more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR DJ's

Started by Russianrob, May 23, 2020, 07:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: Twig on May 23, 2020, 01:45:30 PM
John Peel and Mike Raven were my heroes. In the 60's and 70's they championed music that no other DJ or station would risk.  I was always glued to their programmes and often recorded them on my old reel to reel tape deck.

John Peel gave a big leg up to many acts, who became big, who probably wouldn't have been initially played on radio otherwise, including Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, Marc Bolan,  a lot of Prog Rock which i wasn't that interested in, Pink Floyd, German  bands , The....Pistols and  punk acts generally like The Undertones- their  Teenage Kicks was his favourite record https://youtu.be/ZPzyN8Qq5XA ,
The Fall - his favourite  band, The Pogues, kevin Coyne, Billy Bragg, Loudon Wainwright, reggae bands, too many acts to mention, and  a lot more probably after i stopped listening in the  80's.

As a young teenager i listened to Alan Fluff Freeman  with the charts, and radio Luxembourg, but Peel is  the about only one I've listened to since.

sunburywhite

When I was about 16 I used to go with some matesd to see the John Peel show recorded in the BBC studios in Lower Regent Street

Saw them all in my time, Genesis, Strawbs, Family, Focus

Some amazing bands
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

RaySmith

You bring back memories sunbury - great bands.

I saw Focus at Fairfield Hall in Croydon, and bought their records Jan Akkerman on guitar, and yodelling.

Family with rRger Chapman, and the Strawbs -  who had some great hits, folk rock, with Sandy Denny singing with them when she started out -  a great version of Who Knows Where the Time Goes.

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Holders

Quote from: RaySmith on May 23, 2020, 05:44:22 PM

I saw Focus at Fairfield Hall in Croydon, and bought their records Jan Akkerman on guitar, and yodelling.

Family with rRger Chapman, and the Strawbs -  who had some great hits, folk rock, with Sandy Denny singing with them when she started out -  a great version of Who Knows Where the Time Goes.

Good calls. I used to go to Fairfield to see Curved Air. It was Thijs van Leer who did the yodelling.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

Quote from: sunburywhite on May 23, 2020, 05:37:36 PM
When I was about 16 I used to go with some matesd to see the John Peel show recorded in the BBC studios in Lower Regent Street

Saw them all in my time, Genesis, Strawbs, Family, Focus

Some amazing bands

I went to those BBC studios too. I remember seeing Led Zep in their early days. 

sunburywhite

Quote from: RaySmith on May 23, 2020, 05:44:22 PM

I saw Focus at Kingston Poly

All the band went off stage for (what seemed 20 minutes) for the most amazing drum solo
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Twig

I took a new girlfriend to K Poly to see Quintessence and Savoy Brown. Great night but we missed the last bus home. Had to call her mum and get a lift, wasn't the best start to a beautiful relationship!

Dodgin

David Lowe on Riviera FM and online down in Torquay, mainly pre 60s, Great American Songbook, Swing and Dance Bands, class UK and USA singers.

ALG01

Quote from: domprague on May 24, 2020, 02:44:43 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on May 23, 2020, 11:46:44 AM
David rodigan

You beat me to it.

the man is a genuine legend who has done more to promote a much neglected art form.
he looks like a failed civil servant but plays the most brilliant sounds.
i saw him on the politics show some months ago and he played wonderful sounds.

the inane banality of many of the DJs being talked about here is a great pity.
love 70s and 80s dance hall and in summer it often the only sounds that fit the heat.