more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anthony Knockaert wants season to end now amid Covid fears

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 09, 2020, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Anthony Knockaert wants season to end now amid Covid fears

He believes the Premier League and EFL should follow what has happened in his native France.

Knockaert's current club Fulham are on course for the play-offs and could even grab a top-two spot with wins over Leeds and West Brom if play resumes.

But he has revealed he is scared of catching Covid-19 and passing it on.

He has called for players to have a say in whether football returns in the coming weeks. And he insists he would currently ube against playing.

The winger said: "I think every player will be different in these situations.

"Personally, I don't think it would be the best decision to keep playing in the sense that we, the players, are going to be taking a risk.

"We all have family at home. I'm 28, I have children, I have a family who I can see from time to time.

"That scares you. I realise that, if I catch the virus, I could very easily give it to those close to me and that can be very dangerous.

"I think more about things like that.

"There are players who think more about the sport and are very keen to go back and will forget the virus and are ready to take risks.

"Right now, if I had to return to the league and return to work, I would give it my all. But, if I could give my opinion, I would be against it because I think this is also a risk for us, the players.

"We are humans. We can catch it as well.

"I have seen three leagues cancelled. Belgium, France and the Netherlands, for me, have taken the right decision.

"Now we will see what other countries do.

"Germany are starting again soon and I see that as a bit absurd, a bit dangerous for society and for the players.

"For me the best in this case is that players have the right to speak and say what they want.

"The government and the leagues will take decisions but in all that you have the players.

"It's absurd not to take into account the opinions of the players."

Albion technical director Dan Ashworth has confirmed the club are alive to and listening to concerns individual players have about returning to training sessions and matches.

Knockaert was speaking via video link to presenter, and Albion fan, Darren Tulett in an interview for beIN Sport in France.

He added: "I think a lot of players agree with me. It's scary. I'm scared of catching the virus when I go shopping and I'm not just thinking of me.

"If I catch it, I am young and in good health and can come through it.

"But I could pass it on to people close to me who are more vulnerable.

"The day that happens, we will have it on our conscience for the rest of our lives and it's the same with football."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18437477.anthony-knockaert-wants-season-end-now-amid-covid-fears/

filham

I really want to see us play the last nine games of the season and hopefully be promoted to the premier league. I  think that with modern communications and by playing games behind closed doors it should be possible to safely achieve this.

At the same time I see exactly where Knok.is coming from and would not dream of opposing what he says.

fulhamben

I might be wrong, but didn't he jet off on holiday the second the league was suspended
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

Quote from: fulhamben on May 09, 2020, 03:38:35 PM
I might be wrong, but didn't he jet off on holiday the second the league was suspended
If that is the case then it not going to be easy for him to get back and be ready to play as the rumour is that a 14 day quarantine may soon be in place at airports.

Whitesideup

Quote from: filham on May 09, 2020, 05:08:32 PM
If that is the case then it not going to be easy for him to get back and be ready to play as the rumour is that a 14 day quarantine may soon be in place at airports.

The bit in French says he talks about him being in lockdown in the UK.....so if he took a holiday he must have come back.

Statto

Got absolutely no sympathy for this. Millions of people have continued to work through the lockdown and millions more will be going back to work in a few weeks. Most of them will be much older and/or more vulnerable than these healthy young footballers like Knockaert.

Tbh this has just reinforced my view that he's a bit of a ponce really.

I also hope any footballers protesting about having to play at least agree that, if they don't play, they should be on zero pay, backdated from the last match in March and lasting until they play again.

Whitesideup

But this is a real tricky subject. At some stage the economy has to get going again and people will have to go back to work. It is important to take workers views into consideration, but they have to be reasonable. Those who have been in lockdown will undoubtedly face some form of risk of catching COVID - there will be no such thing as a totally safe environment ... for anyone. But where do you draw the line? And at what stage can an employer say, well, your view is fine, but I can't afford it. I can't afford to pay you not to work, the government cannot afford it any more, and the business (for those that have survived) needs some one to do the work. Very tricky. And at the extreme footballers could argue that they will not be safe until COVID is totally eradicated.

But did bus drivers get a choice? Refuse workers, construction workers, shop workers? Even my daughter who works as a chemist in the agricultural business is obliged to go into work. She was not given a choice.

But yes, football is different in that social distancing in games will not be possible (maybe we'll see less contact at corners?) .. but extensive testing could reduce the risk considerably. The key questions are; at what stage is the risk acceptable? who takes the decision? and what happens to those that disagree?

There should also be legal certainty because not only do you want to keep your staff safe, you would not want claims citing negligence in the illness or, worst case, death  of a footballer.

davew

Probably, he has been missing most of the season, not sure he would be picked for the remaining games (if they are played), I wouldn´t pick him!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

RaySmith

I would think that testing would give you zero risk.

If all the players on the pitch don't have it, then how can they give it to each other, even from flying sweat, snot, blood etc.

Always the chance a player could  catch it between  testing and the game , if there was any time lapse, but  a very small chance if they keep them  isolated.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on May 09, 2020, 06:02:01 PM
Got absolutely no sympathy for this. Millions of people have continued to work through the lockdown and millions more will be going back to work in a few weeks. Most of them will be much older and/or more vulnerable than these healthy young footballers like Knockaert.

Tbh this has just reinforced my view that he's a bit of a ponce really.

I also hope any footballers protesting about having to play at least agree that, if they don't play, they should be on zero pay, backdated from the last match in March and lasting until they play again.

What you've missed there is the people going back to work,a lot will be doing their jobs still at social distancing where possible.
The last time I watched football it was a contact sport,tackling,jumping up for headers together and so.
Everyday now players are coming out with the same thoughts, and they're all saying playing all the games behind closed doors will make it a farce.
Null n Void season.
Start off with same set of fixtures next season.
People's lives more important than kicking a ball,and that's coming from me,someone missing it like hell.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: RaySmith on May 09, 2020, 06:57:25 PM
I would think that testing would give you zero risk.

If all the players on the pitch don't have it, then how can they give it to each other, even from flying sweat, snot, blood etc.

Always the chance a player could  catch it between  testing and the game , if there was any time lapse, but  a very small chance if they keep them  isolated.

Not 100% guarnteed that it could be picked up from staff at the grounds,off of a surface or whatever.

Statto

I'd be interested to hear an expert's opinion as to which of these situations carries a higher risk of death...

Situation A, an obese 50 year old spending 9am to 5pm, 8 hours, sharing a small, poorly ventilated office with a handful of other people, whose desks are 2m away from him. None of the other people have been tested so there's no way of knowing if they have the virus.

Situation B, a fit 25 year old spending 90 minutes running around in the open air with other lads. He'll probably spend a few minutes in very close proximity to many of the other players, but they've all tested negative for coronavirus on the morning of the game (as have all the coaches, ground staff, physio etc).

Mince n Tatties

Not going to get into an argument about it with you,for the simple reason you can't be polite, and started your reply with"Interested to hear an Experts Opinion".
Which is  a sarcastic dig at me.
I'm no expert just gave my opinion.
Bye now.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Statto on May 09, 2020, 07:46:13 PM
Situation B, a fit 25 year old spending 90 minutes running around in the open air with other lads. He'll probably spend a few minutes in very close proximity to many of the other players, but they've all tested negative for coronavirus on the morning of the game (as have all the coaches, ground staff, physio etc).

For this to happen there would need to be a new form of testing which is not only much quicker to derive results from but also more reliable. There are many reports of false positives, false negatives, and of test reliability ranging from anywhere between 60% - 95%. At present there is too high a likelihood of at least one matchday staff receiving an incorrect result either way, and there would only be a small window of time in-which to double check.

Twig

Personally I am a bit divided on this. Football is a contact sport and there will be risks, no question. So I understand players who are concerned about restarting even behind closed doors.
On the other hand the vast majority of players continue to accept their huge salaries month in, month out. If they don't want to play donate 90% to charity. That would gain my respect.

Statto

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on May 09, 2020, 08:20:00 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 09, 2020, 07:46:13 PM

For this to happen there would need to be a new form of testing which is not only much quicker to derive results from but also more reliable. There are many reports of false positives, false negatives, and of test reliability ranging from anywhere between 60% - 95%. At present there is too high a likelihood of at least one matchday staff receiving an incorrect result either way, and there would only be a small window of time in-which to double check.

Those tests exist. This is testing whether someone currently has the virus, not the antibodies tests, which seem to have been much more controversial. Admittedly I've no idea whether/how the FA will get access to thousands of those tests when the national priority is obviously testing NHS staff, care home staff et al. But from what I've read theyre not proposing to restart football until that's resolved, ie until they have access to fast, accurate testing.

HobGoblin

I mean we should utilise the NHS people to sit there at football games up and down the country to wait on a player potentially being injured. Or they can be helping the many people up and down the country that require help at this time.

RaySmith

Clubs have their own medical staff and doctors they can use.

Why  do we need NHS staff in case of injury at games, when we didn't have that before?

fulhamben

Quote from: RaySmith on May 10, 2020, 02:28:40 AM
Clubs have their own medical staff and doctors they can use.

Why  do we need NHS staff in case of injury at games, when we didn't have that before?
incase of a bad injury. Or a underlying health issue. Would Muamba still be with us today if the nhs hadn't been on hand to take over from the club doctor
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.