News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A Quick History of where you were born and where you are now.

Started by mrmicawbers, May 19, 2020, 09:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Know

Quote from: Logicalman on May 21, 2020, 02:53:29 PM
Born in Queen Charlotte's Hospital in '58 and lived in Lillie Road Peabody flats until 1961, then moved to Fulham Palace Road Peabody Estate. Went to Melcombe Primary School, then St Clement Danes. Moved to Hanwell in 1975, Bournemouth in 1979 and got married. Kicked around Dorset until 1998 when, following a divorce, I emigrated to the US, where I lived in Oklahoma, Indiana, Mississippi and back to Indianapolis where I live now. First match was 1964, been flying the FFC Flag ever since and get back over every season or 2 to catch some games, and I'm lucky to be married to a lovely (US) lady who bleeds FFC as well.
049:gif
Do you know a guy called Alfie Gregg , he's lived in the Peabody Estate for years , early 70s I think , and still lives there . I was born in Hammersmith Hospital 1956 and grew up in the Guinness Trust Bldgs opposite the Peabody .

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Dr Know on May 21, 2020, 03:20:21 PM
Born in Queen Charlotte's Hospital in '58 and lived in Lillie Road Peabody flats until 1961, then moved to Fulham Palace Road Peabody Estate. Went to Melcombe Primary School, then St Clement Danes. Moved to Hanwell in 1975, Bournemouth in 1979 and got married. Kicked around Dorset until 1998 when, following a divorce, I emigrated to the US, where I lived in Oklahoma, Indiana, Mississippi and back to Indianapolis where I live now. First match was 1964, been flying the FFC Flag ever since and get back over every season or 2 to catch some games, and I'm lucky to be married to a lovely (US) lady who bleeds FFC as well.
Do you know a guy called Alfie Gregg , he's lived in the Peabody Estate for years , early 70s I think , and still lives there . I was born in Hammersmith Hospital 1956 and grew up in the Guinness Trust Bldgs opposite the Peabody .
my Uncle Ronnie a bus driver lived in the Guinness Trust. Building.Used to have a friend who lived in the Peabody Bobby Arnie not sure on the spelling of the surname had a twin sister as I recall.Think he supported Chelsea.

Dr Know

Quote from: mrmicawbers on May 21, 2020, 03:34:58 PM
my Uncle Ronnie a bus driver lived in the Guinness Trust. Building.Used to have a friend who lived in the Peabody Bobby Arnie not sure on the spelling of the surname had a twin sister as I recall.Think he supported Chelsea.
I lived there from birth , 1956 , until 1978 when I got married .

Dr Know

bog

Quote from: HV71 on May 21, 2020, 01:46:23 PM
Wow Bog -that must have been something! It is still ridiculously quaint . The green with the Tillingborne running through it - the children ankle deep, fishing for tiddlers with nets bought from Annie's tea room . In the background a game of village cricket - . Idyllic.

It was. I always stood mesmerised...like when Johnny Haynes walked past me to a game once.

Loved that area, Send Village and Leith Hill were other favorites.

Southdowns White

I think you mean Alfie Gregory, named after my grandad, he's my mums cousin, also has brothers Frankie and Robert.

Dr Know

Quote from: Southdowns White on May 21, 2020, 03:59:37 PM
I think you mean Alfie Gregory, named after my grandad, he's my mums cousin, also has brothers Frankie and Robert.
I only see him a couple of times a year when I come up for a game . Must be same fellow , gotta be 6ft 3inch at least , big fella . Used to play darts with him in the Distillers pub back in the day , mid 1970s . I know he's married .

colcliff

Born at Parsons Green maternity hospital
Lived in marinefield road Fulham
Attended Langford road primary school
Then st Clement Danes grammar school
Moved to Bexleyheath  1979 when I got married
Now waiting to retire and hoping to move to the Kent coast

bigalffc

Quote from: Russianrob on May 20, 2020, 10:02:30 AM
I think Fulham used the Lillie rec as their ground once.The Rec was also used for 5 a side football for kids on a Sunday morning.Does anyone know if it is still used for this purpose and did anyone play on the Rec from this forum?
[/quote
I played there about 64/65 Also played for Hammersmith Boroughs under 14's 11 a side team on the Rec
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Logicalman

Alfie doesn't ring a bell with me, sorry. I remember a Paul Bradbury (or very similar last name), lived on the Square, their flat was top right corner as you looked North from the gardens, also John Sayer, who lived in the cottages, though he was/is a gooner, and joined the Met.

You've got to know a Pete Smith then? Was in the same class as me at school, so born 58-59. He lived in the Guinness Trust over the road from me, had a little brother. I believe he moved to Basingstoke or similar later on in life. Committed FFC fan as well.

Did you ever come over to play footie in the cage at Peabody? Over the wall was the New Buildings that opened out onto Queen Caroline Street.

I had three sisters as well, two of them born 54 & 56.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: colcliff on May 21, 2020, 04:26:05 PM

When were you at Danes? Was Babcock (aka Syph) your headmaster?
My brother-in-law was also there from @64-70

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Dr Know

I remember Pete Smith , can't recall his brothers name . Yes , used to go over to the cage to play football regularly. Talking of schools I also went to the Danes , 68-73 , and my primary school was St Paul's , off Queen Caroline Street , worlidge street , small world !

Southdowns White

Quote from: Dr Know on May 21, 2020, 04:18:35 PM
Quote from: Southdowns White on May 21, 2020, 03:59:37 PM
I only see him a couple of times a year when I come up for a game . Must be same fellow , gotta be 6ft 3inch at least , big fella . Used to play darts with him in the Distillers pub back in the day , mid 1970s . I know he's married .
His family sit two rows in front of me in H7 seats BB

colcliff

Quote from: Logicalman on May 21, 2020, 05:01:59 PM

yes was there 66 to 70
Never did really well and left at 15 to go to work
Yes Babcock was headmaster always called Badcock  hence The nickname syph

Dr Know

Quote from: colcliff on May 21, 2020, 05:23:23 PM

yes was there 66 to 70
Same here , left when I had just turned 16 , hated the school . Also remember Mr Nichols , the deputy head , and the gym teacher was nicknamed flogger !

mrmicawbers

colcliff

Quote from: Dr Know on May 21, 2020, 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: colcliff on May 21, 2020, 05:23:23 PM

yes was there 66 to 70
Same here , left when I had just turned 16 , hated the school . Also remember Mr Nichols , the deputy head , and the gym teacher was nicknamed flogger !
the gym teachers I remember were Spurgeon, Collins, and it was either Nichols or Nicholson I think
Was always wary of dep head Nichols but when I was leaving turned out to be a good bloke

Brian McGroom

Was born in Hammersmith Hospital in 1962, Lived in Hartopp Avenue off Dawes Road for 2 years until the area was demolished, moved to Wandsworth Bridge Road area then to Crawley in 1977, Horsham in 2007, Banbury in 2012, and following redundancy and a bit of ill health back to Crawley this year to be closer to The Grandchildren

john dempsey

How many teachers from our era
would be allowed anywhere near a child in this day and age?
some of the them were bordering on deranged.

f321ffc

Born Wimbledon 1954 lived in Battersea first in Grant Road one of the last roads to be demolished for the building of the Winstanley estate then on to Lavender  hill until marriage in 1977. Rented for a year just off Clapham Common then bought first house in Beckenham then on to West Wickham moved to Newton Abbot Devon in 1985,  moved on to Shaldon and retirement 6 years ago.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional