watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our Best Post War Striker

Started by filham, May 23, 2020, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

I imagine we have had threads like tis before but it I need to get back to talking football rather than all the fringe topics and what interests us more than our favourite goal scorers.
So here is a list of our top 13 strikers since WW2, choose your favourite and the one who you would like to see , rejuvenated to his peak, now playing alongside Mitro.

1. Ronnie Rooke
The one in this list that I never saw play but he was a goal machine and the favourite of the Fulham fans in my School play ground. I am aware that Arsenal snatched him from us and his goals saved them from relegation and then in the following season helped the win the 1st division title.
A word or two from any one who saw him play would be of interest.

2. Arthur Rowley
The centre forward bought in in 1949 that heled us to our first ever promotion into the top flight and scored regularly.
On the heavy side and not fast but a lethal left foot. He left us and moved around the lower divisions and just went on scoring goal after goal.

3.Beddy Jezzard
One of our own and part of our best ever strike force , Haynes/ Robson/ Jezzard , that just couldn't stop scoring. Beddy had raw pace and was the perfect player to take advantage of the service provided by Haynes.

4.Graham Leggat
A Scottish international signed as a winger but found his best form playing in a more central role where he became a top goal poacher.

5.Steve Earl
Another player who started on the wing but put in his best performances at centre forward. He had good ball control and pace. In partnership with Conway and Barret provided a really silky smooth looking attack.

6.Alan Clarke
A high priced purchase who showed great skill in front of goal but left when we were relegated. Became better known when he moved to Leeds.

7.Malcolm MacDonald
Not given much opportunity at the Cottage but  had a top career at Arsenal and Newcastle where he was a fans favourite.

8.John Mitchell
Always gave maximum effort and I will always remember that great goal in the FA Cup semi final against Birmingham.

9.Ivor
Well what can be said about Ivor, signed for a song and gave us so, so much for so long.

10.Leroy Rossenior
Played for us durin the doldrum years when as a team we achieved litte. He was full of effort and a crowd pleaser.

11. Louis Saha
Fitted well into that great Tigana team , new where the goal was and we were sorry when he was taken from us by Man.U.

12.Bobby Zamora
Some of us didn't take to him immediately but after a season or so we began to realise how good he was. He was terrific in the run to the Euro final.

13.Brian McBride.
What a player, so full of effort and so missed when he left us.

I just can't bring myself to choose my best or favourite from that list, Beddy jezzard was so good but how can I possibly choose him and leave out Brian McBride.

What I can say though is that I wold just love to see Ivor playing along side Mitro, the combination would be lethal and we would catch Leeds in the remaining nine matches of this season.

RaySmith

Great list filham - shows the talent we've had at Fulham. Impossible to choose a favourite from that list.

I always have affection for Maurice Cook  - the first striker i  saw playing for Fulham.

He had great strength in the air, and scored some brilliant goals, going in where it hurts -  a bit like Mitro in that respect, though not as good with the  ball at his feet

YankeeJim

What? No Mitro?

My favorite was and is McBride. He is what brought me to Fulham and just for that I owe him a bunch. His heart was as big as all outdoors.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Whitestone

Alan Clarke and Louis Saha for their quality which ultimately led to transfers to championship winning teams at the time. But my all time favourite is Brian McBride, maybe not as good as the other two but he just had something about him on and off the pitch. One of those rare legendary players to grace the Cottage.

Plodder

Arthur Scargill and Mick McGahey.

Peabody

A great list Filham, a list I couldn't disagree with. Technically, I did see Ronnie Rooke play and score but it was my very first game and I was seven years old, so I am really not in a position to say what he was like. What I can say is, that if it wasn't for Ww2, then I believe he would have been up there as our highest scorer. Sorry Ivor..

Woolly Mammoth

Although i remember him making his debut at right back, I never had the pleasure of seeing enough of Super Mac Malcolm Macdonald in a Fulham Shirt in his prime due to the fact we seem to play him at full back as well as Centre Forward, before selling him for peanuts. I have to place him in my four favourite strikers along with Louis Saha, Bryan McBride and Alan Clarke. ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️ I just cannot separate them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 23, 2020, 06:52:45 PM
What? No Mitro?

My favorite was and is McBride. He is what brought me to Fulham and just for that I owe him a bunch. His heart was as big as all outdoors.
Quote from: YankeeJim on May 23, 2020, 06:52:45 PM
What? No Mitro?

I am hoping to see more of Mitro and another season or two with us and he will be up there with those others listed.
Yes, McBride all you could ever wish to see as a striker, straight out of those boys papers I used to read at school, a real hero.

SuffolkWhite

IVOR, he is the record holder!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

BestOfBrede

No Busby, Hayles, Horsfield, McCormack, Dembele?
Not that it matters as Ivor is the man imo

MrFFC

Come on you Whites!! :)

St Eve

All great but there was something special about sniffer Clarke, super Mitch and Saha

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

ffcne

bog

Quote from: Peabody on May 23, 2020, 07:55:34 PM
A great list Filham, a list I couldn't disagree with. Technically, I did see Ronnie Rooke play and score but it was my very first game and I was seven years old, so I am really not in a position to say what he was like. What I can say is, that if it wasn't for Ww2, then I believe he would have been up there as our highest scorer. Sorry Ivor..

Peabody, I am very envious of you for seeing Ronnie play.  :54:

092.gif

mrmicawbers

Leggat and Clarke from way back,Ivor,Saha and Mitro.

filham

Quote from: bog on May 24, 2020, 09:55:44 AM
Quote from: Peabody on May 23, 2020, 07:55:34 PM

Peabody, I am very envious of you for seeing Ronnie play.  :54:

092.gif
I also wished I had seen Ronnie Rooke, I was a late developer and arrived at the Cottage just a little too late.

bog

I agree with all the names here but one I wish to add...Roy Dwight. Came through our yoof set up where he was very prolific from the wing, also played at centre forward, 54 goals in 72 games. 1954-1958.  I  was very upset when he went to Notts Forest. Broke his leg in the 1959 Cup Final, after scoring, and was never really the same again.   

092.gif

filham

Quote from: BestOfBrede on May 23, 2020, 10:10:38 PM
No Busby, Hayles, Horsfield, McCormack, Dembele?
Not that it matters as Ivor is the man imo
The list was straight out of my old memory which is not too bad at the older things but unreliable at more recent events.
I plead guilty at overlooking Barry Hayles, no excuses he should certainly be on my list if only for the two goals I saw him score at White Hart Lane.
Also I have a lot of time for Horsefield he was a good old fashioned centre forward that always gave maximum effort. However , would not put McCormck or Dembele on my list, never sure they had Fulham at heart.

Teddy Maybank is perhaps worth a mention , he was always good value as was Dean Coney. Dean's best period was in the McDonald team when he formed such a good partnership with Ivor.

Can anyone remember that season when we played a 4-3-3 formation and tried three big strong recognised centre forwards as the front three, it didn't work out too well. I think the three strikers may have been Maybanks, Mitchel and Warboys, am I right and can anyone remind me about Warboys, I don't think he was with us for long.