watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Troy Deeny

Started by Andy S, May 19, 2020, 05:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Watford captain Troy Deeney says he will not return to training because he fears for his family's health amid the coronavirus pandemic. Premier League teams started non-contact training from Tuesday. Do Watford now stop paying his wages or have they actively encouraged their captain to take this stance to try and get the rest of the premier league season halted, Ensuring their safety in the premier league for another season. Watford are at present 1 point outside the relegation positions with games to go

ffcwickford

I am a little disturbed by the headline of 'Troy Deeney BAME Card' as it has racist overtones and has no place on this board or in or around our club.

We have a number of players and staff who would indeed come under this category. I would like to think that you would give them the consideration that they fully deserve if they indeed felt it inappropriate to return to training, along with anyone at the other 23 Championship clubs - it is not as Bill Shankly once said - it could instead be very similar to the scene in 'The Deer Hunter'!

Think on!

Penfold

Quote from: ffcwickford on May 19, 2020, 06:02:28 PM
I am a little disturbed by the headline of 'Troy Deeney BAME Card' as it has racist overtones and has no place on this board or in or around our club.

We have a number of players and staff who would indeed come under this category. I would like to think that you would give them the consideration that they fully deserve if they indeed felt it inappropriate to return to training, along with anyone at the other 23 Championship clubs - it is not as Bill Shankly once said - it could instead be very similar to the scene in 'The Deer Hunter'!

Think on!

Agreed. Headline is totally inappropriate.

bobbo

I don't think t is meant to be racist , however it couldand probably should have been worded a bit more carefully .
I think take the word card away and it's fine.
Onthe actual subject , I don't blame him , figures and facts have proved ethic people are more likely to fall ill to the virus.
Off the subject I like deeney he's true to Watford , he's had the chance to move to a bigger club and declined.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

SP

If I had a five month old child at home with breathing difficulties I'd do exactly the same.

KJS

BAME is an imotive subject at the moment but in regards to Co-vid the issue is for those in that category who work in the care sector Transport and lower paid jobs where they are exposed more it should not be used by footballers etc who would be playing in a sterile and safer environment than the rest of us.

Statto

Quote from: KJS on May 19, 2020, 06:25:02 PM
BAME is an imotive subject at the moment but in regards to Co-vid the issue is for those in that category who work in the care sector Transport and lower paid jobs where they are exposed more it should not be used by footballers etc who would be playing in a sterile and safer environment than the rest of us.

As I understand it, BAME individuals appear to be disproportionately affected even accounting for the fact a BAME person is statistically more likely to live in a densely-populated urban area, more likely to live in poverty and be exposed to the various additional risk factors stemming from that, more likely to work in a high-risk job as you say, etc. However, all these things are so complex, I get the impression a lot more research needs to be done and personally i wouldn't be surprised if it will emerge in due course that the heightened risk for BAME individuals is purely down to those environmental factors, not their genetics. 

Twig

I am not sure that is entirely accurate. As I understand it there is a suggestion from the available stats that BAME people may (and I stress may because clearly more research is needed) be more prone to suffering ill effects from the covis virus.

Twig

Quote from: bobbo on May 19, 2020, 06:23:59 PM
I don't think t is meant to be racist , however it couldand probably should have been worded a bit more carefully .
I think take the word card away and it's fine.
On the actual subject , I don't blame him , figures and facts have proved ethic people are more likely to fall ill to the virus.
Off the subject I like deeney he's true to Watford , he's had the chance to move to a bigger club and declined.

Tend to agree.  Except I'm not sure "proved" is correct.

KJS

Quote from: Twig on May 19, 2020, 07:26:30 PM

I am not sure that is entirely accurate. As I understand it there is a suggestion from the available stats that BAME people may (and I stress may because clearly more research is needed) be more prone to suffering ill effects from the covis virus.

No one knows but I tend to believe it more likely actual life style than generic as I don't recall any ethnic minority players dyiing because of covid but I do know carers and low paid workers of that ethneticity have sadly perished.

Andy S

I fully support any player who refuses to train due to being worried about a member of their family as is happening with Deeny. However it seems to me that clubs could be putting pressure on players especially the Captain in order to ensure they have premiership football next season. This is unfair on other clubs near the bottom

Black, White and Fred

Quote from: Statto on May 19, 2020, 06:41:50 PM

As I understand it, BAME individuals appear to be disproportionately affected even accounting for the fact a BAME person is statistically more likely to live in a densely-populated urban area, more likely to live in poverty and be exposed to the various additional risk factors stemming from that, more likely to work in a high-risk job as you say, etc. However, all these things are so complex, I get the impression a lot more research needs to be done and personally i wouldn't be surprised if it will emerge in due course that the heightened risk for BAME individuals is purely down to those environmental factors, not their genetics. 

Statto, this is probably the most ignorant thing I have ever heard on this site. Are you trying to say all the healthcare workers including the 23 year old Filipino lad working at Watford hospital that have died is due to his environment of North London? Where are you drawing these conclusion?
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Statto

Quote from: Black, White and Fred on May 19, 2020, 07:57:02 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 19, 2020, 06:41:50 PM

Statto, this is probably the most ignorant thing I have ever heard on this site. Are you trying to say all the healthcare workers including the 23 year old Filipino lad working at Watford hospital that have died is due to his environment of North London? Where are you drawing these conclusion?

Well I'm no Sherlock Holmes but on the facts you've described I'd suggest working in a bloody hospital had something to do with those cases!

Are you suggesting it was just because he's Filipino? In which case "where are you drawing this conclusion?"

mrmicawbers

If we decide something has got to be risk free we're doomed.People choosing imo to do what suits them.

mrmicawbers

Ha ha don't know where that sentence came from.

Plodder

I can understand his emotions and fears, and he is entitled to choose not to return to training, but he can't then expect to get paid.  He also needs to consider, given that he feels so strongly about the risk, what can change to enable him to return to football. Coronavirus is not going away any time soon; and even if it did, there are still all sorts of infections in the community which are of equal, if not greater, danger to his young son.  He is unfortunately facing the same dilemma as millions of other parents.  I work for the police, and I sympathise with my colleagues out there on the streets arresting people, or going into people's homes to restrain and arrest. Many of them have vulnerable family members and share Troy Deeney's fears, but they have continued to work.  The harsh reality is that if a lot of people don't go back to work when the risks become reasonably low in their job, it will not take long before a substantial part of our population experiences serious poverty and consequent damage to mental and physical health - even death. Some already have experienced desperation (one man in our area died after living in his car for two weeks), but many are shielded from reality by furlough - which is a good thing, but can only be temporary.

mrmicawbers

As iwas attempting to say earlier.There all always risks involved in life.When teacher's say we can only go back to school when it is risk free in my opinion is stupid,getting political at a time when we don't need it as a nation.Same with footballers,when can we get back?Ok if you withdraw your labour you don't get paid.How do you feel now?Leave it up to them to decide without their wage.I think that is fair enough.They have enough in the pot to retire now.

Andy S

If your employer has done as much as he can to ensure your safety I don't think you can ask for more. If they haven't ask for what you need. Once you get it you return

I Ronic

If it's already been touched on ignore this. An epidemiologist explained it as possibly a vit D deficiency. Vit D is an important part of the immune system and many of us are low in it. A main source is through sunlight. He reasoned that people with darker skins absorbed less through sunlight (here) so their basic immunity may be lower. Hence the higher rates amongst the  BAME communities. Apart from low paid front line workers its affected a high number of Doctors and other professionals from these communities as well.

Found the article...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/role-of-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-bame-medic-deaths

The Rational Fan

Quote from: I Ronic on May 20, 2020, 07:58:25 AM
If it's already been touched on ignore this. An epidemiologist explained it as possibly a vit D deficiency. Vit D is an important part of the immune system and many of us are low in it. A main source is through sunlight. He reasoned that people with darker skins absorbed less through sunlight (here) so their basic immunity may be lower. Hence the higher rates amongst the  BAME communities. Apart from low paid front line workers its affected a high number of Doctors and other professionals from these communities as well.

Found the article...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/role-of-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-bame-medic-deaths

All Football players should be tested to see if there Vitamin D levels are sufficient before being allowed to play football given the risks with covid-19. If Troy Deeny is vitamin D deficient, then he should be taking tablets plus sunbaking indoor/outdoors and not join the squad until his levels are sufficient (of course what level sufficient can be debated but a level should be set).

Anyone Vitamin D deficient is at risk, but I imagine Watford knows his Vitamin D levels and probably fixed any issues already, but maybe they should also test those he is living with too. Vitamin D is a major problem in London for even people of southern English blood in winter, but Scottish people fair better as they require less sunlight to create sufficient levels of Vitamin D.

It is no accident that the country with the highest vitamin D levels in the world hasn't been hit with COVID-19. Australia is very sunny, the people are mostly quite white and often dying of skin cancer but rarely have vitamin D deficiency. Interestingly, 76% of women in Lombardy Italy have low vitamin D levels, while Germanys and Austrian who often sunbake naked have better Vitamin D levels. Another example is California that has higher vitamin D seems to do better at fighting the virus than New Yorkers.