News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: what's making you happy in these difficult times?

Started by SP, May 22, 2020, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

The arrival today of a VGA cable to connect my tablet to a larger screen is an unexpected cause for celebration.  And, for the first time in months, we're due a Tesco's home delivery on Sunday. What a great start to the bank holiday weekend!

What small victories are people finding?

Southcoastffc

Golf courses beginning to reopen; the old magic is still there!  Runner beans climbing the poles steadily (I'm easily pleased)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

Quote from: SP on May 22, 2020, 05:26:53 PM
The arrival today of a VGA cable to connect my tablet to a larger screen is an unexpected cause for celebration.  And, for the first time in months, we're due a Tesco's home delivery on Sunday. What a great start to the bank holiday weekend!

What small victories are people finding?
I spite of being old and a special case I have failed to get a Tesco Home Delivery since Lockdown started but have manage two Click & Collects which are very good indeed.

H4usuallysitting

I've taken an unhealthy interest in birds....saw a nuthatch....and heard the cuckoo.... strangely, before the lockdown had an unhealthy interest in aeroplanes

Russianrob

Reading studying audiobooks etc etc.Having had an appalling education due to lack of parental motivation and inadequate teachers am discovering subjects that are fascinating.Being semi retired aged 60 helps as does the lockdown.

Statto

The hope that in a few months time we'll all get infected, vaccinated or bored of worrying (I don't care which) and can get on with our lives

Cutler

Alcohol, playing my guitars and working from home.
Nearly forgot Sophie Ellis-Bextor on a Friday evening.

Lighthouse

I have enjoyed reading authors I wouldn't normally enjoy. I like watching things on line or revisiting some great old DVDs I have. I like being alone in the Lighthouse because there is no real change. Having the odd emergency has been interesting because ironically people and tradesman are not busy and want to help.

I haven't needed to bury so many corpses in the garden as there have been fewer visitors. But sadly that is changing now. People telling me of instant doom unless I give them money for work that doesn't need doing. It becomes very tiring. Enjoyed much of the time away from reality. Returning to normal seems like a shame to me.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

every Saturday evening I take part in a "pub quiz" with my 3 girls and their "other halves" via zoom

not the same as physically being together but a nice way to spend an evening

Carborundum

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 22, 2020, 05:31:26 PM
Golf courses beginning to reopen; the old magic is still there!
Tennis courts reopening.  The old magic was mostly in my head and is now proving elusive.  The aches and pains however are exquisitely real. 

Exercise and movement is so important for me to feel good and ward off the blues.  With no swimming and until recently just one hour a day outside, I turned to running and realised I could do 10k in an hour.  Just.  Very satisfying.

A time to count ones blessings whatever they may be.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Apart from my garden looking the best ever on the insistence of my daughter in law I have sat and typed a 20,000 word story of my Scottish ancestry (I am not proud of it!), the hard times endured by my grandmother and family, how she cooked for and my the 20 year old mother to be waited at dinners given for Moseley, the Mitford, other Fascist sympathisers and the Prince of Wales in about 1936. That was before I got on to more recent history and events in my lifetime.
Julian Fellowes gets paid for stuff like that!

Holders

Credit card bills down by 2/3rds, getting lots done in the house and garden.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on May 23, 2020, 12:32:56 PM
Apart from my garden looking the best ever on the insistence of my daughter in law I have sat and typed a 20,000 word story of my Scottish ancestry (I am not proud of it!), the hard times endured by my grandmother and family, how she cooked for and my the 20 year old mother to be waited at dinners given for Moseley, the Mitford, other Fascist sympathisers and the Prince of Wales in about 1936. That was before I got on to more recent history and events in my lifetime.
Julian Fellowes gets paid for stuff like that!

Close encounters with history are interesting, whatever they are, thanks for posting.

I once met a lady who had a 1st edn. Mein Kampf signed by the author, who'd presented it to her as a child. Also have a friend whose mother tended T E Lawrence's room when he was staying in the hotel where she worked and darned his holey socks that he'd put in the bin. My friend is called Laurence and I often wonder...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bobbo

Quote from: Holders on May 23, 2020, 12:46:57 PM
Credit card bills down by 2/3rds, getting lots done in the house and garden.
😜 I go along with the garden bit an last month for the first time in 18 years my Amex card was a great big £0.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Twig

My wife and I bought new road bikes and have got into cycling, my wife for the first time in her life and in my case since I was younger than I care to remember!  I'm loving the sense of freedom I get from just poling off out on a bike and the fitness advantages are a bonus too.

WindyCity

Woolly Mammoth

Now that I have a little more leisure time, I am regularly at home on the punch bag, spread ball and skipping rope. Got myself into a strict split routine with my weights and deadlifting. Sparing regularly with all my sons and the timing and sharpness is coming back, muscle memory and a high protein diet coupled with a shed load of desire.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

kiwian

Working through my music dvds, organising ipod playlists, biking, and coffee dates with my wife in her card shed. We are almost back to normal here, golf course open and able to play for a beer, no new c-19 cases for a week.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Dr Know

I've just sorted out my Dusty Springfield record collection, now I just don't know what to do with myself !

Andy S