watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next season Fulham Premier League

Started by FulhamStu, May 22, 2020, 08:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

So, if we were promoted, Parker would most definitely be kept in charge.
We would recruit differently and I suspect in a less spectacular way.  Artery to be made permanent for example.  New right back, maybe sign Kongolo, that sort of thing.

What then, how would we fair ?

For me, it would be incredibly difficult, would Parker change his Parker ball tactics ?   We know Slav came unstuck trying to out pass Man City at the Etihad etc !  Sheffield U have done remarkably well, but they play more of an old fashion style I think, they are also likely to suffer next season as this often happens when teams like them do well the first season promoted.

Personally I can't see anything other than a massive struggle, I would personally create a 5 year plan that takes into account a very good chance we would be relegated again.  Unless we can unearth a Saha, Steed and current players seriously improve I can not see how we succeed.

JoelH5

I wouldn't worry. Looks like we have to go through the lottery of the playoffs
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Sting of the North

I don't understand your premise really. Why wouldn't we recruit more? It's not as if we don't have the means. I believe we have a good 12-15 players that can form a foundation of a PL squad, and would need to add 3-4 players of good PL standard + a few more squad players. The rest is up to getting the team to play like a team. We saw glimpses of that being a possibility at times before the lockdown but in my opinion the jury is still out on Parker in that regard. The style of play is not an issue at all in my opinion in regards to our chances in the PL. The problem is that we often don't seem to execute it very well for long spells (in my opinion because of a failure by Parker to get the midfield to consistently work as a unit).

filham

If we were to make it into the premier league, and it is a very big if , I think that Parker should continue with his tight and boring tactics and realise that he has an enormous relegation battle from day one to reach a target of 40 points.
The spine of the team , Rodak, Hector and Mitrovic is premier quality so he needs no changes there. A goal poacher to play alongside Mitro is needed, Reid has not achieved enough this season and the back four will need strengthening but he should avoid too many changes, team integrity is important.

bill taylors apprentice

I'm yet to be convinced by SP but I do think he will look at grinding out the points where he can in the first season and have a stronger voice on recruitment.

I believe as he is at the the start of his managerial career he will be patient and aim to take tiny steps progressing his and the clubs future.

The biggest IF for me is what the owners learnt last time and how they view the managers plan for the season.

FulhamStu

Don't get me wrong, I do think we will recruit, what I am saying is recruit for the future.  Not too reliant on loans, maybe a couple of experienced Premier players.  Certainly think Parker will have to get his tactics right.   We really should not play it around at the back too much.  Parker has made adjustments as this season progressed so he may be able to adapt.  Defensively we must be better than last time and yes, Hector will help.  I would personally hope to get Kongolo in permanently as in his short spell he looked like a great partner for Hector plus a good experienced premier quality right back.

And of course, we have a long way to go before this debate becomes real !

St Eve

We get something like 200 million and we have to recruit heavily. Hopefully wisely

Deeping_white

Irrespective of what happens with regards to what division we're in next year, I think we're in a prime position to take advantage financially. FFP will without doubt be voided this year and may never look the same again, and we've got an owner rich enough to cash in on clubs struggling financially to cherry pick their best players

Statto

Quote from: FulhamStu on May 22, 2020, 11:24:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I do think we will recruit, what I am saying is recruit for the future.  Not too reliant on loans, maybe a couple of experienced Premier players. 

I agree with this but your first post, perhaps unintentionally, seems to imply that we'd be more frugal second time around.

This season we've focussed on permanent deals (or loans that we can convert to permanent deals) but we've been far from frugal. The cheque book is still getting waved around.

So I see no reason to think we won't spend another £100m+, just that this time, perhaps it would go on James Maddison type players, on permanent deals, rather than imports/loans

Although with that said, I think it will also depend on the covid-19 situation. I don't buy all this "the world has changed forever" bo11ocks but nonetheless, I can't see any clubs spending much in August if there remains any uncertainty as to whether/when next season will start

FulhamStu

Quote from: Statto on May 22, 2020, 01:38:40 PM
Quote from: FulhamStu on May 22, 2020, 11:24:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I do think we will recruit, what I am saying is recruit for the future.  Not too reliant on loans, maybe a couple of experienced Premier players. 

I agree with this but your first post, perhaps unintentionally, seems to imply that we'd be more frugal second time around.

This season we've focussed on permanent deals (or loans that we can convert to permanent deals) but we've been far from frugal. The cheque book is still getting waved around.

So I see no reason to think we won't spend another £100m+, just that this time, perhaps it would go on James Maddison type players, on permanent deals, rather than imports/loans

Although with that said, I think it will also depend on the covid-19 situation. I don't buy all this "the world has changed forever" bo11ocks but nonetheless, I can't see any clubs spending much in August if there remains any uncertainty as to whether/when next season will start

I agree, not more frugal, but better more long term.   The Khans seem to learn after first making errors, maybe this is because they can afford too.  They have always in my mind tried to do what's best for the team and are now learning its complicated. They want us to be a Premier team, but it's more difficult than just chucking money at it.

The Khans have made errors, but they have consistently learnt from those errors.   Yes, a number of fans don't like rich people and get on their back, however, in my view they will eventually get what they want, a Premier League football team, with a fantastic stadium that will compete well if not necessarily winning everything.

MrFFC

Premier League is always going to be a struggle for most promoted sides no doubt about it but I think Rodak Hector down the spine is a huge upgrade on what we had last time.
IF we manage to get promoted I believe

Rodak Hector Mawson Ream Bryan Cairney Onomah Arter Bobby StefJo Cav Kamara Knockeart Mitro a good base  to start from.

Talented youngsters like Sess Carvalho Stansfield coming through.

4/5 good additions at RB CB CM ST & I think we would have a chance.

I hope we have learned lessons & keep some of the loan players we have even the likes of Harrison Reed etc instead of making wholesale changes. Just 4/5 quality additions of the likes of Ryan Babel etc will give us a chance in my opinion.
Come on you Whites!! :)

@jolslover

Yeah agree, would be happy with like 5/6 quality players for 10-15m mark and then a couple of loans

I think of our current team we definitely have a much stronger base than we did last time

I do think when discussing keeping our loan players we should be wary of signing Arter / Reed on permanents - I wouldn't sign Knockaert on a perm but I'm pretty sure its already agreed but for Arter and Reed we can definitely get a better quality player once we are in the Prem. These two were both deemed not good enough by Prem teams and haven't set the world alight in the Champ. Just my thoughts.

Anyway bit to early to discuss the Prem as of now - lets get there first!
STH H3

filham

Quote from: @jolslover on May 23, 2020, 11:18:40 AM
Yeah agree, would be happy with like 5/6 quality players for 10-15m mark and then a couple of loans

I think of our current team we definitely have a much stronger base than we did last time

I do think when discussing keeping our loan players we should be wary of signing Arter / Reed on permanents - I wouldn't sign Knockaert on a perm but I'm pretty sure its already agreed but for Arter and Reed we can definitely get a better quality player once we are in the Prem. These two were both deemed not good enough by Prem teams and haven't set the world alight in the Champ. Just my thoughts.

Anyway bit to early to discuss the Prem as of now - lets get there first!
I wish the young players you mention were going to be ready for next season but I don't think they will be.

Milo

ChesterTheTabby

Keep Parker - what's he done besides keep us comfortably in the playoffs and making forays into the top 2 all season bar perhaps one small banana slip patch? He's a good gaffer, he's young and learning. As for players, the Kahn's are learning, they're fantastic owners, we are very lucky.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

HV71

Bring back Slav!

Milo -  that is something that would make me very , very happy

Russianrob

Keep Parker.l have shocked myself as l used to be his most severe critic.However have recently come to recognise what a jolly fine decent chap he is.Well suited to Fulham.

Woolly Mammoth

Keep Scott Parker, the Khans appointed him, and so far apart from Scott they have sacked every manager they have appointed, which tells you more about them than the managers they appointed. Too many in a short space of time.
We need stability which is something I hope the owner has become to realise.
Most Managers are aware that they will probably end up getting the sack as they know it comes with that kind of job.
Slavisa being sacked was a huge error of judgement, with or without hindsight, and hiring and firing managers far too quickly due to impatience, stupidity and lack of foresight can become a very bad habit and cause for regret in the long term.
Only one team can win a League, only one team can win a cup.
All managers need time, which is something these days that intolerant owners and supporters conveniently forget in their natural desire for success.
But vision, foresight, responsibility and a great deal of patience is required from owners and fans alike in the majority of cases.
Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire is not advisable.
It's good to have dreams and aspirations as long as they are not fantasies.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Summary of Current Signings for Next Season
Homegrown (9): Rodak, Betts, Christie, Bryan, Hector, Mawson, Onamah, Cairney, Reid
Overseas (10):  Fabri, Ream, MLM, McDonald, Anguissa, Seri, Johansen, Kamara, Mitro and Cav

Planned Improvements
Planned releases to freshen up the squad Ream, McDonald and Johnson
Planned acquisition of existing players including Kongolo, Odoi, Arter and Knockaert (~£30m).
Planned acquisition of new players at RB, LB, DM, RW and Backup-CF, which should cost around £70m.
Any player that the coach thinks is not up for fight is traded  "like for like" at approximately the value sold at.
Loan players used on deadline day to cover any players not performing in pre-season or right player not available.

Final Squad
First XI: Rodak; New RB, New LB, Hector, Kongolo; New DM, Anguissa, Cairney; New RW, Mitro and Cav
Second XI: Betts; Christie, Bryan, Mawson, MLM; Arter, Onamah, Seri; Knockaert, Backup-CF and Reid
Thrid XI: Fabri, S.Sess, Odoi, Kamara and Stanfield

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FulhamStu on May 22, 2020, 08:40:23 AM
Personally I can't see anything other than a massive struggle, I would personally create a 5 year plan that takes into account a very good chance we would be relegated again.

I couldn't agree more, we need to take a good look at acquiring a number of younger players that are useful in the premier league that would almost guarantee a rebound if we went down.

Bringing in players like Matthew Cash-RB, Jay Dasilva-LB, Jude Bellingham-CM, Eberechi Eze-AM, Bryan Mbeuma-RW, and Ollie Watkins-CF, combined with Rodak-GK, S.Sess-RB, Hector-CB, Mawson-CB, Kongolo-CB, Bryan-LB, Onamah-CM, Reid-AM, Kamara-RW, Cav-LW and Stansfield-CF is the kind of under 28yo depth a yo-yo teams need that is 17 younger players that could spend a few years in the Championship.