watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How is football getting away with it?

Started by domprague, May 23, 2020, 01:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domprague

My understanding is that the majority of the workforce must work from home right now. The exceptions are for key workers so how does that apply to football?
It seems ridiculous that there's this push to finish the season while we're still under lockdown. I might have got it wrong - do please correct - but the Bundesliga reopened as part of a wider relaxing of the German lockdown.
How can a contact sport start up when the country is being told you can't go and see both parents at the same time?
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Statto

Well for a start football is different because the players will be tested twice per week and checked daily for symptoms. But in any case, the lockdown for all of society will be partially released on Monday. You'll be able to walk into Primark and buy some slippers which is hardly essential. Then in another month it will be almost entirely released. And my understanding is that football won't be starting much (if at all) before that anyway.

Holders

From today's news it now seems to be voluntary anyway.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

People have been told they should  return to work if they are unable to work from home -  this was from last Wednesday, or was it the Wednesday before? I lose track of time.

Many people on furlough have  suddenly been made redundant, as  firms returning  to do business can no longer afford to employ them, and they obviously can't stay furloughed.

Witness the packed London Tubes, though they have remained pretty packed throughout the crisis, with 'essential' workers, who include  supermarket and food shop  workers, as well as the army of carers and  NHS staff in London, mail workers,  binmen, cleaners etc. Also  a lot building work seems to have kept going throughout.

Footballers do, you could argue provide an important, if not essential , role in society - helping people  escape their problems  and give them something to look forward to.
Also, they can't work from home.

I think they will be  about the least at risk group in society, with all the stringent testing and medical back up.
The football authorities know they can't get this wrong, and that critical eyes will be on them, looking for any excuse to call it all off.

domprague

Thanks for the responses. I feel confused by what we can and can't do right now.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.