watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would this be fair

Started by 7787fulham, May 20, 2020, 07:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7787fulham

So it seems more teams are wanting the season to end now in both the PL and the championship. There also seems to be this massive argument on if to promote or relegate if its voided. Would it be fair to say 1,2 &3 in the championship play a 1 off game against 18,19 & 20 in the PL winner plays in the PL next year so 1 vs 20, 2 vs 19 and 3 vs 18 based on current position with the winner of each game earning a PL spot and the losers being in the championship next year.

sunburywhite

Why dont we just carry on with another season and all the teams start where they finished off currently
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

7787fulham

opic Summary

Posted by: sunburywhite« on: Today at 07:26:49 PM »

Insert Quote

Why dont we just carry on with another season and all the teams start where they finished off currently

I think the problem with that is the teams in the PL will still get the riches for next season whilst the teams in the championship still have the harsher financial fair play rules as there isn't that sort of cash coming in

Statto

For a one-off game, particularly one of such importance, teams are still going to need/want several weeks of preparation, including plenty of training sessions with all the players and coaching staff together. Then you're going to have to get all the usual support staff into a stadium for the match itself. Overall, is it much harder or riskier to just play out the full season? I don't think so. 

filham

OP is suggesting three big knock out matches  each one as tense as the usual Wembley play off final. TV will love the idea butt the  premier league teams are never going to  agree to the risk and the proposal would only drive them deeper into the safety zone abandoning the season offers.

Andy S

How can it be right to change the rules and the spoils with 9 games to go ?

Wolf

If the Championship doesn't complete its fixtures there's a fairly easy (Leeds friendly) option of deciding three promotion places that would require just five matches. Not sure where it fits in a framework of sporting integrity though
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

RaySmith

Why not just play  out the season then?

That seems the most acceptable and fairest option, which would also give  all the clubs  at least some income, from TV.

ChesterTheTabby

Relegate bottom three and promote top 3 based on PPG.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

The Rational Fan

Quote from: OhConnah on May 21, 2020, 01:29:07 AM

If we restart the season and a few teams get affected by covid-19, then would we comfortable with WBA, Brentford, and QPR getting promoted. As such a situation could happen if say in the Fulham vs Leeds game a player plays with a false negative test resulting in most players from both teams missing the rest of the season, so both miss out on automatic promotion getting around 70 points. While QPR beat Barnsley, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Wigan and Luton get free points against Fulham as half the team recovers, then finishes the season against a bunch of teams whose season is over (either mid-table or already promoted like WBA) that play football with some social distancing, getting more than 70 points then winning the playoffs.

While promotion could end up a joke, what is worse is relegation from the premier league may likely be a product of which teams get sick. Assuming Everton get a full team outbreak and West Ham lose a couple of players, then next years Championship could be Everton, West Ham, Norwich, Leeds, Fulham, Forest, Huddersfield and Stoke making automatic promotion very hard at the same time Fulham's parachute payments disappear at the seasons conclusion.

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on May 21, 2020, 01:26:47 AM
Why not just play  out the season then?

That seems the most acceptable and fairest option, which would also give  all the clubs  at least some income, from TV.
It seems 250 people have to gather to stage one behind closed doors match which presents a risk of spreading the virus.

filham

I bet the bottom three are already talking to their lawyers with a view to squashing that proposal.

ScalleysDad

Getting back to some sort of normal is going to take quite a while yet and football should be an irrelevance. Elements of 'lockdown' may yet have to be reconsidered judging by the carnage left behind on beaches and open spaces after the rules were relaxed a bit and a rise in covid 19 cases in Devon has been linked to the tourism invasion in spite of guidance and pleas to stay away. Police were making camper vans move on from numerous hot spots from dawn this morning emphasising that for the most part some of us are pretty thick. Multiply that level of ignorance a thousand fold for a game of football, fans will turn up in the vicinity of the stadiums, and the knock on effects could be massive as well as the direct seige on health, welfare and safety resources.
Despite the resources, including pots of money, being thrown around to get training back up and running with a small army of medics, coaches and key staff cases are still cropping up and one case in one squad has an enormous knock on effect. As has been pointed earlier would a Saturday fixture list with two or three cancellations because somebody coughed be worth it.

jarv

I agree with sunbury white. carry on where left off.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on May 21, 2020, 09:21:18 AM
I bet the bottom three are already talking to their lawyers with a view to squashing that proposal.

As they are planning to ban tackling from the game: Does this mean teams like Leeds, Forest and Barnsley that statistical tackle a lot struggle to get points while teams like WBA, Fulham and Luton that don't tackle as much do better? Is changing the game to continue the season really fair, when rules changes advantage some teams more than others? Given the new rules, Arter and Onamah probably should be benched, with less frequent taclkers like KMac, Reed, Cairney, and Reid played instead.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 22, 2020, 05:04:24 AM
As they are planning to ban tackling from the game...

This is why the lockdown is now worse for society than the virus - the isolation is driving some people to madness, leading to comments like this.

Beamer

I really can't see how you can ban tackling or contact/close proximity. At corners would you have to all be 2 metres apart and would a training game type scenario be a better way of deciding a season as it is hardly a fair reflection of the rest on what has gone before.
Why are we so desperate to get soccer back that we are prepared to break all the rules that the rest of the UK is adhering to...money obviously and I understand that but what about all the other businesses that are suffering from the situation will they be allowed to work out a way around the rules, I very much doubt it.
Don't get me wrong I love my football and want it back asap but let's get it's importance in perspective in the current climate.

SuffolkWhite

I am in the camp for finishing the season come what may, but a resolution is going to upset teams whatever it will be. The bottom line is this is all about money and the teams threatened with relegation hanging on to the dosh!

I suggest put all the TV money together from all four leagues and spread it out equally! That way small clubs survive and you take the real issue away from the greedy at the top of the football pyramid and then Cancel the season if you must.

My two penny's anyway.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Beamer on May 22, 2020, 08:22:54 AM
I really can't see how you can ban tackling or contact/close proximity. At corners would you have to all be 2 metres apart and would a training game type scenario be a better way of deciding a season as it is hardly a fair reflection of the rest on what has gone before.
Why are we so desperate to get soccer back that we are prepared to break all the rules that the rest of the UK is adhering to...money obviously and I understand that but what about all the other businesses that are suffering from the situation will they be allowed to work out a way around the rules, I very much doubt it.
Don't get me wrong I love my football and want it back asap but let's get it's importance in perspective in the current climate.

The voice of reason.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on May 22, 2020, 08:18:19 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 22, 2020, 05:04:24 AM
As they are planning to ban tackling from the game...

This is why the lockdown is now worse for society than the virus - the isolation is driving some people to madness, leading to comments like this.

064.gif

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.