watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 04/05/20...

Started by WhiteJC, May 04, 2020, 08:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

English Football League: No fans at games until 2021, according to leaked recording

Alex Rodman (left) joined Bristol Rovers from Shrewsbury in the summer of 2018

There are fears fans will not be able to attend English Football League games until January 2021, according to a leaked recording heard by the BBC.

Alex Rodman, Professional Footballers' Association delegate for Bristol Rovers, was talking to team-mates after a call with clubs, the EFL and PFA.

In the recording, obtained by BBC Points West, Rodman also said the prospect of a 23-team Premier League for next season had been discussed.

Rovers are investigating the leak.

BBC Sport understands no final decisions were made during Wednesday's call between club, EFL and PFA representatives, when several different ideas were discussed.

The EFL will follow the government's guidelines before making any decisions on whether or not the 2019-20 season can resume, how the issues of promotion and relegation will be decided if not, and when fans can attend matches.

In the recording, Rodman claims: "We won't be playing any games with any fans this year, they [the EFL] don't think so. We'll be looking at January 2021 [for fans] unless a cure pops up."

The winger also mentions to team-mates a scenario in which, if the season could not resume, league placings would be decided "on sporting merit".

Three teams would then be promoted from each EFL division but with no relegations, leading to a 23-team Premier League for 2020-21 and then extra relegation spots in future seasons throughout the pyramid to balance the numbers back out.

The EFL is still understood to want to finish the current campaign if safe to do so.

No elite football fixtures have been held in England since 13 March's suspension of games across the country because of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52493649

WhiteJC

Boot The Virus

Fulham players have pledged to support a new campaign called Boot the Virus that will raise money to support the NHS as they continue to fight against the coronavirus.

The campaign has been set up by two Preston North End fans to unite the football community and raise crucial funds to help support the incredible work being done by NHS staff across the country during this tragic crisis.

The idea is simple, they are asking professional football stars throughout the UK to donate a pair of signed matchday boots which will then be auctioned online here with supporters able to bid and raise money that will be sent directly to the NHS.

Kenny Marland and his partner Joanne are behind the campaign, with Kenny currently undergoing chemotherapy in his fourth battle against cancer. Speaking about the campaign, he said: "I have a personal affinity with the NHS heroes due to my vulnerable situation, I am frustrated at having to stay at home when I would rather be volunteering to help the wonderful people at the NHS.

"I was pondering how I could combine my passion for football and help out, then the idea of Boot the Virus came to me in a chat with Joanne. So, we are asking professional footballers and retired professionals from all the leagues in England to donate a pair of their signed matchday boots.

"I know times are difficult right now, but the plan is for all donated items to go to an online auction via our website, giving fans the opportunity to own a piece of sporting memorabilia with 100 per cent of the monies raised going directly to the NHS. If it helps the heroes in the NHS and brings some joy to football fans by owning such an item, then that's brilliant."

The online campaign involves a commitment from one player to provide a pair of signed boots to the cause before they are asked to nominate another four players to take part. Cyrus Christie, Joe Bryan, Steven Sessegnon, Matt O'Riley, Stefan Johansen, Bobby Decordova-Reid, Harrison Reed, Alfie Mawson, Harry Arter, Denis Odoi, Neeskens Kebano, Tim Ream, Marcus Bettinelli, Aleksandar Mitrović, and Kevin McDonald have already provided a pair of boots each.

The challenge is for all clubs to be represented in this campaign with as many players as possible from each club showing their support.

The auction is now live, and is set to finish at 3pm on Monday 25th May. For more information please visit bootthevirus.com and if you have any queries please contact [email protected].

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/may/01/boot-the-virus