more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 12/05/20...

Started by WhiteJC, May 12, 2020, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Alone, Tired and Brilliant: Supporting the Whites Abroad

Eamon describes his experience supporting Fulham overseas, and explains some of the more subtle differences between those supporting in London vs those abroad.

One of the less favourable parts of supporting an English club, whilst living in the States, comes after drinking too much on a Friday night. You wake up at 7am the next morning, with a hangover, just to watch Alfie Mawson bang a free kick into the stands in the 92nd minute. What's worse is that you have only yourself to blame, it's cold and now you'll be too tired to go out tonight. Great.

I lived in South West London for seven years, six of these during which my brother, dad and I had a season ticket. However, I left for New York with my family at the age of 12 – entering the world of American sports where football was an afterthought. I found that my interest in Fulham, upon arriving back in the States, was almost nonexistent and didn't return for several years.

The recent focus on the 10th anniversary of Fulham's Europa League run reminds me that I have no real recollection of our greatest ever achievement. I just remember finding out later and the disappointment of not being more aware just a couple years earlier.

As I got older, football became a larger part of my life, and my attraction to Fulham Football Club was reignited by the very thing that had taken it away to begin with: isolation. Other kids watched the NFL, or if they were into football, they always thought it was cool to follow the big clubs. I always thought the other way. Supporting a smaller club was my thing. Whilst everyone else could claim the Man Uniteds, the Arsenals and the Liverpools as football's popularity grew overseas, I would stick with the Whites.

Isolation is like alcohol: it doesn't create new feelings, but magnifies those already present. Those Fulham supporters waking up alone or staying up late to watch early morning or midnight kickoffs have few people with whom to share their football-related emotions. They are forced to store them away, allowing these emotions to build and build.

In this way, there are many fans abroad who support their club in a way supporters at home cannot. For overseas fans, it's them against the world. There are no fellow supporters to lean on. And as we all know, with FFC, having someone to lean on can often be greatly welcome.

Cold Necks
Americans must be so confused as to why English football fans get such cold necks. Never have I seen so many scarves in one place than at a New York Red Bull's game. Or at Legend's, the uber-football themed bar located directly below the Empire State Building. Legend's has a player-signed and framed Fulham shirt, and a replica Stevenage Road sign hangs on the wall. Small club I think not!

The rapid growth of football in the U.S. is really something to behold. Without a doubt, NBC's initial $250 million (~£200 million) investment in the Premier League for the 2013-2014 season for the television rights to all 380 games pushed football fully into the living rooms of Americans. For those still doubting that the U.S. will join the rest of humanity any time soon in its obsession with the game, NBC renewed its deal with the Premier League to carry through until the end of the 2021-2022 season – this time for $1 billion (~£800 million). 

For Fulham supporters in the U.S., this is great news. Regardless of in which division the Whites play, this increases the popularity of the sport and recognition of the club. No longer does it take an odd-ball football enthusiast living in the wrong country to discuss the most recent fortunes of Parker's men; most sports-watchers will now make out, if not know, the name Fulham Football Club.

Home and Away
The greatest divide between fans home and abroad is the apathy regarding Fulham's participation in the Premier League. It is clear why. Those abroad don't get the experience of visiting the Cottage or following the team away. They rarely get to entertain the comradery that comes with being mates with fellow Fulham supporters. All the benefits to supporting a club that remain constant regardless of division do not exist for those overseas. Prior to the addition of the FFC TV live streamed games, Premier League participation was necessary for reminding ourselves even of the existence of the club.

Fulham's overseas contingent benefit far more from the Whites competing in the Premier League than those in London. For starters, competing in the top division is pragmatic. The league's matches are beamed all over the world in high definition with professional commentary (no offense to Jim and Jamie) and is discussed on analysis shows many more times throughout the week.

While the television perks are convenient, the pride and pleasure of supporting a club like Fulham – quaint, charming, historic, ambitious in both success and how that success is achieved on the pitch – in the U.S. especially, where novelty and bombast dominates the sports world, is exquisite. You are part of a small group that carries a bearing far greater than it has any business carrying.  No NFL stadiums have a cottage in the corner; brick facades there are not.             

History and Charm
I watched the Championship Play-Off final with my dad and a friend, a Panathinaikos supporter, and when the camera panned to see a full 40,000 allocation of White's supporters he said: "Whoa, I didn't think Fulham had so many fans."

In a country in which the newness of Football's popularity has created reams (no pun intended) of new football fans supporting the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City, and Chelsea, supporting Fulham is refreshingly delightful.

During my first weeks at University, with my Fulham flag hanging on my dormitory wall, a friend walked in, saw the flag and immediately asked, clearly confused, "Why are you a Fulham fan?!" "I lived there." He didn't respond, the idea of having a connection to a club independent of its trophy cabinet most likely foreign in his mind (He was a self-proclaimed Milan fan – AC and Inter).

I often think about how fun away days would be. I've only made it to the Cottage twice in the past 10 years. I think sometimes of my co-worker who sits directly to my left who at times isn't aware that his Chelsea have a quarter final champions league match in 20 minutes and think it must be nice. And then I think again – how could supporting Chelsea ever be nice?

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-05-11-alone-tired-and-brilliant-supporting-the-whites-abroad/

WhiteJC

Leeds United and West Brom to suffer in face of Premier League armwrestle

Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion have been Sky Bet Championship pacesetters this season and sit 1st and 2nd respectively. They have a decent buffer between themselves and Fulham in 3rd but their promotion hopes could rest on the resolve of the Premier League in their struggle against bottom-half rebels according to the Sky Sports website.

The Whites and the Baggies form was red-hot at the moment that football closed down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For instance, Leeds entered lockdown on the back of five straight wins without conceding a single goal. West Brom has also recovered from a dip in form and put together a run that has seen them open daylight between themselves and the Cottagers who head the chasing playoff pack.

All that industry and endeavour could come to nothing with Sky Sports reporting that "A majority of clubs in the bottom half of the Premier League want relegation to be scrapped if and when the season restarts." The catalyst for this stance comes from the fact that the Premier League is looking at the possibility of the remaining games being played at a pool of neutral venues.

The thinking behind this comes as part of the Premier League's 'Project Restart' plans which are thought ready to be debated today. The stance of all 20 Premier League clubs is that they want the season to play out to a natural conclusion but the plan in its entirety needs 14 votes to pass.

In that sense, the "majority" of bottom-half clubs present a Fletcher Christian-like mutiny to the Premier League's ship. Sky Sports report that half-a-dozen (naming Brighton, West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Norwich) "have reservations about proposals to finish the season by playing at neutral grounds without fans."

This sextet of potential rebels would push the Premier League to the very edge and it would be a game of brinksmanship with 14 votes needed for 'Project Restart' to be ratified.

However, the bigger picture would be that the Premier League kowtowing to the demands of the rebel six would be denying Leeds United and West Brom what could be promotion and a chance to play amongst the stars of football's top league competition.

It's all down to the resolve of the Premier League in this most Mexican of Mexican standoffs. It will be a matter of who blinks first.

https://the72.co.uk/164659/leeds-united-and-west-brom-to-suffer-in-face-of-premier-league-armwrestle/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Cyrus Christie discusses the ups and downs of life with Scott Parker as Fulham boss

When Scott Parker first took over the reins at Fulham, it was a very turbulent time at the club.

Fighting a losing battle to try and stay in the Premier League, falling well short of some expectations from the start of the campaign, it was always going to be a tough task to turnaround a team that was so abject in the top flight into one that would hope to bounce straight back. There's been a lot of positives, but certainly a few negatives along the way.

And speaking exclusively to FLW, Fulham defender Cyrus Christie opened up about what it's been like having a relatively inexperienced manager at the club during a time when the Whites are aiming for promotion back to the Premier League.

"I think the manager's done really well. I think probably a young manager is always going to be tough coming in especially now with the pressures and the demands of the job to succeed straight away especially at a club like Fulham who have to be in the Premier League, you want to go straight back."

One of the hard parts of transitioning from the pitch to the dugout, as Christie points out, is having to change your approach to certain members of the team who used to be your teammates. Parker has played with a number of the current Fulham squad, especially Tom Cairney who took the captain's armband when Parker retired in 2017, but Christie believes that he has managed to handle that transition well.

"Obviously Scotty's not long finished playing, you know, he was there before as a player and then coming back in as a coach and now he's got the managerial job. So I'm sure there's kind of different aspects where you have to separate yourself from being friends previously with players to now being to being their manager, so you know, he's come in and done well."

It's certainly been a bit of a wakeup call for Parker, with Fulham having had a series of freak results so far this season, perhaps best exemplified by the fact they're unbeaten against the top two in the league, yet lost twice to the team currently sitting bottom of it by an aggregate score of 4-0.

It hasn't been easy for Parker taking on such a big task of dealing with a team that were considered at the start of the season one of the favourites for promotion, and with that expectation comes a big target on your back for the other teams in the league according to the Irishman, which has played a big part in some of those results.

"Obviously, like everyone says there's probably games that we believe we should have won and we haven't won enough. We know that the other day has been tough for us as well. We are the big fish in this league and, and people want to turn up against us and beat us. You look at results of the team when they play against us, they win and then they go and play against someone else may be on par with them or below them and they end up being beat by quite a bit, so that's definitely been tougher."

Overall though, with Fulham currently sitting third in the league, it hasn't been a total disaster of a season, despite what some members of the Fulham fanbase might think. It's still a campaign that could end in promotion, even if it's one that's handed to them. According to Christie Part of that comes down to the kind of football that Parker has brought to the table, which he thinks will treat him well in the future.

"Scotty's brought a style of play and he wants football to be played the right way. We're adjusting to him and he's adjusting to us and he's new obviously to the managerial side us I'm sure he's going to have a fantastic managerial career."

This week sees the launch of Football Beyond Walls, an initiative that pairs young people and professional footballers for a game of FIFA and a meaningful conversation about their lives in lockdown.

The first footballer taking part is Fulham's Cyrus Christie – who took on two teenagers at FIFA. You can see the results in this brilliant film.  https://vimeo.com/415466197/45f135a012

Ahead of the launch, he spoke to FLW about his involvement in the initiative and his thoughts on mental health and Fulham's promotion chances.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-cyrus-christie-discusses-the-ups-and-downs-of-life-with-scott-parker-as-fulham-boss/

WhiteJC

Fashion Sale

Fulham fans can take advantage of 50% off selected lines in our Fulham FC Fashion range.

From t-shirts and hoodies to sweaters and tracksuit bottoms, there's great savings to be had across the entire range to ensure you look the part during lockdown.

In addition, supporters can grab a bargain elsewhere with 50% off 2019/20 Adult Home Shirts and 40% off 2019/20 Training Kit.

Happy shopping!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/may/11/fashion-sale

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Cyrus Christie discusses the difficulties of holding down a regular spot at Fulham

There's an old saying in football, that having competition for places can be a good thing.

It gives players that little bit of extra motivation to perform well, knowing that if their performance levels drop off, they've got someone waiting in the wings behind them to take their place. However, it isn't quite as simple as that, as Fulham's Cyrus Christie can justify.

Having first signed for the Whites in January of 2018, there has been no shortage of competition for the Irishman, with the likes of Ryan Fredericks, Denis Odoi, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Steven Sessegnon all fighting for the same position at one time or another during his time in SW6.

And it doesn't help when someone signs for a team that is going through a great run at the time they were brought to the club, and speaking to FLW, Christie says that it was something he was well aware of during his early days at the club.

"Obviously when I joined up [January 2018] I knew as he [Ryan Fredericks] was there, and obviously I was brought to come in and replace him. I knew the situation but I think at the time, they obviously thought that Ryan may have left in that January so I kind of knew what I was coming into.

Obviously, I would have wanted to start a few more games, but when you come into the team that stayed unbeaten until the end of the season you know you've got to come in take a chance and obviously the chances were limited.

When a team's winning, you'd know most managers would like to stick to a winning team and it was tough coming from Middlesbrough where I was playing every weekend, playing some of the best football in my career. I've gone from there to not playing, but I kind of knew what was ahead in the future."

But even when Fredericks eventually left the club at the end of that season having sealed promotion and Christie was given a chance to make his case to be a regular under Slavisa Jokanovic there were problems. A flurry of signings, many of them late in the window, meant that there was still a lot of work that needed to be done, and Fulham didn't have the same settled side like they did during the unbeaten run in the latter half of their Championship campaign.

"Going into the Premier League season [18/19] I thought I played well, and I was feeling good.

And then all of a sudden, Slavisa Jokanovic changed the team and everyone was in and out. And then, you know, my chances were coming against the likes of Man City and the bigger teams where ultimately they're the ones you expect us to get dominated and it's tough when you don't get a consistent run of games.

At the end of the day, you need three or four games to get up to speed running, it's hard to jump in and out for six or seven games because you lose your match sharpness. It's tough to replicate that in training because obviously, match fitness is completely different, you can't replicate that."

So going into his third different campaign under his third boss in Scott Parker, has a lot really changed for Christie? Not particularly, it took until December for him to get a consistent run of games together, and it certainly wasn't easy for the 27-year-old, but there was one thing that he attributed to finally breaking into the team, and that was keeping himself mentally strong in the weeks and months leading up to it.

At the start of this season it was the same you know, with this manager, I just wasn't in the squad for whatever reason and, you know, mentally it was it was tough but, I kept myself in the same place and you know, I always believed that when you work hard and you do your exorcisms and do different stuff it will all pay off. It might not pay off straight away, it will at some point and then the opportunity came for me to come back to the team and I thought I played well, and I showed what I've been capable of."

But that doesn't mean things are going to be any different going forward, because there's still a few names that are rattling around that could cause a few problems at that position.

"That's been tough for me not being able to show my true full potential and capability at Fulham, and obviously the club and the fans and I think the managers know what I can bring to the table it's just about getting in there, like I said is there is there is tough opposition.

In terms of obviously Dennis Odoi playing there obviously, he does see himself as a centre back. And you have Steven Sessegnon on as well who's come in the season and done really well. It's great and it helps the competition for places."

This week sees the launch of Football Beyond Walls, an initiative that pairs young people and professional footballers for a game of FIFA and a meaningful conversation about their lives in lockdown.

The first footballer taking part is Fulham's Cyrus Christie – who took on two teenagers at FIFA. You can see the results in this brilliant film.  https://vimeo.com/415466197/45f135a012

Ahead of the launch, he spoke to FLW about his involvement in the initiative and his thoughts on mental health and Fulham's promotion chances.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-cyrus-christie-discusses-the-difficulties-of-holding-down-a-regular-spot-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Kieran MacDonald is star man at Raith Rovers Awards Evening
Kieran MacDonald was the big winner at the Raith Rovers Awards Evening on Saturday night.

The left back, who has proved to be a smash hit in his first season at Stark's Park, took three of the eight awards up for grabs on the night, which was broadcast live on the Raith TV YouTube channel.

Other winners were Regan Hendry, who came top in two categories, Kieron Bowie, Dylan Tait and Lewis Vaughan.

Hosted by the club's media officer the first award was Young Player of the Year. Chosen by Rovers' boss John McGlynn, the winner was Kieron Bowie whose performances over the course of the season earned him a move to English Championship side Fulham.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/kieran-macdonald-star-man-raith-rovers-awards-evening-2848991

WhiteJC

West Ham United and Fulham have player on agenda – Will face competition from Ligue 1 side

Diego Llorente has been a regular inclusion in Real Sociedad's starting lineup this season.

According to AS, the centre-back is drawing attention from West Ham United, Fulham and AS Monaco.

The 26-year-old is aware he's appreciated a lot in England as West Ham and Fulham, Liverpool and Tottenham have him on their agenda and they have watched him live on several occasions.

The former Real Madrid's man impressive displays for Sociedad also helped him to regularly make it to the Spain squad in the first half of the season, when Roberto Moreno was La Roja's manager.

Moreno is now with Monaco and his compatriot's presence at the Ligue 1 side could weigh in Llorente's decision to join the French club.

Monaco wanted the defender in the winter market, but he decided to continue with the La Liga club. They have still maintained an interest in him, despite having a €50m release clause.

With interest from the likes of Fulham, West Ham, and the bigger clubs, Llorente has a range of options.

Sociedad have made it to the Copa del Rey final and the Coronavirus crisis has postponed the clash against Athletic Club Bilbao. AS states the final 'may weigh on his decision' to change clubs.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-united-and-fulham-have-player-on-agenda-will-face-competition-from-ligue-1-side/

WhiteJC

West Ham facing competition from Fulham in transfer pursuit of 26-y/o

West Ham United and Fulham are interested in signing Real Sociedad defender Diego Llorente, according to reports from Spanish media outlet AS.

The 26-year-old has been a standout player for the Spanish side this season, helping Sociedad climb to fourth spot in the La Liga league standings.

The Spaniard has produced a number of solid performances for Sociedad this season, and has even been called up to the Spanish national side as a result of his impressive displays.

But with the 2019/20 season in limbo and the summer fast approaching, Llorente's future is up in the air, with West Ham, Fulham and AS Monaco reportedly interested in his services.

The centre-half is said to have a whopping release clause of €50m, and former boss Roberto Moreno is now in charge of Monaco, so that could prove to be an important factor.

Fulham currently sit third in the Sky Bet Championship table, conceding 38 goals in 37 league matches this term; Bristol City are the only team in the play-off spots to have conceded more goals than Scott Parker's men.

The Verdict

Llorente certainly looks to be a really interesting player who has attracting interest from some pretty high-profile clubs.

The partnership of Tim Ream and Alfie Mawson has worked well for Fulham this season, but you do feel that they need some depth in their defensive options.

Would Fulham be able to outbid the likes of West Ham and Monaco, though? If they stay in the Championship next season, then it could be quite risky of them to do so.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-ham-facing-competition-from-fulham-in-transfer-pursuit-of-26-y-o/

WhiteJC

"We'll see what happens" – Fulham player quizzed about future

Fulham midfielder Jean Michael Seri, who's currently on loan at Galatasaray, has spoken to Anadolu Agency and expressed his thoughts about staying at the club.

Seri joined the club last summer on a loan deal with an option to buy and despite a shaky start to his career in Turkey, he's managed to establish himself as a key player in Fatih Terim's side during the second half of the season.

His recent upturn in performance has led to talk of him staying at the Super Lig side beyond this season, but the Ivorian said he's not thinking about this at the moment, as covered by Fotomac: "I don't want to talk about my future. I think we should be focusing on how we can get through this crisis and step into the field to play football. After that, we'll see what happens."

The 28 year old said that he wants to win the Turkish Super Lig title with Galatasaray, when the league is expected to return on the 12th of June.

There have been reports Fulham could look to offload him in the summer if they don't get promotion to the Premier League.

Seri is contracted to the Craven Cottage club until June 2022.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/well-see-happens-fulham-player-quizzed-future/

WhiteJC

Laughed When I Heard Liverpool Were Trying To Sell Him – Former Reds DOF On Jordan Henderson

Liverpool's former director of football Damien Comolli has admitted he was amused when he heard Jordan Henderson was up for sale and potentially leaving Anfield for Fulham in August 2012.

Comolli joined Liverpool as director of football strategy in November 2010 and was appointed as director of football in March 2011, after which he was responsible for signing the likes of Henderson, Stewart Downing and Jose Enrique.

Henderson joined Liverpool in the summer of 2011 from Sunderland and the Englishman has enjoyed a successful career at Anfield, with his leadership skills earning him the captain's armband after club legend Steven Gerrard's departure from the club in 2015.

Although Henderson has enjoyed success at the club recently, he was initially considered not to be good enough for the Merseyside club as Liverpool were trying to sell him to Fulham when Brendan Rodgers was in charge in 2012. However, the deal did not materialise and the now 29-year old ended up staying at the club.

Comolli recalls the incident of Henderson's failed move to Craven Cottage, admitting he called his agent and asked him what was going on at Liverpool. The ex-Arsenal scout admittedly was laughing when he heard the Reds were trying to sell him, comparing the situation with Harry Redknapp's intention to sell Gareth Bale to Nottingham Forest.

"I think I called his agent and said, 'What the hell are they doing here?'", Comolli told ESPN FC.

"I was laughing at what I was hearing, that they were trying to sell him.

"I thought this is another Gareth Bale, when Harry Redknapp tried to sell him to Nottingham Forest."

Henderson has enjoyed massive success at Anfield in recent years, captaining the Reds to a Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup.

Read more: http://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/05/11/laughed-when-i-heard-liverpool-were-trying-to-sell-him-former-reds-dof-on-jordan-henderson/458041/#ixzz6MD4PdSwL

WhiteJC

Jean Michael Seri offers blunt response when quizzed on Fulham future

Jean Michael Seri has remained coy on his future at Fulham after spending the season on loan at Galatasaray.

The Ivorian midfielder signed for the Cottagers from Nice last summer for a club-record fee of £25m, in what was seen as a massive coup for the London club.

The likes of Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund were interested in signing the midfielder, but Fulham were the club to win the race for his signature.

But after suffering relegation to the Championship in what was their first year back in the Premier League, Seri has since spent this season on loan in Turkey for Galatasaray.

The 28-year-old has made 29 appearances for Gala, and an exit from Craven Cottage looks likely this summer having already been linked with AS Monaco.

Speaking to Fotomac about what lies in store for the midfielder, though, Seri remained quiet on what could potentially be the next move in his career.

He said: "I don't want to talk about my future. I think we should be focusing on how we can get through this crisis and step into the field to play football. After that, we'll see what happens."

f Fulham were to stay in the Championship for another year, then Seri's sale could give Scott Parker some real funds to work with in the transfer market.

The Verdict

I think Fulham need to take it on the chin and cut ties with Seri this year.

Whether he has the right mentality and attitude to play for Fulham in the Championship or not remains to be seen, but after last season, it's probably best to leave.

He seems like he wants a move away, and if Monaco came calling, you wouldn't really blame him if he left and returned to France.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jean-michael-seri-offers-blunt-response-when-quizzed-on-fulham-future/

WhiteJC

Retired defender reveals failed transfer to Italy and how he learned of Fulham exit from TV ticker

Now retired from football at the age of 35, Philippe Senderos can look back on a rather impressive career; one that saw him rack up 57 caps for Switzerland over an 18 year career.

He also spent a very large portion of said career (seven years, to be exact) at Arsenal, where he played under Arsène Wenger, featuring 117 times for the Gunners and scoring four goals.

Then came a three and a half year spell at Fulham before leaving on a free for Valencia in January 2014, but his time at Craven Cottage could have, and probably should have, ended the previous summer.

Speaking on Instagram to the account 'En Intimité', the former Switzerland international looked back on a failed transfer that would have seen him head to Parma in Italy.

He said, relayed by RTS: "I had done the entire preseason with Fulham, but I hadn't played a game. I had one last conversation with the manager. I told him he was the worst manager I'd ever had! I had contact with Parma, I went there and signed a contract with the director.

"We were already looking for a house over there with my family. When I returned to the airport to join the national team, my agent phoned me and told me there was no deal with Parma. Fulham wanted a player exchange and it didn't get done. I then had to return to Fulham".

The manager at the time will have been Martin Jol, who had been in charge at Craven Cottage since 2011, and would be replaced by René Meulensteen come December 2013.

However, his exit was only delayed by a few months, as he finally got the move away from London he was looking for when Valencia came knocking.

He explained: "I was at the hotel with Fulham. I had the option of going to Valencia. The club were okay with me leaving. My agent told me he couldn't come and he would send me the contracts at the hotel. I was then at reception, printing the pages to sign my contract.

"I asked the receptionist to send it all back! At dinner with the team, Sky Sports was on the TV. The ticker at the bottom of the screen announced I would be signing for Valencia. After dinner, I got up, I shook everyone's hand and I left. I was in Valencia the next day".

Talk about taking matter into your own hands...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/retired-defender-reveals-failed-transfer-italy-learned-fulham-exit-tv-ticker/

WhiteJC

Where Are They Now? The Fulham Squad Who Reached the Europa League Final in 2010

Ten years ago an English club defied the odds and produced a legendary run in a European cup competition. And no, it wasn't Manchester United, Chelsea or Liverpool in the Champions League.

The team we're talking about is the 2009/10 Fulham side. Managed by Roy Hodgson, the west London side (in only their second-ever season in European football) went to knock out the likes of Wolfsburg and Juventus, in order to book a final appearance against Atlético Madrid in Hamburg.

And though they suffered heartbreak in losing 2-1 after extra-time to Los Rojiblancos, it was still a memorable occasion for the Cottagers, with the game remaining a high point for a side who have spent as many years in the Championship than Premier League since.

A decade on, here's what Fulham's Europa League final reaching heroes got up to after their scarcely believable run.

The Starting XI

GK - Mark Schwarzer
Having impressed for the Cottagers during their European run, Arsenal unsuccessfully pursued Mark Schwarzer the following summer.

The Aussie did go on to win back-to-back Premier League titles technically - first at Chelsea, and then Leicester in 2015 and 2016 - however, he was a backup at both clubs.

He retired in 2016 and is third on the Premier League's all-time clean sheet list with 151 - behind only David James and Petr Cech.

RB - Chris Baird
The man Fulham fans dubbed 'Bairdinho', Chris Baird remained at the club until being released in 2013.

After spells at Reading and Burnley, he returned to the Premier League with West Brom, before leaving for Derby a season later.

He would return to Fulham for a brief loan spell, before retiring in 2016, having made over 300 senior appearances at club level and 79 with Northern Ireland.

CB - Aaron Hughes
A solid centre-back for the Cottagers, Aaron Hughes stayed at Craven Cottage until moving to QPR in 2014.

After stints at Brighton, Melbourne Cit, Kerala Blasters and Hearts he called it a day in 2019, aged 39.

Amazing he made 455 Premier League appearances without getting sent off - second only in disciplined longevity top Ryan Giggs.

CB - Brede Hangeland
A crucial part of Fulham's defence during the Hodgson years and improbably European run, Brede Hangeland (the big Norwegian who was actually born in Texas) made over 200 appearances for the club before he was released in 2014.

He would join Crystal Palace afterwards, playing there for two seasons before retiring.

The giant Norwegian is also remembered for revealing that former boss Felix Magath told him to put cheese on his thigh to recover from his injury.

LB - Paul Konchesky
The only player Hodgson took with him from Fulham to Liverpool, following his doomed move to become Anfield boss.

A dutiful servant for the Cottagers, Konchesky looked supremely out of his depth at Liverpool who never took to Roy's ways.

Konchesky left for Nottingham Forest on loan, then Leicester (permanently) after just 18 appearances for the Reds.

After Claudio Ranieri took over at the Foxes, the left-back was loaned out to QPR - thus missing the miracle title win in 2016 - and was last seen turning out for East Thurrock United in 2018/19 in the National League South.

RM - Damien Duff
Damien Duff continued to play regularly for the west London club following the 2010 season, before he was released in 2014.

He then spent a year at Melbourne City in the A-League, playing alongside David Villa, before finishing up his playing career at Shamrock Rovers in his native Ireland.

The 41-year-old is now a coach for both Celtic and the Irish national side.

CM - Dickson Etuhu
The defensive anchor of the side, Dickson Etuhu played two more seasons at Craven Cottage before moving to Blackburn Rovers in 2012. After just playing 23 games, he moved to AIK in Sweden.

More recently, he was handed a five-year-ban for match-fixing in the Scandinavian country. It's fair to say the final was the peak of his career...

CM - Danny Murphy
The captain of the Cottagers at the time, Danny Murphy continued to play a key role for Fulham, before moving to Blackburn in 2012 after failing to agree an extension with the club.

The former Liverpool star now a regular pundit on the BBC's Match of the Day, where his opinions haven't always landed...

LM - Simon Davies
The goalscorer for Hodgson's side in the final, Simon Davies struggled with injuries during the following campaigns for the Cottagers, which led to his release in 2013.

He then went on to play amateur football in Pembrokeshire and now coaches at League One side Peterborough.

CAM - Zoltán Gera
Voted the Fans' Player of the Season after the final, Zoltán Gera (who scored twice against Juventus) fell out of favour under new manager Mark Hughes and later reunited with Hodgson at West Brom in 2011.

He spent three years there before moving back to his native Hungary to play for Ferencváros, where he won the Hungarian League in 2016.

He still scored some absolute screamers, with his goal against Portugal awarded the goal of the tournament at the 2016 Euros.

ST - Bobby Zamora
Having dominated Italian great Fabio Cannavaro earlier on in the competition, Bobby Zamora was unable to score for the west London side in the final.

The cult hero was tipped for the England World Cup squad under Fabio Capello in 2010 but missed the final cut.

He spent one more season at Fulham, before moving to rivals QPR, where he helped them get promoted to the Premier League, scoring the only goal of the Championship playoff final against Derby.

Substitutes
Pascal Zuberbühler (GK) - Didn't play a single game for Fulham, and the Swiss international was last seen in England as Derby County's goalkeeping coach between the years of 2015-2017.

John Paintsil (RB) - Lost his place in the team and briefly played for Leicester, before moving to Hapoel Tel Aviv in 2012. Now acts as a scout for the Ghanaian club Wa All Stars.

Bjørn Helge Riise (CM) - The younger brother of former Liverpool player John, Riise fell out of favour under Hughes. After a loan spell at Sheffield United, he returned to Norway.

Clint Dempsey (ST) - Famously once nearly swapped for the now-Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, Dempsey would go on to finish fourth in the Football Writers' Player of the Year award in 2011. He then moved to Spurs briefly, before returning to play for the Seattle Sounders in the MLS. He has also sidelined as a rapper under the name 'Duece'.

Jonathan Greening (CM) - After making his loan deal permanent in the aftermath of the final, Greening only played ten games for Fulham before moving to Nottingham Forest and retiring in 2014.

Kagisho Dikgacoi (CM) - Playing just 14 games for the west London club, Kagisho Dikagcoi would move to Crystal Palace, where he spent three years. A move to Cardiff City followed, before he finished up his career in South Africa.

Erik Nevland (ST) - In the summer of 2010, Nevland chose to return to Viking in his native Norway, where he played for two years before retiring.

Manager

Roy Hodgson
Everyone's favourite football uncle, Roy Hodgson left Fulham after the final to take over Liverpool following Rafa Benitez's exit. Tasked with getting the club out from a period of stagnation, he lasted just half a season before being sacked for some truly uninspiring football.

However, he rebuilt his own reputation at West Brom, which led to his appointment as England boss and safe pair of hands ahead of the 2012 Euros.

While he guided the Three Lions to the World Cup in 2014 and Euros in 2016, the results were...not good.

Now at Crystal Palace, he's the oldest manager to be employed in the Premier League, and signed an extension recently to keep him at Selhurst Park until 2021.

https://www.90min.com/posts/where-are-they-now-the-fulham-squad-who-reached-the-europa-league-final-in-2010-01e8215grb8n?utm_source=RSS

WhiteJC

On this day in 2010: Fulham's incredible Europa League run ends with final loss
Fulham were playing just their second ever season of European football.

On this day on 12 May, 2010 Fulham's European dream ended when they lost the Europa League final to Atletico Madrid.

Here, the PA news agency looks back on the London club's memorable journey.

Journey to remember
Fulham were playing just their second ever season of European football, having previously qualified for the UEFA Cup in 2002/03 through the Intertoto Cup. Their journey began almost 12 months before the final with two rounds of qualifying before progressing through a group stage that included Roma and Basel. After navigating past Shakhtar Donetsk in the round of 32, their Red Letter Day came against Juventus in the next round as they hammered the super power 4-1 at Craven Cottage to go through 5-4 on aggregate. Wins over Hamburg and Wolfsburg then saw them through to a first ever European final.

Heartbreak in Hamburg
Hamburg's Volksparkstadion was the location for the final and it pitted an emerging side in Fulham against a European heavyweight in Atletico Madrid, even if the Spanish side were not at the level they are currently. Still, they had David De Gea and Sergio Aguero in their starting line-up and former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan put them ahead in the 32nd minute. But the Cottagers were not fazed and Simon Davies levelled five minutes later with a sweet strike. Nothing could separate the sides for the rest of the game, which went to extra-time until, with penalties looming, Forlan broke Fulham hearts by scoring a 116th-minute winner.

Roy Hodgson
This was not the farewell to Fulham that Roy Hodgson would have hoped for, but it was the second time he had left a club after defeat in a European final. In 1997, the Englishman guided Inter Milan to the final of the UEFA Cup, which was back then still played over two legs, and the Italian side lost to Schalke on penalties. Hodgson left the club afterwards. Fast forward 13 years, this defeat was also Hodgson's swansong as his impressive work at Fulham had earned him the chance to manage Liverpool.

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/on-this-day-in-2010-fulham-s-incredible-europa-league-run-ends-with-final-loss