watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR DJ's

Started by Russianrob, May 23, 2020, 07:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russianrob

When it comes to your favourite DJ past or present there can only be one winner.Diddy David Hamilton.However an honourable mention should be given to Tony Blackburn.Banal and inane l know but a jolly decent human being in my opinion.Who is your favourite DJ past or present and why?

Dr Know

Tony Blackburn ,Steve Walsh and Greg Edwards .  Greg had a radio programme called soul spectrum, top show . Whilst working in Shepherds Bush back in the 1970s I used to frequent a pub called the Trafalgar where Steve was a DJ , he was another top bloke . So sad when he died aged , I think , 29 . As for Tony , we'll say no more , great bloke .

70sPimlico

Seb Fontaine (despite his club allegiances), Jeremy Healy, Norman Jay...I'm getting old. A bit more up to date, Skream is pretty damn good.

Slight change of genre but it's what I saw the title

filham

Someone had best try to come up with a female DJ as we are at risk of being labelled sexist, I can't think of one.

Andy S

It was never Diddy David A Tv announcer that got lucky. Tony Blackburn was ok saved by his love of Soul Music but for me the all time great is Johnnie Walker. He knows the right amount about music and is a really nice guy. I interviewed him a few years ago on Hospital Radio. I remember te late Stuart Henry who always came over as a nice guy. Gary Davis and Ken Bruce have to be up there as well. I never warmed to Kid Jenson or Ed Stewart. Steve Wright has always been up himself and not good. Talks overtop of records and regards himself as the talent. I do not know why the BBC employ him.

Russianrob

Ann Nightingale.Does Janet street Porter count and she has vague Fulham connections.

sunburywhite

Quote from: filham on May 23, 2020, 09:38:43 AM
Someone had best try to come up with a female DJ as we are at risk of being labelled sexist, I can't think of one.
Quote from: filham on May 23, 2020, 09:38:43 AM

Virtually all of them just want to talk and talk, just play the bloody record
Anne Frankenstein (real name) on Jazz FM is very good though, loves her music and doesnt want to blather on about babies and shopping
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

WhiteJC

I really used to like Roger Scott on Capital, also from the same era Dave Cash and of course Kenny Everett

bog

Johnny Walker for me.

092.gif

ffcne

Mike Read, Mike Read 275 and 285 .
Mike Read Mike Read National Radio 1.
A jingle from the 80's
Remembering singing that at the top of Ayers Rock .
People used to send in a postcard saying where they had sung the jingle
Which i duly did !!!!
Mad i know, but that was the 80s

ffcne

Anyone else frequent the Walton Hop in the 70's?

Holders

When I was a kid and listened to "pop" music I just liked John Peel; all the others were so utterly wet and just played chart stuff.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HV71

Paul Gambaccini, Johnnie Walker, Ken Bruce , Sara Cox and the late, great , Ray Moore. All of them have great voices/accents.

ALG01

Bill2

Of the ones about today it has to be Ken Bruce but historically it has to be Sir Terry Wogan. He played some great music for people of a certain age and had the best interaction with his listeners. His Janet and John stories had me in stitches, great entertainment.

Lighthouse

Alkan Prisongirl from Russian Prison Radio 'The clock on the wall says it's time to call so let's truck on down to the latest sounds'
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Texas White

Quote from: 70sPimlico on May 23, 2020, 09:18:37 AM
Seb Fontaine (despite his club allegiances), Jeremy Healy, Norman Jay...I'm getting old. A bit more up to date, Skream is pretty damn good.

Slight change of genre but it's what I saw the title

Tall Paul

Twig

John Peel and Mike Raven were my heroes. In the 60's and 70's they championed music that no other DJ or station would risk.  I was always glued to their programmes and often recorded them on my old reel to reel tape deck.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Kenny Everett and John Peel (who gave a lot of new acts a chance)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

bobbo

Quote from: Andy S on May 23, 2020, 09:54:20 AM
It was never Diddy David A Tv announcer that got lucky. Tony Blackburn was ok saved by his love of Soul Music but for me the all time great is Johnnie Walker. He knows the right amount about music and is a really nice guy. I interviewed him a few years ago on Hospital Radio. I remember te late Stuart Henry who always came over as a nice guy. Gary Davis and Ken Bruce have to be up there as well. I never warmed to Kid Jenson or Ed Stewart. Steve Wright has always been up himself and not good. Talks overtop of records and regards himself as the talent. I do not know why the BBC employ him.
i like everything you said there Andy s , I've said it before but ray Moore from the past radio 2 breakfast time no longer with us sadly , a wicked scouse sense of humour. But as fro the now , Ken Bruce.
1975 just leaving home full of hope