people like David De Gea in goal, and the forward line was Sergio Aguero and Diego Forlan, so you are talking about a top class side that Fulham pushed to the wire. It was a great run, and even the Final was a great occasion as well, despite the defeat. It's just frightening that it was 10 years ago!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/april/30/phil-mcnulty-fulham-hamburg-column

WhiteJC

Addicks take on Fulham in Football Manager Cup second round

Charlton prepare for the second round of the Football Manager Cup as they take on Fulham on Thursday afternoon.

The first round saw the Addicks defeat Colchester United in the management sim video game after supporters had voted for manager Alex Avery to utilise a 4-4-2 formation.

After going behind, an Andre Green equaliser made it 1-1 before Colchester regained their lead. But a Lyle Taylor penalty restored parity again before a well-worked routine from a throw-in resulted in Taylor heading home for his brace and the winner.

Avery, the club's Database and Marketing Executive, will now take on the Cottagers, who are managed by Charlie Cooper, creator and star of the BBC's award-winning comedy This Country, in round two.

The makers of Football Manager, a popular computer game, have partnered with Mind and the EFL to bring you the EFL Football Manager Cup – an FM tournament that will take place over the next few weeks.

54 clubs from across the EFL, each represented by a virtual manager, face off in a straight knockout competition with the final two teams left standing facing off in the showpiece final in mid-May.

There are a variety of virtual managers from across the EFL taking part, including first-team players, supporters, staff and even an ex-professional rugby player.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5eaa94809aaff/addicks-take-on-fulham-in-football-manager-cup-second-round

WhiteJC

Fulham let down leaves Burnley needing a win at Maine Road

The last day of the 1959/60 season brought big wins for both Wolves and Spurs and with Burnley unable to beat Fulham at Turf Moor it left us in third place, knowing that a win against Manchester City at Maine Road on the following Monday would see us crowned as champions.

What a week it was in Burnley with the grand opening of the Keirby Hotel on the eve of the important game. It was considered the most luxurious hotel in the north. It had a superb ballroom, a private bath in every bedroom, three luxurious bars, banqueting facilities for parties of up to 250 and special rates for teenage parties. Take a French chef, a pinch of skilled cooks, use some imagination and the result was the cuisine of the Keirby Hotel. The most expensive meal was braised duckling a l'orange priced at 12s 6d but for just 4s 6d (22.5p in today's money) you could have a mushroom omelette. The hotel had been built at a cost of £275,000 on the site of the old Keirby Brewery which was demolished in the 1930s. The land had remained unoccupied until work started on the hotel at the end of 1958.

There might have been a new hotel but there was no further news on the plans to bring piped television in Burnley. At the Annual General Meeting of the Burnley TV Dealers' Association they were told, via the association's solicitor, that the Town Clerk had confirmed that there was no change in the position. It was put on the agenda for the next meeting although a decision was made to step up the need to collect payments from those behind on rental agreements, and a blacklist of debtors had been compiled along with the introduction of a system to expedite clearance of information.

Big events continued to come to town and the last week in April 1960 was no exception with the Burnley Company of Archers staging the opening meeting of the Varley League matches. Besides the local team there were entries from the Bowmen of Ghyll (Barnoldswick), Walverden Bowmen (Nelson), the Rossendale Bowmen and from Todmorden the Stoodley Archers. It was just the first round of matches, with no news on the early leaders, but all teams were chasing the end of season plaque that had been won in the previous year by the Walverden Bowmen.

Burnley's senior probation officer Mr Norman Yates was invited to speak at the lunch for Life Officers. Mr Yates said that he believed the aim of a probation officer was to help to educate rather than to punish and because of this he was very much against bringing back the birch.

One poor Burnley butcher was caught arranging meat in his shop window with a lighted cigarette hanging from his mouth. When he found himself in court he said he'd forgotten he was smoking and apologised to the court, saying it wouldn't happen again. Even so they fined him £5 with £2 2s costs. The fines were certainly very inconsistent fifty years ago. £5 for smoking in a shop, and a similar amount a few months earlier for a motorist charged with dangerous driving after hitting and killing the landlord of the Old Duke pub and failing to stop.

Spare a thought then for Mr Hans Rack, a German textile worker who was living locally. Herr Rack was set to be married at Burnley Register Office but decided four days before the ceremony to call it off and not go through with it. That landed him in front of the local magistrates who were not impressed at all with his behaviour. Found guilty of a breach of promise he was fined £350. I suppose the moral of that story is, if you are fed up with her you're better of killing her than pulling out of the wedding.

In the cricket, both Burnley and Lowerhouse recorded draws with the Lowerhouse professional Jim Minhas taking centre stage. They played East Lancs who batted first and scored 174 all out. Minhas recorded the excellent figures of 9 wickets for 44 runs. In reply, Lowerhouse scored 140/7 with Minhas reaching 51 to earn himself a second collection. Top scorer for Lowerhouse was Peter Sutcliffe with 55. He was a regular opening batsman for Lowerhouse who did not go on to become the Yorkshire Ripper. Burnley got off to a great start against Todmorden with openers Dattu Phadkar (63) and Derek Riley (72) sharing an opening partnership of 136. They went on to score 197/6 declared. However, Todmorden were never in danger and had reached 166/2 at the close of play.

The local media reported ahead of the Fulham game that Burnley were very popular in other parts of the country, so much so that on the return journey from Birmingham after the midweek win they saw people in Staffordshire and Cheshire giving the team coach the thumbs up as it went past. That win at Birmingham had set us up for the Fulham game with Mr Harry Potts naming the strongest side possible. It was billed as the most important last home game of the season in years and a game that should pack the stand and terraces. Burnley, it was said, needed two points, to maintain their championship bid. However, it was not to be with the game ending without a goal.

An end of the season gloom hung over Turf Moor after the match. It was not the usual nostalgic lingering with the feeling that another football year was past and gone, or the bidding of farewell to football friends who, because of it being the last home match, would be separating for several months until another season attempted to claim their attention. In fact, many of those present may have been so overcome with disappointment that probably they forgot to wish each other "All the best and a pleasant summer." Whatever their feelings – and many looked despairingly glum – they'd had a most entertaining year with enough memories to last them through the close season and give them time to recover for the next.

This game could be pigeon-holed as the 'great let down.' Most people expected Burnley to beat Fulham and journey to Maine Road, Manchester on Monday with the title almost – if not quite – won. Expectations were shattered in a most un-champion like display which gave the crowd little to shout about and nothing to enthuse over. For a game of such apparent importance it will be forgotten as just another fixture, and a disappointing one at that.

Fulham had little interest in the affair except as a visit necessary to round off the programme. In fact, at the start of the game they did not appear to have any other object than wishing the 90 minutes would fly by as quickly as possible so they could get back to London and Thames-side Craven Cottage and hang their boots up until 1960/61. They played as if they expected to be beaten, and then, when they found that Burnley were not absolutely bursting with enthusiasm for a winning bonus, decided that they might as well have a go for it themselves.

The Burnley defence was the better part of the team. The forwards lacked method and punch and Meredith was about the best of a mediocre front line. Both goals had escapes, of course, but as the game wore on Burnley had a look of desperation while Fulham were nonchalant about the whole business. And from the point of view of the club, the attendance must have been a bit of a shock. A championship match and under 30,000 present.

The teams were;

Burnley: Adam Blacklaw, John Angus, Alex Elder, Jimmy Adamson, Tommy Cummings, Brian Miller, Trevor Meredith, Jimmy McIlroy, Ray Pointer, Jimmy Robson, Brian Pilkington.

Fulham: Tony Macedo, George Cohen, Jim Langley, Alan Mullery, Roy Bentley, Eddie Lowe, John Key, Brian O'Connell, John Doherty, Johnny Haynes, Trevor Chamberlain.

Referee: Mr A. Holland (Barnsley).

Attendance: 29,856.

The season was over apart from one game – Manchester City v Burnley – to be played two days later on Monday 2nd May.

It was all quite simple now. Wins for Wolves and Spurs had left us in third place. Spurs were out of the running. If we failed to win at Maine Road then Wolves would be champions for a third successive season. If we won, we would be Champions of England. Without doubt, it was going to be a very important day in the history of Burnley Football Club.
First Division Results

30th April 1960

Birmingham 1 Blackburn 0
Burnley 0 Fulham 0
Chelsea 1 Wolves 5
Leeds 1 Nottingham Forest 0
Leicester 1 Bolton 2
Manchester United 5 Everton 0
Newcastle 0 Manchester City 1
Preston 2 Luton 0
Tottenham 4 Blackpool 1
West Brom 1 Arsenal 0
West Ham 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1

https://www.uptheclarets.com/fulham-let-down-leaves-burnley-needing-a-win-at-maine-road

WhiteJC

Hamburg's Shattered Dream

For all the joy we Fulham fans experienced 10 years ago, one can only imagine what it must have been like for the Hamburg supporters who were denied the chance to witness a major European Final in their own stadium.

We spoke to Florian Neumann who was in the away end that night for an evening of football which had a lasting effect...

What did you do in the build-up to the game?

I went there one day before the game with my then girlfriend. We did some sightseeing, drank some beer in the pub, the things you do in London. The best thing was that I flew from Hamburg, and the team was flying on the same day, so I met all the players in the airport lounge. The team seemed very optimistic because they were joking around, and this and that. It was a very good start at this point!

Bruno Labbadia was in charge for the First Leg, but he was sacked that weekend after a heavy defeat in the Bundesliga – how much of an effect did that have?

There were some problems between the team and the manager, Bruno Labbadia. He had some problems with his players, so the fans thought the First Leg was 'a game against the manager,' and that they weren't so motivated because something was broken between the team and the manager. I blame the whole thing on Bruno Labbadia! His personal relationship with the players broke the whole thing. We had this bad feeling about the attitude of the team in our stomachs. It was an uncertain time.

You started very well in the match – did Hamburg often begin games that positively?

Yes, but it was missing in the First Leg when they were very anxious and not motivated enough because of the whole manager situation. In the Second Leg we could see what this team was all about, it was very offensive and aggressive, with Petrić and van Nistelrooy up front. The whole thing went very right for us in the first 25 minutes, because Petrić scored the first goal.

What was the atmosphere like among the Hamburg fans when that goal went in?

At first we went very crazy. We were all standing on the seats, and when the goal was scored everything went very crazy. I went three rows up, three rows down, drinks went everywhere. Everyone was very happy, but after one minute of enjoying it we all knew there was way too much time and that Hamburg always screw those things up. We always throw it away when we are so near to reaching something.

You were nervous, then?

Very nervous. You always have some optimistic fans, but for me I was very, very nervous. Every 30 seconds I was looking at the clock. As a football fan in that situation you always feel like time is not moving. It was so hard.

Fulham scored twice in eight second half minutes, which must have been a shock to the system?

When the first goal was scored, everything was okay because we had the away goal. But then in the 76th minute it was like being shot in the head. The season was so long, everything with the manager, and the year before we'd also got to the Semi-Finals and lost against a German team, our arch rivals [Werder Bremen]. So you don't have the stamina, the power in yourself to keep going. The Capo of the ultras, someone I know personally, just watched into the stands and tried to push the fans: "come on, come on guys!" But I could see in his eyes that he was also very empty, with no power there. We were so done at this moment, and I guess the team was also.

How did you feel after the match?

To be honest, I didn't feel anything. There was nothing left, I was so empty. The last two years with Hamburg had been so hard. We'd been in the German Cup Semi-Finals the year before, as well as the UEFA Cup, and then the Semi-Finals again [in 2010]. It had totally emptied me. When the game was over, we were waiting there for I don't even know how long, five minutes, 20 minutes, 50 minutes, five hours, I don't know, before I left the stadium. My girlfriend and I didn't talk until the next morning. What could we say? Everything went bad. There were some other fans who blamed it on the CEO or the sporting director, or whatever. But I couldn't even blame someone at this time. I was empty, and I suppose many Hamburg fans were feeling like that. Some were angry, some were depressed, but the emptiness was way too big. That weekend we had a home game against Nuremburg and someone told me the other day that we won this game 4-0. I was there, standing where I always stand, but I don't remember it. I was there like a robot.

Was it especially hard to take as the Final was in Hamburg?

Of course. Even though the better team won this game, I still think that Hamburg had the better players. I don't know if we could have beaten Atletico, but Fulham weren't that good. Their team had a togetherness who left everything on the pitch in those two games, so they deserved to win. They weren't lucky, they played their best game, and won it. But for us, not playing in our own stadium, that was very hard.

Aside from the result, how did you like Craven Cottage?

This is what football is about; a small, old stadium with old stands, you've got this Cottage on the side, very unusual, and it smelt like the old English football. This was my first British football stadium, and it was perfect. I liked it very much, but I also hated it! Once the game was over I never wanted to go there again, because the pain was too much. On a funny note, Hamburg had a chance to play in the Europa League again a couple of years later, and Fulham also were in qualifying for it. Of course there could have been the chance to go to that stadium again, but I didn't want it to happen for a football game, so I went to London and visited the stadium so that I could release the pain. It was so hard that I couldn't stand there without crying. I'm not lying, as I stood there three years later, I was crying because it was so hard at the time in 2010, so I had to go there again before going for another football game.

What did you do on the day of the Final?

I had bought a ticket very early through UEFA because I didn't know if I'd get one if Hamburg reached the Final. I had a ticket, so I went to the game. I quit smoking a few weeks before the Final, went there, sat down in the stadium, watched it all, then started smoking again! It was all so unreal, watching the Final in your own stadium after losing the Semi-Final. There were some tears involved, of course, but in some seats to the left there was an old Spanish man, fully dressed in Atletico clothes, very, very nervous and telling us that it's so long ago that they won something. He was very, very nervous, and so I told him that we'd been waiting for a title for 30 years as well, and knew how he felt.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/april/30/hamburg-shattered-dream

WhiteJC

Pundit issues verdict on season's end that'll completely divide Leeds, West Brom, Fulham and Nott'm Forest

Jamie O'Hara has been discussing the possibility of creating a 22-team Premier League including Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion, who would be promoted out of the Championship.

Leeds currently top the Championship and have West Brom hot on their tail, a point behind, but the season is on hold and there's no resume date set as public safety becomes the priority across the UK.

A number of outcomes ranging from finalising the table on 'points per game' right through to voiding the season entirely.

In the view of pundit, Jamie O'Hara, he feels it would be unfair to 'punish' sides with relegation when the season can't be finished, but the likes of Premier League leaders Liverpool, Leeds and West Brom should be rewarded.

For him, Leeds and West Brom should be competing in a 22-team Premier League, with Norwich City, Aston Villa and AFC Bournemouth spared of relegation.

Speaking on talkSPORT, O'Hara said: "For me, I don't think you can punish people and you can't relegate people so I think you make Liverpool champions, you have no relegation, Leeds and West Brom come up and five go down the next season.

"Imagine a season with Leeds and West Brom in it and all the teams fighting again. It will be brilliant."

Whilst Leeds and West Brom would be rewarded, it leaves Fulham, Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Preston North End without a play-off campaign to compete in.

However, for O'Hara that's just 'hard luck'.

He continued: "It's hard luck on teams like Fulham and Nottingham Forest who are in the play-offs but you weren't there after 75 per cent of the season.

"Let them (Leeds and West Brom) go up and then just don't relegate the other teams."

The Verdict 

This idea will be music to the ears of Leeds and West Brom fans, but Fulham and Nottingham Forest won't be convinced at all.

They will argue they deserve the chance to at least play-off for promotion, just like Leeds and West Brom deserve their shot at the Premier League.

In this scenario, you simply can't please everyone, so how the FA and EFL rule needs some careful consideration.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/pundit-issues-verdict-on-seasons-end-thatll-completely-divide-leeds-west-brom-fulham-and-nottm-forest/

WhiteJC

Fulham FC's Team Doctor Tending to the Homeless

Justin Yeoh working in hotels where vulnerable people are staying during pandemic

Dr Justin Yeoh in his more familiar role.

Fulham FC's team doctor usually treats the championship club's players including top goal-scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic but during the coronavirus pandemic he is caring for vulnerable homeless people .

Dr Justin Yeoh is swapping the club's Craven Cottage ground whilst matches are suspended for hotels where Hammersmith and Fulham council is housing homeless people during lockdown.

He said the voluntary work he's doing to help vulnerable homeless people is "very rewarding".

During lockdown Fulham FC and the Fulham FC Foundation has also been working with many groups in the community.

Dr Yeoh said they "have been keeping in touch with supporters and people from our neighbourhood".

Dr Justin Yeoh. Picture: Fulham FC

Many of the homeless people he will be caring for could have complex health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, addiction and mental health problems, and have a higher rate of respiratory issues which could put them more at risk of the virus.

During the coronavirus pandemic Hammersmith and Fulham council is teaming up with St Mungo's and Turning Point to help tackle a range of issues including drug and alcohol use, mental health issues and domestic abuse whilst people are in the hotels, as well as feeding them and providing medicines.

They are also using the time to help find long-term solutions to people's housing needs – which may be complex.

Dr Yeoh said, "Whilst football is currently suspended, I'm glad to have been invited to offer my services to Turning Point and work closely with them, St Mungo's and the local authority to support the tremendous work being carried out with the homeless in the borough."

Dr Mohammed Al-Saidi, consultant addictions psychiatrist at Turning Point said, "Dr Yeoh's support on our clinical team is a great opportunity to reach some of the most vulnerable people in society and treat their addiction. This is a crucial step for many to get off the streets for good."

Dr Yeoh is a specialist in sports and exercise medicine and was part of the team treating Olympians at the aquatics and diving centre during London 2012.

He also helped the GB wheelchair tennis team and worked at the Athletes' Village Medical Centre and track-side at the main stadium during the 2012 Paralympics.

He's also worked with people with complex injuries at the national Defence Military Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court in Surrey.

He urged other healthcare professionals to contact [email protected] if they can help.

And he urged people: "Do remember to follow the guidelines on social distancing – 'stay home and save lives!'"

Julia Gregory - Local Democracy Reporter

May 1, 2020

http://www.fulhamsw6.com/default.asp?section=info&page=ldrscovid003.htm

WhiteJC

How Premier League would conclude if England follow France's lead to cancel season

Ligue de Football Professionnel has awarded Paris Saint-Germain the title and relegated Amiens and Toulouse, despite there being 11 games left to play this season

France has set a precedent by cancelling the Ligue 1 campaign with 11 games left to play and naming Paris Saint-Germain champions.

PSG were awarded a ninth title due to being at the summit of the French top-flight based on a points-per-game system.

Marseille were second at the time of the suspension, while Rennes third.

Ligue de Football Professionnel has therefore decided that these two clubs will represent France in the Champions League next season.

This comes as a blow for Lille, who were fourth, and a single point behind Rennes.

And, obviously, as a massive boost for Rennes, who will be featuring in the competition for the first time in the club's history.

Behind Lille, Nice were placed fifth while Reims sixth. These three clubs will therefore represent France in the Europa League.

Lille were on 49 points when the season was suspended, while Reims and Nice were both joint on 41 points - a single point more than Lyon, Montpellier and Monaco in seventh, eighth, and ninth respectively.

At the other end of the table, rock-bottom Toulouse have been relegated to Ligue 2, and they will be joined by Amiens, who were nineteenth when the season was suspended.

The two teams replacing them in the top-flight are FC Lorient, who were top of Ligue 2, and RC Lens, who were second.

The French league system is different to England's when it comes to play-offs.

In England, the four teams in the Championship who finish between third and sixth face off against each other until the one overall winner is promoted.

They then take the place of one of three teams relegated.

In France, the play-off system sees the team who finished seventeenth in Ligue 1 play the team who finished third in Ligue 2 over two legs.

The overall winner then plays in the top flight next season, meaning the number of teams being relegated and promoted can change each campaign.

If the Premier league was to follow France's lead, then this is how things would look:

1.Liverpool - 2.83

2.Manchester City - 2.04

3.Leicester City - 1.83

4.Chelsea - 1.66

5.Manchester United - 1.55

6.Sheffield United - 1.54

7.Wolves - 1.48

8.Arsenal - 1.43

9.Tottenham - 1.41

10.Burnley - 1.34

11.Crystal Palace - 1.34

12.Everton - 1.28

13.Newcastle United - 1.21

14.Southampton - 1.17

15.Brighton - 1.00

16.West Ham United - 0.93

17.Watford - 0.93

18.Bournemouth - 0.93

19.Aston Villa - 0.89

20.Norwich City - 0.72

Liverpool would be awarded a very first Premier League title, and they would be joined in the Champions League next season by Manchester City,Leicester City and Chelsea.

Manchester United,Wolves and Sheffield United would therefore be representing England in the Europa League next season, with Tottenham and Arsenal missing out.

At the bottom, things are a little more complicated.

Following the French system would see Norwich, Aston Villa and, perhaps, Bournemouth all be relegated to the Championship.

Leeds and West Brom, who are currently first and second in the Championship, would then be promoted in their place, but the difference in the play-off system means the English FA would then have to make a decision on the third team.

It could follow suit and promote third-placed Fulham (who would still be third in the Championship on a points-per-game system) at the expense of Bournemouth, who occupy the eighteenth spot in the Premier League.

Or it may decide to relegate only two teams, which would mean the Cherries survive the drop, while Fulham remain in Championship.

The FA has yet to decide once and for all how it's going to conclude the season, if at all.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-premier-league-would-conclude-21954142

WhiteJC

FULHAMERICA: The 10 USMNT Players Who Have Featured at Craven Cottage

With so many U.S. nationals playing abroad these days, it's easy to forget that the process of earning respect and opportunities has been a long road paved through decades. While players are now spread out across of a multitude of countries and leagues, a handful of clubs have shown a particular faith and affinity for the American professionals.

Over the next week, we'll take a look at clubs where U.S. players have made a particularly strong impact in numbers and performance through the years.

This week's coverage has stretched to English Premier League club Everton FC, Germany Bundesliga side VfL Wolfsburg and Club Tijuana of Liga MX.

Today, we head back to England and page through the many contributions of USMNT players at Fulham FC, affectionately known as "Fulhamerica."

Craven Cottage can rightly claim to be the home of Americans abroad, with no less than 10 of the USA's finest having suited up for Fulham. In fact, during one game in 2008 – coincidentally a 1-0 shutout against Tim Howard and Everton – they fielded five U.S. players in the same game!

Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann got the ball rolling in 1999, with Eddie Lewis joining a year later. Both moved on to make bigger impacts with other clubs in 2002, but the train had left the station and continues to roll to this day.

The next influx came two years later. Carlos Bocanegra – who captained the USMNT a record 64 times – and heralded veteran striker Brian McBride arrived from Chicago Fire and Columbus Crew, respectively, during the January 2004 transfer window. They would link up early in their Fulham tenure (see below), and both would go on to become fan favorites at the Cottage.

Just as he did when he arrived on loan to Everton the previous season, McBride found the back of the net in his Fulham debut against Tottenham, tapping home a rebound to give the Cottagers a 2-1 victory. Through the years, the target striker would chip in 41 goals in 154 matches across all competitions, notably scoring in a November 2006 victory against Arsenal – Fulham's first against the Gunners in 40 years – as well as a crucial goal in 2008 (we'll get to that in a bit).

A solid contributor through the years, Bocanegra often chipped in at left back and even a few times in defensive midfield for Fulham. The USMNT's all-time leading scorer among defenders, Bocanegra's set piece prowess also translated to his Fulham tenure, scoring eight career goals for the Cottagers.

The duo's performances set the arrival of Clint Dempsey in 2007 and a dramatic finish that etched the names of three players in history. McBride finished with a team-high nine goals, and the defender Bocanegra came second with five, but it was Dempsey's first goal – a game-winner in the 1-0 win against Liverpool on the penultimate matchday that staved off relegation for the Cottagers (see below).

Goalkeeper Kasey Keller and forward Eddie Johnson were additions the following year, with McBride named club captain before an injury suffered on the opening day of the season kept him out for a large part of the campaign. McBride returned in the spring and provided three goals down the stretch in wins against Everton (see below), Reading and Birmingham City to help Fulham stay up and leading to his second-straight selection as Fulham's Player of the Year.

His USMNT roommate Keller then provided the heroics once again on the final matchday with a clean sheet against Portsmouth that once again ensured Fulham's place in the top flight. With four Americans departing – McBride's legacy is so strong at Craven Cottage that a bar inside the stadium was later named in his honor – it was Dempsey's time to shine in the solo spotlight.

Dempsey established himself as one of the greatest Americans to ever play in the Premiership. In a six-season run, he became the Cottagers' all-time leading goal scorer with 50 league goals and led the team to its highest-ever English Premier League finish of seventh in 2009.

The next season, Dempsey scored an unthinkable strike in a Europa League second leg fixture against Juventus and became the first American to play in a major European club final when Fulham reached the championship match where they narrowly fell to Atletico Madrid.

Dempsey also grabbed the EPL goal-scoring record for an American when he notched his 37th strike, surpassing former teammate McBride's previous mark. Though he departed for Tottenham in 2012 and then joined Seattle Sounders FC the following year, Dempsey made a brief loan return to Fulham, playing five matches for the club in early 2014.

Emerson Hyndman kicked off the next wave in 2014, then it was Tim Ream's turn to write his own chapter. Now with more than 175 matches played in all competitions, he has earned the captain's armband as well as the 2017-18 Fulham Player of the Year award. U.S. prospect Luca de la Torre is the latest in the line and has seen some time for the club in the FA Cup, League Cup and the Championship.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2020/04/fulhamerica-the-10-usmnt-players-who-have-featured-at-craven-cottage

WhiteJC

Premier League: Who produced the greatest relegation escape?

Which escape was the greatest?

With the Premier League season on hold, the fight to avoid relegation must wait.

With Norwich six points from safety at the bottom, boss Daniel Farke had already said the Canaries need a "miracle" to stay up.

We're yet to find out when - or if - Norwich will resume their battle to beat the drop, but they will be able to take inspiration from previous survival acts.

Here we look back at the Premier League's great escapes - and you can let us know which one you think is the greatest by voting at the bottom of the page.

Oldham 1992-93

Oldham games saw a combined 137 goals (63 for, 74 against) – more than any other side. Only Blackburn (68) and Manchester United (67) scored more.

Top league scorer: Ian Olney (11).

Other key men: Gunnar Halle, Nick Henry, Andy Ritchie.

Oldham were one of the Premier League's founder members but to survive for season two they had to pull off some heroics in the final week.

The Latics faced Aston Villa, who were still in the title race, knowing they had to win their last three games - and hope Crystal Palace gained no more than a point from their last two.

But Joe Royle's side won 1-0 at Villa before beating Liverpool 3-2 in midweek. That night Palace drew at Manchester City so it went down to the final day.

Palace fell behind at Arsenal while the Latics romped into a 4-1 lead over Southampton. And although the Saints made it 4-3 to set up a nervy finish, Oldham held on to stay up on goal difference.

West Brom 2004-05

West Brom became the first Premier League side to avoid relegation having been bottom on Christmas Day.

Top league scorer: Robert Earnshaw (11).

Other key men: Kieran Richardson, Zoltan Gera, Geoff Horsfield.

The ultimate nail-biter. This is the only Premier League campaign where all three relegation places were decided on the final day.

And never mind being bottom at Christmas, West Brom had slipped back there before the last game - and remained bottom for most of the final day. The Baggies had to beat Portsmouth and hope their three relegation rivals all failed to win.

Norwich were thumped by Fulham and although Southampton took the lead against Manchester United, the Red Devils fought back. So, heading into the closing stages, it was between West Brom and Crystal Palace.

The Baggies won 2-0, although celebrations for the second goal were muted as Palace had just come from behind to lead at Charlton.

With eight minutes left, Charlton levelled it up again. Then with their game over, West Brom players and staff waited on the touchline for Palace's final score: 2-2 - cue pandemonium at The Hawthorns.

Portsmouth 2005-06

Portsmouth picked up more points in their final 10 league games (20) than during their first 28 (18).

Top league scorer: Lomana LuaLua (7).

Other key men: Pedro Mendes, Gary O'Neill, Svetoslav Todorov.

Sometimes it just takes one goal to turn things around. With 10 games left, Pompey were eight points from safety when they hosted Manchester City.

They were set to go nine games without a win when City cleared a corner towards Pedro Mendes, who slammed a stoppage-time winner into the top corner.

Portsmouth were a side transformed. Having scored four goals in their previous 10 games, they scored seven in their next two, winning at West Ham and Fulham.

Further victories over Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Wigan saw them secure safety with a game to spare, having claimed 20 points from a possible 27.

Fulham 2007-08

Fulham won eight league games - four of their first 33, then four of their last five.

Top league scorer: Clint Dempsey (6).

Other key men: Brian McBride, Diomansy Kamara, Danny Murphy.

The Cottagers twice came back from the brink in 2008. Derby went down with what remains the Premier League's lowest points total (11) and with 20 minutes left at Manchester City, Fulham were about to join them.

Roy Hodgson's men were 2-0 down and set to go six points adrift with two games left. Surely it was over?

Diomansy Kamara had other ideas. Out of nothing, the Senegalese striker pulled one back. Then Danny Murphy equalised before Kamara lashed in a stoppage-time winner.

Victory over Birmingham put Fulham's fate in their own hands but with the Blues and Reading both winning on the final day, it was a tense afternoon at Portsmouth.

Fourteen minutes from time, Murphy headed home from a free-kick to keep Fulham up on goal difference.

Wigan 2011-12

Wigan picked up more points in their last nine games (21) than any other side - even champions Manchester City (20).

Top league scorer: Franco Di Santo (7).

Other key men: Gary Caldwell, Victor Moses, Shaun Maloney.

With nine games left, Wigan were only three points from safety. But this survival act was about the volume of points and the quality of the opposition.

After one win in 14, check out Wigan's next three away games - Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal. They also had to face leaders Manchester United.

It was all hands up to the pump - and Roberto Martinez's side had eight different scorers in their last nine games.

The Latics gave themselves hope with a first-ever win at Anfield before Shaun Maloney's goal gave them a first-ever win over United. They followed that up with a first-ever win at Arsenal.

And despite losing at Fulham, Wigan sealed the deal in style, winning their last three games to finish 15th.

Sunderland 2013-14

Between April and May 2014, Sunderland won four straight Premier League games – for the first time since December 2000.

Top league scorer: Adam Johnson (8).

Other key men: Seb Larsson, Fabio Borini, Connor Wickham.

Boss Gus Poyet said Sunderland needed "a miracle" - and it took an unlikely hero to spark this rescue mission.

One point from 24 left the Black Cats seven points adrift with six games left and they still had to visit Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United.

Enter Connor Wickham, who had just returned after spending most of the season on loan in the Championship.

The striker scored five in three as Sunderland drew 2-2 at City before beating Chelsea and Cardiff.

Seb Larsson's acrobatic volley secured victory at Old Trafford and a 2-0 win over West Brom saw Sunderland stay up with a game to spare.

Leicester 2014-15

Leicester became just the third Premier League side to be bottom at Christmas and avoid relegation - after West Brom (2004-05) and Sunderland (2013-14).

Top league scorer: Leonardo Ulloa (13).

Other key men: Esteban Cambiasso, Andy King, Jamie Vardy.

Leicester's extraordinary title win is even more remarkable when you consider that 29 games into the previous season, they were seven points from safety at the bottom. And that season was also bonkers.

With Nigel Pearson battling to avoid an immediate return to the Championship, the pressure seemed to show in February as he was involved in a bizarre touchline clash with Crystal Palace midfielder James McArthur.

The club denied rumours that Pearson was sacked and swiftly reinstated, yet the Foxes were still bottom in April.

But a 2-1 home win over West Ham sparked a run of 22 points from 27, which saw Leicester clinch survival with a game to go and ultimately finish 14th.

The only blip during the run-in was a defeat at champions Chelsea, when Pearson walked out of the post-match news conference after asking a reporter if he was an ostrich.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52475052