watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hancocks Half Hour

Started by Enfield, May 15, 2020, 10:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

I remember listening to various radio shows during Sunday lunch when i was young..... Navy Lark, Goon Show, ITMA, ISIRTA, and Hancock. It was lovely to laugh with the family over lunch, we all had a good sense of humour. The episode that i remember laughing to most was 'The Test Pilot', where Kenneth Williams ends up on the tail of the plane after take-off.

RaySmith

I have fond memories  of that era too.

The Navy Lark, with Jon Pertwee was very funny, and the Goons obviously, but Hancock summed up a lot about England at that time - someone with ideas above their station, always trying to  advance up the social ladder, but never quite making it, which makes great comedy - because we recognise it, even in ourselves, and like the best comedy, combined with great underling sadness, even tragedy.

Holders

Around the Horne, anyone?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HV71

Around the Horne, anyone?

Yes ! And after that Beyond the Ken - and remember that " the answer lies in the soil"

RaySmith

Funny, I nearly mentioned  Round the Horne- Rambling Sid Rumpo, Juilan and Sandy - amazing what they got away with on a Sunday afternoon with all the family listening!

filham

Take It From Here, Jimmy Edwards, Dick Bentley and the magnificent June Whitfield.

gang

Quote from: RaySmith on May 19, 2020, 10:31:26 AM
Funny, I nearly mentioned  Round the Horne- Rambling Sid Rumpo, Juilan and Sandy - amazing what they got away with on a Sunday afternoon with all the family listening!

😂🤣 hello my names Julian this is my friend Sandy, oooh bona Mr Horn.

hovewhite

Quote from: Enfield on May 15, 2020, 10:22:41 PM
Never really liked the original, but the current one is beyond belief.
Would you buy a second hand car from this man.
Why can he not ever give a straight answer to a question.
( Sorry NFR )
he's certainly no wide boy car salesman and these corona 5pm slots there more like propaganda bullitens.

gang

Is this supposed to be a political or comical post?

Andy S

HV71

You are awful  - but. I like you

Stoneleigh Loyalist

As a teenager I regularly went to the recording of Educating  Archie at the old Paris Studio. Crazy to see a ventriloquist with a dummy on his lap making no attempt not to move his mouth.
Vent - Dummy  - one doing all the talking.  Oops. If I am not careful I could be making political comment!

Holders

Much Binding in the Marsh.

As an aside, linking the two contexts of this post, does Fred Scuttle remind anyone else of Hancock's boss?

Holders

It's a Square World (Michael Bentine).

filham

Quote from: HV71 on May 19, 2020, 01:15:04 PM

You are awful  - but. I like you
Watch Yes Minister and you will realise there is no difference.

john dempsey

Quote from: gang on May 19, 2020, 12:13:38 PM
the lines between politics and comedy
are so blurred now it is impossible to tell.

bobbo

This post has wandered a bit but on the main topic I've been alone among friends with this but tony Hancock never made me laugh, i didn't dislike him just never found him funny.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Stoneleigh Loyalist

His two main films didn't exactly have the fans rolling in.

Dr Know

cottage expat

...and a bit later, Pete and Dud.