more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Wimbledon’s New Stadium

Started by H4usuallysitting, May 10, 2020, 03:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Fulham 442

Excellent news.  So pleased for them going back to their roots.

bog

Phenomenal. Surely one of the great stories of a club rising from the ashes of nothing left is AFC Wimbledon. Supporters whose determination refused to let their beloved club die. Good luck to them.  :54:

092.gif

filham

That is the new Plough Lane I imagine, when is it scheduled to open.
A great success , so pleased for the fans. Who is responsible for all of this, I would think they deserve more recognition, perhaps even a knighthood.

mrmicawbers

Good Luck to them must be brilliant for the fans returning.Not a large stadia by the looks but perfectly adequate I'm sue.

Fulham 442

Their Chief Executive, Joe Palmer, has been one of the driving forces as he wants to take the fans back to their spiritual home.  I believe the leasehold at Kingsmeadow is now owned by Chelsea as they purchased it in 2015 in order to use it for their women's and youth teams and to help AFC finance their new stadium.

bobbo

Very pleased for them . The older fans who were at plough lane years back must be ecstatic.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Jimsbeerbelly

That's all fine, but, with them back in the area, surely it poses a threat to our fanbase, no?

Not now, but, if they become a bit more successful, then they could nick a few of our fans, or even academy kids.

Rumour has it, Kahn bought that plot of land opposite Motspur, as Wimbledon we're sniffing around.

Anyway, fair play to them, they've come a long way back.   

Fulham 442

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on May 10, 2020, 05:39:51 PM
That's all fine, but, with them back in the area, surely it poses a threat to our fanbase, no?

Not now, but, if they become a bit more successful, then they could nick a few of our fans, or even academy kids.

Rumour has it, Kahn bought that plot of land opposite Motspur, as Wimbledon we're sniffing around.

Anyway, fair play to them, they've come a long way back.   
I don't really think that AFC will pose a threat to our fan base. Chelsea being just down the road never swayed me!

Russianrob

Don't know why but I've always disliked MK Dons.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Russianrob on May 10, 2020, 05:57:15 PM
So have I.  Always liked AFC though!

fulhamben

Quote from: Russianrob on May 10, 2020, 05:57:15 PM
the majority of football fans do. What happened to Wimbledon was disgusting
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HillingdonFFC

Didn't AFC shaft Kingstonians though? Was never a lover of the old Wimbledon . A club moving back after 29 years away ,to an area where we've traditionally drawn fans from will obviously have an effect on future support.
Five football clubs in such a small area is too much

Carborundum

Not everyone can have Billionaire owners.  The funding model for their initiative, involving a bond where hundreds of people are chipping in, is quite remarkable.  There are some really pragmatic and well-intentioned football people behind what's happening there and I wish them all the best.

Oakeshott

"What happened to Wimbledon was disgusting"

Totally agree. Imagine if we'd been sold and set up as MK Cottagers. I would like to think we'd have done exactly what the true AFC supporters have done but unlike them we'd never have been back home - the ground would have been flats within a couple of years.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Oakeshott on May 10, 2020, 08:19:09 PM
"What happened to Wimbledon was disgusting"

Totally agree. Imagine if we'd been sold and set up as MK Cottagers. I would like to think we'd have done exactly what the true AFC supporters have done but unlike them we'd never have been back home - the ground would have been flats within a couple of years.

The Old Plough Lane is Blocks of Flats

Oakeshott

"The Old Plough Lane is Blocks of Flats"

Indeed. But they have got moderately close. I doubt we'd have been allowed to play on Bishops Park, and I am not sure whether there is anywhere else in Fulham. Maybe something towards Acton might have been, indeed still would be, possible but it would be far less a second Cottage than what AFC are achieving is a second PL. 

filham

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on May 10, 2020, 07:28:32 PM
Didn't AFC shaft Kingstonians though? Was never a lover of the old Wimbledon . A club moving back after 29 years away ,to an area where we've traditionally drawn fans from will obviously have an effect on future support.
Five football clubs in such a small area is too much
Fulham, QPR, Brentford, AFC and Chelsea. Yes see what you mean, best that the team at the other end of the Fulham Road pack their bags and close shop.

cottage expat

Delighted to see this. The first football matches I attended were at Plough Lane ( Wimbledon in the Isthmian league). Then.in my teens I went for something bigger and landed At Fulham in 1962.

WONKYTONKY

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on May 10, 2020, 07:28:32 PM
Didn't AFC shaft Kingstonians though?

In short no. Wimbledon set up the Kingsmeadow lease when they took it over so that Kingstonians would stay on rent free. Chelsea ladies, when they took over the lease, didn't want Kingstonians there. Kingstonians still couldn't afford to take on the lease even after all the years rent free or they'd still be there. The reason people think Wimbledon shafted Kingstonians is because they think AFC stole their ground. Truth is Wimbledon did everything they could within reason to help Kingstonians out. They got a lot more years there than the probably would've if another team or something else took over the lease when Wimbledon did.