watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Maestro - Has anyone got?

Started by Fernhurst, May 24, 2020, 10:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Any footage of Johnny at his impervious best? Spraying pinpoint passes and sending the winger to the byline with a sumptuous pass inside the fullback.
Would love to demonstrate to my Grandsons just how good our Captain was.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

I think there is very little Fernhurst. Fleeting glimpses in black and white images. I think You tube is the best place to try. Some of his games for us are on there plus glimpses of England internationals. I wish that England Schoolboy's v Scotland Schoolboy's in 1950 had been filmed when he introduced the world to his skills! I have the programmes for this game and the return a few weeks later North of the Border.

092.gif     

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Holders

Yep, nothing could get through him!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

Wonderful footage Sunburywhite thanks for that.  049:gif

092.gif

Fernhurst

That's more like it, thank you so much Sunbury.
Very difficult to compare with modern day but enough footage to show how proud we all were when he represented our country.

filham

Some interesting footage but of course those old newsreel clips are just not up to the standard of modern TV pictures. Afraid they are not going to portray the total genius that was Haynes and have to be backed with the written word and verbal descriptions from those of us that saw him play.
I have a great picture of Haynes leaving three Liverpool players standing behind him as his body swerves leaves them standing. This picture is worth showing around.
We talk a lot about the fact that Haynes has to be the world's best passer of the ball and that he could read the game so well. Lets not forget his ball control, shooting and work rate were also pretty good.

mrmicawbers

Thanks for the footage looks like smokeless Coal hadn't come in.Grim

Cambridge Pete

Thanks for posting the footage. Took me back to when I were a nipper. All the better when you remember the weight of the ball (worse if wet) in those days.

sunburywhite

Quote from: filham on May 24, 2020, 01:41:38 PM
Some interesting footage but of course those old newsreel clips are just not up to the standard of modern TV pictures. Afraid they are not going to portray the total genius that was Haynes and have to be backed with the written word and verbal descriptions from those of us that saw him play.
I have a great picture of Haynes leaving three Liverpool players standing behind him as his body swerves leaves them standing. This picture is worth showing around.
We talk a lot about the fact that Haynes has to be the world's best passer of the ball and that he could read the game so well. Lets not forget his ball control, shooting and work rate were also pretty good.

And he played on pitches that were worse than those behind Wormwood Scrubs that I Used to play on in the 70's

SG

Quote from: sunburywhite on May 24, 2020, 06:48:16 PM

And he played on pitches that were worse than those behind Wormwood Scrubs that I Used to play on in the 70's

I remember playing at Wormwood Scrubs mid 70s. Camden Sunday League I think. Not the best pitches

bobbo

yep well said , plus he was England captain for the 1962 World Cup.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Fernhurst

Jimmy Greaves once said Johnny's injury up in Blackpool was a tragedy for him.
"I was on the same wavelength as Johnny and he could spot my runs quicker than anybody".
"If he stayed fit I would have made the World Cup team".

Fernhurst

Thank you so much Blingo, I was at that game and it brought back so many memories. Cracking goal by The Maestro eclipsed Charlton, Law and Best on the day.

If you are the original Blingo welcome back to the board  :54:

blingo

Its me Ferny, and I was there also.

ron

I liked Bob Danvers Walker's commentary on the Italy game when he said that Ron Flowers was off with a broken nose...and later said that he was STILL off with a broken nose......

Expectations a bit higher then than in the powder puff game today then....

Tonywa

Quote from: sunburywhite on May 24, 2020, 11:31:27 AM
In fact there are loads on here

https://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/johnny+haynes

Wonderful thanks.  Amazing to see those old-style mud heaps of pitches with the goalmouths packed with sand. Incredible how a player like John could pass so superbly in this conditions.

Fulham1959

Quote from: blingo on May 25, 2020, 09:26:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUo8CpL9OjU

Pity it's only part of the match, but great to see.  Points to note :

1.  They spelt Haynes as Haines in the line-up.
2.  Goalkeepers playing in bare hands - none of today's clown-gloves.
3.  Massive long-throw from Jim Langley.
4.  it's 56 years ago . . . Oh my !