watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 19/05/20...

Started by WhiteJC, May 19, 2020, 08:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Points-per-game Leeds United promotion unfair says Harry Redknapp who highlights Fulham and Brentford cause
HARRY REDKNAPP believes even promoting Leeds United and West Brom into a 22-team Premier League would be "unfair" if the remainder of the English football season is scrapped.

The Premier League and EFL campaigns remain suspended amidst the country's ongoing battle against coronavirus with Championship front-runners Leeds having not played since the 2-0 win at home to Huddersfield Town on March 7.

The Premier League and EFL both hope to play all remaining fixtures when safe to do so though League Two clubs have already voted to end their season early.

The decision now needs the ratification of the FA and EFL with the EFL set to decide divisions via an unweighted points per game model if remaining fixtures are cancelled.

The EFL would still expect promotion and relegation if the remainder of the season was scrapped - including relegation from the Premier League.

Under the unweighted points per game model, Leeds would be promoted as Championship winners with West Brom going up in the second automatic promotion place.

But Redknapp feels it would be unfair to relegate sides from the Premier League based on points per game having previously himself masterminded a great escape at Portsmouth in 2006.

Consequently, Redknapp has suggested promoting the Whites and Baggies into a bumper Premier League - but feels even that option is unfair on the chasing Championship pack.

Leeds are one point ahead of second-placed West Brom who are six points clear of third-placed Fulham with nine games left. Fourth-placed Brentford and fifth-placed Nottingham Forest are another four points further behind.

Speaking on The Football Show on Sky Sports on Monday morning, Redknapp said: "I don't know what the answer is, it's so difficult.

"We all want to see Liverpool win the league, I think that is the driving thing for me. Liverpool have been incredible and they deserve to be crowned champions.

"And then you look at the teams coming up.

"The only option if they don't play I think would probably be to promote the two teams and next year maybe have five teams get relegated.

"But even that's unfair really. Leeds this time last year were walking away with the Championship and blew up, so you can't tell.

"They looked home and dry last season but they couldn't finish the job last season.

"I'm sure this year they'll do it, there's a good chance they will - and West Brom.

"But then Fulham and Brentford and the teams in behind them are going to be thinking 'hang on, we can go on a run, we are playing well, we might go and win five or six games on the spin, pick up good points and we might get in that top two.'

"Whichever way you come up with an answer it's going to be a difficult one for certain people to be happy with that's for sure."

Assessing the picture of relegation from the Premier League, Redknapp said: "I can't see really how they can relegate any teams. If we don't start. I can't see how they can do points per game or whatever.

"For me that would be totally unfair because this is the time of the year when with nine or ten games to go, everything changes.

"It's like The Masters going round Amen Corner, suddenly that's when it all starts, those last nine or ten games.

"It's the teams with the most nerve who can hold their nerve so to just do it on possible points I would think it would be impossible and it would be unfair to relegate any teams in the circumstances.

"We had ten games to go at Portsmouth and I promise you, you'd have written us off.

"If they had done points per game, we had 18 points from 28 games, they might have said 'they will get 25 points' when they worked it out, maximum probably 26 points but we ended up getting another 20 points and ended up with 38 points and finishing 17th.

"It can happen, it happens every year to teams.

"This is the time where you need a team that has got the nerve and the bottle to come through this last situation.

"You are looking for strong players, with ten games to go, this is where the tough will get going.

"To just suddenly wipe it away and say 'we are going to go points per game', who can judge points per game? Who can pick football results?

Redknapp added: "We have all got different ideas and everybody who is involved will not be happy with the outcome at some stage, that's for sure.

"The most important thing is the health problem and I understand players and know that everybody is looking at it, nobody wants to take a chance that they will take the virus or get it and take it back to their families.

"There's so many issues, I love a football game but at the moment it still seems a long, long way away to be truthful."

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. These are challenging times but the team at the Yorkshire Evening Post need your support more than ever in the weeks ahead.

While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you. In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you - wherever possible and providing it is safe for you to do so - to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Inevitably falling advertising revenues will start to have an impact on local newspapers and the way we continue to work during this period of uncertainty.

So the support of our readers has never been more important as we try to make sure that we keep you connected with the city you live in during this time.

But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. We need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Our team of trusted reporters are working incredibly hard behind the scenes - from kitchen tables and spare bedrooms - to look at how we can do this and your continued support to the YEP will help to protect its viability in the days and weeks ahead.

For more details on our subscription offers please visit www.localsubsplus.co.uk/YEP, email [email protected] or call us on 0330 4033004

Thank you

Laura Collins

Editor

READ MORE: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/opinion/were-therewithyou-now-your-yep-needs-your-support-too-laura-collins-yep-editor-2521777

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/points-game-leeds-united-promotion-unfair-says-harry-redknapp-who-highlights-fulham-and-brentford-cause-2856619

WhiteJC

'No chance', 'Somewhere like Fulham' – Plenty of Leeds United fans are divided when quizzed on player's future

It's set to be an interesting summer transfer window at Elland Road, with Marcelo Bielsa's side potentially planning for life back in the Premier League.

Leeds are currently sat top of the Championship table, and are seven points clear of third-placed Fulham with just nine matches remaining in this year's campaign.

The Whites boss has been reluctant to make too many changes to his side throughout the season, which has led to some players struggling for game time in the first team this term.

One of those is Jamie Shackleton, with the young midfielder being restricted to just 16 appearances this season, of which the majority have come from the substitutes bench.

It remains to be seen as to what the long-term future holds for the youngster, although it seems likely that his game time could be impacted further if Leeds are in the Premier League next season.

Plenty of the Elland Road faithful took to social media to issue their thoughts on whether Shackleton should be loaned out ahead of next season or not.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/no-chance-somewhere-like-fulham-plenty-of-leeds-united-fans-are-divided-when-quizzed-on-players-future/

WhiteJC

Championship clubs to start coronavirus testing this week
Championship footballers expected to be tested twice a week in line with the Premier League players

Championship clubs will begin testing their players for coronavirus on Thursday and Friday ahead of a potential return to training next Monday.

Although recent advice recommended players are tested once a week, it is thought Championship clubs will follow the Premier League's decision to test their players twice a week.

Test results will be analysed within 24 hours and Sky Sports News understands those test results will not be made public.

All 24 Championship clubs have already informed the EFL which of their players they intend to include as part of the testing programme.

One Championship club has told Sky Sports News any players or members of the backroom staff who have not been tested, will not be allowed inside the training ground next Monday.

The club also explained ground staff will leave the training ground before players arrive for training.

What next for the Championship?
Clubs have been told not to return to training until May 25 at the earliest but there remains no further clarity on when the Championship might return or any potential play-offs will take place.

As it stands the Championship is still intent on completing the season when possible, and their decision will remain linked to what the Premier League decide to do. Leeds and West Brom currently occupy the top two spots and will be keeping a keen eye on proceedings.

EFL chairman Rick Parry said earlier this month he still expects three clubs to be promoted from the Championship to the Premier League.

"We expect three Championship clubs to be promoted - the Premier League are aware of our position on that. The Premier League expects three clubs to be relegated," he said.

PL clubs to return to training on Tuesday
Meanwhile, Premier League clubs have unanimously voted in favour of resuming training in small groups from Tuesday, with a return to top-flight football edging closer.

League officials, medical experts and representatives from all 20 sides held talks on Monday via a video conference call and agreed to stage one of the return to training protocols.

In a statement, the Premier League said: "This first stage has been agreed in consultation with players, managers, Premier League club doctors, independent experts and the government.

"Strict medical protocols of the highest standard will ensure everyone returns to training in the safest environment possible.

"The health and wellbeing of all participants is the Premier League's priority, and the safe return to training is a step-by-step process.

"Full consultation will now continue with players, managers, clubs, the PFA and LMA as protocols for full-contact training are developed."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11990159/championship-clubs-to-start-coronavirus-testing-this-week

WhiteJC

Joy of Moving Home School Festival

Thousands of children and families will benefit from Fulham FC Foundation's Joy of Moving Home School Festival.

Fulham FC Foundation is partnering with EFL Trust and Ferrero to launch the 'Joy of Moving Home School Festival', a full afternoon of home school activities and games to get children and their families moving and having fun.

Following the launch of the new online Joy of Moving Resource Hub, the Home School Festival will involve 72 other EFL Trust network Club Community Organisations and at a time when children are unlikely to experience the fun of their school sports day this year or missing play time with their friends, will offer children and families an afternoon of movement and fun with different games and activities to choose from.

The Joy of Moving programme, a Ferrero CSR project, has been supporting Year 5 children across EFL Communities in the UK for the past 6 years. The Joy of Moving programme has consisted of two elements; the Move & Learn programme and Joy of Moving Festivals. Over 310,000 children have been introduced to moving and learning new skills all while having fun and playing.

Mike Evans, Chief Executive at EFL Trust said;

"We are delighted to bring the Joy of Moving Home School Festival to thousands of households across the UK. So many children will miss out on their Sports Day and our festival should offer fun whilst also keeping children active during these times.

"Our network of Club Community Organisations have been doing some amazing work in response to Coronavirus, and this is another way in which football is supporting the community and reaching families in all regions of the country."

Charlie Cayton, Director of Corporate Affairs and communications, Ferrero UK said;

"We have had a strategic partnership with the EFL Trust for many years delivering our corporate social responsibility (CSR) project the Joy of Moving Move & Learn and Festivals. We have swiftly worked with EFL Trust to adapt the programme to share our simple and fun unbranded games with parents and teachers, that give ideas on how to get kids moving through play. This includes a freely accessible resource hub for everyone. We are really excited to see the Joy of Moving Home School Festival in action."

The games and activities are based on the unique Joy of Moving methodology, developed by Ferrero with key independent parties including Foro Italico (Rome University) and the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI). This methodology inspires children to move through play across the world, whilst developing key skills in four major areas: physical fitness, motor coordination, cognitive functions and creativity and life skills.

The Joy of Moving Home School Festival will begin next week. Keep a look out for what is happening through the hashtag #JOMHomeFestival or to find more fun games to play visit: www.joyofmovingresourcehub.co.uk.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/may/18/joy-of-moving

WhiteJC

Zeshan Rehman: Former Fulham defender targets managerial job in England
Former Fulham defender has been appointed player/head coach of Hong Kong club KC Southern District

Zesh Rehman in action for Southern District

"I want to be the first British Asian to manage in England." That's the bold ambition of former Fulham defender Zesh Rehman, reports Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth.

He's already had a few firsts in his career - notably becoming the first British Asian to play in League Two, League One, the Championship, and the Premier League.

Rehman has completed his UEFA Pro Licence and has embarked on another first - his first managerial role. On Saturday, he was appointed player/head coach of Hong Kong club KC Southern District.

"It's a good opportunity to give back to a club that I've been playing for," Rehman tells Sky Sports News.

"I appreciate the trust shown in me and it's great I can now implement my ideas. I will still play - I'm 37 and there is still life in the legs yet."

Rehman's footballing journey has seen him play in England, Thailand, Malaysia and now Hong Kong, but it's the early days where he will draw most inspiration from when he tackles life as a manager.

"If I go way back to 2003, Steve Coppell signed me on loan at Brighton," he says. "He came across as intelligent and laid back and when I made my debut, I went on the pitch with confidence.

"And playing for Chris Coleman too. He was a real character and a real people's person. Those are the guys I guess I would look to."

Rehman is well aware he was a role model to young British Asians as a player - and accepts he could now encourage them to become a manager.

"Being visible and having a presence in the game can only lead towards potentially inspiring people that they can emulate the journey," he says.

The journey for those from a black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) background has often been a difficult one as far as managing in England is concerned. There are currently six BAME managers in the top four divisions.

"I genuinely believe all the governing bodies are doing all they can," says Rehman. "The mindset I've had is if you're good enough, you will get a chance.

"If you have any pre-conceived ideas about what you might be up against, then you will struggle. You need to be resilient and be prepared for any negativity that may come your way."

Last year, the EFL addressed the issue of the lack of non-white managers by making it policy that clubs must interview at least one BAME candidate when searching for a new first-team manager.

Would an increase in the number of BAME interviewees help the cause? Rehman thinks not.

"Everyone should get an interview on merit," he says. "I'm not sure that is going to be a long-term solution because it could lead to resentment or ill-feeling.

"Getting more participation across all levels of the game from grassroots right to the top is the first step. Then there can be more transitioning to coaching."

Those are the moves Rehman has taken and he hopes he is on the first rung of a ladder that will take him all the way up to the Premier League.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11990699/zeshan-rehman-former-fulham-defender-targets-managerial-job-in-england

ChesterTheTabby

Three to be promoted? Might as well be Fulham with Leeds and West Brom it season is canceled.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"