Started by MrFFC, May 25, 2020, 07:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: fulhamben on May 27, 2020, 08:33:26 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 27, 2020, 05:23:56 AM
Quote from: @jolslover on May 26, 2020, 06:36:24 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on May 26, 2020, 01:31:20 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 26, 2020, 02:17:57 AM
Since the 28th December 2018 the day before Fulham 1–0 Huddersfield Town, Mawson has kept ten clean sheets and Kongolo has only kept one clean sheet. Mawson was a quality defender that hasn't been the player we needed since his shoelace injury, but Kongolo is no different and has also been a shadow of his former self also.
i have only seen mawson have one good game since hes been here, i made a big thing of it as i thought he had turned the corner, i was wrong. and as to kongolo every town fan ive seen comment on him said he was an exceptional center back, but was then moved to left back where he sucked

Agree

Kongolo is a world-class defender, that is at his best not quite good enough to make his country regularly, that has been rubbish in his last 12 months at his club struggling to keep clean sheets, his poor form is partly because of injuries, partly because of lack of motivation and partly because he hasn't played in his best position at LCB. Apart from one world-class tackle, please explain how Mawson doesn't also fit that description playing at RCB.
because mawson doesn't look good in his favoured position. Are you saying we shouldn't have bought hector to replace mawson? I don't get where you are going with this. Ream is getting old and mistakes are creeping into his game, plus his lack of pace is a real worry. And kongolo looks like he could be an upgrade if he can stay fit

Ream has been great for us but, I agree he isn't getting any younger. We certainly need to be planning a replacement during next season. Is Kongolo the man for the job? We haven't seen enough, but what little we have seen has been promising.
We needed a solid right sided centre back and sadly it hasn't really worked out for Mawson. Hector on the other hand has been superb.
For me we should see Hector and Kongolo as our potential CB pairing with Odoi and Ream as cover. Sell Mawson or invest in getting him into 100% fitness and perhaps he would be number one cover?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Twig on May 27, 2020, 09:10:57 AM
Ream has been great for us but, I agree he isn't getting any younger. We certainly need to be planning a replacement during next season.
We needed a solid right sided centre back and sadly it hasn't really worked out for Mawson. Hector on the other hand has been superb.

Is Kongolo the man for the job? We haven't seen enough, but what little we have seen has been promising.
For me we should see Hector and Kongolo as our potential CB pairing with Odoi and Ream as cover.

Sell Mawson or invest in getting him into 100% fitness and perhaps he would be number one cover?

If we don't go up, I suspect we will sell the three players on loan (Fabri, Anguissa, Seri), our most valuable asset (Mitovoic), and whoever is keen to move on (Christie seemed keen in the winter), then most likely we renew Archer and Odoi contract options too.

That will leave us with
GK: Rodak, Betts, and Archer
FB: S.Sess, Bryan and Odoi
CB: Hector, Mawson, Ream and MLM
CM: KMac, Stefjo and Onamah
AM: Cairney and Reid 
FW: Kamara, Stansfield and Cav

If we stay down, I'd like us to buy Harrison Reed, Jed Wallace, a Top Striker, and loan player at right-back, then if money was left I'd improve central midfield (upgrading one of KMac, Stefjo or Onamah). As for the idea of selling Mawson, I doubt we will get much if we sell him and our defense (with Hector, Mawson, Ream, and MLM) has only conceded 1.02 goals per game, but goalscoring by players other than Mitrovic is only 0.78 goals per game.

Twig

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 27, 2020, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: Twig on May 27, 2020, 09:10:57 AM
Ream has been great for us but, I agree he isn't getting any younger. We certainly need to be planning a replacement during next season.

Is Kongolo the man for the job? We haven't seen enough, but what little we have seen has been promising.
For me we should see Hector and Kongolo as our potential CB pairing with Odoi and Ream as cover.

Sell Mawson or invest in getting him into 100% fitness and perhaps he would be number one cover?

If we don't go up, I suspect we will sell the three players on loan (Fabri, Anguissa, Seri), our most valuable asset (Mitovoic), and whoever is keen to move on (Christie seemed keen in the winter), then most likely we renew Archer and Odoi contract options too.

That will leave us with
GK: Rodak, Betts, and Archer
FB: S.Sess, Bryan and Odoi
CB: Hector, Mawson, Ream and MLM
CM: KMac, Stefjo and Onamah
AM: Cairney and Reid 
FW: Kamara, Stansfield and Cav

If we stay down, I'd like us to buy Harrison Reed, Jed Wallace, a Top Striker, and loan player at right-back, then if money was left I'd improve central midfield (upgrading one of KMac, Stefjo or Onamah). As for the idea of selling Mawson, I doubt we will get much if we sell him and our defense (with Hector, Mawson, Ream, and MLM) has only conceded 1.02 goals per game, but goalscoring by players other than Mitrovic is only 0.78 goals per game.

Personally I would bet against us selling Mitro whatever the circumstances but I would still Like to see other players capable of chipping in with more goals.