watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Troy Deeny

Started by Andy S, May 19, 2020, 05:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

I am badly missing watching Fulham and would love to see the final nine matches played and us being promoted .

However there seem to be too many problems in the way of a restart, if the players are not in favour of it then the effort and risk may not be worthwhile.

I am changing my thinking and beginning to side with those that are saying there are more important things than football. In particular I see that farmers are in trouble with harvesting crops because the labour usually used from overseas cannot get into the country, that is serious, we could all suffer from a shortage of fresh food over the winter.

So , right now I am thinking that all football should be abandoned for at least three months and that all highly paid Premier League and Championship players should immediately  be conscripted as farm workers with all pay from their clubs stopped but replace by the same amount the immigrant worker would have been paid. Alternatively I wouldn't begrudge them the wage I was paid in 1957 as a National Service conscript in the RAF

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Andy S on May 19, 2020, 11:43:21 PM
If your employer has done as much as he can to ensure your safety I don't think you can ask for more. If they haven't ask for what you need. Once you get it you return

I work for a health insurance company here in South Florida.
The company specializes only in retirement health insurance, (a large percentage paid for by the government)
Without doubt, Palm Beach County is one of the largest senior living community areas in the US and as such
has an extremely high risk population over 65.
I am the Activity assistant coordinator of a recreation, activity, events, health, social, wellness center.
Prior to the virus, we have had up to 250 a day, although the average was 100-120. with (considering the space)
large exercise classes 5 days a week.
We have been closed for 2 months and a lot of our programs are now done virtually, although all of our members
miss coming to the center because of the 'sociability' many of them being 'on their own'
Our management are preparing for us to re-open, the restrictions are obvious as are the risks if not done properly.
I have every confidence that everything possible will be done to ensure the safety of us, the staff and the members,
and will have no concerns about going back to work in that environment.
The hardest 'task' will be to ensure the social distancing from the moment the queue starts outside, before we open. until
the last people leave.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Tonywa

Quote from: SP on May 19, 2020, 06:24:20 PM
If I had a five month old child at home with breathing difficulties I'd do exactly the same.

Spot on IMHO.

HobGoblin

No ones business if he chooses to put family first. Anyone else would do too. He is entitled to do so. I have staff that are home since their family member is at risk and they are paid 100% still.

Statto

Quote from: HobGoblin on May 20, 2020, 07:08:06 PM
No ones business if he chooses to put family first. Anyone else would do too. He is entitled to do so. I have staff that are home since their family member is at risk and they are paid 100% still.

No one has said otherwise, have they? As far as I can tell people are just (a) saying he shouldn't get paid and (b) asking whether he'll take a consistent approach to other high risk activities, like going to the supermarket or avoiding the regular flu next winter?

HobGoblin

Quote from: Statto on May 20, 2020, 07:16:03 PM

No one has said otherwise, have they? As far as I can tell people are just (a) saying he shouldn't get paid and (b) asking whether he'll take a consistent approach to other high risk activities, like going to the supermarket or avoiding the regular flu next winter?

None of your business though or others what life choices he makes, whether he is paid or not. Why raise a point that he shouldn't be paid for not playing, the business he works for have said it's fine, therefore it harms no one else.

I'm sure he takes in to consideration many health aspects of picking up illnesses that could affect his sick child. The risk to his ethnicity seems from reports to be higher, therefore as a father he has taken a decision. I would no doubt weigh that up if i was in his shoes, even you would i imagine do so too.

Statto

Quote from: HobGoblin on May 20, 2020, 08:21:50 PM

None of your business though or others what life choices he makes, whether he is paid or not. Why raise a point that he shouldn't be paid for not playing, the business he works for have said it's fine, therefore it harms no one else.

I'm sure he takes in to consideration many health aspects of picking up illnesses that could affect his sick child. The risk to his ethnicity seems from reports to be higher, therefore as a father he has taken a decision. I would no doubt weigh that up if i was in his shoes, even you would i imagine do so too.

Query how relevant the "none of your business" argument is when the player made the comments in question on a YouTube show with Tony Bellew and Eddie Hearn

Andy S

Ok then the club is forced to play the rest of their games without him and get relegated is his position untenable

HobGoblin

Quote from: Statto on May 20, 2020, 09:41:10 PM

Query how relevant the "none of your business" argument is when the player made the comments in question on a YouTube show with Tony Bellew and Eddie Hearn

Because it's his life, his family, his career, no one else. Quite simple really. Do you allow others to tell you what to do with your choices in career and stand there going yes, yes miss?

You'll make an argument out of it no doubt, we differ on opinion over it. You expect (it seems) a explanation from Troy Deeney on why he has made that decision. I doubt you'll get one. Myself I favour the stance that he can choose what he wants, his employer has backed him and therefore it means nothing to anyone other than Troy Deeney, his family and his employer.

Each to their own, no more on it from me

Statto

Quote from: HobGoblin on May 20, 2020, 10:50:37 PM

Because it's his life, his family, his career, no one else. Quite simple really. Do you allow others to tell you what to do with your choices in career and stand there going yes, yes miss?

You'll make an argument out of it no doubt, we differ on opinion over it. You expect (it seems) a explanation from Troy Deeney on why he has made that decision. I doubt you'll get one. Myself I favour the stance that he can choose what he wants, his employer has backed him and therefore it means nothing to anyone other than Troy Deeney, his family and his employer.

I'm not giving him orders. I'm giving an opinion. Would I allow others to give an opinion on comments I'd broadcasted on popular Internet TV channel? Yes. Of course.

And FWIW he explained his comments quite clearly, so I'm not expecting an explanation... I already have one.

I get the impression you've only read half the story here, and only half the posts you're replying to

HobGoblin

Quote from: Statto on May 20, 2020, 11:09:35 PM
Quote from: HobGoblin on May 20, 2020, 10:50:37 PM

I'm not giving him orders. I'm giving an opinion. Would I allow others to give an opinion on comments I'd broadcasted on popular Internet TV channel? Yes. Of course.

And FWIW he explained his comments quite clearly, so I'm not expecting an explanation... I already have one.

I get the impression you've only read half the story here, and only half the posts you're replying to

You can get the impression whatever you feel like, seems that you aren't interested in other opinions without trying to put barbs in your statements. My opinion on it differs from yours and we won't agree on the matter at hand. Good night to you

Logicalman

HobGoblin & Statto .. and that is enough from the pair of you. Don't hijack threads with bickering please, take it to PMs.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

The Rational Fan

Dr Fauci (USA top advisor) has pointed out that if one player test negative then plays football with covid-19, then potential all players of the field will could catch it, which would mean playing the second XI for the rest of the season.

We are potential creating a worse situation than just ending the season now, with EPL relegation possibly just an indication of which teams caught covid-19 and promotion an indication of the best teams that didn't.

If that happens in the Fulham vs Leeds game, with one player giving to both teams, then both their seasons would be ruined then WBA, Brentford and Forest would go up. If the same happens in the Premier League for a Southampton vs Brighton game then those two teams would like get no more points to go down.

I personally believe Leeds and WBA deserve promotion this season then playoffs among the rest seems fair. As for the EPL, Norwich and Aston Villa should go down plus one of the others.

If we continue playing, then we could the insane situation that a team like Everton goes down with numerous loss of players then get zero points and QPR goes up vía playoffs with no lose of players. I also think it would be unfair if Leicester lost its place in Europe.

The Rational Fan

Reports are that three people at Watford FC have the virus, should we restart the season as surely this is not the end of their outbreak and if it restarts they will get relegated if a few more get sick. Restarting the season could be letting the virus choose promotion and relegation, which is worse method than points per game so far.

Statto

Quote from: Logicalman on May 21, 2020, 02:44:45 AM

HobGoblin & Statto .. and that is enough from the pair of you. Don't hijack threads with bickering please, take it to PMs.

Some guidance on what constitutes 'bickering' would help.

I was, naively perhaps, under the impression that a civil back-and-forth between two posters (in other words, a 'discussion') was permitted.

Is the rule that after, say 2 replies to the same poster, that transitions from a discussion to 'bickering' and is not allowed?

I'm already struggling to avoid 'hijacking' threads by discussing anything different to the OP, another unwritten rule that seems to have emerged lately. So any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 21, 2020, 05:41:14 AM
Reports are that three people at Watford FC have the virus, should we restart the season as surely this is not the end of their outbreak and if it restarts they will get relegated if a few more get sick. Restarting the season could be letting the virus choose promotion and relegation, which is worse method than points per game so far.

These players are symptomless so will have a short period of isolation and be back in group training well before the season starts. Calm down.

Andy S

This is why I originally suggested that Watford were encouraging Troy Deeny as captain to highlight that he won't be training because of the threat. Nobody says that any player has picked this up in training. Also have his comments been taken out of context? Interestingly nobody in the London area tested positive for COVID 19 yesterday. Watch this space

Twig

Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2020, 09:03:04 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 21, 2020, 05:41:14 AM

These players are symptomless so will have a short period of isolation and be back in group training well before the season starts. Calm down.

Interesting that were Watford in the Champ those same players would have to self isolate for twice as long.